FemRim SE/VR

This mod changes some 666 generic leveled-list base NPCs from male to female. This mostly applies to guards, soldiers, commanders, bandits, the Forsworn, and necromancers, the Vigilant of Stendarr, Vampires, the Demora, the Thalmor, warlocks, and thieves.
The mod also changes all of the above listed NPCs of the animal races to more human like races, like Bretons, elves, etc.

Having tried mods like SkyFem and various leveled list feminization mods, I've found that most of these don't work for some reason, or they do work (SkyFem), but cause considerable issues and are difficult to install.

I have noticed, though, that the "Female Imperial Guards and Soldiers" mod by soulofmandalore does, in fact, work, though this mod only replaces roughly half of the imperial soldiers and guards (and none of the commanders) with females. So I decided to take a look at what this mod does differently, and quickly found out that, rather than relying on altered leveled lists, it takes a more basic and robust approach of modifying the male base actors who populate those lists.
Since I've always wanted to try out a Skyrim experience where women are in charge, with the men nearly extinct, I've decided to create my own mod using this method and replace all the male NPCs I can (with a backstory idea in mind, to later integrate the mod with the lore of my Frostbite-Clan-line of mods). Now, since this means changing each and every one of the template NPCs, what takes about two minutes each (the relevant tabs are on opposite sides of the actor window and need to be navigated between, using arrow buttons, at least two times, multiple records need to be changed, and a visual check has to be performed, and possible malformations corrected in the morph tab – this, however, has the advantage that the resulting NPCs will be somewhat better-looking than those automatically generated by Skyfem).

Enjoy!

Requirements:

Female Briarhearts (for versions 0.4 and higher)

Fuz Ro D-Oh – a soft requirement, but quite essential if you want to be able to read what some of the feminized NPCs are saying

Dragonborn
Hearthfires

Dawnguard

Compatibility:
I'm not sure, if this is compatible with LE. It will probably require an SSE optimizer sweep. I will do that at some point, when the mod is in a more finished state.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    09/18/2022
  • Category
  • Requires
    Female Briarhearts, Fuz Ro D-Oh, Dragonborn, Hearthfires, Dawnguard
  • Regular Edition Compatible
    No

On 9/18/2022 at 5:41 PM, gargamel9 said:

I've always wanted to try out a Skyrim experience where women are in charge, with the men nearly extinct,

Man, your should totally watch Polish 1984 comedy "Sexmisja".

This does seem like a cool idea. The only catch I can think of is Dragon Rising. When I first started using the old Diverse Guards mod, whenever it was a female guard who came to report the dragon attack on the Whiterun tower, the game would get stuck. There was no female dialog for the dragon attack report and the scene would get stuck. I'd have to reload until the reporting guard was randomly assigned as a male guard.

[Edit: I see you've got Fus Ro D'oh listed so I assume that's taken care of with subtitles.]

Edited by Joker961
On 9/18/2022 at 7:54 PM, JohnConquest12 said:

Do you know if this will work at all with any NPC replacers?

If I understand how this works correctly, there should be no issues. If an NPC is replaced both by my mod and another mod, whichever is on top of the load order should take priority.

8 hours ago, belegost said:

Man, your should totally watch Polish 1984 comedy "Sexmisja".

I already have ;) Also, by the same director, I believe, "Kingsize" is an awesome movie, too, though not very kinky. But people who are into the giantess niche may appreciate a scene or two. In any case, a wonderfully humorous satire on communism.

6 hours ago, Joker961 said:

This does seem like a cool idea. The only catch I can think of is Dragon Rising. When I first started using the old Diverse Guards mod, whenever it was a female guard who came to report the dragon attack on the Whiterun tower, the game would get stuck. There was no female dialog for the dragon attack report and the scene would get stuck. I'd have to reload until the reporting guard was randomly assigned as a male guard.

[Edit: I see you've got Fus Ro D'oh listed so I assume that's taken care of with subtitles.]

Thanks. I can't really tell, as I stopped playing the main quest a long time ago. I actually use mods to specifically disable it, along with the dragons, shouts etc. But theoretically, I think, my mod should not cause the above described bug, as I do not replace any NPCs with other NPCs, but rather edit the existing ones. The generic ones at that, though I might have edited a few quest-related ones, which, however should play no significant role. Fus Ro D'oh, in any case, is pretty much a must, though, technically, not a hard dependency.

5 hours ago, gargamel9 said:

though not very kinky

Young Figura's naked butt and tits beg to differ.

Edited by belegost
On 9/26/2022 at 2:56 AM, gargamel9 said:

Thank you for your kind words! It didn't take much skill though. Just some very repetitive editing of actor forms.

One issue, the whiterun guard that's supposed to be male gets the main quest stuck, when you get to Jarl Balgruuf with the news from Helgen. The dialog won't play even though I have fuz ro'doh silent voice

Edit: It's hit or miss, alternate silent voice files by OldMansBeard made it so some dialog happens sometimes but things still get stuck eventually. My only "fix" right now is to exit and reenter the cell but that has me miss 50% of the content and it's more a bandaid than a solution plus it's unreliable. Many vanilla quest lines with no custom silent audio could get stuck like this.
I suggest adding an exception to "generic" NPCs that are used in quests. As far as I know they should still be distinguishable save for having a generic name

Edited by slkajhf34
5 hours ago, slkajhf34 said:

One issue, the whiterun guard that's supposed to be male gets the main quest stuck, when you get to Jarl Balgruuf with the news from Helgen. The dialog won't play even though I have fuz ro'doh silent voice

Edit: It's hit or miss, alternate silent voice files by OldMansBeard made it so some dialog happens sometimes but things still get stuck eventually. My only "fix" right now is to exit and reenter the cell but that has me miss 50% of the content and it's more a bandaid than a solution plus it's unreliable. Many vanilla quest lines with no custom silent audio could get stuck like this.
I suggest adding an exception to "generic" NPCs that are used in quests. As far as I know they should still be distinguishable save for having a generic name

That's unfortunate. Finding out what NPCs use the generic base ones as their template will be quite a task. For the time being, I'll leave it like this, as I don't really play the main quest line, and I'll get back to it at some later point. Or if anyone else is willing to do the job, feel free to use my mod, edit, and re-post!

