Video Card Driver - Problem

Hello!

Well ... I really don't know what happens, on but for a while now, my video card driver is causing problems on my PC.

The problem is black screen but only when starting the PC.

It is not a monitor problem, the monitor is perfect. Also ... the PC actually and always enters windows but the monitor shows no image. And I check it good since the Wi-Fi receiver turns on normally and the keyboard turns on, the mouse turns on, and the USB receiver for the Xbox One controller also turns on. Also if I press keys in the keyboard or if I move the mouse ... when restarting the PC (physically) the Desktop icons were moved.

I have already asked in the Microsoft forum and in the AMD forum but they all come to the conclusion that it is a problem with the video driver, since the video card (hardware) is perfectly fine. Also, when I install a new video driver, the PC usually works perfectly for several days ... but then it show black screen problems at startup again. 

What I want to know is if anyone else has or had this specific problem. And also if there is a better video card driver than the one from AMD (or more stable). Because the AMD driver and AMD software ... they always seemed to me to be very invasive and with too many silly options (software) that I don't even use, never. The only options that I use from the AMD driver software ... are (VSR) '' Virtual Super Resolution ''. And '' Radeon Boost '' but only for 3 games ... So I wouldn't mind stop using 'Radeon Boost' if that damn problem of black screen goes away.

Then ... Any advice? You know any video driver and better interface in the software than the one from AMD? to help me solve that ... I will appreciate it a LOT.  

Edited by Sneaksmile
  • Sneaksmile changed the title to Video Card Driver - Problem

I see a similar problem = random black screen when windows start...

If you can see the start of the computer and the bios and see how windows start... but when windows must show the desktop or the user select screen you have a black screen you can have a possible incompatibility with the version of the video driver and the driver of the integrated video card inside the CPU.  If your CPU not have integrated video card ignore me.

Try reinstall or upgrade the motherboard drivers including the drivers of the integrated video card.

Nope you will not find a better video card driver from anyone that is not your cards manufacturer and anyone trying to tell you otherwise has some nice bloatware for you.

However,

Sure I have had all sorts of problems I have personally caused myself on PC's over the years and likely got a lot of help from bloatware and every kind of ware along the way.

About 5 or 6 years ago this forced bloatware called win10 installed itself on my PC, caused massive performance drops, Skyrim and SkyrimSE played like ass and all my other games went to dogshit.  Top that off with well documented instances of the bloatware called an interface causing performance drops on specific set-ups to this day.

Had to reinstall win7, lost all my data on my primary drive...Spent months recovering from that did not remember to install some vital stuff like MOBO drivers and lived with errors for several years until the plandemic hit, finally fixed up my PC real good after installing all my board and hardware drivers rather than using "windows compatibility drivers" which suck.

Moral of the Story,

Check your Device Manager,

image.png

Any of those that have a Yellow Yield sign next to them, need an Update Driver!

You can also simply update your Graphics Drivers from your manufacturer and should keep them up to date at least when you purchase a new game be sure to check for a new driver usually you will have to download and install one which helps prevent issues like black screen, freezes, and CTDs.

What solved my problem, reinstall all my drivers for all my hardware, yup motherboard, raid controllers, bus, everything....Stop using Windows compatibility drivers they are terrible.

Edited by Gameplayer
1 hour ago, sad rabbit said:

can you check if your antivirus or something else delete the changes you do? or even delete the new drive hinself? i see this problem 2 times one was the antivirus other was hardware unfortunately :( sorr if i could not help

No, the driver is the same and ''nobody'' changes it. Since this problem started I always take a screenshot of the driver when installing it because in the Microsoft forum they told me that it could be windows update changing the driver, but so far that has not happened

How can I know more exactly if is a hardware problem? What tests must I do on it? It is barely 1 year and two months old, the card is really ''new'' 

Edited by Sneaksmile
50 minutes ago, alex77r4 said:

I see a similar problem = random black screen when windows start...

If you can see the start of the computer and the bios and see how windows start... but when windows must show the desktop or the user select screen you have a black screen you can have a possible incompatibility with the version of the video driver and the driver of the integrated video card inside the CPU.  If your CPU not have integrated video card ignore me.

Try reinstall or upgrade the motherboard drivers including the drivers of the integrated video card.

Nope. It is not an integrated video card. 

All drivers except for the video card driver .. I install them with 'Driver Booster'. And it says that everything is updated. 

