Hardly any mods show up in-game

I seem to be stuck in vanilla Skyrim. Almost no mods work. Of 30+ mods installed, only 2 shows up in the mod menu in-game. I also get an error when trying to install FNIS which says that the folder structure is incorrect, but I don't know how to change it. I also get an error saying that I have an LE version of a Devious Devices .dll file, although all the DD mods I've installed clearly says they are SE versions. I'm using Mod Organizer 2 and have the Steam version of Skyrim Special Edition. What could I be doing wrong? Is the downgrade to 1.5 of the game a requirement? That's the only thing I've done wrong as far as I can think of, skipping that step. ?

Vor 1 Stunde sagte MattTheBrat:

Ich stecke anscheinend in Vanilla Skyrim fest. Fast keine Mods funktionieren. Von über 30 installierten Mods werden nur 2 im Mod-Menü im Spiel angezeigt. Ich erhalte auch eine Fehlermeldung, wenn ich versuche, FNIS zu installieren, die besagt, dass die Ordnerstruktur falsch ist, aber ich weiß nicht, wie ich sie ändern kann. Ich bekomme auch eine Fehlermeldung, die besagt, dass ich eine LE-Version einer Devious Devices .dll-Datei habe, obwohl alle DD-Mods, die ich installiert habe, eindeutig sagen, dass es sich um SE-Versionen handelt. Ich verwende Mod Organizer 2 und habe die Steam-Version von Skyrim Special Edition. Was könnte ich falsch machen? Ist das Downgrade auf 1.5 des Spiels eine Voraussetzung? Das ist das einzige, was ich falsch gemacht habe, soweit ich denken kann, diesen Schritt zu überspringen. ?

Oh man - where do you start - if the questioner doesn't even know how extensive his problems actually are...
..say that things don't work that he doesn't even know exist.
*sighs*

something very simple:
Do you use the "skse" - the "script extender" at all?
If so - which version is it?
Do you start your game at all with "skse"?
Do you even know what it's for?
(sorry - I don't recognize that from your posting!)

So you're using the Skyrim AE?
So the version that has existed for a year?
If so - which number does it have?

Why am I asking this?
Because the "script-extender" that you use to start the game because of the mods has to fit the Skyrim version used!

And of course the installed mods have to work with the Skyrim version used at all.
..a mod for Sykrim LE will mostly NOT work with SE or AE
etc. etc.

Not all mods have an MCM at all - so you don't see anything there either.
If a mod has or should have an MCM and it is not displayed - then the installation is usually faulty.

What doesn't work there?
Sorry - my crystal ball is with the maintenance technician and I don't have any matching tee leaves either.
Unless you even have a list of installed mods...

2 hours ago, MattTheBrat said:

I seem to be stuck in vanilla Skyrim. Almost no mods work. Of 30+ mods installed, only 2 shows up in the mod menu in-game. I also get an error when trying to install FNIS which says that the folder structure is incorrect, but I don't know how to change it. I also get an error saying that I have an LE version of a Devious Devices .dll file, although all the DD mods I've installed clearly says they are SE versions. I'm using Mod Organizer 2 and have the Steam version of Skyrim Special Edition. What could I be doing wrong? Is the downgrade to 1.5 of the game a requirement? That's the only thing I've done wrong as far as I can think of, skipping that step. ?

You're really not giving us anything to go on to help you.

Screenshots of your MO2 window might help.

The filepaths you used for your game and for FNIS might help.  Same with a screenshot of the orange window that comes up when you try to run FNIS.

Are you launching from the Steam/vanilla launcher, or did you set up the SKSE launcher?

48 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

Oh man - where do you start

[Q] Do you use the "skse"

[A] Yes

[Q] If so - which version is it?
[A] Anniversary Edition build 2.2.3

[Q] Do you start your game at all with "skse"?
[A] Yes, from within Mod Organizer 2

[Q] So you're using the Skyrim AE?
[A] No, I'm using the Special Edition, but was instructed by someone to download the AE version of SKSE anyway. Perhaps that's the problem? 

[Q] If so - which number does it have?
[A] I don't know. How do I check this?

53 minutes ago, travelmedic said:

[Q] Screenshots of your MO2 window might help.

[A] I have attached a photo of the error I get when trying to install FNIS. 

[Q] The filepaths you used for your game and for FNIS might help. 

[A] The filepath is C:\Program (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\

[Q] Same with a screenshot of the orange window that comes up when you try to run FNIS.
[A] I haven't run it becvause it fails at install. 

