Devious Followers Framework Development

You can find the main page with the latest versions here. This thread is now dedicated to deal suggestions. If you're interested in making content using Devious Followers Framework please do let me know.

Motivation

Lupine00's (originally Lozeak's) Devious Followers is a near-permanent part of my mod list. However after several playthroughs with it, I've seen all the deals it features multiple times. This is partially addressed by modular deals but the individual rules can get stale after a while. Inspired by the 2021 roadmap and a Monoman1 blog post, I thought about adding new deals to DFC myself through a traditional patch.

However, I stumbled onto Scrab's Yamete Kudasai which uses a modular design to dynamically select outcomes created by mod authors. I think a similar approach could be applied to DFC in order to provide mod authors with a streamlined API to create DFC add-ons and to provide users with a single patched dependency to manage those add-ons. These add-ons could include deals as well as games and random events.

I reached out to Lupine for permission/their thoughts and am waiting to hear back. In the meantime, I'd like to gather feedback from both potential users and mod authors on whether you think something like this would actually be useful and how you'd like it to work. Below are some preliminary ideas and implementation notes subject to change based on feedback.

Design

This is mostly adapted from the way DFC and how I assume Yamete Kudasai's plugin operates. Each deal is its own quest that will be started, stage progressed, and reset by DFF. Mod authors need to script these quests to periodically check the player for infractions and then alter willpower/debt using DFC's built-in globals and events. Dialogue topics for the new deals must also be added to the buyout and deal offer dialogue topics created by DFC.

Finally, a YAML file will need to be provided that will be used by DFF to register the deal and prevent conflicts. Conflicts are the biggest issue this framework faces. For example, one deal may require the player to equip outfit A and another deal may require the player to equip outfit B. If both deals are started, the player will be unfairly punished with no way to comply. To solve this, we can use the deal config files to check for potential conflicts.

Here's a sample for the bondage (looking pretty) deal:

espName: DeviousFollowers.esp
formId: 0x01C866
builtIn: true
stages: 
  - index: 1 
    rules: 
      - type: wear
        slots: 
  - index: 2
    rules: 
        slots:
  - index: 3
    rules: 
        slots: 

and for the slut deal:

esp_name: DeviousFollowers.esp
form_id: 0x01C867
stages: 
    rules:
      - type: wear nothing
        slots: 
    rules: 
        slots: 

When deals are selected, these rules can be cross-referenced to determine whether a certain deal should be excluded. This rule structure will likely need to be tweaked based on what mod authors aim to do. I also think an explicit "excludeDeal" field can be useful as a last resort to prevent conflicts.

Once deals are registered, they will be shown in a separate DFF MCM that will allow the player to toggle individual deals. Individual deal settings will be handled by add-on authors likely in their own MCM.

A similar approach could be taken with games. This could allow DFC to be a jumping point for a variety of other LL mods, similar to SS++. For example, if you ask to play a game (like dice) for keys or to reduce debt your follower could respond, "I know a vampire who needs help recovering an artifact" and then start Treasure Hunter Whore.

Implementation

Performing runtime conflict resolution seems to be far too slow/borderline impossible in Papyrus in my testing. There's no easy way to parse YAML and PapyrusUtil facilities for working with JSON are cumbersome. As such, a SKSE plugin that can perform this computation natively and parse YAML using a library is required. I've started building this out using CommonLibSSE-NG in order to make it SE, AE, and VR compatible. However, an LE version would need to be developed independently and would have to come after the SE version is stable.

Roadmap

To start, only classic deals will be supported.

• SKSE plugin
    • Deal registration
    • Deal selection/Conflict resolution
    • Deal activation and progression
    • Built-in DFC Deal YAML files
      • Bondage
      • Slut
      • Piercings
      • Ownership
      • Whore
      • Modular
    • Get all deals function (for MCM)
    • Get all active deals function (for MCM)
    • Check deal active function (for dialogue topic conditional)
  • DFC Patch
    • Use DFF for deal selection (if installed)
    • Use DFF for deal activation (if installed)
  • MCM
    • Display registered deals for toggling
    • Show active deals
    • Debug: Re-register deals
    • Debug: Force end deals
  • Create sample add-on to test framework
    • YAML config
    • Quest and enforcement
    • Tutorial
  • Test on different versions
    • SE (1.5.97)
    • AE (latest)

Devious Followers Framework 0.0.1.rar Devious Followers Framework v0.0.2.rar

Edited by ponzipyramid
  • ponzipyramid changed the title to Devious Followers Framework Development
  • 2 weeks later...