1 hour ago, sad rabbit said:

can you check if your antivirus or something else delete the changes you do? or even delete the new drive hinself? i see this problem 2 times one was the antivirus other was hardware unfortunately :( sorr if i could not help

When the PC shows image and I have to restart it from windows ... in the reboot it can enter windows (as i said above) but no image is seen. Until I restart the PC physically, then the image is already visible. Can that be a hardware problem? I mean ... that the image just ''doesn't come back'' when rebooting from windows ...even though only seconds before it was working totally perfect 

Edited by Sneaksmile
1 hour ago, Gameplayer said:

Nope you will not find a better video card driver from anyone that is not your cards manufacturer and anyone trying to tell you otherwise has some nice bloatware for you.

However,

Sure I have had all sorts of problems I have personally caused myself on PC's over the years and likely got a lot of help from bloatware and every kind of ware along the way.

About 5 or 6 years ago this forced bloatware called win10 installed itself on my PC, caused massive performance drops, Skyrim and SkyrimSE played like ass and all my other games went to dogshit.  Top that off with well documented instances of the bloatware called an interface causing performance drops on specific set-ups to this day.

Had to reinstall win7, lost all my data on my primary drive...Spent months recovering from that did not remember to install some vital stuff like MOBO drivers and lived with errors for several years until the plandemic hit, finally fixed up my PC real good after installing all my board and hardware drivers rather than using "windows compatibility drivers" which suck.

Moral of the Story,

image.png

You can also simply update your Graphics Drivers from your manufacturer and should keep them up to date at least when you purchase a new game be sure to check for a new driver usually you will have to download and install one which helps prevent issues like black screen, freezes, and CTDs.

What solved my problem, reinstall all my drivers for all my hardware, yup motherboard, raid controllers, bus, everything....Stop using Windows compatibility drivers they are terrible.

In the 'Device Manager' I do not have any yellow sign, or anything that says that it needs an update. 

I was doing that, keeping the functional driver as much as I could, but the black screen problems became more frequent and there are no new drivers, right now I'm on the last one and it is a beta version. The previous one lasted a month without black screens but now every fucking time I start the PC a damn fucking black screen always appears and there are no new drivers to renew the one I have now. 

'' What solved my problem, reinstall all my drivers for all my hardware, yup motherboard, raid controllers, bus, everything....Stop using Windows compatibility drivers they are terrible '' ... I don't let windows update ''the job'' to update the drivers, well, rather I install them with Driver Booster. I mean ... that overwrites the shit that windows update does. That's good or not? 

For example .. I manually searched for the driver for my motherboard but it says I have the latest version installed. What else can I do? I mean in that sense. Because I have been using 'Driver Booster' for 3 years now and I can only say that it is excellent and my computer was super stable in every way since I started using it, no blue screen, no kernel issues, games and 3D programs with great performance, etc. But always ... whenever everything seems perfect ... a ridiculous fucking problem appears that isn't even logical .. goshhh ... 

Before I installed the drivers the way you suggested but I only got an explosive ''cocktail'' of blue screens and lots of Kernel problems.  

Edited by Sneaksmile
1 hour ago, Gameplayer said:

However,

Moral of the Story,

image.png

So you are currently using windows 7 to play the latest games?? And do they work well?

What is it that new games necessarily need windows 10 or windows 11? A fallacy? A lie? 

Checklist,

All drivers appear to be current,

Windows is up to date, no updates waiting to install,

Checked for Viruses,

At this point, I would download manually the Video Driver that last worked best before the weird black screen issues....

What if you dont remember which one?

Well fine download a current driver for your card that is not a BETA driver.

Put that on the Desktop, we want it somewhere we can get to it easily,

Now from here if it were me, I would restart the Windows in Safe mode,

Then when the windows loads up its going to be in a real small screen or rather all the icons are going to be too huge.

Its ok we are in a safe mode version,

Then activate your Driver you put on the desktop, it should have some options such as fully uninstall of the last driver and then there will be some options maybe for sounds, VR, and of course the primary graphics driver.

What should happen if it works correctly is that the Drivers related to Video will be fully removed and then the new driver fully installed,  This should work out fine and stop this issue.

You will then have to restart your computer but this time we want to start up in regular windows.

You might have to type, "msconfig"

image.png

That opens this,

image.png

Windows 10 has not changed that much from Windows 7, but if you want you can double check with a search engine.

See the check box?  SAFE BOOT....Gotta check that so next time you restart it goes to the safemode....After you are done in SAFE Mode, you gotta remember to use "Msconfig" again and uncheck "Safe Boot" if you forget well it will keep booting into Safe Mode, easy enough to fix that but just remember its "msconfig" in the windows search bar.

IF that does not work, next attempt you want to get a copy of DDU, its a third party app for completely removing drivers related to video drivers, I've used it at least once or twice when faced with a similar issue but its not always needed.

