Video Card Driver - Problem

5 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

I already uninstalled the driver, I just need to install it in safe mode. But hell, I'm scared, if it doesn't work what the hell am I going to do? Should I call a professional technician? I don't think it's that serious

No, the power supply is always lukewarm, doesn't smell like anything lol ... I guess that's normal. If it overheats, does that mean that it is not supporting everything connected to it? 

The monitor sometimes flickers but only when I move the furniture a lot while typing. I think that is the cable, but when I say ''sometimes'' I mean every 5 months or something similar and only for one or two seconds.  

:D relax, your going to be fine, its always a bit scary going through new things with computers after you get past it once or twice it becomes old hat, like riding a bicycle.

And if its PSU, not so bad those are usually not expensive to replace, a decent PSU probably better than the stock one in there is likely 40-60 dollars for a really good one.  90 for a 1,000-1,300 Watt PSU and you dont need something with that much power unless you want to have a whole bank full of graphics cards.

Edited by Gameplayer
22 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

Possible but we should rule out the Driver, 

Have you finally uninstalled?

Reinstalled,

Played some before it then does the whole blackscreen again?

Then try the Safe Mode route.

As far as PSU, your power supply unit.

Well about all we can do now,

Is tally up your power requirement, and look at the unit see what its rated for....If your Watts is under the limit needed by your parts then heck its already having trouble powering your equipment.

IF its too close well no one wants the max amount of the PSU to be close to the requirements, we prefer having excess power than required for gaming, does not have to be a lot can be ~200 Watts more.

Usually when its a PSU there are signs like, how it smells, how hot its getting, and sure sometimes you lose screen or graphics.

Bad PSU will smell like burnt plastic...

It can get real hot in there its measurable and the computer will shut itself down.

I've burned out at least 2 PSU's on this SR-2 MOBO haha, so I know about power failure.

Another guy (here) said that it may be a hardware problem (the card) but he didn't say how to check that. I opened the side cover and touched it, the card, and it is totally cold from the bottom and a little hot from the top on the metal plate it has. I guess that's normal. By ''little hot'', I mean I can put my finger on it and leave it there as long as I want, just feel warm. It's not boiling or anything

13 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

:D relax, your going to be fine, its always a bit scary going through new things with computers after you get past it once or twice it becomes old hat, like riding a bicycle.

And if its PSU, not so bad those are usually not expensive to replace, a decent PSU probably better than the stock one in there is likely 40-60 dollars for a really good one.  90 for a 1,000-1,300 Watt PSU and you dont need something with that much power unless you want to have a whole bank full of graphics cards.

Well, many thanks for all the help. Actually, I'd rather it be a power supply problem than fighting with that damn driver thing. But I don't think that's it. The power supply is actually almost cold  

4 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

Another guy (here) said that it may be a hardware problem (the card) but he didn't say how to check that. I opened the side cover and touched it, the card, and it is totally cold from the bottom and a little hot from the top on the metal plate it has. I guess that's normal. By ''little hot'', I mean I can put my finger on it and leave it there as long as I want, just feel warm. It's not boiling or anything

After you have installed the Driver its time to play some games, to stress test the card.

I suppose I could get you to download some benchmark test tools but honestly just playing a game for about 10-15 minutes should be a good enough indicator that the graphics card is working with the driver.

Other than that, when you opened up your case how was it in there?

Was there a bunch of dust?

Cause computers can get awefully dusty, sometimes getting them cleaned out is a good idea but you have to use compressed air or heck I have even used a vacuum but people will probably freak out if they knew I literally took a shop vacuum and vacc my PC out for the dust haha.  Never use liquids EVER! 

15 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

Well, many thanks for all the help. Actually, I'd rather it be a power supply problem than fighting with that damn driver thing. But I don't think that's it. The power supply is actually almost cold  

Oh I see you still have not installed the new driver I see how it is.

You know I have to go to bed soon haha, get on it, get your phone out connect to the forums.

Then power your pc into SAFE MODE, then uninstall the driver and install the new one, this takes very little time.

IF it turns out not to work well you may have to clean out the PC physically....Then test it after a decent cleaning with compressed air or vacuum...

After that, well honestly it could be a loose connection, meaning you have to open the case and be sure all the parts are fit snugly into the sockets, that takes a little more time depends on how big a machine we are talking about, maybe 10 minutes maybe more.

