Devious Followers Framework Development

On 4/20/2023 at 7:47 PM, SkyTem said:

I like your mod but I just had one suggestion.  In a future version of Devious Followers could you include spanking sounds with the SL spank animations file that would play when a spanking occurred during the animations? 

Sort of out of scope for what this mod is aiming to accomplish. I'd suggest posting in the requests subforum.

Took a little break to wait for bug reports. I think (hope) the lack of major activity in this thread is a good sign to actually start on the deals. I'm arguing with myself about the original hood idea since its too simple to find shortcomings in the framework that need to be addressed before going public. Does anyone have any requests? I'd prefer to do something more interesting but doable within a reasonable time frame.

35 minutes ago, ponzipyramid said:

Sort of out of scope for what this mod is aiming to accomplish. I'd suggest posting in the requests subforum.

Was wondering why my request is out of scope for your mod.  Sounds to go with the animations are the one thing it's lacking.  The animations would be perfect after that ?.  I did go ahead and post a request for a sound patch for the spank animations though.  Love your work though and take care.

4 minutes ago, SkyTem said:

Was wondering why my request is out of scope for your mod.  Sounds to go with the animations are the one thing it's lacking.  The animations would be perfect after that ?.  I did go ahead and post a request for a sound patch for the spank animations though.  Love your work though and take care.

To be clear, I'm not the original developer of Devious Followers Continued or the creator of those animation packs. DFF is purely focused on systems to let other mod authors make new stuff for DFC.

Excited to see this still going. I brainstormed a bit for possible deals/ events - feel free to use/ change/ take the concept and go in a different direction/ discard as you will:

You're Getting Fat
Concept: follower controls/ interferes with consumption of food

• Before eating, ask permission to eat specific food item. % chance of refusal, in which case the follower will take the food away from you.

We Really Need To Do Something About How Fat You're Getting
Concept: Follower makes player trigger @Gunslicer's workout animations (with Gunslicer's permission of course)

• Once a day initiate workout (or twice or once every other day) - (player starts conversation: I'm ready for my workout).
  • Player has period of time to trigger workout animations (can regular inputs be altered)
  • Follower says "do X number of exercises"
  • Exercise triggers one of Gunslicer's awesome exercise animtaions and costs stamina
  • Ideas for how to trigger: use custom shout power/ cast spell/ replace result of [JUMP] input for duration of exercise (that one's my favourite)
  • If Exercise is triggered while Stamina bar is not full, this is noted (pushing hard)
  • At the end of Exercise the player gets and "Exhausted from workout" debuff to Stamina (and/or other stats),  The duration/ severity of the debuff is determined by how hard the player pushed (say 30 minutes if no "pushing hard" was triggered; up to 6 or 12 hours if it was triggered a bunch of times). IMO it's less important that the debuff is massive, and more important that it's there.
  • This creates a dynamic where the PC has to balance doing enough to succeed with paying the price of pushing hard
  • For added fun the follower can announce how much time is remaining every so often during the actual workout ("you only have two minutes left"/ "two more sets"/ etc), to increase the sense of pressure
  • The follower could also potentially adjust the # of exercises / time up or down based on the level of exhaustion the PC got last time

I Have To Eat Too
Concept: Carry food and drink for the Follower

• PC must offer bottle of alcohol and food item to follower 1, 2, or 3 times a day (configurable I guess) or count as being in breach of the deal.

We All Have To Eat

Concept: PC is responsible for feeding the entire party (obviously only relevant if there's more than one person in the group)

• Same as I Have To Eat, but applies to all followers in the group (but only once a day). 

Try To Be Useful
Concept: Player required to buff follower in combat

• Follower gives PC custom spell tome for spell that buffs damage/ armour/ stamina/ magicka and/ or health (maybe only useful on follower)
  • If combat starts, lasts at least 30 seconds, and ends without PC casting that buff spell on the follower, the PC gets penalized for being lazy and not helping.

