Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Index of my tutorials over on the CS4 thread for those new to modding:

Here is a script for parsing the 3DMigoto output for anyone who wants to mod this game.  Latest version is always at my GitHub.

Upload replaced 8/27/23.

Ys8_FrameDumpTool.zip

How to use:

Put vb_ys8dump.py and lib_fmtibvb.py in your frame dump folder and run vb_ys8dump.py.  It will go through all the files and attempt to convert the output into files that can be imported into Blender.  Everything will be deposited into the output folder.  It will output raw buffers (.ib/.vb/.fmt), NOT frame analysis dump files (.txt), so be sure to choose raw buffers when importing.  You also need a modified version of DarkStarSword's amazing Blender plugin that allows for Vec4 position and normal data (included in the attached download).

If you're not familiar with using Blender and 3DMigoto, please see my prior tutorials.  You can start here.  (Where it says to use vb_merge.py, use vb_ys8dump.py instead.  Where it says to import frame analysis dump, import raw buffers instead.)  When importing the buffers, change the orientation to Y-forward, Z-up.

1759829579_2022-12-1015_09_33-Window.png.f07bd2281f81cf78ff0400e4eb1bf5ed.png

When importing back into the game, the .ib/.vb files can be used directly and do not need to be split like Cold Steel.  Just make an .ini file with VB stride of 88 and IB format of R32_UINT, like this:

[Resource_Model_MyMod_VB]
type = Buffer
stride = 88
filename = MyMod.vb

[Resource_Model_MyMod_IB]
type = Buffer
format = R32_UINT
filename = MyMod.ib

[ResourceReplaceTextureMyMod00]
filename = MyMod.dds

[TextureOverride_MyMod]
hash = xxxxxxxx
ps-t0 = ResourceReplaceTextureMyMod00
vb0 = Resource_Model_MyMod_VB
ib = Resource_Model_MyMod_IB
handling = skip
drawindexed = auto

For texture replacement, Ys VIII uses DXT10 format (BC7 UNORM, no mipmaps).  If you are using Paint.NET, set your DDS export to match this:

1966070910_2022-12-1020_27_30-Window.png.5d857611bce81296ff172d34df8174c8.png

EDIT: If you would like VGMaps and a skeleton to bind to, I have some tools at my GitHub.  I was hoping to make and import/export tool but the game crashes with my import tool, so I am giving up on that project for now.  But the exporter works fine for obtaining vgmaps and skeleton which can be used for 3DMigoto modding, see my tutorial here in the Kuro no Kiseki thread.

Enjoy!  As always, if you create something you like, I hope you share!

Edited by amorrow28

Congrats for making the first nude mod for an Ys game! lol

It was about time somebody tackled this Falcom series considering how much Trails was getting, so better late than never. Btw, I hope you plan on doing the same for Ys IX, it uses the same engine as Ys VIII (an internal engine named Yamaneko) but the PC port is a lot more polished, so it might be easier?

I have no current plans for Ys IX and I do not take requests, I only mod games I am currently playing. I’m not even done with this game, I’m still at the start of chapter 5. I’ll eventually release an update, since I released this mod when I was still in chapter 2.

Having said that, it’s a reasonable bet that I’ll play and mod Ys9 eventually… I’ve modded CS1-4, Hajimari, Kuro, Tokyo Xanadu and Ys8 after all. ?

EDIT: My Ys IX mod is here.

Edited by amorrow28
7 hours ago, amorrow28 said:

I have no current plans for Ys IX and I do not take requests, I only mod games I am currently playing. I’m not even done with this game, I’m still at the start of chapter 5. I’ll eventually release an update, since I released this mod when I was still in chapter 2.

Having said that, it’s a reasonable bet that I’ll play and mod Ys9 eventually… I’ve modded CS1-4, Hajimari, Kuro, Tokyo Xanadu and Ys8 after all. ?

Take your time, the games are great! Also in case you didn't know, the PS Vita, Switch, and PS5 versions of Ys VIII have lots of costumes for the characters that never made it to the PC version.

Spoiler

ys-viii-bonuses.jpg.b87f40931e6d83082041e143efcb3353.jpg

Fortunately, someone made a mod that puts back all of them (except for 2 that are still exclusive to PS5) to the PC version so try it out if you're interested, and maybe it can inspire people to make mods around these costumes.

Edited by Goraikou
On 12/18/2022 at 3:53 PM, Goraikou said:

Take your time, the games are great! Also in case you didn't know, the PS Vita, Switch, and PS5 versions of Ys VIII have lots of costumes for the characters that never made it to the PC version.

