Mods Optimizer

View File

Hello everyone,

this is a small application that I made for myself in a hurry. I'm not sure that this forum is the best place for such utilities, but since the main task of this application for me is inextricably linked with the content from this forum, I decided to share it here. Correct me, if I'm wrong ?

Description

I often come across releases of some kind of creative work (sims, lots, etc.), in which the author includes absolutely all the custom content used in the creation. And, unfortunately, I always passed such releases because of the problem of duplicate files. A lot of the custom content that comes with the releases is already in my mods folder. Structured. I'm not sure I fully understand how EA solves duplicate mods folder problems, but as a developer I can tell you for sure that the physical memory of my disk and the RAM of the EA process are not infinite ?

This utility allows you to scan your mods folder and your desired custom content folder in order to find only those files that you don't actually have. As a result, you will get a new folder with custom content that you can safely place in your mods folder.

Note: this is proof of concept app, which can have bugs. If you have any questions or comments please contact me, I will try to help.

Version 1.0.1

Fast Scan added. You can find it in new panel for settings (on by default)

With Fast Scan

Without Fast Scan

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    09/10/2021
  • Category
  • Requires
    May require latest .NET Runtime.

Edited by wyler
Version update
2 hours ago, Luanapt2 said:

Ohh, this is awesome! I’ll try it!

I usually prefer when people add all the CC used to the files (as only one or two zips, when I see more than 10 separate downloads I just don’t download it) so I can avoid missing content, but I probably have duplicates there. This app will be very useful, thanks!!

Enjoy :) 

Well, it did not fine missing items.

I had downloaded some CAS recently, and i noticed there were merged files in it. I believe these were from other DLC's as they where missing meshes.

So i think i am ok and not missing anything.

To check the structure and dependence is really great idea.

Thanks for making it.

2 hours ago, wutpickel said:

Well, it did not fine missing items.

I had downloaded some CAS recently, and i noticed there were merged files in it. I believe these were from other DLC's as they where missing meshes.

So i think i am ok and not missing anything.

To check the structure and dependence is really great idea.

Thanks for making it.

I'm not sure I understood you correctly.
The utility checks the files for similarity, but not the content inside the files.
If you have two files whose internal content overlaps, but not 100% the same, then these two files will be marked as different.

It is potentially possible to check CC internal content in detail but I'm not really familiar with CC files structure to yet.

3 minutes ago, imfrickinhungry said:

For some reason when I tried to launch the .exe, I got a message saying that windows could not access the specified path... Is this a "me" problem? If so, would someone be so gracious as to tell me how to fix it?

Pardon the ring! It was an antivirus issue! (F-Secure is awful)... ?

2 hours ago, imfrickinhungry said:

Pardon the ring! It was an antivirus issue! (F-Secure is awful)... ?

App is not signed with any certificate, so some antivirus software can block it from running. Also a lot of depends on your windows profile rights, most of us have admin rights, but even in this case windows blocks modifications on system disk for apps not started in admin mode.

11 minutes ago, ringfinger said:

Sorry, I didn't pay attention. This is not for me. Command line games are not my thing...

Раз уж вы переводите на русский, будет удобнее и мне вам написать на русском. .NET Runtime можно скачать с официального сайта Microsoft. Вам не требуется ничего делать с консолью, все устанавливается как обычная программа.
image.png.f96ebbca7b19c9626e33697aac0ade4b.png

7 hours ago, Demi-lich said:

What is the difference with ModConflictDetector?

I'm not familiar with ModConflictDetector, but from brief description can say that the difference is in included features. MCD has a lot of features related to management of your mods folder. My tool is focused on helping to avoid duplications in mods folder, by analyzing incoming CC.

• 2 weeks later...

So if it doesn't actually check file contents (listing what tunings are being overridden would be REALLY nice) all it's basically doing is checking file names and file size?

FYI - duplicate resources just increase load times, when it does the resource mapping to it's great internal dictionary it will just replace resources that have already been loaded with the same resource. 

But considering the load times are a pain in the ass anyway, anything that removes unneeded load times is a good thing.

Might I suggest adding a fuzzy file name check as well.  A resource filename downloaded from "Mod the Sims" gets changed automatically so the file names may differ when downloaded from another source, but be the same anyway.  It will also help find slight version variants.  I recommend FuzzySharp, but there are lots of options.

One or two questions though, why the json library?

Also if it's written in .Net why can I not decompile it?

I haven't busted a gut, I have not run your application and am unlikely to ever do so. 

I have my own methods of finding duplicate files, namely

https://powershell.one/tricks/filesystem/finding-duplicate-files

But I realise it might be a bit complicated for some, so your application is a welcome addition to the tool box for modders.

Thank you for sharing.

10 hours ago, LordMemnoch said:

So if it doesn't actually check file contents (listing what tunings are being overridden would be REALLY nice) all it's basically doing is checking file names and file size?

FYI - duplicate resources just increase load times, when it does the resource mapping to it's great internal dictionary it will just replace resources that have already been loaded with the same resource. 

But considering the load times are a pain in the ass anyway, anything that removes unneeded load times is a good thing.

Might I suggest adding a fuzzy file name check as well.  A resource filename downloaded from "Mod the Sims" gets changed automatically so the file names may differ when downloaded from another source, but be the same anyway.  It will also help find slight version variants.  I recommend FuzzySharp, but there are lots of options.

One or two questions though, why the json library?

Also if it's written in .Net why can I not decompile it?

I haven't busted a gut, I have not run your application and am unlikely to ever do so. 

I have my own methods of finding duplicate files, namely

https://powershell.one/tricks/filesystem/finding-duplicate-files

But I realise it might be a bit complicated for some, so your application is a welcome addition to the tool box for modders.

Thank you for sharing.

Hello, this app does nothing with file names, it compares files by hashes, so file name doesn't matter.
JSON is default type for configuration files since .NET Core was introduced.
I'm not using any obfuscators, so don't know why you have problems with decompiling. Latest .NET compiler includes AOT compilation for several cases, so de-compilation may become complicated, but, of cause, not impossible.

• 2 years later...

Tells me I need to install .net even though I downloaded and installed it from the link you provided above to someone else having the same problem. I am using the most recent version of .net, did this mod just not get updated to work with anything higher than 5.0?