Tails/Ears with physics inertia

can i only use "capsuels"? i don't think that sort of shape would fit a tail, i was thinking more "cylinder".

all of my work in JFF so far is guessing/trial and error. 

I'm going to make a little diagram/guide of the cylinder collision hopefully someone can fill in the blanks/correct my mistakes.

EDIT: ok here is the text;

hkpCylinderShape

Vertex 1

X - left/right offset of the start of the cylinder in reference of the bone?

Y - up/down offset of the start of the cylinder in reference of the bone?

Z - forwards/backwards offset of the start of the cylinder in reference of the bone?

Vertex 2

X - left/right offset of the end of the cylinder in reference of the bone?

Y - up/down offset of the start of the cylinder in reference of the bone?

Z - forwards/backwards offset of the start of the cylinder in reference of the bone?

Radius

Thickness of the cyllinder shape between the 2 vertex's

Marguin

???? completly uknown (possibly length of shape, only possibility i can think of

This is complete guess work and I have not tested any of it. I have another theory of this but Im not sure if either are true. this one seems to make more sense.

If someone could clear up the confusion/ tell me what is wrong...

If you make a shape in max, say a cylinder, you can turn it into a rigid body and set its shape to convex. JFF can probably only be used for simple/premade xmls, so if you plan on making shapes other than capsules/spheres/ boxes then you'll have to do it using max.

i will hold off of buying 3ds max as long as possible as i don't see me using it much, other than skyrim modding.

@b00marrows

Your Y and Z axis are flipped.

Standard in 3-D space is Y-axis is actually in/out and Z-axis is Up/Down

(Dam you college physics!)

Well at least you don't have to do anything for rotation, learning the right hand rules sucks :(

@b00marrows

Your Y and Z axis are flipped.

Standard in 3-D space is Y-axis is actually in/out and Z-axis is Up/Down

(Dam you college physics!)

Well at least you don't have to do anything for rotation, learning the right hand rules sucks :(

I'm running by my experience with skeleton editing. to extend the length of a tail I need to extend the Z axis which pushes it backwards.

but than I looked at some other bones and they seem to use Z to go up and down... maybe it depends on the bone it is extending from?

I'm running by my experience with skeleton editing. to extend the length of a tail I need to extend the Z axis which pushes it backwards.

but than I looked at some other bones and they seem to use Z to go up and down... maybe it depends on the bone it is extending from?

You sir may be indeed right, I should have put a disclaimer on my post as I've only ever worked with the normal bones in JFF (which to my knowledge follows the same standard protocol)

Also, you can indeed make hkpconvexshapes as canderes had posted, but you'll need to be a math/physics genius to figure out the shape without the help of a visual aid. =/

You sir may be indeed right, I should have put a disclaimer on my post as I've only ever worked with the normal bones in JFF (which to my knowledge follows the same standard protocol)

Also, you can indeed make hkpconvexshapes as canderes had posted, but you'll need to be a math/physics genius to figure out the shape without the help of a visual aid. =/

hey, don't put yourself down. everything I have done on this thread is GUESS WORK (including that back there). I knew nothing before I started here.

ill probably figure it out with hour's of trial and error if no-one answerers, like I did with constraints.

I had a look at 3ds max, i made an agreement with myself to never subscribe to anything ever again (after my WOW incident). and I AM NOT PAYING £3300 (no added 0's there) for a 3d image editng software!

3dsmax has student versions freely available to download as well.

But regardless, you can also try using Blender (v 2.49) and try this guide:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Making_Havok_ragdolls_in_Blender

nah, i think ill stick to the guns I have. I'm a little bit fed up of learning new software haha! but I might look into blender in the future, thanks for the link.

I think I have come to a new conclusion. if the vertex's in collision work the same as the ones in constraints than I have it down, ill test either tonight or tomurrow morning. not sure how thick i should make the collision radius... I think 3 will do for now. ( i have NO IDEA how thick "3" is HAHA!)

OK, i did a quick test:

post-116859-0-90378000-1391735649_thumb.jpg

Not sure if collision or just troll...

