IGNORED

alternate to "that" mod site

MonkeyShoulder

Hey guys I'm sure you already know this but I just thought I'd point you all to an alternate modding site to "TheNazius" which is curse.com.

http://www.curse.com/mods/skyrim

Its an already MASSIVE site for MMOs (mainly WoW) but its now moving into single player games for Mods and I have noticed there are some of the more popular mods moving there.

I do not know their policy for adult mods but any non-adult mod made should be put there, and adult mods if possible.

If it can be made into competition for thenexus then it might make them re-examine their moderation policies.

curse. gmod (not to be confused with garry's mod) and a few other places did not exactly make any friends in the modding community. the big problem is that they just dont get that you cannot take it upon yourself to create user accounts for modders, upload there work, leach bandwidth, and spam people to use a service that they did want and to top it all off force users into using download managers and installers.

the only one that I see as having potential to compete with nexus is steam, and we will see how that goes soon enough.

Wow didnt know they did all that. Hope steams enforcement of modder rights ends up being better than Curse. We know it'll be less restrictive and douchey then the nexus.

what scares me about steam, is that I have feeling there adventure in hosting mods will turn into the eventual sale of mods. I give it a year or two for market research another year to hammer out deals with publishers and then its essentially game over for free modding communities.

Wow didnt know they did all that. Hope steams enforcement of modder rights ends up being better than Curse. We know it'll be less restrictive and douchey then the nexus.

what scares me about steam' date=' is that I have feeling there adventure in hosting mods will turn into the eventual sale of mods. I give it a year or two for market research another year to hammer out deals with publishers and then its essentially game over for free modding communities.

[/quote']

If anything you would just see a return to free modding communities. If steam holds all the rights to any mod you host, how many modders are going to willingly use it?

It has to become popular to present an issue.

Edit: I mean look at DoTA, and TF2, if anyone is a bastion for modders rights, it's Valve. Allthough their plan seems to be to buy you straight out.

GSBModders wrote:

what scares me about steam, is that I have feeling their adventure in hosting mods will turn into the eventual sale of mods. I give it a year or two for market research another year to hammer out deals with publishers and then its essentially game over for free modding communities.

Ah. You may well be onto something.

Essentially modding is permitted or "encouraged" because it has been seen as unprofitable to enforce any sort of IPR legislation on modders, who after all contribute significantly to the shelf life of the product.

If, hypothetically, modding could be channelled down a controllable route then all that creative potential could be harnessed and ultimately, milked. A dollar a download would make a tidy sum.

Of course, you could weed out all the undesirable stuff too.

With a well established and herd accepted route for modding, the IPR of the game company could be enforced simply by subpoenaing alternative hosts - say LoversLab - as mere Pirates abusing the copyrighted material of the original game. No outrage, as the Corporation actively "encourages" modding through its own wholesome and well-defended commercial outlet (in this case Steam).

You're a farsighted chap GSB.

I don't think that the Steam mod database is going to be able to charge money for mods for the PC any time in the near future; there are simply too many alternatives that people are used to using.

I do see them charging console users for ported mods, though. The free PC mod system will allow them to identify the mods worth porting over to the consoles, and they could hire some slave labor to carry out the grunt work. Split the fees with the original modder, and everyone is happy. Even the console dudes and dudettes are happy, because now they have mods, when before they didn't. They have to pay for them, but they also know that the mods possess a certain amount of quality. And the rates could be pretty low, since there is only a small amount of professional time invested in any mod.

The only question I can foresee is the one of mod updates; they will still cost money to port over tot he consoles, but it would kill the business model to charge for them (unless they add something as opposed to just fixing something). It is possible that Steam will wait until a mod is fully stable/tested before porting it, so the mods are all essentially "finished" before the port. Dunno how that would sit with the console gamers who would have to hear for a year about how great, say, Fallout Wanderer's Edition was before they ever got a chance to get it.

Still, that's where I see this Steam thing going, and I think it is a winner for everyone.

Archived