Then you test run it again.

But it is super late here.

EDIT,

If the PC looks dust free, well you dont need a cleaning....Still it might be a worth while exercise to check that all the parts are properly socketed.

Starting with.....The Video Card ! 

Yup, try disconecting the video card from the power cable and its socket.

Then reinstall the video card into its socket and reconnect the power cable.

Honestly this can actually cause the problem you have described earlier especially if the computer has been moved around, took a trip in a car....Etc Etc...

But all this stuff takes time to diagnose and think through.

Edited by Gameplayer
9 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

After you have installed the Driver its time to play some games, to stress test the card.

I suppose I could get you to download some benchmark test tools but honestly just playing a game for about 10-15 minutes should be a good enough indicator that the graphics card is working with the driver.

Other than that, when you opened up your case how was it in there?

Was there a bunch of dust?

Cause computers can get awefully dusty, sometimes getting them cleaned out is a good idea but you have to use compressed air or heck I have even used a vacuum but people will probably freak out if they knew I literally took a shop vacuum and vacc my PC out for the dust haha.  Never use liquids EVER! 

And what happens in that case if the card is bad (hardware)? Bad graphics? Wouldn't the games start? 

Some dust but not a bat cave lol 

Not even a slightly wet rag? I don't think air can remove some types of grime  

And what happens in that case if the card is bad (hardware)? Bad graphics? Wouldn't the games start? 

Some dust but not a bat cave lol 

Not even a slightly wet rag? I don't think air can remove some types of grime  

No liquids at all!

Not even slightly wet rag.

There is a type of alcohol for the rag but I been busy having some of that tonight before bed which is getting soonish.

Anyway,

After you have done the Driver and the Card still gives a black screen, clean up the pc if its dusty with compressed air even a vacuum works.

After that this I wrote above,

Uninstall the video card....And then reinstall it....Often fixes this sort of issue because if you move a PC around sometimes a part like the video card can get knocked loose.

12 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

You know I have to go to bed soon haha, get on it, get your phone out connect to the forums.

Then power your pc into SAFE MODE, then uninstall the driver and install the new one, this takes very little time.

IF it turns out not to work well you may have to clean out the PC physically....Then test it after a decent cleaning with compressed air or vacuum...

After that, well honestly it could be a loose connection, meaning you have to open the case and be sure all the parts are fit snugly into the sockets, that takes a little more time depends on how big a machine we are talking about, maybe 10 minutes maybe more.

It's late here too, but this has me worried. Thanks for the help. I will see what happens. And if it is not solved I will return to see if you or someone else can continue helping me. Preferably during the day  lol 

15 hours ago, Sneaksmile said:

No, the driver is the same and ''nobody'' changes it. Since this problem started I always take a screenshot of the driver when installing it because in the Microsoft forum they told me that it could be windows update changing the driver, but so far that has not happened

How can I know more exactly if is a hardware problem? What tests must I do on it? It is barely 1 year and two months old, the card is really ''new'' 

if you have a avg cable (or you mother board acept hdmi)or have a video card integrated you can plug your monitor on the mother board and see if the problem persist or maybe try a new cable if you can. he turns on the problem is about image the computer have dificult to give image to the monitor soo who are the suspects?

4 hours ago, sad rabbit said:

if you have a avg cable (or you mother board acept hdmi)or have a video card integrated you can plug your monitor on the mother board and see if the problem persist or maybe try a new cable if you can. he turns on the problem is about image the computer have dificult to give image to the monitor soo who are the suspects?

I already did tests of that style also with several cables and in all the different video ports, even connecting the PC to the TV. I play with 3 monitors connected. If the image can be seen ... it appears on all 3 monitors, if the black screen appears ... it appears on all 3 monitors. 

15 hours ago, Gameplayer said:

EDIT,

If the PC looks dust free, well you dont need a cleaning....Still it might be a worth while exercise to check that all the parts are properly socketed.

Honestly this can actually cause the problem you have described earlier especially if the computer has been moved around, took a trip in a car....Etc Etc...

Nope, no one moves the PC, maybe it could take a little bump or moving a little bit at one time but I don't think that loosened the video card in any way. It is rigid in its place  

14 hours ago, Gameplayer said:

No liquids at all!

