Reverse the roles of an animation?

7 minutes ago, coolstuffthanks said:

I'd like to switch the male and female roles on some animations, is there something I can edit to accomplish that? Would it be the json file in the animation pack? Thanks.

The positions are determined by the SexLab script. So, you would have to change that and THAT would result in position reversal whenever that particular mod called for SexLab.

10 minutes ago, Psalam said:

The positions are determined by the SexLab script. So, you would have to change that and THAT would result in position reversal whenever that particular mod called for SexLab.

Pardon my ignorance. but how does the script know which role to assign though? Doesn't the .hkx or the JSON provide some data? If I made a new animation for SL, would I not be able to assign male/female roles to it without scripting?

5 minutes ago, coolstuffthanks said:

Pardon my ignorance. but how does the script know which role to assign though? Doesn't the .hkx or the JSON provide some data? If I made a new animation for SL, would I not be able to assign male/female roles to it without scripting?

When the writer of the mod scripts the mod they choose the positions that the player/NPCs end up in. I find it easiest to explain this by using my own mod, Some Consensual Sex, as an example. When I first wrote the mod the player was always in the traditionally "male" positions when SexLab was called. Due to a large number of requests I placed a second file that instead placed the player in the traditionally "female" positions in the animations. You'll have to take my word for it but the general scripting and the mods and the animations and SexLab were all the same EXCEPT where I told SexLab to place people in the animations.

Just now, coolstuffthanks said:

Most animations don't come with scripts or ESPs though? What I thought is that SL assigns position 1 to female and position 2 to male unless a mod tells it to do something else. I'm really sorry for being annoying, just trying to understand this.

When a modmaker calls SexLab they tell it who belongs in position 1 and position 2 (and position 3, etc.). SexLab makes no "assumption" regarding the sex of the player or NPC. The framework is strictly "gender neutral." As you seem to know, the animation authors tell SexLab where to place "people" in general but they also give no explicit direction that this position is only for a male and that one for a female. If you "play around" a little (mods like Matchmaker and Puppet Master are best for this) you can get two NPCs of any sex in any combination of positions using SexLab Framework and the aforementioned mods. That is because those mods are designed to let the player choose (to some extent) what positions are passed to SexLab. For the vast bulk of mods the positions are programmed into the software of the mod as I described above.

1 minute ago, Psalam said:

When a modmaker calls SexLab they tell it who belongs in position 1 and position 2 (and position 3, etc.). SexLab makes no "assumption" regarding the sex of the player or NPC. The framework is strictly "gender neutral." As you seem to know, the animation authors tell SexLab where to place "people" in general but they also give no explicit direction that this position is only for a male and that one for a female. If you "play around" a little (mods like Matchmaker and Puppet Master are best for this) you can get two NPCs of any sex in any combination of positions using SexLab Framework and the aforementioned mods. That is because those mods are designed to let the player choose (to some extent) what positions are passed to SexLab. For the vast bulk of mods the positions are programmed into the software of the mod as I described above.

Thanks a lot for the explanation I get it now.