.. still hope for multiplayer features...

Well.. here i am, wetting my pillow, WITH TEARS that is!..

i'm still hoping to see seome multiplayer features to this game, even if it's just a "multiplayer trading" feature... maybe? like, trading centers where players can see eachothers and trade.

Edited by puss2puss
11 hours ago, puss2puss said:

i'm still hoping to see seome multiplayer features to this game, even if it's just a "multiplayer trading" feature... maybe? like, trading centers where players can see eachothers and trade.

You really do not want what you're asking for here. You think you do, but trust me...you don't.

Why you ask?

Because in order for this to work, on scale, and with other people and keep people from scamming, cheating and otherwise being jackasses...Bethesda then has to establish a baseline, and in doing so...lock the platform. (See: Fallout 76, and every other online game). This would mean: no script extenders, no real modding. Basically you'd get nothing but replacers for the most part. Stuff that scratches the surface, but nothing of substance.

Even if they added a network stack, and say...left it open...there are going to be problems. Chief of which: in order for people to play together, with a low bug threshold...everyone connected will need to have the same mods. Disparity between players is hard to tolerate in this kind of situation. That said, its technically possible. Torchlight II can do multiplayer like this. But TL2 is a vastly different and smaller game than what Starfield will be.

Doing this with a game that has the scope of Starfield is an entirely different kettle of fish altogether.

Couple that with the fact that, Bethesda (and Microsoft) are for profit companies. If they were to add multiplayer, it would need to be done with an eye toward their profit. Their need to profit in this scenario will absolutely not align with what you want in any way. People wanted simple multiplayer for Fallout. Something co-op, with you and a friend, or a couple friends. What we got was 76.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it; and in this case, getting it would severely hamper the modding community.

6 hours ago, WandererZero said:

You really do not want what you're asking for here. You think you do, but trust me...you don't.

Why you ask?

Because in order for this to work, on scale, and with other people and keep people from scamming, cheating and otherwise being jackasses...Bethesda then has to establish a baseline, and in doing so...lock the platform. (See: Fallout 76, and every other online game). This would mean: no script extenders, no real modding. Basically you'd get nothing but replacers for the most part. Stuff that scratches the surface, but nothing of substance.

Even if they added a network stack, and say...left it open...there are going to be problems. Chief of which: in order for people to play together, with a low bug threshold...everyone connected will need to have the same mods. Disparity between players is hard to tolerate in this kind of situation. That said, its technically possible. Torchlight II can do multiplayer like this. But TL2 is a vastly different and smaller game than what Starfield will be.

Doing this with a game that has the scope of Starfield is an entirely different kettle of fish altogether.

Couple that with the fact that, Bethesda (and Microsoft) are for profit companies. If they were to add multiplayer, it would need to be done with an eye toward their profit. Their need to profit in this scenario will absolutely not align with what you want in any way. People wanted simple multiplayer for Fallout. Something co-op, with you and a friend, or a couple friends. What we got was 76.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it; and in this case, getting it would severely hamper the modding community.

i get your point, and i would agree if it was a multiplayer game like an MMO, but it's not, so even if players would cheat or create mods to deuplicate items, it ouldnt make any difference knowing taht people can already make all of this in single-player games, like Skyrim.

Then again, i can see ways about how Beth can restrict what can be traded, to make sure that those "specific items" that can be traded, is not part of waht can be modded. A trading center is not something i absolutaly want, but it's an idea i tought about for a multiplayer feature, not necessarly what i wish for :P

All that being said, even without a trading center, only having a social lobby could be pretty cool, like, a planet or a center where players can interact with others while taking a break of adventure.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want multiplayer of any kind, not 'cause I don't mind multiplayer or other people, but 'cause it makes modding a massive pain in the ass and not in a good way. You have to account for so many extra variables that you don't even have to think about in making a single player mod. 

On 8/24/2023 at 4:08 PM, nezkafe said:

Ehh, nah. I play these games precisely to not interact with anyone. I'm sure Bethesda understands this sentiment.

I am so glad I am not the only one in this camp. This is about me,, and my story.  I am either you savior or destroyer and it is up to me to decide. 