There is a type of alcohol for the rag but I been busy having some of that tonight before bed which is getting soonish.

Anyway,

After you have done the Driver and the Card still gives a black screen, clean up the pc if its dusty with compressed air even a vacuum works.

Uninstall the video card....And then reinstall it....Often fixes this sort of issue because if you move a PC around sometimes a part like the video card can get knocked loose.

Do you mean that kind of blue liquid with which the monitor is cleaned?  

14 hours ago, Gameplayer said:

No liquids at all!

Anyway,

Cannot install the driver in safe mode, it says there is an error with the operating system. Nor does it allow me to do an analysis with the antivirus in safe mode. The program starts but does not analyze any files and the remaining time always remains '' zero ''. Anyway I did the analysis in normal mode and there are no viruses  

EDIT,

I searched for the error and did the steps suggested here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb192

But the steps can't be done in safe mode, so I made them in normal mode. But it still won't let me install the driver in safe mode. Why??

EDIT,

In the midst of desperation I discovered something curious ... The PC always shows a black screen at startup if I turn it off and then on ... using the power button. Or if I restart it from windows, or if I restart it with the restart button (physical button) the first time ... BUT if I press both buttons at the same time ... when turning it off and then on, or after restarting from windows when I get a black screen ... It always shows image. WTF does that mean?? Motherboard problem? what the hell is happening??!  

Help!!    

44 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

In the midst of desperation I discovered something curious ... The PC always shows a black screen at startup if I turn it off and then on ... using the power button. Or if I restart it from windows, or if I restart it with the restart button (physical button) the first time ... BUT if I press both buttons at the same time ... when turning it off and then on, or after restarting from windows when I get a black screen ... It always shows image. WTF does that mean?? Motherboard problem? what the hell is happening??!  

Help!!    

Starting to think you are freaking out over nothing much.

When you turn on the monitor and then the computer....

It takes time for the monitor to receive signal, it can take IDK depends on the system and the monitor, tv set, or laptop even....Can take anywhere from a few seconds to in most cases a minute or two.  A lot of actual monitors stay black until the video card spools up and sends signal to the set.

Back in yea olden days when I was but a wee little lad and you were not even born yet, the computer would make these loud squaking sounds that reminded me of a dying injured animal being electrocuted on a fence without so much of the smell unless it was a cold winter day and the computer was dusty....This would go on for about 5 minutes before the monitor a small little screen would flicker to life an scrolls of arcane text would fly from bottom to top eventually it would be a black screen with nothing but

C:\  <----

It would be at that point my oldest brother would begin typing strange words into the prompt and suddenly a video game in black n white all text would appear.

My own Big Screen, says no signal till finally the splash logo for my Motherboard comes up, after that it does a little routine of giving me a Bios Version before finally at some point see the windows log in screen.

Its entirely normal for the initial start up to have a black screen for a while before some data flashes across the screen followed by windows.  Again some products display the MOBO splash.

IF that is the black screen your talking about well that is nothing to worry about.

As far as not being able to install a video driver in safe mode, beats the heck out of me I would have to look that up online.

I would start with a search,

Win10 how to install video driver in Safe Mode.

Win10 how to do virus scan in Safe Mode.

Those should give you some results pretty fast more than likely millions of people have had to search that stuff should give some excelent how to guides as well.

Edited by Gameplayer
9 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

It takes time for the monitor to receive signal, it can take IDK depends on the system and the monitor, tv set, or laptop even....Can take anywhere from a few seconds to in most cases a minute or two.  A lot of actual monitors stay black until the video card spools up and sends signal to the set.

My own Big Screen, says no signal till finally the splash logo for my Motherboard comes up, after that it does a little routine of giving me a Bios Version before finally at some point see the windows log in screen.

Its entirely normal for the initial start up to have a black screen for a while before some data flashes across the screen followed by windows.  Again some products display the MOBO splash.

IF that is the black screen your talking about well that is nothing to worry about.

As far as not being able to install a video driver in safe mode, beats the heck out of me I would have to look that up online.

Those should give you some results pretty fast more than likely millions of people have had to search that stuff should give some excelent how to guides as well.

Nope, is not that. I am talking about a black screen that can remain like that for more than an hour. I even left it for 3 hours like that once to see if the damn windows logo appeared and it never appeared. While everything else seems to work perfect. As I said in the initial post  

I'll look for that but I think I give up. I think I'm going to throw the damn thing out the window. It has no solution, and much less does that shitty problem have any logic, that's the worst part. 