EDIT,

While in SAFE MODE, may as well run a virus checker again, sometimes these find stuff easier in Safe Mode.

Edited by Gameplayer

Driver Booster?

Uh before you log out to safe mode care to share some pictures of your TaskManager with us?

CTRL+ALT+DEL

options, TaskManager

Mine looks like this,

Untitled.png

I want to look it over an see what kind of blootware you get floating around eating up your memory if you have any, could be you have stuff running that really needs to be shut down, deleted and removed entirely.  Could potentially be a solution.

16 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

So you are currently using windows 7 to play the latest games?? And do they work well?

What is it that new games necessarily need windows 10 or windows 11? A fallacy? A lie? 

Not a damn one of the games is even using DirectX12, so basically you can find people applying patches to popular new games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Elden Ring yup.

Now I might not play all your favorite games but sure if its popular and has to have win10 chances are someone has already patched it, if it attracts a crowd of techy people like from around LL or Nexus.

Also DirectX 11 was backported to GTX 1000 series, so basically its actually possible to play a bunch of games with Win7 as long as someone provides a patch for the EXE or if you know how yourself you just use an EXE editor.

Edited by Gameplayer

Cyberpunk 2077 had a win7 patch withen 2 days of going live, so yes there are people with computer coding skills that play the games and dont want to use win10, mostly probably because their equipment does not run optimal with win10.

There are a whole chunk of games that just claim to work only with win10 but they will work with win7 without doing a damn thing to them.  It was a complete scam really force the gamers to make the change and you get more people moving over to your market.

20 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

Checklist,

Checked for Viruses,

At this point, I would download manually the Video Driver that last worked best before the weird black screen issues....

Then when the windows loads up its going to be in a real small screen or rather all the icons are going to be too huge.

Then activate your Driver you put on the desktop, it should have some options such as fully uninstall of the last driver and then there will be some options maybe for sounds, VR, and of course the primary graphics driver.

What should happen if it works correctly is that the Drivers related to Video will be fully removed and then the new driver fully installed,  This should work out fine and stop this issue.

You will then have to restart your computer but this time we want to start up in regular windows.

image.png

That opens this,

image.png

Windows 10 has not changed that much from Windows 7, but if you want you can double check with a search engine.

See the check box?  SAFE BOOT....Gotta check that so next time you restart it goes to the safemode....After you are done in SAFE Mode, you gotta remember to use "Msconfig" again and uncheck "Safe Boot" if you forget well it will keep booting into Safe Mode, easy enough to fix that but just remember its "msconfig" in the windows search bar.

IF that does not work, next attempt you want to get a copy of DDU, its a third party app for completely removing drivers related to video drivers, I've used it at least once or twice when faced with a similar issue but its not always needed.

EDIT,

While in SAFE MODE, may as well run a virus checker again, sometimes these find stuff easier in Safe Mode.

Then I have to go back to the driver which lasted a month without black screens. But ... in the end that also had black screens. That is not bad or will it be cyclical? 

I am not an expert girl in this. If I didn't understand please correct me. What you tell me is that I should do the whole process of uninstalling and installing the driver only in safe mode. And then make windows only always start in safe mode? 

Edited by Sneaksmile
2 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

Then I have to go back to the driver which lasted a month without black screens. But ... in the end that also had black screens. That is not bad or will it be cyclical? 

I am not an expert girl in this. If I didn't understand please correct me. What you tell me is that I should do the whole process of uninstalling and installing the driver only from the safe mode. And then make windows only always start from safe mode? 

Too be honest it sounds like you may have to completely wipe the video drivers, first attempt should be done with the normal vendor provided software in "Safe Mode"

It wont hurt to also evaluate what kinds of programs you have running on your machine that could interfere with your computers tasks, so a snapshot of taskmanager processes would go a long way to getting an idea if there are programs running all the time that should not be there.

Ideally a real gamers taskmanager is pretty darn barren of much of any software, its squeeky clean.

23 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

Checklist,

Checked for Viruses,

image.png

That opens this,

image.png

EDIT,

'' IF that does not work, next attempt you want to get a copy of DDU, its a third party app for completely removing drivers related to video drivers, I've used it at least once or twice when faced with a similar issue but its not always needed '' 

I use this, to uninstall the driver. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

Is it like the program you mention? 

That takes me to safe mode but I never install the driver in safe mode. Do you think that will make a difference and end that annoying problem? 

8 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

'' IF that does not work, next attempt you want to get a copy of DDU, its a third party app for completely removing drivers related to video drivers, I've used it at least once or twice when faced with a similar issue but its not always needed '' 

I use this, to uninstall the driver. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

Is it like the program you mention? 

