Athstai

Yes. That is I won't continue this mod anymore. Skyrim just looks that much better and probably offers much more possiblities. I just don't want to go back to Oblivion anymore tbh and investing a lot work into a now old generation game is also not motivating.

So you will probably see my next mod on Skyrim, not too long after the CS is released - that is if Beth doesn't f*cks it up too much with its Steam integration - as written in another thread already, i'm not going to use or install steam for it.

As little teaser, I can provide the (admittedly not entirely new in the world) base story for the upcoming mod:

Our hapless heroine (and in later versions optional our unscrupulous hero) will investigate the disappearance of several citizen in skyrim and uncover a slave trader ring. In order to fetch the boss behind it, an undercover job will be necessary...

Not at all' date=' go ahead.

[/quote']

Thank you, Athstai!

However...

I attempted to make some minor edits to fix a couple of dialogue typos, and the mod wouldn't execute. Confused, I started with a clean version again - working fine - but opening it in the CS (through OBSE) and saving it, without changing anything, killed it again. I notice a few bits of code in each script (BeginCSE Block and so on) that I assume come from the CS Extender, which I don't use. Could that be a problem? I don't really see how these lines, commented out as they are, could be killing the mod when it's loaded in the construction set. But might there be code that requires CSE? How would I find it?

If that's not it, would anyone mind suggesting obvious things to check, before I resort to recreating the mod one chunk at a time, until it breaks?

I attempted to make some minor edits to fix a couple of dialogue typos' date=' and the mod wouldn't execute. Confused, I started with a clean version again - working fine - but opening it in the CS (through OBSE) and saving it, without changing anything, killed it again. I notice a few bits of code in each script (BeginCSE Block and so on) that I assume come from the CS Extender, which I don't use. Could that be a problem? I don't really see how these lines, commented out as they are, could be killing the mod when it's loaded in the construction set. But might there be code that requires CSE? How would I find it?

If that's not it, would anyone mind suggesting obvious things to check, before I resort to recreating the mod one chunk at a time, until it breaks?

[/quote']

I've had this problem too. The only way I've found of making changes to the mod without breaking it is to use tes4edit. That only works if you're not trying to change the scripting in any way. I always load the official editor with OBSE, so I know that's not the problem, but every time I try to change a script even slightly the whole thing blows up.

He use's CS extender, which I have just recently started using, I avoided it as long as I could. If you are not using that then editing his work will be difficult.

I have edited this mod with little or no trouble, for my self.. It is a Nice mod, I like the concept.

If you are not using that then editing his work will be difficult.

Thank you, galgat. Sure enough, after installing the extender, I'm able to edit the script without automatically breaking it. I'll clean up a few characters and some typos, first.

And yes, BunnyBunny, it sure would be nice to see some expansion, including paying the goblins a visit.

Not that I really should be spending the time on it, but does anyone have recommendations for a village mod that I could use as a base for the farmer's village, to play with some dialogue options following up from DarkLessons? A mod where the author permits further modification, of course!

I'm hoping to avoid creating buildings etc. from scratch! My idea is to replace any NPCs of the village mod with NPCs from DarkLessons, giving them appropriate dialogue based on the player's choices in DarkLessons. Eventually I'd like to add that goblin cave too.

Ah, thanks DogOnPorch, I'll look at that. It does come with a cave/lair, which would be useful.

In browsing TesNexus, I've also come across these four, which explicitly permit revision/recycling and sound potentially appropriate:

Runestone Village 2 (surrounded by goblins)

Lebinor (a bit large?)

Lilyvale Town

Gottshaw Village (location?)

Ah' date=' thanks DogOnPorch, I'll look at that. It does come with a cave/lair, which would be useful.

In browsing TesNexus, I've also come across these four, which explicitly permit revision/recycling and sound potentially appropriate:

Runestone Village 2 (surrounded by goblins)

Lebinor (a bit large?)

Lilyvale Town

Gottshaw Village (location?)

[/quote']

It's a great little quest all on its own.

With great appreciation to the dear, departed to Skyrim Athstai, I've made some minor changes to DarkLessons. These are just corrections of typos and cleaning up minor details. I'm not very experienced with Oblivion modding, but I don't believe I've broken anything.

The changes:

Assorted grammar fixes, I'm sure some remain.

Keltasa now only appears when she's neeeded, instead of hanging around silently at the front of the inn at the start.

