Redneck Trailer Park conversion from Hook 4 to Hook 5

RTP.png

Back before Hook 5, a popular room was User NTH's "Trailer Park", made entirely of Hook 4 objects.

Using my "H4 to H5 LevDef Converter" and the "H4M to H5M Object Converter" app (and LOTS of hand tweaking), I was able to convert this classic room into a decent "Hook 5 Unlocked" compatible version.

This is a retexture of the stock "Outdoors" room. Day & Night versions included.

Day:
RTP-Day.jpg

Night:

RTP-Night.jpg

Interior:

RTP-Interior.jpg

Download from Mega (112MB)

(Requires Hook 5 Paid/Unlocked. Decently fast PC recommended due to overhead.)

Edited by OysterMug

This is ok, but maybe you did not know the user NTH posted a H5 conversion for this room back in 2015. Which probably handled the lighting and level better than your tool.  Just saying....

Also you may want to adjust the exposure levels for your night level as it still looks too bright for a night shot. Just some constructive criticism for you.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_12.jpg

I never saw an H5 version posted (or didn't bother b/c H5-Free never supported Hook objects) but no one ever reposted it.

Lighting will vary based on each user's "Main11.fx" settings. (Also consider "nighttime exposure" is less dark with a campfire.)

Edited by OysterMug

A while back I made an H5 version of the trailer park for myself and didn't release it. The adjustment of the lights was the smallest problem....

A better version of the night view is possible without changing the main.fx. The main.fx version used here is also used unchanged in other rooms for day views...

And by the way - the very good textures are originally from Rumble87 (thanks rumble87 if you're reading this ;o) without wanting to detract from NattheHat's credit...

@ Oyster - try to play with the envmaps - I posted some HERE (755 mb)

NattheHat_Trailer_01.jpg

NattheHat_Trailer_02.jpg

NattheHat_Trailer_03.jpg

3 hours ago, magnum4470 said:

If you use include in the levdef, you don't need to have one room for day and other for night.

How would you have both versions available at the same time using that method?

Edited by OysterMug

I must admit RidSol that I'm not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to taking advantage of all of H5U's special features.

It seems a few people redid this room for H5 yet never shared/re-shared it after MG went down.

Note: The biggest problem with envmaps is that they override just about all color/lighting settings. :(

Edited by OysterMug
7 hours ago, OysterMug said:

How would you have both versions available at the same time using that method?

By having a version for the day and one for the night. Customize a _lefdev for the day and one for the night and put them in a separate folder with customized textures (if needed). Keido did a great and very vivid job with this room R_Doom

Download the room and look in the _levDef - it consists only of includes which you can quickly change from false to true in the H5 GUI....

6 hours ago, OysterMug said:

Note: The biggest problem with envmaps is that they override just about all color/lighting settings.

The envmaps do not override light settings. As far as I understand, they are the basic lighting for every H5 room - only then should spot and omni lighting be created and adjusted...

Trailer (1).png

Trailer (2).png

Trailer (3).png

Edited by RidSol
18 hours ago, RidSol said:

By having a version for the day and one for the night. Customize a _lefdev for the day and one for the night and put them in a separate folder with customized textures (if needed). Keido did a great and very vivid job with this room R_Doom

Download the room and look in the _levDef - it consists only of includes which you can quickly change from false to true in the H5 GUI....

The envmaps do not override light settings. As far as I understand, they are the basic lighting for every H5 room - only then should spot and omni lighting be created and adjusted...

Hmm. I must be misunderstanding. If the LevDefs are in separate folders, you must have textures in there as well or else the alternative room will not appear in the room list.

If it is possible to load a different LevDef from the H5 menu after the room has loaded, you wouldn't need a second folder (unless you can't rename it.) Or if there's a way to change which "#include" is used via a hotkey, that would be nice, but I don't think such a feature exists.

If you're requiring the user to manually rename/swap LevDefs in order to switch between Day/Night, they can already do that now. ;)

Personally, I only keep my Night version installed.

Re: envmaps, when I used them, I found most of my lighting settings were overridden. I found the only way to control lighting was to omit any envmap.

