Monitors vs. TVs

I need a new monitor, looking for a 32" screen. I've been looking for a while now and found that a lot of TVs appear to be just as good as a monitor and quite a bit cheaper. Most of them however don't disclose their refresh rates so that's why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The few that do mention refresh are always labeled "gaming" and anything with gaming ahead of the name is always more expensive even if it's identical to a regular monitor or tv.

So anyone know if there's a way to figure out refresh rates based on what you normally find listed for a modern tv? Or even have a recommendation. 

I'm currently on a budget and trying to keep it below 200$.

One monitor I was looking at was close to 300, but a "tv" that looked like it had identical resolution, hrz etc was only 189. (no listed refresh)

Thanks in advance

TVs tend to have limitations that Monitors do not. For example, a tv with 120mhz refresh rate might cost more than a monitor with the same. A tv might not have the connection ports you want, for example some of them do not have display port.  TVs tend to have higher input lag.

If you can find a tv with all the features you want, the same size you want, and at a lower price than a monitor I think it would be a fine choice.

Edit: after a few google searches, I found a decent article comparing the two that might be helpful for you:

https://www.displayninja.com/tv-vs-monitor/

I've been using a BenQ GW2765HT since 2018, fantastic monitor. I would really highly recommend Benq in general as I have never had problems with these like I have with Acer and some other cheaper brands.

Care to name the monitor and tv in question? I could take a quick look and see if I can spot any major differences in features. For stuff like refresh rate you would probably need to look at the brand's product page, they don't typically mention those on store pages because it's not a marketable feature if it is too low.

Edited by sila