Devious Followers Framework Development

So I don't know if this is the best place to post a question about it, but I am starting to get into building my own mods, and what I want to build is a custom follower built for devious followers/submissive lola. My thought is I build a follower that kind of leads you through the story. I want to hook into the main quests to have him bring you places, where bad things can happen.

I have the follower built, I have an intro quest set up, but I am having difficulties sending events to devious followers. I think its probably a configuration issue or something but i cant get anything with SendModEvent to compile, and i don't know why.  Can you point me to any guidance on this stuff?

I am trying to build a gold share scheme with him where every 10 seconds it checks your gold, and if its gone up, it takes half the difference and adds it to your debt, (basically 50/50 gold share). I also want to build a thing where if you hit him he fines you. Bunch of extra punishing things basically. but I just cant get it to compile. Any help would be appreciated! I just wanna build something cool.

edit: found this issue - for other dummies like me, in my case my creation kit caches to a ck cache mod, i had a bunch of the script sources in there overwriting. If you are in a similar situation with MO2, look at the data tab and look up the script you are trying to use.

Edited by thor3222

also i would like to add voice files to it, but i ran into an odd issue when trying - its an issue sporadically, and i don't know why or how to fix it - a good example is the _DFlow quest - if you go in there, go into player dialog, click into one of the dialog options, and click on the reference, there are no voice types available for it. Others, like _DflowDealH have many voice types available, and voice files can be added.

Basically, how do i add normal voice types to this so i can get it voiced for my character?

edit: for my purposes, I found an acceptable solution, but from a programming perspective I feel like I did the wrong thing - I just set the speaker for the dialogs all to my follower character. It will allow me to fully voice my character, but I dont know if it will prevent anyone else from saying those lines, or if it will make everyone sound like an orc for those lines, or (ideally) if it will just keep it silent for everyone else. But in terms of my follower mod, the intent is he is your only devious follower the entire game, so i suppose it doesn't matter too much. Still curious though. If i find a more elegant solution ill report back.

Edited by thor3222
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2024 at 1:55 AM, thor3222 said:

I am trying to build a gold share scheme with him where every 10 seconds it checks your gold, and if its gone up, it takes half the difference and adds it to your debt, (basically 50/50 gold share). I also want to build a thing where if you hit him he fines you. Bunch of extra punishing things basically. but I just cant get it to compile. Any help would be appreciated! I just wanna build something cool.

I'd suggest use Event OnChangeLocation for the gold share thing (_Dtickplayeralias uses this to trigger gold recalc) my reasoning behind this is your not having a script in a loop waiting for every 10 secs which if it crashes or lags out can fall apart. When you change location script runs and is done until you change location again.

(I'm sure running a loop can be fine but I dunno with Skyrim I always tried to avoid adding script loops to the game and rather use game events to trigger things because well... things just worked really well when I made the mod and I think someone told me to avoid loops and firing cloak effects when making stuff.)

As for being fined on hitting a follower OnHit will do but you'll need a timer to stop magic spamming the crap out of it lol.

1 hour ago, Lozeak said:

I'd suggest use Event OnChangeLocation for the gold share thing (_Dtickplayeralias uses this to trigger gold recalc) my reasoning behind this is your not having a script in a loop waiting for every 10 secs which if it crashes or lags out can fall apart. When you change location script runs and is done until you change location again.

(I'm sure running a loop can be fine but I dunno with Skyrim I always tried to avoid adding script loops to the game and rather use game events to trigger things because well... things just worked really well when I made the mod and I think someone told me to avoid loops and firing cloak effects when making stuff.)

As for being fined on hitting a follower OnHit will do but you'll need a timer to stop magic spamming the crap out of it lol.

Thats a great suggestion with OnChangeLocation. It probably makes more sense anyway to do that, as I could also fire off him saying something like "Don't forget my share of the haul friend/girl/bitch/slave" which makes a lot of sense in context. (though i would probably do like <200g silent or something)

I am also considering ditching that feature and just recommending NFF since it has something functionally very similar, even though it doesnt integrate with devious followers (though seeing if i can specifically extend that is also a consideration) - at first I wanted to avoid follower frameworks but I have some ideas of how to integrate vanilla followers like lydia and aela so its probably going to end up being a sort of soft dependency anyway. 

And good note on OnHit - I would have caught that but not until i tested lol - I have to do that sort of timer checking for delays all the time in web dev for like mobile resizing and dynamic javascript elements.