New Game starts me in third person as Nate rather than looking into the mirror to get the usual customisation menu

35 minutes ago, evilhippo said:

This means I can't change gender of toon at start. Presumably a mod is casing this bug this but even after uninstalling anything that affects the camera I still have this problem. Anyone seen this & have a solution?

I have not seen or heard of this for FO4, but in Skyrim, this was caused by mods geared toward TPS and game sticks.    So, I am assuming you are on a PC, and operating from Steam, so you need to re validate the install of FO4 from steam, along with removing all the mods. 

Finally, and I don't mean to be patronizing,  did you already run your mod list through LOOT?  While this isn't a panacea, it does hit some major issues with load order.   

Are you using something like "Start Me Up" or another alternate start mod?

I like to use Vanilla Only Saves with No Mods involved to start where I want.  You can use it to start and then load what ever mods you want.  

This is one I use a lot because it has vanilla saves at various parts of the game.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28584?tab=description

I experiment with different mods and have multiple profiles I may start.  Usually this requires a clean save.  I have played the game to the end several times so I don't need to keep restarting in the vault.  This may offer an alternate to avoiding bugs with mods installed before leaving the vault and able to start where you want.

I save all my looksmenu presets so all I need to do is start with the save spot of choice and load my LM preset.  You can be off and running in no time.