Edited by OysterMug

Hi, You can simply use the _level_definition.txt file and modify it like so:

[include]
_daytime.txt = false
_nighttime.txt = true

The _daytime.txt and _nighttime.txt can have different names, of course, but you will have to copy the contents of your _level_definiton.txt into these files beforehand. The hook5 in game menu will show these entries in the includes section. When you adjust the settings in the environment section, the changes will be saved in the _daytime.txt or _nighttime.txt, respectively, depending on which is active. You can even use different envmaps in the Environmental lighting section.

My advice is to first leave the Environmental lighting at auto because then the envmap is created at runtime by hook5 and reflects the actual room or scene.

I load an envmap as skybox background to have more control over lighting. If you use an envmap (cubemap) for the Environmental lighting, you can drastically change the appearance of the scene, but it might not feel natural depending on the cubemap used. Some cubemaps, however, have a very strong effect on lighting, so changing values don't seem to show any effect. Scale, curve, saturation and HDRFuncVars can be used to further customize the envmaps lighting effect on the scene.

The strongest impact on lighting have: ambient intensity, exposure and the Environmental lighting parameters. I use the skybox parameters to change the appearance of the skybox to be either night or day. In this way, I don't have to find a separate cubemap for each daytime I want to create.

Take a look at the Simple Apartment or the City Apartment that I uploaded as an example. Under the Include section, you can quickly change between day and nighttime and different light setups.

So no extra folders and no extra envmaps.

I hope that makes sense.

11 hours ago, Titanoboa Serpentes said:

Hi, You can simply use the _level_definition.txt file and modify it like so:

[include]
_daytime.txt = false
_nighttime.txt = true

Yeah. The only problem there is now you are asking/expecting users to (know how to) edit the LevDef file. Most of us do, but there are always Newbies who have no business editing files on their own.

People comfortable with editing LevDef files, don't need "includes." They can simply swap copies. ;)

Hi OysterMug. I share your opinion about beginners having not the information at hand on how to switch the files. What I meant is the _level_definition.txt file only serves as a list that contains several level configurations and other things like lights and so on, nothing else. The _level_definition.txt is copied and renamed to a.txt, b.txt, c.txt etc. (a, b, c can have any name) and can be switched off or on in game via the Hook5 menu, on the condition that hook5 paid is used. Here's a video:

Screenshot.png

Edited by Titanoboa Serpentes

Okay, it turns out to be fairly simple.

For anyone who doesn't want two copies of the same room unnecessarily taking up space on their hard drive, you can easily switch between Night & Day using this method:

1) Rename the "_level_definition.txt" files for the "Day" & "Night" versions to something like "1_RTP_Day.txt" & "2_RTP_Night.txt".

2) Copy both to the same folder.

3) Create a new "_level_definition.txt" file in one of the folders that simply contains:

[include]
1_RTP_Day.txt    = true
2_RTP_Night.txt    = false

(Set your preferred default to "true" and the other to "false".)

...save it to one of the room folders. Delete the other.

Now, when you load the room, just hit the F4 key to bring up the Hook Menu and click on "Level select:". a sub-menu appears with "INCLUDES" (as seen above) as the first drop down. Expand the sub-menu and simply select the version you want. The room will reload with the new LevDef. Close the menu by hitting F4 again.

Thx for the heads up Titanoboa.

Edited by OysterMug

Since it has now become clear that working with includes is not the same as exchanging _lefdev files, there is now more to discover. Includes are a big part of rooms I've already posted here -

R-Doom by Keido

The Vault by Number 6

A really great example was made by hootie with these scenes -

Spoiler

1697980190_TheKlub17-0004.jpg.f6566fe99f133ccf662d6675ee335f04.jpg1205553078_TheKlub17-0014.jpg.3671723b4233ef604b518ac14fe53fe8.jpg708966507_TheKlub17-0010.jpg.4c5ccbdf5eb4e37ba23d5c91558716f2.jpg678094704_TheKlub17-0009.jpg.893305921168556351a99a4ac4ba66d2.jpg1949004232_TheKlub17-0008.jpg.78dbef9f3fbffedf3564ac728382e9a6.jpg76536610_TheKlub17-0007.jpg.9302b4b81fa5b35d27ba4f8b76c6a7e4.jpg442422526_TheKlub17-0006.jpg.56b210d96d29a2612f2970f0ff532240.jpg1634345541_TheKlub17-0005.jpg.52de304123d4db86a7fec36bca3c7009.jpg

Here are the original files from hootie with an explanation of the scenes he posted on MG - MEGA