How melee-centric can Starfield be now?

I think one of the things making it hard for me to like Starfield is how shooty the ground combat is.  First tries were bounty hunter and now combat medic, and the latter has been fun-ish but not to the point where I'd want to commit hard to the game.

So I'm wondering, is punchy worth doing?  Is street sam worth doing?  Who out there has done one and had fun with it?  Any tips or tricks or warnings?

Posted (edited)

Punchy? Yeah, absolutely. It's a little awkward at first until you get some useful skills and powers, but get the right mix and it's a lot of fun. Phased Time and Neurostrikes.

Street Sam? Well there are Japanese swords in the game, but I'd recommend a Va'ruun Painblade when you get the chance. They don't drop at low levels though. I use a blade to clear a site about as often as I do a gun.

Be prepared to burn through some healing meds at first. Chems are very useful too.

Edited by DocClox
3 hours ago, snoopy102 said:

To be honest: I haven't, until now, figured out how to punch or kick. My melee expience is restricted to knives and clubs - and it just feels awkward, bringing a knife to a gunfight.

honestly just needs to be more rewarding, like someone should die in two shots rewarding

Right now? Not much. They're adding melee upgrades so that's nice (should've been there since the start but better late than never) but even more than that we need more animations for the combat itself. As of now you just kinda hack away at the enemy till they're dead which gets kinda old after the 30th kill. Enemies that charge at you with melee are basically the biggest fodders that you take down first, so giving npcs and the players actual combo and parry mechanics would go a long way. Don't think Bethesda's gonna add something like this so mods have to pick up on that.

This is my current melee weapon.

temp.png

That's a just using a blade and the weapon mods that landed with the June update. My best gun does 200 more damage, but also leaves little annihilator hazards around the place. This definitely has a place in my loadout.

On 6/13/2024 at 4:11 AM, DocClox said:

This is my current melee weapon.

temp.png

That's a just using a blade and the weapon mods that landed with the June update. My best gun does 200 more damage, but also leaves little annihilator hazards around the place. This definitely has a place in my loadout.

I don't get how you even able to close the gap with enemies unless your huffing medpacks. Only time I have ever gotten this to work is when I have Andreja and Lin attack from one side of combat.

41 minutes ago, hydropalgel said:

I don't get how you even able to close the gap with enemies unless your huffing medpacks. Only time I have ever gotten this to work is when I have Andreja and Lin attack from one side of combat.

Exactly, the only way to do it is by having an unbalanced game. Which is very easy, to be like Robocop just walking through bullets. But is so boring to play like that.

7 hours ago, hydropalgel said:

6 hours ago, RohZima said:

Exactly, the only way to do it is by having an unbalanced game. Which is very easy, to be like Robocop just walking through bullets. But is so boring to play like that.

Phased time helps a lot, as does some sneak. And I invested some skill points into Wellness which helps, as does Rejuvenation. And bascially, don't charge a group when  they've all got automatic weapons. Use cover to get close, hit and, if need be, run. And if you invest in Martial Arts, you can disarm enemies. Generally you can keep them staggered enough that it's not important, but sometimes it can be really handy.

You have to build for it, but it's perfectly viable.

[edit]

Oh yeah, and sprint to close distance quickly and zig-zag so you're harder to hit. Basically the same  tactics you'd use for an unarmored build on Skyrim.

Edited by DocClox
5 hours ago, DocClox said:

Phased time helps a lot, as does some sneak. And I invested some skill points into Wellness which helps, as does Rejuvenation. And bascially, don't charge a group when  they've all got automatic weapons. Use cover to get close, hit and, if need be, run. And if you invest in Martial Arts, you can disarm enemies. Generally you can keep them staggered enough that it's not important, but sometimes it can be really handy.

You have to build for it, but it's perfectly viable.

[edit]

Oh yeah, and sprint to close distance quickly and zig-zag so you're harder to hit. Basically the same  tactics you'd use for an unarmored build on Skyrim.

Yeah it can be done. I have one character who uses the Wakizashi sometimes. I just get as close as I can while staying behind obstacles, then, as you say, do zig zag run if I'm out in the open a bit.