Nice House
Concept: follower takes ownership of player owned home

• When triggered (potentially simply by buying the house while having devious follower), follower takes possession of specific player home.
  • When follower remains follower, no real change except some comments reminding the player of the situation "Take good care of my home" etc.
  • When Devious Follower stops being a follower, House Key is removed from player inventory and all beds are marked as (owned). If the NPC becomes follower again, PC gets access to key and beds again

Taking Care of Business
Concept: Follower decides where to go

• Every few days the follower picks a random inn in the the current hold. The player has 24 hours to go to that inn (where the follower makes some statement like "you wait here while I take care of my affairs" (could even require player to wait a couple of hours, wasting time).
  • Every so often (maybe there's a chance after week or so) the Follower will pick an inn from a different Hold

Old Friends
Concept: PC provides sexual favours to Follower's associates

• Combined with Taking Care of Busines. Upon arriving at the inn in question, player has to have sex with the Follower's friend "just to be nice, I know you don't mind".
  • Could be expanded to have other random requirements, instead of offering sexual favours it could be a meal, a drink, skooma, a dance.

House Party
Concept: Similar to the party in Wartimes daughter

• Guests show up in player home, serve them food, drink, and entertainment and don't mess up (event triggered in player home).

Simple Manners
Concept: Show deference when entering inns, palaces, homes

• Before walking through door into an inn, palace, or player home the player must ask the follower for permission (simple dialogue). Could be a simple "after you" rather than asking permission explicitly.
  • Permission is always given, and results in a 30-60 second window to walk through such doors.
  • If the PC walks through a door without permission active there's a penalty ("where are your manners?!")
  • (If possible) - If the PC asks permission and doesn't go through an appropriate door there's a penalty ("why are you wasting my time with nonsense?!")
  • There's an exception for the requirement if the follower is outside some sort of range (or in a different cell altogether) to account for edge cases.

For Your Ears Only

Concept: Annoying Earrings like the amulet/ ring/circlet

• Wear some earrings (ideally possibility of using custom set, like whore armour) that give a debuff of some sort

Enchanting Support

Concept: Require regular supply of soul gems

• What it says, keep the follower in (filled) soul gems for enchanting purposes.
  • Size determines how long before another soul gem needs to be given. Petty gives 1 day, common 2 days, etc. (not sure what the right interval is).

... just throwing some ideas at the wall, to see if anything sticks.

Edited by Anunya

Oh a very basic one (could be used as proof of concept probably):

Simple Maintenance

Concept: Waste Time Doing Basic Drudgery

• PC must ask once daily if there's anything they can do to be helpful (and if they fail, there's a penalty).
  • The answer is always yes (with appropriate snark).
  • The PC is told to do something time consuming (just a flavour line), things like*:
    • Oil and clean our weapons and armour.
    • Unpack all our supplies, inspect them for damage and spoilage, fix what's broken, then repack everything.
    • Wash my feet, give me a foot massage and a full body rub.
    • Wash, dry, and mend out clothes. Don't let me catch you sniffing my underwear you pervert.
    • Trim my fingernails, toenails, and pubic hair.
  • When the PC agrees, fade to black and 1-3 hours pass. The follower makes a follow up comment ("you call this done?" / "ahh... I feel much better. You should consider a career as a masseuse" / whatever).
    • The full body rub one could have a "ah... I could really use a happy ending... how about it? I'll even knock a bit off your debt [token amount 10% of daily fee]" option to trigger a sex scene afterwards.
  • Not super exciting in terms of gameplay, but losing a few hours out of the day when you're paying your devious follower a daily rate (and interest) 

(* If someone wants to do this but don't feel creative writing the lines, I don't mind providing the text.)

3 hours ago, Anunya said:

You're Getting Fat
Concept: follower controls/ interferes with consumption of food

• Before eating, ask permission to eat specific food item. % chance of refusal, in which case the follower will take the food away from you.