Just sticking my nose in to say this is a great idea, with the caveat that plugins for mods have historically appeared to have really low uptake in the community. I can think of a couple of Sub-Lola addons that gradually fell out of us, as they had to be updated with the mod itself. And, I think there may be one or two radiant prostitution scenarios. But again, the challenge is there.

On the other hand, Toys has had much better traction - maybe because it's more frameworky. And that's what you're aiming for. Either way, good luck.

This is a really fun idea, good luck to you, devious followers always on my modlist so anything to add on top of that would be amazing. As for the above it honestly would help for a lot of these to have them listed in convenient places, I'm gonna be honest I didn't even know someone made radiant prostitution scenarios. What this could possibly bring is maybe more interaction between mods, those are always fun.

On 1/31/2023 at 12:17 PM, bathoz said:

Just sticking my nose in to say this is a great idea, with the caveat that plugins for mods have historically appeared to have really low uptake in the community. I can think of a couple of Sub-Lola addons that gradually fell out of us, as they had to be updated with the mod itself. And, I think there may be one or two radiant prostitution scenarios. But again, the challenge is there.

On the other hand, Toys has had much better traction - maybe because it's more frameworky. And that's what you're aiming for. Either way, good luck.

Yeah, this is my primary hesitation. I love the idea behind Yamete Kudasai but the community doesn't seem too keen on making add-ons for it, though I'm guessing that's due to its youth. My hope is that by maintaining a consistent interface for modders through DFF, creating addons becomes much easier. While DFF may need to be updated with subsequent versions of DFC, the add-ons it registers do not and can be developed independently. DFF should abstract away all of the underlying technical details.

10 hours ago, ponzipyramid said:

Yeah, this is my primary hesitation. I love the idea behind Yamete Kudasai but the community doesn't seem too keen on making add-ons for it, though I'm guessing that's due to its youth. My hope is that by maintaining a consistent interface for modders through DFF, creating addons becomes much easier. While DFF may need to be updated with subsequent versions of DFC, the add-ons it registers do not and can be developed independently. DFF should abstract away all of the underlying technical details.

Yamete Kudasai until recently was also SE only mod right? Not long ago someone made A version for LE, LE is majority of playerbase at least on nexus (its not like double the size, but it is significantly bigger), and this mod takes place of other mods like defeat or naked defeat dilluting potential interest in addons even more. Meanwhile your idea would be adding on top of the mod that many people use either way.

Edited by Karkhel

Started working on this in earnest.

Even if it doesn't get a lot of usage, seems like an "interesting" way to get some more experience with C++. As with every time I've had to look at another mod's code, I appreciate DFC even more - lots of stuff going on under the hood.

My plan right now is to basically override DFC's logic for choosing and buying out of deals. I can test it with just the vanilla deals to see what the potential conflicts are and how to resolve them. Then if that works I can put together a one deal add-on. To keep things simple I'm thinking a three-stage deal with hoods, open face, then open eyes, then completely closed.

I'll post previews as soon I actually have something semi-functional.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the deal selection system to work with the vanilla deals. The issue I'm currently working on is buyout and updating the cost to do so. From what I understand its all time-based. I'm thinking I run the timers on Papyrus and then invoke native functions to actually update the cost.

I was hoping to not touch too many DFC scripts but it looks like I need to edit a significant number of dialogue topic fragments to get buyout to work. Trying to avoid any esp edits and successful so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, I'm glad I stumbled upon this! I've been tinkering with adding some deals of my own just for fun, but due to it being my first attempt at making a mod of any sort it's all a bit of a mess (many script changes and additions that would need to be redone should DFC update).

I look forward to seeing this project continue!

