Skyrim with No mods?

I played through the entirety of Skyrim (close to 100% completion) without using a single mod -- aside from one that revealed the locations of the last two Stones of Barenziah I was missing.  Only after totally finishing the game did I begin seriously experimenting with mods.

Whenever I get the DLC, I'll uninstall all my mods and play through that in vanilla format as well.  The reason?  To me, modding feels sort of like cheating -- sure, I'll play around with cheats once I'm done with a game, but I wouldn't use them while actually playing through a game for the first time.  The experience just doesn't feel as genuine to me if I'm playing the game drastically differently from the way its creators envisioned it.

Not only that, but I found vanilla Skyrim to be just fine for the most part.  It could have used more polish, and some of the menus and control choices are a little odd, but overall it's a fantastic game.  There's no reason it shouldn't be released to consoles.

Now that I'm done with the base game, I definitely play around with mods for my own enjoyment and to extend the life and replay value of the game for me.  Again, it's like using cheat codes -- they add tons of fun and replayability, but I wouldn't use them until after I've properly completed the game at least once.

I wouldn't go back to a vanilla skyrim, but I liked it as it was at my first playthroughs which were completely unmodded.

I only started modding the game because of the killable children mod, but yeah, now almost every possible aspect of the game is altered, and I'm almost happy with how it is.

What's the point of releasing the game on consoles? Uh same reason they released it on PC, hell same reason they made the game at all, to make money.

As for playing without mods, the game is fine and beautiful without mods. I poured 200 hours into the game without mods and it was fine. If you played with mods from the get go, you are doing yourself a disservice by not experiencing the game the way it was meant to be.

I know this is wishful thinking, but I wish they would come out with an Android app version of Skyrim, or Obivion, & I would care less about Mods.. :D

If they made Morrowind for 3DS I would cry like a little girl. I know it is impossible though.

I feel bad because I encouraged my sister to buy Skyrim for PS3.  Now she watches me use my shiny mods and she can't.

I know how you feel, my friend had a xbox 360 and he wanted to play Skyrim. I encouraged him to play it on xBox. Needless to say, he loved it. Then he saw me playing my modded Skyrim. He took one look at it and then looked at me and was like, I wanna steal your computer...

Well, to make it up to him, I upgraded his PC so he could play modded Skyrim too. Well, he's been playing it a lot and loves it more than the xbox one. But he does go back sometimes just to immerse himself back in a fully vanilla Skyrim.

My first play-through was mod free. Then I stopped playing for about 3 months, till enough mods came out for me not to feel like I was wasting time lol. I don't mind the vanilla game it's just way more fun to break the game with mods and try to fix it till its stable enough to play. Then break it again... I love modding.

^

Uh, have you read the first post on top of this thread?

Going back to topic, like most people I finished the vanilla quest with no mods, before I began experimenting with almost everything to improve gameplay or add eyecandy.

I modded skyrim the day I got it. I started up the game without any mods first so that the extra files could be created and such. I probably played a good 15 minutes and then installed some cosmetic mods right away. I could never enjoy a vanilla skyrim as much as a heavily modded skyrim. A few people I know always say "I want to play the game the way the devs intended" and I'm like, they intended for the game to be modded and not held back with all the the limits they had to place on it so that it work for outdated hardware (consoles). But I'm 99% sure they just think modding is hard and requires a degree in rocket surgery.

I mainly like the mods that let me customize my character as much as possible. If I don't care about the character I make, I don't about what I'm doing in the game and therefore have less fun.

Well I played a bit with skyrim without mods but as soon as I could I installed mods

I will probably make ennemies by saying that but there are several points, that have always been part of bethesda games ever since arena

- Bethesda is good at making detailed backgrounds and all, but due to the very open nature of their games, they always seemed bland with just vanillia... As I said it's the nature of the game: You either make it big and the storytelling suffer a bit because of the freedom the game gives or you make it heavily scripted and small to get the best of the story.

Bethesda's games are well made and usually a great base for modders to build upon.

- And I don't feel bad for cheating or/and defacing a game for my entertainment if it's single player. Also there are great mods that just fit in or feel great... Look at pucemoose mods for the fallout series it just stand out above most quest mods because it is different but blends in the game.

So no I wouldn't go back to an unmoded game, in fact I always play modded when I can.

I can understand they make it for consoles... And somehow I'd love more editors would extend this behavior of console and pc versions of games. I honestly don't like buying around three to five console because there will be a game I'm waiting for on it. Problem is PC gamers waits for a bit of quality in the game they buy because they are not as blocked in a game catalog than console gamers.

That alone is a good argument for console:

Add to it that PC gamer wants to mod every games and also they want to be able to play with keyboard and mouse (and not some cheap controller scheme slapped on a pc keyboard) you got a begining of answer

I was actually quite pleased with the controls on PS3 and XBOX, I even considered playing with a pad on my PC.

Back on topic, when Skyrim was released I definitly enjoyed it as vanilla, of course now due to the improvement on graphics only, going back to unmodded seems impossible.

I would just wish there were more quest mods out there.

After two years  of modding can you imagine playing skyrim without mods? Is there anyone who plays skyrim without mods (on the PC ) ? What is even the point of releasing skyrim on consoles? Please discuss

i saw skyrim for 15min without mods during a debugging session... and i don't want to see that again, never.

so scary, to see that. :D

with all honesty, bestesda may be in for a rude awakening this console generation because of how bad their games are when they don't have mods, even worst so, when mods are impossible for the version you buy. happy to be on PC i couldn't imagine skyrim without all the epic armors and better gameplay.

Guest luthienanarion

I played through it on 360 before it was officially released, and I will *never* play the game unmodded again. The game is only good as a modding platform.

9tgz0o.png

Right off bat Bethesda games broken mess. Day one played for three hours, after that

stop playing until community start making good mods. Oblivion my first 360 game. After

watching youtube PC mods understand wasting my time.  Fun experience but deep down

wanted more.. Skyrim without 7/10. Skyrim with mods get 10/10.

- Bethesda is good at making detailed backgrounds and all, but due to the very open nature of their games, they always seemed bland with just vanillia... 

I almost agree, although I would argue the 'blandness' depends on what you want from the game and possibly your playstyle. I played Daggerfall for months in the release version you couldn't even complete due to storyline bugs, and I had a great time.

As for Skyrim, I played through it (and then some) unmodded, and then I started adding mods to change the experience. Any new content gets a vanilla runthrough as well, simply because I want to see it the way the designers intended before I change too much. I'd absolutely still play vanilla, although I have grown quite attached to Frostfall and SkyUI. I think the only Elder Scrolls game I wouldn't play unmodded is the one will never play again anyway, Morrowind, because good lord that was ugly and boring.  :D

Played thru vanilla skyrim via Xbox. Then built a computer after running into game near breaking bugs on console on each of my 10 plus playthroughs just to mod it on PC and havnt turned back.

I made my first mod to make the game a little more lore friendly and changed a few outfits on NPCs so they better fit their role and look more uniform. Then downloaded a ton of cosmetic mods to make them look sexy. Then a ton of patches to make the game work properly. Oh yea and Ebony katanas.

So yea no turning back!

Archived