13 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

Back in yea olden days when I was but a wee little lad and you were not even born yet, the computer would make these loud squaking sounds that reminded me of a dying injured animal being electrocuted on a fence without so much of the smell unless it was a cold winter day and the computer was dusty....This would go on for about 5 minutes before the monitor a small little screen would flicker to life an scrolls of arcane text would fly from bottom to top eventually it would be a black screen with nothing but

C:\  <----

It would be at that point my oldest brother would begin typing strange words into the prompt and suddenly a video game in black n white all text would appear.

Isn't the physical buttons thing not fucking weird? Are you saying I exaggerate? Hell ... if that's not weird I don't know what's weird

Anyway thanks for the help but I think this is impossible to solve 

23 hours ago, Sneaksmile said:

Isn't the physical buttons thing not fucking weird? Are you saying I exaggerate? Hell ... if that's not weird I don't know what's weird

Anyway thanks for the help but I think this is impossible to solve 

Can you provide full specs of your PC? And if possible whether or not your windows installation is on an SSD or HDD?

I also want to clarify, if it was a legitimate hardware problem related to the GPU you would not even receive a picture. Same thing with the motherboard infact, with the motherboard I dont even think your PC would even start if it had a problem with it.

Black screen on startup is 100% normal. Black screen when in windows that randomly happens is usually an indication of a corrupted driver or worse the video card itself.

If you're going to uninstall and reinstall drivers I absolutely urge you to use a software called DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). What it will do is completely wipe the display driver and remove any remnants of what usually remains if you uninstall a gpu driver normally, it will also completely reset your display driver settings if you had any. It should also be noted it requires you to run DDU in Safe Mode. After you can reinstall the display driver normally (from the AMD website I assume).

Edited by Antrox
3 hours ago, Antrox said:

Can you provide full specs of your PC? And if possible whether or not your windows installation is on an SSD or HDD?

I also want to clarify, if it was a legitimate hardware problem related to the GPU you would not even receive a picture. Same thing with the motherboard infact, with the motherboard I dont even think your PC would even start if it had a problem with it.

Black screen on startup is 100% normal. Black screen when in windows that randomly happens is usually an indication of a corrupted driver or worse the video card itself.

If you're going to uninstall and reinstall drivers I absolutely urge you to use a software called DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). What it will do is completely wipe the display driver and remove any remnants of what usually remains if you uninstall a gpu driver normally, it will also completely reset your display driver settings if you had any. It should also be noted it requires you to run DDU in Safe Mode. After you can reinstall the display driver normally (from the AMD website I assume).

Windows is installed on a small 1 TB HDD. To keep the Operating System as clean as possible. Like I said above ... I lost all my content from my HDD old drive a while ago because it was too big (8 TB) and I stored everything there. When it went fucked up ... I couldn't save anything. I have two other HDD disks of 4 TB each one and a SSD disk but I only store games there. 

If it's not a motherboard problem. Why does the PC boot normally ( with image) only when I press both physical buttons at the same time? And it doesn't do it (black screen) when I just press one button ... like it's supposed to be the normal thing. 

'' Black screen on startup is 100% normal '' 

Yes, but only for a few seconds, by far, some minutes but not for hours. That's really the problem. And extremely annoying.

I do not have a black screen problem when the PC manages to show image, no black screen already being in windows, nothing like that, never. Everything is on the startup.

So I just have to use that program to uninstall the driver? Nothing to have to do with AMD programs or Apps? Or from the Control Panel or Device Manager? Because ... in the Microsoft forum they told me that I must first uninstall the driver from the Device Manager and then do everything else (uninstall with AMD software). 

Edited by Sneaksmile
6 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

Windows is installed on a small 1 GB HDD. To keep the Operating System as clean as possible. Like I said above ... I lost all my content from my HDD old drive a while ago because it was too big (8GB) and I stored everything there. When it went fucked up ... I couldn't save anything. I have two other HDD disks of 4GB each one and a SSD disk but I only store games there. 

If it's not a motherboard problem. Why does the PC boot normally (image) only when I press both physical buttons at the same time? And it doesn't do it (black screen) when I just press one button ... like it's supposed to be the normal thing. 

