Sharing a Sim

This seem banal but i really like to find out.

Sharing sims is not easy since it collides with the forum policy. I kind of struggled with it for a while.

Exporting a character seems very simple but there are some problem areas.

For one, sliders.

Sharing a character with others could be great but i dunno if sliders have restrictions to be uploaded with the to be shared sim. I checked and most seem to not have a disclaimer saying to not distribute them.

I exported my characters stripped of every CC i can think off. So they looks blunt but with their curves intact or alterations.

With Sims 4 i went along with everyone else and included CC's.

So it would be nice if someone can enlighten me in this regard.

In regard to sliders, these are really needed since otherwise it looks like a deformed sim.

I believe that in the export file there isn't a slider included but rather a file that tells the game how the character should look like. Not sure if i am correct in that though.

Thanks and cheers.

• 3 months later...

Hi, wutpickel!   I am also interested in this topic. I posted a sim without sliders and in a not very typical way, with installation through saving in the library   

And I tested it on another computer with a completely clean game without any mods at all. It turned out with no visible difference. There are screenshots. Can you try it for yourself?
I can't do this check now, my second computer is broken. I would be interested in sharing the Sims with you to check out their appearance. What do you say about it?

On 2/11/2022 at 11:02 PM, Dailycard said:

I will keep a eye on this topic.

why to eye? :) Take and test she. It worked out fine for me, but I doubt it. Removing everything is also elementary.
I am not going to continue. I think what can be done with the redundancy of a large package, it would be necessary to somehow  divide it...

24 minutes ago, sim333 said:

why to eye? :) Take and test she. It worked out fine for me, but I doubt it. Removing everything is also elementary.
I am not going to continue. I think what can be done with the redundancy of a large package, it would be necessary to somehow  divide it...

I am going to tester her but I found it easier to go with the .sim file and the option of the other person file because It allow the individual to have the best of either world with out having redundant file example the cupboard and the long boots.

Edited by Dailycard

Sharing sims is some sort of problematic I think. (Except those who come as a *.sim file what contain SNAP, SIMO and SIME files only.

Every more or less experienced player has his own CC in regard to clothes, sliders, skins, makeup, hairs a.s.o.

Installing a sim with CC can cause conflicts later on to the game and definitely blow up your game in regard to -may unwanted- CC.

I also like to test sims what have been uploaded.

Since I have most of the sliders , a set of skins and other CC as merged files installed, I do the following :

If a sim comes as sims3pack I change it into *.package. However, open the sim packages and look inside for SNAP, SIMO and SIME files.

Mark only those files and export them as *.sim with S3PE. Those new created *.sim files I copy into SavedSims folder. Start the game, go into CAS select this new sim, give him one of my  skins and hair.  Clothes -if not installed- will change into regular game clothes. Then save the sim and later delete the old dummy one.

For me the advantage is, the sliders are applied and the sim look good and I have not to play around modeling this sim. 

Edited by Clydie
On 2/13/2022 at 12:24 PM, Clydie said:

Start the game, go into CAS select this new sim, give him one of my  skins and hair. 

I don’t quite agree with you, without hair and skin, a sim will lose 50% of their appearance (conditionally). And in my opinion, the goal is to transfer the Sim as accurately and without loss as possible.  As for clothes, I agree, usually this is not need trash or duplicates of what is already there. This should be checked and removed as desired. But I sometimes find pretty good things with Sims that I can keep.

And in order not to take up extra space in the game, I try to save packages in separate folders and after a while I review them and can delete them if it is no longer needed.

3 hours ago, sim333 said:

without hair and skin, a sim will lose 50% of their appearance

True, and as far as the hair comes in a separate package I usually add it to my hair merged package if not already included there.

But with the skins.... no way. Have a set of about 15 selected fine skins incl. a default replacement in my skin merged file. That is enough and most times skins (hairs too) used  for sims come in a merged file or with a sims3pack. So I do not install them.

3 hours ago, sim333 said:

But I sometimes find pretty good things with Sims that I can keep

Me too, but only if those come in a separate package or is separated when convert sims3pack into package.

By the way, you went a good way with your nice Hanni Phoenix by providing a separate (unfortunately merged) package for the mod folder and for the Library but in addition the sim file. Thank you for that.

My problem here was, had installed some sims what come with all CC. Then may I used a skin or CC from them on another sim. Later, setting up a fresh new game, such sims (also the installed ones) are black or are not equipped with the CC anymore. Mean, in that case you always have to install such sims with their CC again once loading a older save. And that was the point where I lost the overview and had endless CAS sessions to correct those sims. So, I stopped to install sims what come with CC ?

Edited by Clydie
1 hour ago, Clydie said:

by providing a separate (unfortunately merged) package for the mod folder

I'm still working on it.)    This moment does not suit me either.

1 hour ago, Clydie said:

are black or are not equipped with the CC anymore

you can temporarily copy the skin and clothes from other citizens (using the master controller) , so as not to strain yourself with the fight against CAS.