[Q] Are you launching from the Steam/vanilla launcher, or did you set up the SKSE launcher?
[A] I'm using the SKSE launcher inside MO2. I select SKSE in the drop-down menu and click on Run. 

fnis.jpg

29 minutes ago, traison said:

So you have SKSE for AE, but you're using SE? Get your versions straight and some things may start working.

Yes, I was following some advice in a YouTube video. It said to ignore the fact that it was for AE and download that version anyway. I'll try the SE one, thanks. 

Edit: I tried it now but still got the error saying "The content of <data> does not look valid."

Edited by MattTheBrat

If you got Skyrim SE from Steam, then verify that you got these depot and manifest ids:

489831 7848722008564294070

489832 8702665189575304780

489833 2289561010626853674

If you don't know what that is then you did not get SE from Steam, but rather AE, as that is the only officially available version of the game. The downgrader supposedly can take you back to SE, but whichever version you choose you can not mix them up when it comes to SKSE and 99% of the SKSE based mods.

I see now that there's also another error that I didn't notice before. It says: "You have one or more plugins that are not form 44. Form 43 (or lower) plugins are modules that were made for Skyrim LE (Oldrim) and have not been properly ported to Skyrim Special Edition, which uses form 44 plugins. This usually results in parts of the mod not working correctly."

You'd only see those depot and manifest ids if you blocked updates on steam before the AE update was released (like me), ie you have a pure and original SE version. Alternatively you'd see those if you used the steam console to specifically download them, however I doubt they're available for download anymore. As far as I know the downgrader does not change those values, there's no need, and in fact it would be better if it didn't. But, for posterity, you can check those numbers in the appmanifest_489830.acf file in steam's steamapps directory that contains skyrim se/ae.

You should instead get your skyrim version from the executable: SkyrimSE.exe, see the product version field. 1.5.* is SE, 1.6.* is AE.

Edited by traison
17 minutes ago, traison said:

You should instead get your skyrim version from the executable: SkyrimSE.exe, see the product version field. 1.5.* is SE, 1.6.* is AE.

Aha, now I found the game version info. I do indeed have 1.6. Does that mean I might help to use the 1.5 downgrade patch before installing SE mods? 

skyrimse.jpg

Edited by MattTheBrat
  • Instead of AE and SE think in terms of executable versions (yep, the number you got in the last screenshot)
  • The SKSE you install must match the executable version you have (example: image.png.ec472926f67901cdb36f716b4b0a705f.png )
  • Most mods containing a dll file will require a specific executable or SKSE version
  • If you read the info for each mod and get the proper files you should be okay, no need to downgrade (and if you do downgrade you'll still need to keep an eye out for mods with a dll file and confirming you're getting files for 1.5.97 and the respective SKSE for that version)
  • Form 43/44 messages are not an issue, there has been plenty of discourse about this already if you want to read about it
  • When you install a mod in MO and it says something about invalid data you need to fix the folder structure of said mod. This happens when a mod has additional folders like "fnis_version_something\data\<mod files>" instead of just "\data\<mod files>", during the install process you need to expand all the folders and if you see a "data" folder right click on it and select "set as data", if there is no "data" folder in the mod you'll need to select the folder containing the mod files (like the esp file, meshes or textures folders and so on)
  • Not every mod appears in the mod menu you see in the game. And I hope you're talking about the "Mod Configuration" menu (commonly referred as MCM) and not the "Mods" or "Add-ons" menus because these are entirely different things to what you install in MO
  • For specific issues (like Devious Devices) refer to the existing forum threads for these mods, I think DD in particular requires an additional patch to work with 1.6+ versions of the game
Edited by Just Don't
30 minutes ago, MattTheBrat said:

Aha, now I found the game version info. I do indeed have 1.6. Does that mean I might help to use the 1.5 downgrade patch before installing SE mods? 

skyrimse.jpg

Version 1.6.640 is AE (anniversy edition) so you need the AE version of SKSE for that - Current Anniversary Edition build 2.2.3 (game version 1.6.640)

Then you need the AE version of sexlab for that as well - For Skyrim Special Edition (1.6.640, aka AE) use SexLabFrameworkAE_v165.7z

And appropriate requirements

As a rule of thumb, if the mod in question comes with a .DLL file then you need the AE version of it, if it doesn't have that sort of file then anything for SE should (hopefully) work

Downgrading back to 1.5.97 is an option i suppose but it depends on whether what your trying to use mods needs that or has an AE version, as you mentioned something like 30 mods it would probably be easier to try and get AE to work than to try and get back to SE (v 1.5.97) unless there is a mod you absolutely need to use

Edited by pinky6225
37 minutes ago, Just Don't said:
  • Instead .....