Modular deals are now functional, though I've hit a major roadblock: deal variations. Four of the classic deals feature alternate, toggle-able stage 3s which lead to somewhat different conflicts to handle. I'm actually not sure if this was ever implemented in the original mod since I don't think I've ever seen them/there's a comment in the scripts saying its a to-do. @Anunya do you know whether or not this is the case?

I do have some ideas to implement this but if this is not in the original I might just finish up the rest of the work to publish a preview build.

5 hours ago, ponzipyramid said:

Modular deals are now functional, though I've hit a major roadblock: deal variations. Four of the classic deals feature alternate, toggle-able stage 3s which lead to somewhat different conflicts to handle. I'm actually not sure if this was ever implemented in the original mod since I don't think I've ever seen them/there's a comment in the scripts saying its a to-do. @Anunya do you know whether or not this is the case?

I do have some ideas to implement this but if this is not in the original I might just finish up the rest of the work to publish a preview build.

These are functional for the Slut, Bondage, and Chastity deals! They're counted as stage four in the quests, so most checks for third level deals look for stage >= 3, and there's some code to normalize deal stage == 4 to 3 for calculations

13 hours ago, Aldid said:

These are functional for the Slut, Bondage, and Chastity deals! They're counted as stage four in the quests, so most checks for third level deals look for stage >= 3, and there's some code to normalize deal stage == 4 to 3 for calculations

Thanks for explaining. Do the deals you're working on have stage variations?

18 minutes ago, ponzipyramid said:

Thanks for explaining. Do the deals you're working on have stage variations?

So far I've just experimented with adding new modular deals, so no... I haven't dared delve into the monumental task of adding more classic deals, I was mainly planning on altering the existing conflict checks to simulate deal progression instead, I.E adding certain modular deals that have some combination of prerequisite deals before they can be offered.

4 hours ago, Aldid said:

So far I've just experimented with adding new modular deals, so no... I haven't dared delve into the monumental task of adding more classic deals, I was mainly planning on altering the existing conflict checks to simulate deal progression instead, I.E adding certain modular deals that have some combination of prerequisite deals before they can be offered.

Gotcha, that's perfect since I've been wanting to pick someone's brain on how to implement add-on modular rules. I think keeping DFC's general structure of five max modular deals with 3 rules apiece makes sense. To actually enforce these rules, the add-on author has a central modular rules enforcer quest. DFF tells this quest (through events) that a certain rule has been added to a deal and then this handler quest would be in charge of enforcing it. When the player buys out, there's another event sent saying that the rule is terminated and the handler stops enforcing it. Does that sound straightforward enough?

The prerequisite thing is interesting. So you can only get a certain rule if another rule or deal is active?

Classic deals are a lot simpler, its just a quest and I progress the stages when needed. For classic deal variations, I'm thinking that authors define a list of alt stages for each main stage that the deal selector randomly switches to. So for the classic slut deal:

espName: DeviousFollowers.esp
formId: 0x01C867
builtInId: 10
stages: 
    rules:
        negate: true
        slots:
    rules: 
          slots: 
    alt: 
        - index: 4
          rules: 
               slots:
             - type: bathe
               negate: true

9 minutes ago, ponzipyramid said:

Gotcha, that's perfect since I've been wanting to pick someone's brain on how to implement add-on modular rules. I think keeping DFC's general structure of five max modular deals with 3 rules apiece makes sense. To actually enforce these rules, the add-on author has a central modular rules enforcer quest. DFF tells this quest (through events) that a certain rule has been added to a deal and then this handler quest would be in charge of enforcing it. When the player buys out, there's another event sent saying that the rule is terminated and the handler stops enforcing it. Does that sound straightforward enough?

I feel like that makes sense! Although as mentioned my general mod development experience is nonexistent...

9 minutes ago, ponzipyramid said:

The prerequisite thing is interesting. So you can only get a certain rule if another rule or deal is active?

