Will this run skyrim?

Cjvs

A computer at my local wal mart went up for 400$ everything but a monitor which i already have. I was wondering if it would run. here are the specs.

AMD Athlon II X4 Quad-Core 645 processor

3.1GHz, 2MB Cache

4GB of DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 8GB)

Give you the ability to handle most power-hungry applications

1TB SATA hard drive Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Graphics

Just a copy n paste from the stores website sorry. theres more then that but those are the key things i look at so if its not enough ill put ALL of it's specs.

I can't really give you a super accurate response, but I can tell you how it runs on my PC.

Processor: Intel® Core i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 8GB DDR3

HDD: Samsung Solid State 256GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M

I get anywhere between 45-60 FPS on maxed out settings.

Like I said, to get a more accurate example of how it would run, maybe someone with similar PC specs will respond. On the plus side, that PC is a desktop, so you can upgrade the RAM and GPU later on if it doesn't meet your standards.

Again, sorry I can't give you more accurate details.

EDIT: On a side note, Skyrim is optimized for Consoles and that PC beats an Xbox 360 pretty bad. I'm only assuming the 360 runs the game on medium settings, so that PC should be able to run Medium settings no problem.

It will run it. The integrated graphics is the drawback and honestly the part the would act as a limiter for what you listed. It should be able to run a medium / medium-low settings. That said, if your planning on using mods you will really have to watch the mods you install especially retextures and high resolution textures.

Most people are most likely saying it won't run it due to the integrated graphics because the "recommended" cards all have a minium of 1GB vramm. People tend to forget that since skyrim is out of the box limited to using 2GB of system ramm you would still have a minium of 1GB left for the graphics as its shared.

You will not however, get jaw dropping visuals and performance might be lacking a bit such as occasional lag (in cities and crowds). My recommendation is save the money your going to spend on that and add funds to it when you can so you can get something that doesn't barely run todays games, but something you will be able to use going in to the following year or 2.

skyrim requires a 512 meg video card, 1024 recommended, But I have ran it on a 44 athlon dual core 2.2, with 2 nvidia 7800 GTX SLI mode, 256 each, which add up to the required 512. and it actually runs pretty good on that one.

Someone i know runs it on a single 256 k vid card, and it seems to play reasonable.

My main stay right now is quad core, with pretty good everything but I just thought I would let you know what I have seen.

and yes I would always stay away from any system for gaming that had integrated Graphics card...that is a given NO, NO..Slap your self, and wake up, don't buy it.

thanks everyone but to be honest ill be fine cause if it can't run skyrim to well i might just go ahead and play oblivion on it and wait awhile then get a graphics update then try skyrim. cause that should be able to play oblivion good if it could do skyrim on atleast medium settings right?

Ohh yea, you should be fine with Oblivion unless you install a TON of graphic intensive mods. But keep in mind you'll be barely reaching the recommended requirements.

Like Ryan did say earlier though, I encourage you to save up a little more cash just to stretch for something better. I was in a similar position myself and I regret buying this Inspiron 530 cause I wanted another game ASAP. And honestly, I wouldn't buy from a store.

I would order from somewhere like:

www.ibuypower.com

www.cyberpowerpc.com

You may have to wait a little longer to get a PC, but you'll be happy you did in the end, my friend. :D

Hey guys i didn't want to make another thread so can i get some opinions on

what i need to update?

Here's my current rig: (That runs oblivion just fine)

2.70 gigahertz AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-Core

NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

2Gbs RAM

And i think this is my mobo: ASUS M3A78-CM Desktop Board

I would say the only major thing would be increasing your ram to a minimum of 4GB. If you really want to step it up increase the ram then get yourself a mid-level gtx 5 series or an upper level gtx 4 series card. I apologize to the ATi fans out there, I never use their cards so I will always refer to Nvidia cards when I make recommendations.

what i need to update?

NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

2Gbs RAM

Hi Jay, did some quick searching on your mobo and found some info for ya. Like Ryan mention, first upgrade you really need is RAM. That mobo uses DDR2 1066 and you can pick up 2 4GB sticks for about $60. (note: that mobo only support up to 8GB so don't go overboard :P)

Next would be your GPU, I too prefer NVIDIA, but I like the ones by EVGA. You can pick up a GeForce 550 Ti (1GB card) for around $150.

Hope I helped! :D

what i need to update?

NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

2Gbs RAM

Hi Jay' date=' did some quick searching on your mobo and found some info for ya. Like Ryan mention, first upgrade you really need is RAM. That mobo uses DDR2 1066 and you can pick up 2 4GB sticks for about $60. (note: that mobo only support up to 8GB so don't go overboard :P)

Next would be your GPU, I too prefer NVIDIA, but I like the ones by EVGA. You can pick up a GeForce 550 Ti (1GB card) for around $150.