I tried downgrading to 1.5 and reinstall the correct SKSE version. But most mods still makes the game crash as soon as I try to launch it. Also, I get "Plugin not found" errors in MO2 even when I have deactivated those mods in MO2. Also, can I run FNIS from anywhere or do I need to move it into the Skyrim data folder or something in order for it to work? 

I had the game working fine with 100+ mods a few years ago, but now when revisiting the game I guess I've forgotten how to do all this. Back then I think I used the NMM, not the MO2, if that makes a difference. I use MO2 both to install and activate/deactivate mods. 

Edited by MattTheBrat
45 minutes ago, pinky6225 said:

Downgrading back to 1.5.97 is an option i suppose but....

Yeah, perhaps I should have waited for your reply before downgrading. Pulled the trigger on the downgrade patch and reinstalled the correct version of SKSE. But the game crashes as soon as I try to launch it, unless I deactivate these two. I don't understand why as they are clearly the SE version? I downloaded them from the SE section and even the files says they are SE versions. 

sexlab.jpg

24 minutes ago, MattTheBrat said:

I tried downgrading to 1.5 and reinstall the correct SKSE version. But most mods still makes the game crash as soon as I try to launch it.

Like I said, you also need to account for any mod containing a dll file. If you didn't revert to a previous version of these mods (example Racemenu, Sexlab) that is compatible with it, skse will fail to start and you'll crash. You also need to get the Address Library for SE, not AE.

25 minutes ago, MattTheBrat said:

Also, I get "Plugin not found" errors in MO2 even when I have deactivated those mods in MO2.

What plugin? from a mod? do you get that message as you try to load a save or when opening the game? Remember in order to completely deactivate a mod you need to do it in the left pane of MO. But I'm not sure why or what you're deactivating.

27 minutes ago, MattTheBrat said:

Also, can I run FNIS from anywhere or do I need to move it into the Skyrim data folder or something in order for it to work? 

You need to install FNIS as any other mod. Then you need to add the executable to MO and run it from there. There are plenty of written and video tutorials about this.

7 minutes ago, Just Don&#x27;t said:

I can't see that I'm doing anything terribly wrong. Could it be that the game is installed in the "Program (x86)" folder, which is sort of a semi-secure folder, and that Windows Defender somehow stops MO2 from modding the game properly? 

1 hour ago, MattTheBrat said:

Yeah, perhaps I should have waited for your reply before downgrading. Pulled the trigger on the downgrade patch and reinstalled the correct version of SKSE. But the game crashes as soon as I try to launch it, unless I deactivate these two. I don't understand why as they are clearly the SE version? I downloaded them from the SE section and even the files says they are SE versions. 

sexlab.jpg

The SE aroused version i have is from https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/5482-sexlab-aroused-redux-sse-version-29/

Which looks to have a slightly different archive name, that said usually crashes at the beth logo (assume thats what you mean by when you try to launch) are a missing dependancy which you can spot by running SE edit with everything enabled

If its not getting that far then its prolly an issue with SKSE version and address library as you'll need to check you now have the SE (game ver 1.5.97) version of those

It would help if you post the full list of mods your trying to work as it could be you have some that have been updated to AE which won't work with SE, i know the unofficial patch now has the free creation kit mods as a dependancy (pass on why) so trying to use the latest version of that after downgrading might not work (haven't actually used the downgrade myself so dunno if it removes the free creation kit stuff that comes with AE)

35 minutes ago, pinky6225 said:

That's it! Installing that version of SL Aroused seems to have solved all the problems I was having. Now all the mods seems to load in-game too. Now I just have the arm issue, where everyone in-game has no animations and are just hoovering around with their arms out. :-))

37 minutes ago, MattTheBrat said:

That's it! Installing that version of SL Aroused seems to have solved all the problems I was having. Now all the mods seems to load in-game too. Now I just have the arm issue, where everyone in-game has no animations and are just hoovering around with their arms out. :-))

That sounds like an issue with FNIS, i don't use mod organiser myself (MO/MO2) but i know you need to run FNIS from within it and then move the files (i think)

Anyways step 12 from this guide https://www.loverslab.com/topic/177124-the-skyrim-se-tesvse-modding-cheatbook-guide-sep21/

Should sort you out