That takes me to safe mode but I never install the driver in safe mode. Do you think that will make a difference and end that annoying problem? 

That sounds great since its from your manufacturer, you should try it out.

If it does not work while in normal mode for windows, well you can still try out in safe mode most likely.

Did you download a copy of your Video Driver yet?

These also come with a way to uninstall previous drivers, although sometimes they dont always do a good job especially if your not in safe mode when you do the installation.

8 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

If you have a bunch of bloatware we can start attempting to remove that stuff as well over in 

Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs, <best place to start really just be careful not to remove stuff that is crucial.

30 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

Driver Booster?

Uh before you log out to safe mode care to share some pictures of your TaskManager with us?

CTRL+ALT+DEL

options, TaskManager

Mine looks like this,

Untitled.png

I want to look it over an see what kind of blootware you get floating around eating up your memory if you have any, could be you have stuff running that really needs to be shut down, deleted and removed entirely.  Could potentially be a solution.

That looks very different on my PC, it's just a long ''strip'' with some names and numbers in front of it. Wait a minute  

Yes I think its quite likely that if you uninstall the drivers completely and reinstall fresh it will solve the problem.

And yes if it wont work in normal mode, safe mode is the next go too place to make the attempt always has been for decades now.

After that, its using a third party app and then making the third attempt to install the driver.

IF all of that fails, we have to start diagnosing other potential issues with the system as it could be an issue that we need to use EVENT VIEWER to start identifying.

However, I think its just easier before that to have a look at all the potential bloatware that may be on system as well and remove every bit of it that we can identify as being a problem if there is any on the system.

Also while in Safe Mode if you have an anti-virus program that is the best time to run a full checkup.

5 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

Your task manager is made to look prettier than it did back in win7 but its functionally the same thing with most of the same options and graphs/charts.

In mine there is this. It looks similar to your screenshot. Is that what you need to see?

Spoiler

1.PNG.8fe26992b8cc9847e7515865af0c792e.PNG

2.PNG.f7f1b714a5568809d8887ec48b7401aa.PNG

3.PNG.8831ce585041135bf60ba1cae486c1af.PNG

4.PNG.59f72ef642ad01783bc3d8d4bd530460.PNG

5.PNG.349c21b499b51491015f33fa732b1336.PNG

6.PNG.e897600ed7873e3a902de252b4ea8b0c.PNG

7.PNG.01598498c3f1f3191cb95004221b54c7.PNG

12 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

Your task manager is made to look prettier than it did back in win7 but its functionally the same thing with most of the same options and graphs/charts.

Nope, windows 7 seems prettier to me, especially because of the transparent menus. Windows 10 transparent colors are horrible, they are almost solid

2 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

In mine there is this. It looks similar to your screenshot. Is that what you need to see?

Reveal hidden contents

Oh Jesus you have a lot of memory going out the window...

><

Ok so with Chrome right that is actually normal.

The crap part of sorting through the task manager is searching every listed item,

image.png

I'm thinking a lot of those might actually be Chrome related "EXTENSIONS"

Found, when you hit those 3 little dots over in the upper right corner, select more tools, extensions

Those can really clutter up your memory whenever the browser for Chrome is open.

However that is really fast to figure out too, because all you have to actually do is just completely shut down Browsers when you want to get an idea of what is going on in processes.

Here is an example of all of my Chrome Extensions by comparison,

image.png

AdBlock, because not getting viruses on a browser is really nice.

Google Docs well its for playing RPG's over Discord with other people using VChat. keep track of char sheets.

But that is it, put a lot of stuff there if its not important toss it out! cause its bloat.

When you shut down Browser, get a peek and take some snaps, so you know what stuff you gotta check to see if its a critical function for win10.

Its kinda of slow process and ya it bites but when you get the hang of it you will run real lite and have a better running computer because you will recognize by sight if a process in your Taskbar should not be there, its great for catching stuff before it becomes an issue.

52 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

Driver Booster?

CTRL+ALT+DEL

options, TaskManager

Mine looks like this,

Untitled.png

My OS hard drive is really clean, most of the content is game recordings. Something similar to what happened to you happened to me ... I lost all the contents of my previous hard drive because I put everything there, everytihng, absolutely everything. That taught me the lesson that I should have multiple hard drives and leave the operating system hard drive ''empty''. That's why I would have no problem reinstalling windows from scratch if that fixes this damn problem. I don't have anything important on that drive (C), but the thing is ... I don't know if that will fix the problem when everything indicates that it is the driver, and then it will happen again anyway even with windows totally clean ... I think so