It felt like the easiest way to address what I consider to be an issue with the design of the mod, namely that not all deals are equally impactful but equally likely to be offered. For example, the very first deal you receive can be something as minor as piercings, or as major as town nudity. The idea was to add additional checks to the more advanced deals, for example requiring at least X other deals or Y deals with similar attributes (for example, the town nudity deal could require some other clothing related deal to be active first, as a sort of stepping stone)

The modular deals, while great for how much they can expand the scope of the experience, simply lack some of the consistent progression offered by the classic deals. I seem to recall this being something Lupine intended to address with follower-specific deal preferences? But it's hard to know how far that idea went, since they haven't been seen in a while.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:24 PM, Aldid said:

I feel like that makes sense! Although as mentioned my general mod development experience is nonexistent...

It felt like the easiest way to address what I consider to be an issue with the design of the mod, namely that not all deals are equally impactful but equally likely to be offered. For example, the very first deal you receive can be something as minor as piercings, or as major as town nudity. The idea was to add additional checks to the more advanced deals, for example requiring at least X other deals or Y deals with similar attributes (for example, the town nudity deal could require some other clothing related deal to be active first, as a sort of stepping stone)

The modular deals, while great for how much they can expand the scope of the experience, simply lack some of the consistent progression offered by the classic deals. I seem to recall this being something Lupine intended to address with follower-specific deal preferences? But it's hard to know how far that idea went, since they haven't been seen in a while.

I think I saw this criticism a couple times. I believe the modular rules have a level system (1, 2, 3) to partially solve this issue but as you said no clothes in town can be offered as level 1 or 2. I'm not sure if this is something that should be set by players or developers since everyone is likely to have a different opinion. I think I'll let devs set default "severity" for a given deal and then let the player override this behavior in the MCM.

Judging by the MCM, the mod at least assigns devious followers a personality type and a set of preferences but looking at the deal selection logic I don't think it has any effect yet. I thought this was a really cool idea so after I reach parity with the base mod this will be early in the roadmap.

• 2 weeks later...

Deal variations are now functional! I'm working on making sure the controls in the MCM (setting max stages on each deal, etc.) works and then we'll be pretty close to a pre-pre-pre-alpha preview.

I think its important to note that this preview will not actually add/remove/fix anything. In fact, if you can't tell that you've installed it, it's behaving exactly the way its supposed to. It's primarily intended for people who don't mind helping out with this mod's development and reporting bugs. Thanks in advance.

On 4/6/2023 at 9:46 PM, Darkwing241 said:

Glad to hear someone is potentially adopting DFC.  It's one of my all time favorites!

I can't say I'm actually adopting-adopting DFC since I don't have formal permission from Lupine (as noted they've been gone for a while). I've avoided ESP edits thus far, so this mod will effectively function like a patch (just a bunch of overwritten scripts + an SKSE plugin). There are no explicit permissions on the DFC page so I assume this is okay. DFC SE 2.14.4 will always be a dependency but this mod will just pick up where it leaves off and adopt a more frameworky approach i.e. new content is added through add-ons instead of updates to the base mod.

Taking a break from coding to have some fun postulating about potential features and hopefully stimulate some discussion.

It dawned on me last night that all of SLTRs rules can be encoded as DFF deals/rules. The current compatibility bridge between SLTR and DFF already allows both to work in unison as a replacement for DFC's (somewhat underbaked) built in slavery system. But since DFC is still active at the same time SLTR is that allows DFF to also "add" content to SLTR i.e. it can check for conflicts between DFF addons and SLTR rules in order to keep starting up new events and deals. The issue with current SLTR addons is that SL wasn't really designed for it and as mentioned earlier in this thread, SLTR doesn't try to maintain compatibility with earlier versions (so for example Kalmah's extension has some issues now). DFF solves this problem through its conflict resolution system and by being designed from the ground up to accommodate externally created content.

That could apply to other mods too. My primary issue with Sanguine Debauchery is a general lack of things to do, which this would solve.

Taken together, DFF could act as a general player slavery framework for injecting content into a variety of existing mods (DFC, SLTR, SD, not Maria Eden though because that's a nightmare) through compatibility bridges. Mod authors don't have to worry about how to play nice with each of these mods, the framework takes care of it for them. Users don't have to compromise and give up the content of the mod they can't install, the framework injects content into whatever they're using. So for example if coffee and @Anunya's SLTR add-on is converted to a DFF add-on (no pressure :)) it could be used in SLTR, in DFC, and even in SD+. I'm not sure about the other direction though as in triggering SL content through DFC. I don't think SL is structured in such a way that its rules and events can be initiated without the main system being active.