Fortunately, someone made a mod that puts back all of them (except for 2 that are still exclusive to PS5) to the PC version so try it out if you're interested, and maybe it can inspire people to make mods around these costumes.

Thank you for posting that, I was unaware of that mod!

• 2 weeks later...

DanaCam.png.a1f3d9a390fb6f90ad900f7fbd47799a.png

Free camera for Ys8!  This is for the NISA North American release (Steam, Nov 2022 update).  Thanks as always to Cyber for the original free camera movement algorithm.

New version 1.1 here: https://www.loverslab.com/topic/201999-ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana/?do=findComment&comment=3990406

Ys8_Free_Camera.CT - OBSOLETE

Features:

• Force Pause Animation - Insert key to turn on, Delete key to turn off - this completely pauses the game! Check the box before trying to use. As currently implemented, free camera cannot be activated while the game is paused.
  • Hide HUD/Minimap
  • Unlock tilt
  • Set Custom Camera Distance (FOV) - Home key to zoom in, end key to zoom out. Check the box before trying to use
  • Free Camera - press NumPad 0 to activate. See instructions below on how to navigate.  Does not work during force pause or cutscenes.
  • Camera coordinates - mostly informational.

How to use:

These are cheat tables for use with Cheat Engine (link).  Cheat engine comes with a bunch of garbage apps, please read VERY CAREFULLY when installing and do not install the extra apps!  (You can also get cheat engine without adware via Dark Byte's Patreon, or by building CE yourself from source code using Lazarus.)  If you've never used Cheat Engine, I put basic instructions on loading a table here in the Kuro no Kiseki thread.

Free Camera Controls:

Hotkey : Num 0 (Toggle On/Off)

Num 8 : Forward
Num 5 : Backward
Num 4 : Left
Num 6 : Right
Num - : Up
Num + : Down

Arrow Up : Tilt Up
Arrow Down : Tilt Down
Arrow Right : Pan Left
Arrow Left : Pan Right

F1 : Decrease Camera Speed (Press and Hold)
F2 : Double Camera Speed (Press and Hold)
F3 : Quadruple Camera Speed (Press and Hold)

Some notes:

Spoiler

Sorry, it's not fully complete, and probably never will be complete.  The engine is a little finicky and refuses to cooperate with me.  Also, I'm just not as motivated to work on this, I'd rather play the game...  But it works well enough that I thought I'd release it.  The arrow keys don't work properly (left key pans right and right key pans left), but when I assign them correctly, pan locks for some reason.  The mouse works fine to look around though.  Also, I couldn't figure out a way to release the camera during force pause without also unpausing the game.

Here are all my other free camera scripts:  Trails of Cold Steel (CS) 1, CS2, CS3, Hajimari no Kiseki, Kuro no Kiseki, Kuro no Kiseki 2, Tokyo Xanadu eX+, Atelier Ryza, Atelier Ryza 2.  I also made a MinZ (*cough* upskirt) script for CS4.

Enjoy!

Edited by amorrow28
38 minutes ago, Goraikou said:

Thanks for making this! I've tried making a freecam cheat table for Ys 8 and 9 before but I had a very rough time and couldn't get it to work like I wanted.

You're welcome! And don't give up, getting it working even a bit is a big success, even if it's not to where you want it to be. Cheat engine has an incredibly steep learning curve!

• 4 weeks later...

ys8_freecam.png.eefa7e36d26aaaa7ece8007f019ef4b1.png

Here is an update to the camera script!  (EDIT: Upload replaced for small bug fix with force pause.)

Ys8_Free_Camera_1.1.1.CT

New features:

• Free camera can now be used in cutscenes, and while forced pause is active

How to use:

These are cheat tables for use with Cheat Engine (link).  Cheat engine comes with a bunch of garbage apps, please read VERY CAREFULLY when installing and do not install the extra apps!  (You can also get cheat engine without adware via Dark Byte's Patreon, or by building CE yourself from source code using Lazarus.)  If you've never used Cheat Engine, I put basic instructions on loading a table here in the Kuro no Kiseki thread.

Features:

• Force Pause Animation - Insert key to turn on, Delete key to turn off - this completely pauses the game! Check the box before trying to use.
  • Hide HUD/Minimap - Hides most of the interface.
  • Unlock tilt - Increases allowed angle to +/- 89.5 degrees.
  • Set Custom Camera Distance (FOV) - Home key to zoom in, end key to zoom out. Check the box before trying to use.
  • Free Camera - press NumPad 0 to activate. See instructions below on how to navigate.
  • Camera coordinates - mostly informational.

