Gauging Interest: Automatic nif converter (Oblivion to Skyrim, Fallout to Skyrim)

gerra6

Last week, I started porting my Blender scripts to a stand-alone framework that does not require importing nifs or 3d modeling programs, a framework that should ideally work on any nif from any game.

The goal is to automate the boring tasks so that modders can focus their time on the fun stuff.

One of these tools is my new Bone Weight Copy tool,  currently in Beta

I just finished coding an update that accurately copies the scene root, bones, boneweights, skinning, BSDismemberSkinInstances, and dismember partitions from a template mesh to as many target meshes as you want.

And I realized something.  With a few adjustments in the code, this tool can take a posed Oblivion or Fallout mesh and turn it into a fully rigged Skyrim mesh with one click.  Or it could take a Skyrim mesh and convert it to Oblivion or Fallout, etc.

Is there interest in a stand-alone tool that can accomplish this?

And, if I decide to put the time into this tool, does anyone have any requests?

I would be interested in this concept, as far as I know there exists something similar for 3DSMax in the form of the Oblivion > Skyrim skeleton. No reverse skeletons exist right now. Not sure what the demand for the reverse is, but Oblivion sure has a lot of nice looking armors.

I was wondering if there was a way to convert a T-posed non-nif mesh into a Skyrim body pose mesh. One of the big problems I am having right now are sleeved armor conversions. Moving from the T-pose to the Skyrim pose isn't easy. I've tried copying elements with manual rotation but no luck at this point. The armor either comes out weird or has ugly seams around the shoulder joints. Not sure if an automated program would help, but I bet it would be much easier than doing it manually.

post-143106-0-99695400-1388743412_thumb.png

Here's what I would try.  Note, I don't have max or maya, so my scripts are either stand-alone or Blender.

You'll need Blender 2.49, my stand-alone boneweight copy script, and Pose Converter.

1. Export the T-Posed non-nif mesh as a nif.

2. Rig the raw nif as an Oblvion nif using the boneweight copy tool with an Oblivion mesh template

3. Import into Blender 2.49

4. Run Pose Converter and convert mesh from Oblivion (T) pose to Skyrim pose

5. Export the mesh *without* an armature. (this should give you a raw unskinned nif)

6. Run the boneweight copy tool again, but this time use a Skyrim template.

7. Open the nif in nifskope and run the Build Partitions batch spell.

With luck, that mesh should be ready to go after that.

Now, what I'm thinking about coding is a tool that could eliminate several of those steps.  Essentially, it could take a nif, apply a pose to convert it between Oblivion, Fallout, or Skyrim poses, and delete the current bones and skinning, and then copy all of the necessary rigging/partitions/etc from an appropriate template nif.

The only piece of that which might be a problem is automating the pose conversions.  I've got a code base from the Pose Converter experiment that I could probably use for the purpose, so it might work...

A tool like this would be very useful to me, a total modeling noob, who just wants some different armors in his game . Even with the several posts with instructions on this site i somehow mange to fail  converting some Oblivion armor to Skyrim. :P Converting it with just one click would be much easier and i for one would be very grateful if this was realized . :)

Guest Ragna_Rok

I have been wondering, With all the different body types. Why not make something that convert the armors and clothing to the body types. A one type fits all. Or is it that some modders find certain body types easier to work with?

well, because its all about boobs. some play big boobs, some play small boobs, some want gigantic boobs, other small small boobs, some want big booty, some small booty, some gigantic booty, and the mixes in between. then we got also the body for muscular chicks so buffed that they put my berserk-orc to shame... well. guess im a minority here with not using any body mod at all, i roam skyrim mainly to slaughter stuff :)

but hey, everyone as he wants, just my opinion.

from my point of view its only a boob-decision on what to work with, theres no difference in time if i work on a regular body armor or a boob-armor, skinning and weighting should work the same. its like, you prefer red or green apples? matter of taste, nothing more.

ps: and the worst is that the skeletons / bodies of some mods arent on the same coordinates so you have to adjust your armors to the body you design them for... *sigh*

edit: oh hey, if that conversion thingy works, i have about a hundred weapons and some armors i would like to adjust for oblivion, so i am definitely interested, i will check back after exams when i have holidays.

• 1 month later...

Hallo gerra6!

I think this tool would be great and you should absolutely make it. Rilax is right with his statement. For peple who haven't any experience with 3D modelling programs it's extremely difficult to do this without such a tool. I searched for a possibility how to do this, but the tutorials I found were much too difficult for me. I Also still like to play Oblivion and Fallout. Would it also be possible to convert creatures like ghouls or super mutants to both of the elder scrolls games or with ocreatures from this games the other way around. Perhaps you could implemt a function which would automatically rig for example a Skyrim giant or a super mutant to an ogre or xivilai skeleton. Things like this would be very cool. I think if one owns both games it wouldn't be illegal. I hope my propositions weren`t to far fetched.

• 3 months later...

Being able to upconvert and downconvert would be wonderful.
I've been trying to find some way to convert FONV files to Skyrim so I could take advantage of the wonderful Outfit Studio made for it.

This would be an amazing tool.

Sorry to Necro an old thread, just want to show my support of the idea.

• 1 month later...

I would seriously love to have this work for objects too. I have seen some nice statues and things like that which would be nice in New Vegas/FO3, but importing them doesn't work since the nifs use a different setup than each other. If you're still serious about this, are you still working on it?

• 5 months later...

Archived