Keltasa and Vertia now despawn correctly.

The problem with dialogue synchronization and positioning in Vertia's path of lesson 3 is fixed.

Still broken:

I think Ayana doesn't despawn correctly some of the time, probably because she winds up unconscious outside the inn. For now one can fix her using the console (click on her and "setunconscious 0"). I could use a kludge to get rid of her, but would like to find the problem and fix it subtly if possible.

Invisible changes:

I've also added two global variables, to keep track of which hostages have been killed and which choices the player has made, to hook into any future developments of this mod.

Caveats & requirements:

Same as the original mod. Needs PK Extender, LoversMB2. CrowningIsle is required to prevent a hovering spectral Groldo, but that's just cosmetic. Joburg (especially) and LandE (if you're not careful) can interfere, though they haven't broken the quest yet in my testing. The new NudeShy mod will also interfere with the animations (such as in Vertia's path of lesson 3), but that's also just cosmetic.

Dreams of the future:

I'm fiddling with Runestone Village at the moment as a possible base for moving the hostages. Fanesburrow looks very nice, but the author hasn't released it for public mutilation. Of course it would be nice to add lessons 4 & 5, but that's a much larger undertaking and I don't see having the time in the near future, even assuming I have the skills. I also stink at writing dialogue, whereas that's one of the huge strengths of the original mod.

edit: Oops, Keltasa still appears at quest start, I'll fix that in a moment, along with improving her despawning at the church.

Nice :) I would test it but I had to uninstall Oblivion to free up space (using SSD for gaming and those are still somewhat smallish).

BTW:

I've also added two global variables, to keep track of which hostages have been killed and which choices the player has made

You should be able to check for all important decisions with the GetStageDone function.

Happy New Year indeed, DogOnPorch.

You should be able to check for all important decisions with the GetStageDone function.

Oh, GetStageDone, I had totally overlooked that. Thanks! Although there are a couple of places where some hostages are killed without a unique stage (like walking out of the cave), but I can easily modify those and avoid the gobals entirely.

Thanks, again, for creating this, and for allowing us to work on it. It's educational!

I look forward to seeing your next creation in Skyrim.

I was going to mention to you, it might be better to use quest variable rather than global s.

There I think a little less Obtrusive to the game speed, and they can be shut off completely if you shut down the Quest that uses them, and say pick back up with another quest, never be afraid to engage multiple quest lines.

It does look like the globals are unnecessary clutter, thanks for the advice! The next small task then will be to make small revisions to ensure all choices and consequences are flagged, so accessible either by GetStageDone or by some more intuitive tally variable within the quest.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been slowly fiddling with this, and have two things here, if anyone is curious.

The first is essentially the same DarkLessons as above - the only change is that this version properly meshes with the second item. One point, I've determined that the reason Keltasa gives the "I have no greeting" message is that, Golden Saint not being flagged as a playable race (in my game at least), generic dialogue doesn't work (nor for Araya or Vertia). I've left this alone in DarkLessons, as perhaps people like the Golden Saint look, but for the second item, I've transformed those 3 NPCs to boring Imperials.

The second item, then, is the home village of the hostages, Runestone. This mod (DarkRunestone) is just some simple changes to the original, now free-for-any-use Runestone Mod by Antiscamp. I've removed one character to make room for Keltasa & Araya, and given the other two girls homes, AI, and some dialogue.

DarkRunestone will work fine by itself, without DarkLessons installed. If DarkLessons is active, however, the hostages (and Keltasa) will disappear from the village, and when DarkLessons completes they return, with appropriate dialogue changes throughout.

Being lazy and uncreative when it comes to dialogue, I have created very little variety so far, though reactions do change according to the player's choices in DarkLessons... Nor have I succeeded in capturing DarkLessons' very appealing trapped feeling or other delights. Since the surroundings of Runestone are goblin-infested, I've made all villagers essential for now. Perhaps respawning would be better?

Still to come, eventually: Lessons 4 & 5, and revisiting the goblins with Vertia.

So, the mods are attached. Either is useable by itself, but they are meant to work together. Requirements for DarkLessons are as before. DarkRunestone requires standard stuff: OBSE, Universal Silent Voice, and probably Shivering Isles, but nothing else. I don't think load order should matter much. The meshes/textures which make DarkRunestone so big are only needed if you don't have Apachii's Goddess Store (used for one hairstyle apparently). Have fun!

Archived