In terms of content mod authors can add, my current plans are the following:

• Deals: Agreements made with the player to do or not do something. Some form of punishment is chosen for failing to comply. You already know the deal with deals.
  • Events: DFC calls these games but I want to generalize the term. Basically, one-off or repeatable events that are triggered on certain conditions. In DFC, this is collar/jarl, boots/dungeon, gag/inn. And SLTR has a countless number of these.
  • Jobs: Sort of new, these are new quests added by other mod authors that the follower may initiate and the player must complete. The idea is that you finish these jobs for the gain of your follower. It's a formalization of the money making systems present in a lot of these kinds of mods. For example, Wartimes has a couple jobs you have to do in order to pay off your father (guards, horse, dogs). Both Maria Eden and SLTR employ forced prostitution and this can be thought of as an "extended" job. Anytime the player asks if there's some way they can make a little extra money, the follower can start up a job. Failing it or refusing to start when in debt results in even more debt. And just like with deals, if you're enslaved, there is no turning down jobs and the follower may start them on their own. These can start off pretty tame, just regular radiant quests to clear out bandit camps or deliver a letter, and then slowly but surely progress into more lurid content. There's a spec for a relationship stage progression system below that includes one for indentured servitude. Lupine mentions how this could mean the player has to go shopping (like Deviously Cursed Loot's shopping quest) for their follower.

There was also an old Lupine blog post about a progressive relationship system consisting of the following stages that I thought was really fascinating. They were thinking about it as a different mod entirely but I think it actually fits quite nicely into the progression offered by DFC.

1. Player as leader
  2. Player and follower as equals
  3. Follower as leader
  4. Player as indentured servant
  5. Player as slave

Using compatibility bridges we can start up and end other mods during this overall progression i.e.

1. Player as leader
    1. regular DFC deal progression
  2. Player and follower as equals
    1. Follower starts suggesting quests to do and if the player routinely turns them down they will increase debt to speed up the downward spiral
    2. Follower expects more money (since you're equal partners they should be getting an equal split, right?)
  3. Follower as leader
    1. Immediately initiates gold control mode, now you're not paying off your follower, they're paying you off and they get to decide exactly how much you're allowed to get (generally a small amount)
    2. Follower initiates quests, reduces the player's earnings when player tries to start quests without asking for permission
    3. Follower takes away all loot from player after dungeon raids like you did to them
    4. Follower assumes ownership of any player homes (can start implementing household features as described in the original roadmap)
    5. Maybe start up Inversion of Power if its finished or implement that system in this mod. I'm building an SKSE plugin so I have access to more under the hood information that could help me make this kind of system. One thing I was playing around with is to have the follower have a conversation with quest-giving NPCs that the player normally would. Like if you walk into the Riverwood Trader, your follower walks up to Lucan to get the Golden Claw quest. If you try to talk to Lucan there is no option to get it. But this may require significant grunt work.
    6. Player is charged for using items they pick up during quests (that was the follower's to sell not your's to use, dummy)
  4. Player as indentured servant
    1. Add an extra inventory control system where the player is not allowed to equip or have anything offensive e.g. proper armor, weapons, destruction spells (use an SL Survival magic blocking collar), etc.
    2. Auto-start the clothing deal?
    3. This is similar to Wartimes
    4. Player must cook and clean for follower (auto-start the maid deal from the roadmap?)
    5. Required to live with follower but is charged rent (follower "purchases" a home or uses the player's home they took as collateral)
  5. Player as slave
    1. Start up SLTR or SD+ (and turn off debt system to let SD take care of it) or build out DFC's slavery system
    2. If built in, I need to introduce a new stat (call it compliance) that is similar to submission in SLTR and SD as well as a proper shock collar system to enforce compliance

This also solves @Aldid's point about deals being picked incoherently. Each deal, event, and job is associated with one of these stages. At level 1, your follower can only suggest tamer stuff i.e. gloves, boots, etc. and at level 5 anything's possible. The mod author decides what stage(s) their deal, event, or job is best started at. The end user can disable each stage they don't want as well as the new system that are added at each new stage. So if you don't like the idea of housework you can just disable it.