Free Camera Controls:

Hotkey : Num 0 (Toggle On/Off)

Num 8 : Forward
Num 5 : Backward
Num 4 : Left
Num 6 : Right
Num - : Up
Num + : Down

Arrow keys are still inverted, I can't figure out what the issue is.  Just use the mouse to look around instead.

Arrow Up : Tilt Up
Arrow Down : Tilt Down
Arrow Right : Pan Left
Arrow Left : Pan Right

F1 : Decrease Camera Speed (Press and Hold)
F2 : Double Camera Speed (Press and Hold)
F3 : Quadruple Camera Speed (Press and Hold)

Here are all my other free camera scripts:  Trails of Cold Steel (CS) 1, CS2, CS3, Hajimari no Kiseki, Kuro no Kiseki, Kuro no Kiseki 2, Tokyo Xanadu eX+, Atelier Ryza, Atelier Ryza 2.  I also made a MinZ (*cough* upskirt) script for CS4.

Enjoy!

Edited by amorrow28

Hey all, Falcom Screenshot Guy here. This time I'm bringing a compilation of Ys 8 screens! There are mild spoilers throughout the album. I recommend not downloading if you're interested in the game and want to go completely blind. And as always, massive thanks to @amorrow28 for being a fucking wizard and bringing all these scripts for us for free and @coomi for the nude models that just keep on giving. Anyway, without further ado:

1770857521_Laxia(16).png.17cd4aee88b623b0b931f1651b6e035f.png1557214364_Laxia(8).png.5b0f3d55791622a76d780a525ef70d07.png6093228_Dana(18).png.4f37430f466ebfa56530a2c23ddbce84.png
271787237_Dana(2).png.dcaedb00fe8ff91e9d50f78bff7eecd8.png

YScreens - Lacrimosa of DANA.rar

If you're hungry for more Falcom waifus, check out my albums for Cold Steel 3, Cold Steel 4 and Hajimari!
That's it for now, see you next time.

15 hours ago, Whayameen said:

Hey all, Falcom Screenshot Guy here. This time I'm bringing a compilation of Ys 8 screens! There are mild spoilers throughout the album. I recommend not downloading if you're interested in the game and want to go completely blind. And as always, massive thanks to @amorrow28 for being a fucking wizard and bringing all these scripts for us for free and @coomi for the nude models that just keep on giving. Anyway, without further ado:

1770857521_Laxia(16).png.17cd4aee88b623b0b931f1651b6e035f.png1557214364_Laxia(8).png.5b0f3d55791622a76d780a525ef70d07.png6093228_Dana(18).png.4f37430f466ebfa56530a2c23ddbce84.png
271787237_Dana(2).png.dcaedb00fe8ff91e9d50f78bff7eecd8.png

YScreens - Lacrimosa of DANA.rar 115.77 MB · 44 downloads

If you're hungry for more Falcom waifus, check out my albums for Cold Steel 3, Cold Steel 4 and Hajimari!
That's it for now, see you next time.

You've done it again!  Everyone should check these screens out.  :D (Actually, PLAY THE GAME FIRST, don't spoil the game for yourself...  but admittedly the spoilers are very mild.)

I was wondering what you were going to do here, honestly, but you managed to pull out a nice transition with the use of the nude variants!  Thanks for doing what Falcom did not (grr double towel).

Spoiler

177186441_Laxia(6).png.f04c35afed6a47418344e9c0c3ec26dd.png

1895457635_Laxia(8).png.5cd8c3b971decc98233ce6f535587adc.png

1862906792_Laxia(9).png.b6d04162b1f62a13043143fc86739bb5.png

1749564019_Laxia(10).png.139cfe41c8eb1424ca6c628eb874f789.png

One of my biggest gripes with Falcom is the lack of facial animations / expressions out in the field.  I literally was not able to take any good screenshots of the luminous / gratika forms.  I'm impressed with your clever framing to get around this!  (Not to mention just plain dramatic shots!)

Spoiler

1145541701_Dana(25).png.1b61bd92c3ba35c873ec9752bee2ea50.png

2080064376_Dana(37).png.e22c115a3f2d1c514817791ca0a10c29.png

Even Adol can't resist a glance...  ?  I think I enjoy your implied story sequences more than anything in all your screenshot series!

Spoiler

1106653809_Dana(10).png.bfc3df44bd2bae9f1b691007458f8505.png

640995363_Dana(11).png.9955c6cee1260be89f2ebeea9ce02905.png

1740212164_Dana(12).png.9af8bbfd2e5b1d58db3aba85965e3f71.png

335002920_Dana(13).png.ea5e878f6bd1d4919a55180455976d62.png

We're not worthy!

• 3 weeks later...