We Really Need To Do Something About How Fat You're Getting
Concept: Follower makes player trigger @Gunslicer's workout animations (with Gunslicer's permission of course)

• Once a day initiate workout (or twice or once every other day) - (player starts conversation: I'm ready for my workout).
  • Player has period of time to trigger workout animations (can regular inputs be altered)
  • Follower says "do X number of exercises"
  • Exercise triggers one of Gunslicer's awesome exercise animtaions and costs stamina
  • Ideas for how to trigger: use custom shout power/ cast spell/ replace result of [JUMP] input for duration of exercise (that one's my favourite)
  • If Exercise is triggered while Stamina bar is not full, this is noted (pushing hard)
  • At the end of Exercise the player gets and "Exhausted from workout" debuff to Stamina (and/or other stats),  The duration/ severity of the debuff is determined by how hard the player pushed (say 30 minutes if no "pushing hard" was triggered; up to 6 or 12 hours if it was triggered a bunch of times). IMO it's less important that the debuff is massive, and more important that it's there.
  • This creates a dynamic where the PC has to balance doing enough to succeed with paying the price of pushing hard
  • For added fun the follower can announce how much time is remaining every so often during the actual workout ("you only have two minutes left"/ "two more sets"/ etc), to increase the sense of pressure
  • The follower could also potentially adjust the # of exercises / time up or down based on the level of exhaustion the PC got last time

I always loved DFCs portrayal of followers with bad intentions masked as good intentions.  These are such a good fit for that.

The warrior woman to not-warrior woman fantasy is a big one for me, particularly when it's not the full blown barbie-doll bimbo stereotypical stuff (not that I hate that).

Diet and exercise control are a fun pathway to that.  There are so many different versions of attractive fitness, it would be fun to see a DF sculpt a PC into a version of fitness less ideal for combat.  Weight loss leading to muscle loss or exercise regimes designed to minimize sword practice and maximize booty squats, are all fun ways to do transformation kink.  That's all on top of the classic control aspect that makes this fit with D/S kink.

Implementing food stuff in skyrim is tough though, I think the way you have it set up is probably best.  A very simple food control deal allows for the rest of the story to be roleplayed if needed.

For the exercise stuff there is a ton of content out there.  I know there is a yoga mod, I even saw one that adds figure skating.

2 hours ago, Anunya said:

Simple Maintenance

Concept: Waste Time Doing Basic Drudgery

• PC must ask once daily if there's anything they can do to be helpful (and if they fail, there's a penalty).
  • The answer is always yes (with appropriate snark).
  • The PC is told to do something time consuming (just a flavour line), things like*:
    • Oil and clean our weapons and armour.
    • Unpack all our supplies, inspect them for damage and spoilage, fix what's broken, then repack everything.
    • Wash my feet, give me a foot massage and a full body rub.
    • Wash, dry, and mend out clothes. Don't let me catch you sniffing my underwear you pervert.
    • Trim my fingernails, toenails, and pubic hair.
  • When the PC agrees, fade to black and 1-3 hours pass. The follower makes a follow up comment ("you call this done?" / "ahh... I feel much better. You should consider a career as a masseuse" / whatever).
    • The full body rub one could have a "ah... I could really use a happy ending... how about it? I'll even knock a bit off your debt [token amount 10% of daily fee]" option to trigger a sex scene afterwards.
  • Not super exciting in terms of gameplay, but losing a few hours out of the day when you're paying your devious follower a daily rate (and interest) 

This one is tough.  On paper it reads like it will be good fun, but I think in a practical sense you'd just end up with  a bunch drudgery for the player as much as the PC.  Most domestic tasks run into this same problem.

A big part of what makes DFC work is that it does kinky stuff while the player is still playing Skyrim, not trying to transform the game into something else.  You still maintain the same game play loop of adventuring, looting ect. while adding in kinky stuff.  

4 hours ago, Anunya said:

Taking Care of Business
Concept: Follower decides where to go

• Every few days the follower picks a random inn in the the current hold. The player has 24 hours to go to that inn (where the follower makes some statement like "you wait here while I take care of my affairs" (could even require player to wait a couple of hours, wasting time).
  • Every so often (maybe there's a chance after week or so) the Follower will pick an inn from a different Hold

I like this version much better.  It still has the same air of mundane servitude, with a mighty dragonborn turned meek and domestic, but the player them self gets to keep playing skyrim, traveling from place to place, fighting monsters (and losing to them?) collecting loot (and getting trapped in it) ect.  Players can also engage in some fan favorite tavern mods as well if that's what they are interested in.

I even like the idea of waiting in an inn, provided that it is as simple as the default skyrim rest/wait system. 

