Sims 3 Drastically slows down and lags after a certain amount of playtime.

I am not an expert. Really.

But i had a similar problem before.

What you should to is first this.

Download this tool from MTS.

Sims 3 Dashboard tool

If you already have it, great. With this you can check if you have not compatible things, doubles or conflicts of any sort.

Also, if you happen to have installed a mod that is itself broken because of age, you should remove it. In fact, the best is to copy everything to a save location and remove everything you have in your mod folder and start testing.

Also, check this guide as you may need to clean and change things to speed up your Sims 3.

The Sims 3 | Performance & Bug Fix Guide 2021

If you already did that, great.

The leaves basically only either some broken CC or a mod that is totally outdated and conflicts or is corrupt.

Hope this helps.

p.s. keep in mind that this is a 32 bit application. So it will lag to a certain degree. I have a fairly new PC but it still lags on that too. Its not really bad, but its not as smooth as, let say, Sims 4.

With that in mind, it should run very fine for most of the time.

I use a script to clean at every start my folders in the documents.

Edited by wutpickel

Is it the same amount of time (roughly)?

Does it matter which save you're playing?

> From the post title I can assume the game runs fine, at a good speed, then after an unspecified amount of play time the problem begins?

If it indeed is running fine for awhile, then it would seem there is some kind of bottleneck occurring. Could be multiple pathing issues building up until the game memory is maxxed out and nothing can happen until there is room, but then the game just queues up another action (this is in the background - being done for every Sim in the game).

No one mentioned resetting the entire town. You can do this with NRaas. It takes a few minutes as it resets every Sim and every object in the game. Anything causing some kind of loop or other repeating action will be stopped along with everything else. Afterwards the game will have to begin setting things in motion (sending Sims to work/school/etc.) and things should calm down a bit.

If you're playing a World known for pathing issues you will need to keep an eye on stuck sims/sims that can't reach a destination until you can address that by using a better version of that world (if available) or make some changes yourself to lots in order to alleviate the problem(s).

This is just some basic information which may not apply to your situation, but given the limited amount of information offered, this is as far as I'm willing to go.

"What Should you do"?    If one decide to start using mods, then they need to know considerably more about their PC, their operating system, how games work in general, how mods can affect a game by changing the nature of specific file types, and on and on. This is advanced stuff, it takes advanced interest to make it all work.

On 10/11/2021 at 7:24 PM, landess said:

Is it the same amount of time (roughly)?

Does it matter which save you're playing?

> From the post title I can assume the game runs fine, at a good speed, then after an unspecified amount of play time the problem begins?

If it indeed is running fine for awhile, then it would seem there is some kind of bottleneck occurring. Could be multiple pathing issues building up until the game memory is maxxed out and nothing can happen until there is room, but then the game just queues up another action (this is in the background - being done for every Sim in the game).

No one mentioned resetting the entire town. You can do this with NRaas. It takes a few minutes as it resets every Sim and every object in the game. Anything causing some kind of loop or other repeating action will be stopped along with everything else. Afterwards the game will have to begin setting things in motion (sending Sims to work/school/etc.) and things should calm down a bit.

If you're playing a World known for pathing issues you will need to keep an eye on stuck sims/sims that can't reach a destination until you can address that by using a better version of that world (if available) or make some changes yourself to lots in order to alleviate the problem(s).

This is just some basic information which may not apply to your situation, but given the limited amount of information offered, this is as far as I'm willing to go.

"What Should you do"?    If one decide to start using mods, then they need to know considerably more about their PC, their operating system, how games work in general, how mods can affect a game by changing the nature of specific file types, and on and on. This is advanced stuff, it takes advanced interest to make it all work.

I'm not an expert when it comes to TS3, but this is an issue in TS4 as well and maxis is looking into it there. there's several mods for TS4 that aim to fix it too. so if it turns out it's not only you, it might be the so-called "simulation lag"

1 hour ago, BenjiThatFoxGuy said:

I'm not an expert when it comes to TS3, but this is an issue in TS4 as well and maxis is looking into it there. there's several mods for TS4 that aim to fix it too. so if it turns out it's not only you, it might be the so-called "simulation lag"

TS3 is completely different from TS4, simply by being 32 bit, not 4 bit. And any lag in TS3 takes much less to cause it, and there does come a point in time when your system may simply be unable to handle the load of the game mods and CC you installed, trying to process it at 32 bit rate.