How to create bodyslide files for an armor that has none

I recently got decent at converting bodyslide files from UNP to CBBE. I tried a similar process to give bodyslide files to an armor that had none.

1. I opened armorname_1.nif;

2. Opened reference body

3. Conform All

4. Copied necessary bone weight

5. Made sure the armor fit properly.

6. Save project as Armor Name CBBE. "To Project" button pressed.

7. Copied the necessary files into appropriate shapedata and shapeslider folders.

8. Zipped to be ready for install.

But when I installed it and built the armor in bodyslide, the ingame armor was compeltely unchanged. No physics from the bone weights, no CBBE body, etc.

Now when i do the above steps for UUNP bodyslide files it works (Although step 1 becomes "Load Project" instead of loading the outfit as a nif.)

I think step 1 must be where the issue is. But how do I actually make new bodyslide files for an armor that doesn't have any? I can't figure it out.

9 hours ago, Aki K said:

1. I opened armorname_1.nif;

2. Opened reference body

3. Conform All

4. Copied necessary bone weight

5. Made sure the armor fit properly.

6. Save project as Armor Name CBBE. "To Project" button pressed.

7. Copied the necessary files into appropriate shapedata and shapeslider folders.

8. Zipped to be ready for install.

6.1 Make sure the output path is correct: meshes / armor etc.
6.2 Make sure that the nif in the output path gets the correct name (without _1 or _0)

7. Do not do this. Outfitstudio (OS) does that for you. Therefore, as described correctly above, use "To Project" so that the OS creates the folders. The files in these folders are generated by OS - when the project is saved.

7 hours ago, Andy14 said:

6.1 Make sure the output path is correct: meshes / armor etc.
6.2 Make sure that the nif in the output path gets the correct name (without _1 or _0)

7. Do not do this. Outfitstudio (OS) does that for you. Therefore, as described correctly above, use "To Project" so that the OS creates the folders. The files in these folders are generated by OS - when the project is saved.

Regarding #7 I have to do that because:

I'm using mod organizer and file locations save in a different spot for me. It saves to "overwrite" rather than the actual mod files. Which means it will work in game (but only for me, and not when I want to upload the mod). The uploaded mod won't be my changes unless I duplicate the files and have them in a separate folder. I still make sure the pathing is the same as best I can (shapedata/slidersets folders inside bodyslide folder inside caliente tools inside the folder of the mod name.) I test rigorously though to make sure they work after this.

Usually this method works with conversions. I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't for brand new bodyslides.

can you clarify what you mean by 6.1

14 hours ago, Aki K said:

can you clarify what you mean by 6.1

I have no idea what files you are copying if they don't even exist at the time.

With point 6.1 I mean the output path.
If you want to replace armor with Bodyslide, the path and file name must be correct.

Example (just made up):
In data/meshes/armor/bandit/ you want to replace cuirass_0.nif and cuirass_1.nif.

Start the OS. Load reference. Import nif (cuirass_1 from the directory above).
Delete the armor's bodymesh (if any).
Reshape the armor so that it fits the reference body.
Copy bone weights and transfer the slider.
If necessary, correct bone weights and morphs.

When done. File -> Save as Project.
Enter a name for the project. click To Project. This means that the folders for Slidersets and Shapedata are also named like the project.
For name of the output file: cuirass
For output file path: meshes/armor/bandit

6 minutes ago, Lestat1627 said:

Where am I doing wrong?

Copy Bone Weight is not Transfer Selected Weights.
Transfer Selected Weights is 1 to 1 transfer of the skin per vertex, i.e. source and target meshes must be identical.
In case Transfer Slider led to this misunderstanding.

By Transfer Slider I mean Slider -> Conform All or Slider-> Conform Selected .

Sorry for misleading ;)

7 hours ago, Andy14 said:

I have no idea what files you are copying if they don't even exist at the time.

With point 6.1 I mean the output path.
If you want to replace armor with Bodyslide, the path and file name must be correct.

Example (just made up):
In data/meshes/armor/bandit/ you want to replace cuirass_0.nif and cuirass_1.nif.

Start the OS. Load reference. Import nif (cuirass_1 from the directory above).
Delete the armor's bodymesh (if any).
Reshape the armor so that it fits the reference body.
Copy bone weights and transfer the slider.
If necessary, correct bone weights and morphs.

When done. File -> Save as Project.
Enter a name for the project. click To Project. This means that the folders for Slidersets and Shapedata are also named like the project.
For name of the output file: cuirass
For output file path: meshes/armor/bandit

Okay yes, I am doing that. And as mentioned above it works when converting armors. Does not seem to work when the bodyslide files are brand new, which to me implies something else in my process is wrong.

6 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Copy Bone Weight is not Transfer Selected Weights.
Transfer Selected Weights is 1 to 1 transfer of the skin per vertex, i.e. source and target meshes must be identical.
In case Transfer Slider led to this misunderstanding.

By Transfer Slider I mean Slider -> Conform All or Slider-> Conform Selected .

Sorry for misleading ;)

I do the conform all. However some files have additional bone weight that, if deleted cause the armor to CTD (especially ones with smp physics for certain pieces etc.

However the bone weight thing is largely a non-issue. Whatever method i have been doing, it works as expected. The only issue is that waking making new bodyslide files instead of converting existing ones, the changes don't stick.

Edited by Aki K