Traveling to inns is nice too because it allows players to engage in the normal (and modded) social interactions of normal skyrim gameplay.

That being said I don't know how necessary restricting this to inns is, or even structuring this as a deal, if  the goal is to implement a "jobs system" where the follower picks quests.  This would feel an awful lot like one of those jobs.

On 5/3/2023 at 2:02 AM, ponzipyramid said:

Took a little break to wait for bug reports. I think (hope) the lack of major activity in this thread is a good sign to actually start on the deals. I'm arguing with myself about the original hood idea since its too simple to find shortcomings in the framework that need to be addressed before going public. Does anyone have any requests? I'd prefer to do something more interesting but doable within a reasonable time frame.

Sorry, I ended up taking a pretty long break from skyrim modding altogether. Upon returning I've been trying again to get the mod to work, but so far without luck. Even after updating I've been unable to get the plugin to load, even on new games with minimal other mods installed. I keep looking for other solutions to that particular error code, but so far I've got nothing that works...

8 hours ago, Aldid said:

Sorry, I ended up taking a pretty long break from skyrim modding altogether. Upon returning I've been trying again to get the mod to work, but so far without luck. Even after updating I've been unable to get the plugin to load, even on new games with minimal other mods installed. I keep looking for other solutions to that particular error code, but so far I've got nothing that works...

Which redistributables ones did you install? ARM, x86, x64?

I'll have access to another computer in a bit, so I'll see if I can replicate it there.

Edited by ponzipyramid
22 hours ago, ponzipyramid said:

Which redistributables ones did you install? ARM, x86, x64?

I'll have access to another computer in a bit, so I'll see if I can replicate it there.

I tried x86 at first, then x64 now that you mentioned it, sadly with the same result...

7 hours ago, Aldid said:

I tried x86 at first, then x64 now that you mentioned it, sadly with the same result...

Last question before I go see if the smart people in the SKSE discord have any ideas: did you restart your computer after installing the x86 and x64 redists?

26 minutes ago, ponzipyramid said:

Last question before I go see if the smart people in the SKSE discord have any ideas: did you restart your computer after installing the x86 and x64 redists?

Both times, yes! I also double checked that the install went as expected by relaunching the exe afterwards

On 5/7/2023 at 8:19 PM, Darkwing241 said:

This one is tough.  On paper it reads like it will be good fun, but I think in a practical sense you'd just end up with  a bunch drudgery for the player as much as the PC.  Most domestic tasks run into this same problem.

A big part of what makes DFC work is that it does kinky stuff while the player is still playing Skyrim, not trying to transform the game into something else.  You still maintain the same game play loop of adventuring, looting ect. while adding in kinky stuff.  

Glad you like some of the suggestions :)

On this one, let me start by saying that I agree with the fundamental idea of DFC that you can keep adventuring, and that boring drudgery is boring. Additionally, it's totally cool for different people to like different things (and MCM options are great for opting in/out too). With that out of the way, let me tell you why I think this is still good...

... because it's not drudgery for the player (who just has a quick fade to black "time passes as you do the chore). It's drudgery for the PC in a way that fits the fiction ("you're now serving your follower in a sort of degrading way"). More significantly it fits (IMO) mechanically. You're still free to do whatever your want, but you now have slightly less hours a day to earn gold before another payment is due. Do you skip out on washing yourself? Do you get less sleep? Do you prioritize paying this deal off vs another deal? Do you work that much harder somehow? This is especially true if you use mods that impose a time cost on actions (Living Takes Time & Hunterborn are what I use), because with fewer hours a day it becomes even more significant when you time your crafting, spell learning, and so on.

I'd even go so far as to say that the best DFC deals hit the following criteria: they fit the fiction, they don't prevent actual adventuring, they presents the players with some sort of interesting choices on how and when to react to the deal, and they interact with mechanics that influence the impact of DFC. I'd argue that this chore deal hits all of those (though it misses out on having nice in-game animations that fit the fiction, which is also very important).