For the rest of the roadmap, as stated, I'm hoping different mod authors can actually implement the individual deals and rules they find interesting. I'm hoping the framework is so straightforward someone with even a little Papyrus experience can make something interesting (I will create a proper written tutorial to facilitate this). That still leaves a couple miscellaneous items:

• Household support: some really interesting ideas in both the thread and the comments. Unfortunately, I think a lot of these have to be implemented by a single person (me, in this case). What we could do is allow mod authors to tag certain rules/deals as household-exclusive as in they're only expected to apply/trigger when in a house?
  • Spouse support: Rewriting all the dialogue to accommodate spouses is a big task. We can allow mod authors to tag their rules/deals/events as spouse exclusive. This would allow DFF to add content to Pet Project. So you could build out more events and agreements (beyond chastity) with your spouse.
  • Housecarl support: I'm kind of eh on this. I don't really buy any of the housecarls being this awful to their thane at least going by their in-game personalities. Also very time-consuming. But open to discussing this further.
  • DD5 support: I'm very, very tempted to just make Inte's Devious Devices Equip a hard dependency in order to offload this problem to someone else. It doesn't strike me as being super necessary to build this logic from scratch buuuut, DDe does have a lot of its own deps that DFC doesn't need so that may be a poor choice.
  • Anunya's Follower Dismissal Enhancements: love this idea and it doesn't seem tremendously hard to implement (famous last words) and could be another thing that add-on developers can make themselves since its just adding dialogue topics.

I'm currently laser-focused on getting the basic deal injection system working since it forms up the foundation for everything else (this is just a bit of very premature speculation).

Edited by ponzipyramid

I really like the Idea of jobs, but I think everyone really underestimates how strict the controls need to be and overestimates how radical the jobs need to be.

The charm of DFC has always been that it lets you play out the kink fantasy while still playing Skyrim.  Enforcement systems have a place in kink mods but it's important to remember that the point of enforcements systems existing is for players to try to get out of them, cheat them and beat them.  A big part of the fantasy of DFC is that the follower is outsmarting the PC. 

Things like inventory and item management, mass dialogue overhauls ect. are EXTREMELY intrusive to actually playing skyrim.  They rely on the writer keeping the player on the perfect narrative track, and not breaking out of it at all (which players will do  if you make that the game).  

My vote was always for a very simplistic job giving/enforcing experience.  Something as simple as the follower suggesting which quest to do, or more likely generating simple skyrim-like quests is good enough.  

"dear PC go to xxx NPC and do xxx and I will give you a discount/credit on your debt" works just fine for a follower as equal narrative

"dear PC go to xxx NPC and do xxx or I will increase your debt/increase my daily pay/require a new deal" works just fine for a demanding follower narrative.

The best thing is that the enforcement for these can be very simple.  A follower-equal is offering money that the PC needs, the player gets to CHOOSE to obey (or potentially not obey if other Skyrim stuff needs doing).  A Follower-leader only needs a super simple enforcement mechanic of a timer to make it a demand.  The player then gets to experience the stress of obeying or not obeying and the genuine fear of punishment for disobeying.

As for the Jobs themselves, creating your own simplistic quests that parallel normal skyrim quests allows you do drip feed in the deviousness.  For example clothing fit for a jarl could be copied to show off armor for the legion.  Depending on the state of things you could be modeling actual armor or it could be the slutty stuff from the outfit deal.  Have the legates react with some dialogue and that's all you need.  The submission play is all there, getting ordered around, getting dressed up, potentially having the legate "see through you" in practical armor, or humor you in less practical armor.  

In general things like prostitution jobs don't have a lot of value, there are TONS of mods that do that game already.  You don't need the follower to interact with that at all.  If the player likes prostitutions scenes they will surely have a prostitutions mod installed already.  The PC will need money so the enforcement is already handled.