16 hours ago, gargamel9 said:

That's unfortunate. Finding out what NPCs use the generic base ones as their template will be quite a task. For the time being, I'll leave it like this, as I don't really play the main quest line, and I'll get back to it at some later point. Or if anyone else is willing to do the job, feel free to use my mod, edit, and re-post!

I'm pretty sure other quests are gonna have the same problem down the line. Many entrance guards are still males so you can actually be let inside a city. I think an easy way to find which generic named npcs are involved in quests is to see if they have quest specific dialog.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:40 AM, slkajhf34 said:

I'm pretty sure other quests are gonna have the same problem down the line. Many entrance guards are still males so you can actually be let inside a city. I think an easy way to find which generic named npcs are involved in quests is to see if they have quest specific dialog.

Well, that's not really easy, as there are literally thousands of NPCs, hundreds of guards. The mere action you are suggesting would take a considerable amount of time to do for all of them. And it's not just guards. I don't really want to spend too much time on this mod, as I am already neglecting my main line of mods. This was done more less on a whim, upon discovering, how relatively easy it is to change the sex. In my type of playthrough, I do not rely much on vanilla quests, so I'm satisfied with it as is. But, as said, anyone is welcome to take my work and improve it.

The reason some of the level list versions of female only npc's do not work is that some npc's are specifically placed in the game world, not using level lists, they tend to only appear under the world section and not the level lists bit, easiest way to do this is, copy the entire npc section into new esp, then create the new female npc and delete the old male one, then do a check for errors, which should pull things showing every where that npc was used, allowing you to then re-place each of those errors with the new female npc.

Found this out ages ago when I was making a elin npc re-placer for every npc I could find as well as one for populated skyrim, to say it was tedious was a massive understatement.

9 hours ago, gargamel9 said:

Well, that's not really easy, as there are literally thousands of NPCs, hundreds of guards. The mere action you are suggesting would take a considerable amount of time to do for all of them. And it's not just guards. I don't really want to spend too much time on this mod, as I am already neglecting my main line of mods. This was done more less on a whim, upon discovering, how relatively easy it is to change the sex. In my type of playthrough, I do not rely much on vanilla quests, so I'm satisfied with it as is. But, as said, anyone is welcome to take my work and improve it.

Well good news. Since my posts I tried different builds of fuz ro d'oh and messing with the config seemed to somehow have fixed a lot of the problems I was coming across. It should be fine for now except for a few specific cases which could probably only need to be fixed individually. I don't know how to do this though so if there's a guide on it I'm willing to do it if I spot an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Shillingster1337 said:

Would there happen to be a guide on using this?

Just install via the mod manager of your choice, or copy the files into the corresponding folder, and you're good to go. There is no customization. Just be aware that some quests may be broken, or have glitches...

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Yuran said:

Is there a possibility to make a reverse version of this mod (female to male)? Thanks! If not posssible/not wanted, could you please explain how to make changes like this on NPC's generation list?

It is, indeed, very possible, but I will not do it, as this does not fit into my particular niche of taste, and there is so much other stuff I still want to do, which I keep delaying, that I can't really afford to spend any time on thing I do not want to do. And making what you say will take a lot of time, definitely over one hundred hours. But the good news is, it is very easy. All you need to do is open the Creation Kit, and make a new esp, with Skyrim, the Update and all the DLCs checked as masters. Then simply go to the actor section in the object window, and, one-by-one, open all the actors (i.e. NPCs) you want to change. In the traits tab, change their sex and voice type, In the character parts tab, make sure they have a male skin, hair, eyes etc., in the character morphs tab, you can adjust the shape of their face, if they look weird. When done, remember to select all the edited characters (they can be filtered out by checking the "select only active" checkbox in the object window), and press CTRL+F4 to generate the new face meshes and textures. Those need to be included, along with the .esp, in the mod file, in the corresponding directory. Which directory that is, you can see in my own mod... with the last level being named by the name of the mod itself.
Don't use my mod as the base, as that would mean twice as much work, as you would not only have to change the vanilla female characters in the game, but you would also have to change back the females I have changed from male. I recommend starting with all characters that start with ENC in the prefix. This will account for most of the bandits, mages etc. you will encounter, roaming freely. To see which types of characters I changed, you can open my mod in CK, and filter out the "active" actors.
It's really basic stuff. Watching two or three tutorials on Youtube on NPC creation will show you all you need, if this explanation was not sufficient. Also, expect the gender-swapped NPCs to be silent, i.e. you need to install Fuz Ro D'oh, to have them at least show subtitles, when speaking. Or you could recreate their lines in xVAsynth, but that would be a task even more enormous, by orders of magnitude, compared to the sex change.