So that's why I think it's a good deal and one I'd include in my game if it was available. Totally cool if you don't like it. Presumably if someone made it you could just not put it in your load order/ disable it in an MCM somewhere :)

@Anunya I really like a lot of these ideas, especially the fact that they're not explicitly sexual and you've clearly thought about how to actually implement them. They should do a great job filling out the earlier stages of the follower relationship.

Although, some of them might work better as jobs or events e.g. house party. Right now, the framework only supports the injection of classic deals, so implementation would have to wait till I get around to that. I'm leaning towards the maid deal proposal from the roadmap since each stage is quite varied and it incorporates some of your ideas.

1. Wear a maid outfit in towns. Stay clean. Use BiS Tweak's mod events to check.
  2. Must ask follower for a food and drink request twice a day and give it to them. Have to "clean" their items (fade to black + time jump) weekly. Basically ripping off Wartimes here.
  3. Gag gets added to the required outfit in towns. Follower gives you (quite heavy) stuff and will ask for it back in the future. 
  4. Must offer sexual services at least once a day.

It's decently complex and creates a lot of potential conflicts with existing deals which is good for checking if the framework can arbitrate correctly.

Ideas 1 and 2 from your list could become stages 1 and 2 in a single classic "fitness" deal with maybe stage 3 being the "liquid diet" thing from Wartimes (use the containers from SLS if installed).

How does that sound?

Edited by ponzipyramid

@ponzipyramid - that sounds great to me. A few thoughts and suggestions:

• I think it'd be great to have a way to let the player designate the maid outfit. Some folks will want something super skimpy and sexualized, some will want a classic Japanese cosplay French maid outfit (and there are so many out there people will have their favourites), and others will prefer something that seems "realistic" to them (that's me). One way to do it would be to simply use the Whore Armour implementation and let players replace the armour with a maid outfit that works for them.
    • This also means there'd need to be some conflict resolution between the maid outfit and the whore armour - either they're the same outfit or if you have both deals there's some logic that enforces maid outfits in the towns and whore armour elsewhere.
  • I'd suggest keeping dependencies at a minimum - so if using BiS Tweak to stay clean make that apply only if BiS is installed (rather than requiring BiS to use the deal at all). I really like the idea of requiring cleanliness. Right now I'm testing Dirt & Blood, but this could make me switch back to BiS.
  • Not sure what a gag has to do with being a maid, but I'm very much in favour of gags so no issue for me... though if people are using needs mods having a gag on all the time in towns (esp. in gated towns with SLS) could be very punishing as you'd have to leave town to eat and drink.
    • That makes me think that wearing a gag is a good third stage for the "you're getting fat" classic deal. Basically "Portion Control" - wear a gag at all times. You may take it off two times a day for up to 30 minutes (in-game time) or 3 minutes (real time). Any more and you get punished. The idea is that it will help you from not "eating too much".
  • Another version of the third stage fitness liquid diet (Protein Diet?) could be to have to offer oral sex before asking for a meal, and have to then insist of eating and drinking real stuff afterwards (personally I haven't had consistent results with spit/swallow and needs mod results when I've had SLS installed, but I'd love for it to work). It could be the devious follower that has to be serviced, or the PC could be forced to ask strangers "I'm really hungry, can I please suck your cock/ eat your pussy" or some such (with attendant will power hits for that).

... but really, whatever sounds good to you and is manageable to implement sounds good to me :) 

51 minutes ago, Anunya said:

I think it'd be great to have a way to let the player designate the maid outfit. Some folks will want something super skimpy and sexualized, some will want a classic Japanese cosplay French maid outfit (and there are so many out there people will have their favourites), and others will prefer something that seems "realistic" to them (that's me). One way to do it would be to simply use the Whore Armour implementation and let players replace the armour with a maid outfit that works for them.

Plan is to define the actual outfit in an external JSON file i.e. DFFMaidOutfit.json with just a form list of all required pieces. For enforcement, it's just going to check slot 32 since doing all of them quickly becomes a nightmare with DDs and so on. I see this as being a lot better for the less technically inclined. Once these JSON files get made for different outfit mods they can be disseminated easily.

53 minutes ago, Anunya said:

This also means there'd need to be some conflict resolution between the maid outfit and the whore armour - either they're the same outfit or if you have both deals there's some logic that enforces maid outfits in the towns and whore armour elsewhere.