Hope I helped! :D

[/quote']

So if i get the ram and 550 ti

how well would i be able to run skyrim?

and thanks for the input i really appreciate it!:D

Short answer, yes, you can run Skyrim.

Unfortunately, I don't know how well, you'd have to get the opinion of someone with a similar PC.

Here are the official recommend specs straight from Bethesda's website:

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • 4GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD space
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher (i.e GTX 550Ti); ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation

With those upgrades I mentioned you'll meet all of the recommended requirements EXCEPT the processor, but I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, don't buy anything just because someone else says so, do some research before spending any money. :P

EDIT: Sorry, I just re-read Nightwolf's post and it seems like he's running a CPU a tad slower than yours and a GPU about equal to a GTX 550Ti, and he's running on High Quality no problem. So it looks like you should be able to run fairly well!

With the upgrades you will certainly have no issues running Skyrim, sadly I can not just throw out what settings it will default you to when you first start it up. Keep in mind that unless certain targets are triggered the set up will most likely auto stick you to medium or high. When it does its scan to see if you meet the required basics only pc's that far exceed test results get defaulted to ultra. This could be due to a lot of different things. Having the extra ramm, a card with a lot of vram, cards in sli or crossfire config, overclocked systems, etc. These will all help fool the settings test in to thinking you have a better pc there for defaulting you to a higher setting.

None of this is truely needed as you can just select what settings you want, try them and if everything seems to run trouble free.. your good. There are also "tweaks and tricks" for Nvidia cards to gain slightly better performance and renderings.

As slacore said, any information stated in this thread is more of less food for thought. You should always look in to what your planning to get and also look at comparable counterparts and make the decision yourself for no other reason than its your money being spent. :D

hey guys im back with another question, when i get the computer do you think it'd be a good idea to grab a new thing with it if so what do you think i should get? i heard the geforce gtx 510 or something was a good one.

Usually for any upgrades, I'm more inclined to break it down to the following:

Barely new or just recently bought

Screw it, your system is probably up to date already. You don't need upgrading unless you're struggling with integrated graphics. In that case, I'd upgrade to either a GTX560 TI or the Radeon 6870.

2 to 3 years old

In this config, you're looking at some towards the older Core i5/i7 and as well as the AMD Athlon II/Phenom II. Graphics include the GTX4*0 series and the Radeon 5**0 series. 4GB is the norm and you should have Windows 7 installed. In this case, you probably don't need any upgrades.

4 to 5 years old

For the majority of us here, you guys would fit this bill here. In this case, your system would have been cutting edge for Fallout 3 and the like. CPUs would be the Core 2 (Duo or Quad), AMD's Athlon X2 and possibly the old Core i7 on the socket 1366. You'll probably have about 2GB to 4GB depending your system. Windows XP is your system of choice and graphics range from Radeon X1800 series or slower and the nVidia GTX/GTS 2*0 series or slower.

In this case, you might do the following upgrades:

CPU: No need as you still have enough grunt to run Skyrim.

RAM: It doesn't matter but I suggest going for 4GB RAM. Possibly the cheapest but fastest speed you can get.

Graphics: You'll see a big boost on this regard so hit up the GTX560 or the Radeon 6850 maximum. Any more and your CPU will be running behind the graphics.

OS: Upgrade to Windows 7 64bit Home Premium. The jump in doing so will surprise you and it can run DX11 which will be important for later releases.

More than 6 years old

Oh dear. If you're trying to run Skyrim on this type of system, forget about it. It's probably too old and not worth upgrading really. You might as well save up more for this type of rig.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

Graphics: Either nVidia GTX560 Ti or AMD Radeon HD 6870

Windows: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

The above shouldn't really kill your wallet (seriously, try buying in Australian shops which adds a lot to the base price due to our location) and yet fast enough to run both Skyrim and Oblivion should you choose to go back to it.

So there you go. That's probably my tips to upgrade in a nutshell.

hey guys im back with another question' date=' when i get the computer do you think it'd be a good idea to grab a new thing with it if so what do you think i should get? i heard the geforce gtx 510 or something was a good one.

[/quote']

Probably a GPU. Although I've never heard of a GTX 510.

I would still suggest the GTX 550 just because you'll get quite a bit of performance for the money you spend, but I might be a little biased on this one.

I had this card and it served me well for several months. Even after being paired with another GPU (the card is SLI ready if you want to pair it with another), it ran really well, until my system died of causes unrelated to the GPU.

I highly recommend taking a look at this card! :D

don't bother with the 510 to 545 range they're basicly really low budget cards not really meant for gaming (doesn't mean they can't just a waste of money since you can get a way better card for the same price) either go for the 560 if it's cheap enough or if you can find a 480gtx cheap go for that (i did that and bought mine for under the price of a 570 by about 100euro's and the 570 only gives one fps more and runs a bit cooler)

but best bet would be looking for a 560 or the amd equivalent

• 8 months later...

Archived