Vor 6 Stunden sagte Kraven12:

Ich bin so froh, dass ich nicht der Einzige in diesem Lager bin. Hier geht es um mich und meine Geschichte. Ich bin entweder du Retter oder Zerstörer und es liegt an mir, zu entscheiden. 

I always say -> People with a God complex

?

No.

You can play Elite: Dangerous if you want that.

Or that other space game by one Chris "Scam Artist" Roberts.

Edited by belegost
  • 2 months later...

Multiplayer has ruined every game in existence. PvP is a curse of the Devil & I VEHEMENTLY do not want it in Fallout 4.

Having said that, I'd LOVE a Co-Op mod that let's me & a ***FEW*** friends play.

Not an army of people! Maybe 2 or 3, plus Dogmeat, since we need him for several missions in the game.

FRIENDLY FIRE IS TURNED OFF AT ALL TIMES.

.......Don't need to be ganked by some griefer whose board outta their skull.

?

As we see with other games where a player can host a local server on his pc and have a few friends log on for a multiplayer session the topic is quiet complex. Both Conan Exiles as well as ARK have that feature, and both have a build-in mod manager which ensures/enforces that all players on the server play with exactly the same mods.

So that should give a rough idea of the scope that would be required for a "multiplayer mod".

On 8/16/2023 at 6:49 PM, puss2puss said:

only having a social lobby could be pretty cool

Honestly, my social needs are satisfied with this place and a couple of the Reddit subs. Last thing I want to do in-game is chat.

More generally, I avoided playing Eve Online, Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen precisely because they were multiplayer. I'm playing Starfield precisely because it is not. I am a crotchety old curmudgeon and I like my gaming single player and offline. If I want to socialize, I'll go to the pub.

Edited by DocClox
Vor 37 Minuten sagte DocClox:

Ehrlich gesagt, meine sozialen Bedürfnisse werden mit diesem Ort und ein paar Reddit-Subs befriedigt. Das Letzte, was ich im Spiel tun möchte, ist Chatten.

Generell habe ich es vermieden, Eve Online, Elite: Dangerous und Star Citizen zu spielen, gerade weil es sich um Multiplayer handelte. Ich spiele Starfield gerade deshalb, weil es das nicht ist. Ich bin ein mürrischer alter Geizhals und spiele gern im Einzelspieler- und Offline-Modus. Wenn ich Kontakte knüpfen möchte, gehe ich in die Kneipe.

You can also play "Elite" completely "solo" - that's what the "PvE" mode is for... so you can get by completely without "clans" or "chatting" in this game.

On 11/22/2023 at 12:59 PM, VonHelton said:

Multiplayer has ruined every game in existence. PvP is a curse of the Devil & I VEHEMENTLY do not want it in Fallout 4.

Having said that, I'd LOVE a Co-Op mod that let's me & a ***FEW*** friends play.

Not an army of people! Maybe 2 or 3, plus Dogmeat, since we need him for several missions in the game.

FRIENDLY FIRE IS TURNED OFF AT ALL TIMES.

.......Don't need to be ganked by some griefer whose board outta their skull.

?

There are exceptions to this rule but they only came about by making multiplayer an afterthought which no content at all is hidden behind (Double Dragon for the NES' Versus mode, the Armored Core series entirely optional no-frills PVP mode, any game with a co-op mode which simply duplicates the lead character rather than create a new character who is only playable in co-op mode). 

Vor 1 Stunde sagte t.ara:

In keiner Weise geplant, und Modding + Multiplayer Bethesda kann nicht damit umgehen ... diese Herausforderung haben sie vor etwa 15 Jahren verstreichen lassen ... Bethesda hat einen Multiplayer-Titel – aber ich kann mir nicht vorstellen, dass es ernsthaft ein Multiplayer-Spiel sein soll. ..

You certainly mean -> TES-Online

and yes - from my point of view a pretty good multiplayer game... I played it for 9 months (was even in the beta test phase) - 2/3 of them in a clan

Why did I get out? -> because they switched from a monthly subscription system to "pay to win" - with an item shop... contrary to all promises made

and of course didn't do any bug fixing... but that's typical for this "shop"