Need Advice on PC Upgrades

DaemonGrin

Looks good! A while back I went from 2 to 4 screens, can't go back now. One was done for a little while (needed a displayport -> dvi cable) and even with three I was suffering.

If you're not done spending, a suggestion: http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails/tabid/65/PRDID/354/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Does wonders for desk space. They also have an accessory kit that raises the two screens up higher by using a taller base. Mine barely works with two 22" screens on bottom and two 19" on top.

Looks nice! Just curious,Did you assemble yourself or did you have a local shop do it? Also it looks pretty close to my system.I just used a I-7 cpu and NVidia cards.Hope you enjoy.

I did it myself. Not an easy task when you have bear paws for hands XD. I wasn't impressed with the i7 specs over the i5. Yeah if I had thought about it (3D never really crossed my mind) I would have ended up with a Nvidia Titan so I could test out 3D on my monitor but not really an issue I love the 290x I got and it has HD3D just can't use it on my ASUS monitor. Besides I would be to uncomfortable wearing 3D glasses over my regular glasses, don't care what they claim comfort wise XD.

ok here is my 2 cents...

I was in the exact spot you are in but with a laptop and I am not rich.

I set a budget of around 850 dollars and really tried to keep there.  ($870.00)

I did a lot of searching on what is quality but not the most expensive parts. ( All mine have a 3 year warrenty)

Now I built mine before the 4th generation came out.

This is what I ended up with:

I5 3470  ( Was cheaper than the 3570 with the same speed but no overclocking but will tubro boost to 4mhz and I don't overclock for the simple reason I don't want to have to buy another cpu)  $190.17

ASrock z77 pro 3 ( I could have used the h series as im not overclocking and this is a oc board. $90.00

Seagate Barracuda 500gb sata 6  ( saved a bit from getting a terabyte but I don't have a ton of music or movies) $79.00

Gigabyte AMD radeon HD 7850 2 gig gddr5  Would love to have a 3 or 4 but had to keep in budget. $184.99

Samsung 24x dvd drive $ 21.29

Tower case...$28.00  Not the best but does what it needs...no frills

650 watt corsair power supply  $48.00

8 gigs  Corsair vengeance ram $80.00

128gig ssd Samsung 840    $120.00

Mounting hardware and artic silver thermal compound  $12.00

Some of the prices are by memory but with taxes and shipping from newegg It came to $870.00

This thing rocks. I play at ultra with about 130 mods. And I use HRK-ENB. ( I use the 2k versions not 4 k) and I stay ay around 45-60 fps depending on where I am. In caves always 55-60   outside  50-60  and fighting  45-55.

I also use hialgo to help with the stutter  ( it helps a lot!)

I am sure prices are different now from 7 months ago but you can build a rockin machine yourself and save a ton.

Just be willing to do a bit of legwork and be sure of what you are buying and you should have a great machine that will last you several years.

First I had to set a realistic budget and tweak accordingly. I would have loved to upgraded some ( like a 4 gig video card and 1 terabyte hdd and asus board) but 850 was all I could muster.

Hope this helps.

ok here is my 2 cents...

I was in the exact spot you are in but with a laptop and I am not rich.

I set a budget of around 850 dollars and really tried to keep there.  ($870.00)

I did a lot of searching on what is quality but not the most expensive parts. ( All mine have a 3 year warrenty)

Now I built mine before the 4th generation came out.

This is what I ended up with:

I5 3470  ( Was cheaper than the 3570 with the same speed but no overclocking but will tubro boost to 4mhz and I don't overclock for the simple reason I don't want to have to buy another cpu)  $190.17

ASrock z77 pro 3 ( I could have used the h series as im not overclocking and this is a oc board. $90.00

Seagate Barracuda 500gb sata 6  ( saved a bit from getting a terabyte but I don't have a ton of music or movies) $79.00

Gigabyte AMD radeon HD 7850 2 gig gddr5  Would love to have a 3 or 4 but had to keep in budget. $184.99

Samsung 24x dvd drive $ 21.29

Tower case...$28.00  Not the best but does what it needs...no frills

650 watt corsair power supply  $48.00

8 gigs  Corsair vengeance ram $80.00

128gig ssd Samsung 840    $120.00

Mounting hardware and artic silver thermal compound  $12.00

Some of the prices are by memory but with taxes and shipping from newegg It came to $870.00

This thing rocks. I play at ultra with about 130 mods. And I use HRK-ENB. ( I use the 2k versions not 4 k) and I stay ay around 45-60 fps depending on where I am. In caves always 55-60   outside  50-60  and fighting  45-55.

