Looking for script advice please

Please may I beg some advice?

I'm a newbie modder, and I'm adding a custom animation to my mod. I've run the animation side through FNIS for Modders and generated the folders and documents successfully. So I have my file structure ready and I've built my ESP with quest, alias, effect and spell etc.   I intend to deliver the animation by casting a spell.

And that's where my brain freezes.  I'm still learning to script and Fore's detailed document is kind of overwhelming me. The information is there, but I'm unable to see it.

I've two animations: call them Player and Victim (no spoilers yet!), and they're simple idles for Player and target NPC.

Currently my FNIS_List has them as

b a Player
b a Victim

And I'm looking at AnimEvent in scripting - but that's where I just need advice on the project.   How do I script the spell so the animation is fired?

Right now, as a learner, I simply want to fire the spell in game and see how the event plays out. It doesn't matter if the animation is a mess, I can worry about adding bells and whistles as I learn.

Might someone kindly drop me a hint on identifying the animations in the script, and calling them to the spell cast?  It's probably only 2 or 3 lines but I'm going around in circles...

Thank you!

12 minutes ago, Bluegunk said:

Right now, as a learner, I simply want to fire the spell in game and see how the event plays out. It doesn't matter if the animation is a mess, I can worry about adding bells and whistles as I learn.

Might someone kindly drop me a hint on identifying the animations in the script, and calling them to the spell cast?  It's probably only 2 or 3 lines but I'm going around in circles...

Thank you!

Had a discussion about something similar a few days back.  Info in here might help.

OK, well I am still stuck.  Seijin8's support was a massive help and I learnt a lot - but it still kind of skips over what I'm trying to learn.

The way I worked the mod is created a quest, an alias so I can give the player a spell. The spell is a lesser power. Fire the power and the animation should work.

The animation is in the mod and it has been set up by FNIS for Modders. So the folders and animations are there, the AnimList and all.

My scripts are compiled and the spell is given to the player, no problem.

It's calling the animation through the FNIS system - what I can't figure is adding the lines to the script to:

Identify the animation to the game

Get the game to play that animation on casting the power.

It's the actual words required in the script!  I've read so much around this yet the "this is how you do it" is completely fogged. Not even Fore mentions it because I suspect he knew what to do and assumed others would know it as a basic scripting move.

This is not an AnimObject - it's an idle kind of move. The player will perform a special idle animation on the power cast.

Thanks for any assist!

Prototype (from Game.psc):

Function SendAnimationEvent(ObjectReference arRef, string asEventName) native global

like:

Game.SendAnimationEvent(aActor, "animName")

P.S.:

you can test how anim works in console. Open console, select actor, type: sae animName

... sae is shortcut for SendAnimationEvent

... animName is the real animation name