'' Black screen on startup is 100% normal '' 

Yes, but only for a few seconds, by far, some minutes but not for hours. That's really the problem. And extremely annoying.

I do not have a black screen problem when the PC manages to show image, not already in windows, nothing like that, never. Everything is on the startup.

So I just have to use that program to uninstall the driver? Nothing to have to do with AMD programs? Or from the Control panel? 

If you're on a hard disk drive not everything is going to load quickly, it will take a long time for the system to boot/load startup programs. But i dont think the HDD is the issue even though you will be waiting a lot longer for the system to initiate boot to windows and then for windows to load completely, whereas with and SSD you can boot into windows within 10 seconds.

Also yes, all you need to do is run DDU. If after uninstalling an reinstalling video drivers it still continues the next step would be check your startup programs, because often times when there is a black screen on startup for a longer period of time it can also be an indication that a program is failing to start with the system and causing the startup to hang. A lot of other things can cause the system to hang on startup also, like a faulty external device, windows installing a driver for a new device, corrupted windows and etc.

Another thing you should do is disable fast startup press the Windows keys or click start->search "control panel"->System and Security->Power Options->on the left hand side click "Choose what the power buttons do"->Unlock the settings by clicking "Change settings that are currently unavailable" located above->Type in admin password if any, then below uncheck "Turn on fast startup". If this setting is already turned off then turn it on and see if it changes anything. If its turned on do the opposite.

14 minutes ago, Antrox said:

If you're on a hard disk drive not everything is going to load quickly, it will take a long time for the system to boot/load startup programs. But i dont think the HDD is the issue even though you will be waiting a lot longer for the system to initiate boot to windows and then for windows to load completely, whereas with and SSD you can boot into windows within 10 seconds.

Also yes, all you need to do is run DDU. If after uninstalling an reinstalling video drivers it still continues the next step would be check your startup programs, because often times when there is a black screen on startup for a longer period of time it can also be an indication that a program is failing to start with the system and causing the startup to hang. A lot of other things can cause the system to hang on startup also, like a faulty external device, windows installing a driver for a new device, corrupted windows and etc.

Another thing you should do is disable fast startup press the Windows keys or click start->search "control panel"->System and Security->Power Options->on the left hand side click "Choose what the power buttons do"->Unlock the settings by clicking "Change settings that are currently unavailable" located above->Type in admin password if any, then below uncheck "Turn on fast startup". If this setting is already turned off then turn it on and see if it changes anything. If its turned on do the opposite.

I never cared that Windows took 6 minutes or a little longer to start. I mean to already being in windows, not for the monitor to show any first image. But the thing is ... if I don't see anything at startup and it stays that way indefinitely ... that's obviously not normal at all. 

I will try the program and also what you mention at for the startup. Thanks for those options. I'll see what happens. 

Edited by Sneaksmile

I never cared that Windows took 6 minutes or a little longer to start. I mean to already being in windows, not for the monitor to show any first image. But the thing is ... if I don't see anything at startup and it stays that way indefinitely ... that's obviously not normal at all. 

I will try the program and also what you mention at for the startup. Thanks for those options. I'll see what happens. 

Should also try this might help too:

1. Right-click the Windows button > Select Run
2. Type in "msconfig" without the quotes, then click OK.
3. On the General tab, select Selective Startup. Then untick "Load startup items".
4. On the Services tab, click "Hide all Microsoft services".
5. Click "Disable all".
6. On the Startup tab, click "Open Task Manager". A Task Manager window should open.
7. Disable all startup items. You can also choose which startup items to disable, as certain devices might now work properly if the startup item related to it is disabled.
8. Go back to your System Configuration window.
9. Click Apply > OK
10. Click "Restart" when prompted.

23 minutes ago, Antrox said:

'' If after uninstalling an reinstalling video drivers it still continues the next step would be check your startup programs, because often times when there is a black screen on startup for a longer period of time it can also be an indication that a program is failing to start with the system and causing the startup to hang. A lot of other things can cause the system to hang on startup also, like a faulty external device, windows installing a driver for a new device, corrupted windows and etc. '' 

I have really nothing activated in the startup programs, everything is disabled except 'Cortana' and Defender Antivirus. Do you mean Task Manager?  

Do you think that re-installing windows from scratch will end this damn curse?