I also use hialgo to help with the stutter  ( it helps a lot!)

I am sure prices are different now from 7 months ago but you can build a rockin machine yourself and save a ton.

Just be willing to do a bit of legwork and be sure of what you are buying and you should have a great machine that will last you several years.

First I had to set a realistic budget and tweak accordingly. I would have loved to upgraded some ( like a 4 gig video card and 1 terabyte hdd and asus board) but 850 was all I could muster.

Hope this helps.

This does help me a bit. Thanks. I have to get off this laptop and just use it for what it's good at, which isn't playing Skyrim! :D

I found a combo set at newegg for under $700 with those specs you've listed and am seriously considering biting the bullet.

Thanks! Those are pretty nice but no need for it my second monitor is kinda like my IM window XD. I run skype etc in it and have all my desktop icons on it so my gaming monitor is clutter free lol. I have no idea what I would do with 4 monitors.

That's what everyone says, until they have them! Most people say the same thing before they get two.. ;)

I have all my IM/Skype stuff on one along with desktop widgets, email client, media player, and debugging windows on another, desktop icons and browsers running on the 3rd, and my code editor on the last one. I'd go to six if I had the physicsl desktop space and two more screens. :D

Suggestions  please...

My motherboard and processor burned out, so I decided to rebuild and go for something much better, my budget was around $1,000.00.   I had water-cooling and all kinds of crazy ideas, knowing myself, I knew my budget would go to hell and I would end up spending over 3 gees, and still have all the hazards of building with water-cooling which I have never done before.  I knew something or everything could go wrong.  So I decided to save myself the trouble and buy a prebuilt computer with some new and cool gadgets and upgrade whatever parts I may need to get the ideal specs for my gaming.

I bought an Asus M51AD for  $960.00

The specs are

CPU  4gen ie7-4770 3.4 GHz

GPU  GTX 650 1GB

Mem  16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600 MHz

WD     2TB SATA HDD at 7200 rpm

Power Supply is 500W, but I already have a 650 from my old pc.

I know the GPU I must upgrade, so what you recommend. 

Also,    it came with a Windows 8.1 OS and man, Mother F...  Microsoft and Windows 8.1 ... How do I revert to windows 7?

Ok I asked this on Nexus but nada. So here it is I have a HP Pavilion p6710f http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02628226 I've already upgraded the system with a corsair 600w power unit and a Geforce GTX 550 Ti graphic's card. I recently modded Skyrim with heavy hitting graphic improvement mods (ENB, Lush trees and grass, grass on steroids, etc) Looks amazing but it's an FPS whore. So I'm thinking I want to upgrade the AMD Athlon II X4 640 processor and memory (4gb to 16gb). I don't know much technical mumbo jumbo but I can install stuff by following instructions like a pro XD. So any advice on what to upgrade would be appreciated.

Thanks!

From author of the mod and its helps your fps.

80-100-120 look whats good for you.

Put grass on steroids on 120 it will improve your fps alot.

Under [Grass] put this line: iMinGrassSize=120

Suggestions  please...

My motherboard and processor burned out, so I decided to rebuild and go for something much better, my budget was around $1,000.00.   I had water-cooling and all kinds of crazy ideas, knowing myself, I knew my budget would go to hell and I would end up spending over 3 gees, and still have all the hazards of building with water-cooling which I have never done before.  I knew something or everything could go wrong.  So I decided to save myself the trouble and buy a prebuilt computer with some new and cool gadgets and upgrade whatever parts I may need to get the ideal specs for my gaming.

I bought an Asus M51AD for  $960.00

The specs are

CPU  4gen ie7-4770 3.4 GHz

GPU  GTX 650 1GB

Mem  16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600 MHz

WD     2TB SATA HDD at 7200 rpm

Power Supply is 500W, but I already have a 650 from my old pc.

I know the GPU I must upgrade, so what you recommend. 

Also,    it came with a Windows 8.1 OS and man, Mother F...  Microsoft and Windows 8.1 ... How do I revert to windows 7?

You can get a windows 7 shell google it you get your old windows feel and look back.

Win8.2 will not come anymore it will be windows 9(window8.2 if you prefer calling that:P) around april 2015 and will have desktop and start standard back all the tiles for downloading apps from metro look can be used on desktop also.

MS GO badly now win8 is total failor.

Only 25million pc have win8.1 installed globally lol.

Archived