NEXT TEST = add larger sphere to tail tip. maybe change it to a capsule.

I came up with another "theory" or how the cylinder collision works:

hkpCylinderShape

Vertex 1 - shape in 1 direction

X - left/right offset of the start of shape?

Y - up/down offset of the start of shape?

Z - forwards/backwards AKA length of shape?

Vertex 2 - shape in the oposit direction

X - left/right offset of the end of opposite shape

Y - up/down offset of the start of opposite shape

Z - forwards/backwards AKA length of other shape

Radius

Thickness of the shape's.

Marguin

still compleetly unknown....

only problem is knowing which way the vertex controls.

this is all in reference of the bone that the collision is placed upon. once again this is all guess work.

GOD DAMMIT! why is there not just a program that lets me just preview my .XML files! URGH

im going to just try adding a long collision rod to the end of the tail and see if it works...

EDIT: RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-116859-0-85798000-1391870321_thumb.jpgpost-116859-0-90025600-1391870330_thumb.jpg

Slightly visible on the standing one but there is a little bend where the cylinder is  "scraping" along the floor, you can DEFINITELY see it on the crouching one!

This tells me that:

1. I'm getting somewhere again!

2. Collision is possible between multiple .XML files attached to the same object!

3. Yoo's floor.XML is amazing!

3. I'm not a worthless moron!

Next i need to:

1. Actually find out the shapes i need.

2. Test collision between separate .XML files loaded on separate body parts.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I have been messing with JFF and my .xml on and off for a few weeks...I hit a dead end with my current knowledge and am unable to get a agreeably working movement to the tail... I cant seem to get a movement that i would call a tail, im not sure what it is...

I'm going t do 1 last play around tomurrow morning and post the results, please tell me what you think

I actually think you can get neckros's 3DSMax toolset to make your longed for Tail physics (You might need to experiment with weight strengths though)

It seems fairly simple with his toolset and video guide. I might try taking a crack at it when I get some more free time, if only to just start getting the hang of Havok in 3DSMax :)

I actually think you can get neckros's 3DSMax toolset to make your longed for Tail physics (You might need to experiment with weight strengths though)

It seems fairly simple with his toolset and video guide. I might try taking a crack at it when I get some more free time, if only to just start getting the hang of Havok in 3DSMax :)

Would that not require 3ds max to start? because i'm not buying/renting that expensive software.

Will this be for all females or just khajit females?

I'm hoping to have all tails done at the end male and female and MAYBE more E.G: Werewolves.

Argonian tails will be a more restricted in up and down movement and maybe move a bit slower all together.

I'm insure about the werewolf tail as I don't know how it works...

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3ds-max

Max costs a shitload of money only if you are going to use it for commertial propouses.

The student version has THE SAME stuff but leave a "Watermark" on your files.

So I just lie about being a student? not sure about the legality of that...

I'm working on an "update" now, will post it soon

EDIT:

Here it is the "latest version" V0.4

Added legs.xml from Yoo

having trouble with "infinite movement"... need to set up cone and twist properly (unintuative names) twist = up and down, cone = left and right

TailV0.4.7z

Which version of HDT should I be using to test your tail?

With tail v0.4 and HDT v2-28-2014 (most recent version) the tail doesn't fall it just kinda floats there. Also when I walk the end of the tail moves much slower than my character walks so the tail stretches out and then goes crazy till the end catches up. Is this expected for the current version of the tail?

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3ds-max

Max costs a shitload of money only if you are going to use it for commertial propouses.

The student version has THE SAME stuff but leave a "Watermark" on your files.

So I just lie about being a student? not sure about the legality of that...

I'm working on an "update" now, will post it soon

EDIT:

Here it is the "latest version" V0.4

Added legs.xml from Yoo

having trouble with "infinite movement"... need to set up cone and twist properly (unintuative names) twist = up and down, cone = left and right

Depends on your school, if you arent part of one, sorry then. The other way would be to ask for a licence to someone, Max has a "Licence Borrowind" system, but of course, you need to find someone willing to borrow you a license which is kinda... impossible.

If twist value means up and down for you, its because the pivot of your constraint is wrongly aligned.