I want to implement location conditionals (town, wilderness, dungeon, etc.) for conflict resolution down the line. Right now, its just a blanket verification that there isn't a currently active mod with a rule that occupies a slot that a new deal wants to occupy. It should take care of this automatically.

55 minutes ago, Anunya said:

I'd suggest keeping dependencies at a minimum - so if using BiS Tweak to stay clean make that apply only if BiS is installed (rather than requiring BiS to use the deal at all). I really like the idea of requiring cleanliness. Right now I'm testing Dirt & Blood, but this could make me switch back to BiS.

The mod events keep me from having to create a hard dependency. Gives me a little wiggle room to maybe build additional compatibility bridges for D&B and Keep it Clean down the line.

56 minutes ago, Anunya said:

Not sure what a gag has to do with being a maid, but I'm very much in favour of gags so no issue for me... though if people are using needs mods having a gag on all the time in towns (esp. in gated towns with SLS) could be very punishing as you'd have to leave town to eat and drink.

Absolutely nothing :). The original blog post mentions the addition of bondage items so I thought I'd throw it in there. Good note about the needs considerations, I do use iNeed myself. Original roadmap was going to add dialogue topics to ask your follower to feed and water you when gagged. I'm finally going to have to make some ESP edits.

58 minutes ago, Anunya said:

That makes me think that wearing a gag is a good third stage for the "you're getting fat" classic deal. Basically "Portion Control" - wear a gag at all times. You may take it off two times a day for up to 30 minutes (in-game time) or 3 minutes (real time). Any more and you get punished. The idea is that it will help you from not "eating too much".

Good idea.

59 minutes ago, Anunya said:

Another version of the third stage fitness liquid diet (Protein Diet?) could be to have to offer oral sex before asking for a meal, and have to then insist of eating and drinking real stuff afterwards (personally I haven't had consistent results with spit/swallow and needs mod results when I've had SLS installed, but I'd love for it to work). It could be the devious follower that has to be serviced, or the PC could be forced to ask strangers "I'm really hungry, can I please suck your cock/ eat your pussy" or some such (with attendant will power hits for that).

Would work really well as one of the more punishing alt stages like some of the other deals.

Guess its time to finally go to work on this. This will take a while, partially because I recently discovered some issues myself when testing, but at least we're at the home stretch before beta.

Sadly I'm currently running into a strange CTD when in the wilds. Looking through the papyrus log and skse log didn't reveal any errors I'm not used to seeing, and the netscript crash log just seems to blame a nearby wolf. I've gone through the same start on new games with and without DF Framework, so I'm fairly certain it's the cause of the issue.

Any ideas? My initial testing seemed to indicate deals working as they should, but it will be difficult to confirm with this going on...

Edit: Actually the crash seems to be triggered when entering combat or attacking, nothing to do with the wilds (the Alternate start position I used just happens to spawn near a wolf that ends up chasing an Elk)

Edit2: The cause seems to be specifically the moment any character lands a blow of any sort on any other character. When that happens, the game will immediately stop responding

Edited by Aldid
1 hour ago, Aldid said:

Sadly I'm currently running into a strange CTD when in the wilds. Looking through the papyrus log and skse log didn't reveal any errors I'm not used to seeing, and the netscript crash log just seems to blame a nearby wolf. I've gone through the same start on new games with and without DF Framework, so I'm fairly certain it's the cause of the issue.

Any ideas? My initial testing seemed to indicate deals working as they should, but it will be difficult to confirm with this going on...

Edit: Actually the crash seems to be triggered when entering combat or attacking, nothing to do with the wilds (the Alternate start position I used just happens to spawn near a wolf that ends up chasing an Elk)

Edit2: The cause seems to be specifically the moment any character lands a blow of any sort on any other character. When that happens, the game will immediately stop responding

Just saw the edits, definitely a result of some old code I didn't clean up. Not sure if you're interested but I built the plugin off an example that included function hooking - a way to listen in on certain native functions firing and then do something. In this case, there was a hook for the OnHit function so you could count the number of hits a certain actor landed. Obviously unnecessary for this mod.

Edited by ponzipyramid