Hel Rising - Norse Dungeon Quest and Follower Mod SE

Logo.jpg.8a9bcb555c83d1f7c15d4f6d627e93f1.jpg

“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”

It all started so simple: locate some bandits, clean out their hideout, collect the bounty... a normal day in a hero's life.

But then you stumbled upon an ancient ruin buried deep in the mountains. There a cult of the old Nords once worshipped a now long forgotten goddess and guarded the secret to an eternal life.

What reward could be higher than to live forever? Surely the undead lurking in the derelict ruins won't stop you, neither the deadly traps and tricky puzzles. But beware, some dangers can't be faced with sword or spell, and one misstep might be enough and the Goddess of the Dead claims your mortal soul forever...

Hel Rising is a quest mod spanning multiple dungeons and locations. Also there is Hel as a potential follower available for you at the end of the quest line with a custom voice created by editing vanilla voice files, and some other cool features. She is based on the Norse goddess of the Underworld with a story of my own added in, and a very unique visual appearance and personality.

How to start the quest:

Travel to the Windpeak Inn in Dawnstar and ask the innkeeper if he heard anything interestingly of late. He will give you a bounty letter which will start the quest line.

In case the innkeeper and their replacements are already dead in your playthrough, you have to pickpocket the bounty letter from the current Jarl.

What awaits you:

A three-part quest line as the main story with three major locations. There are also some miscellaneous mini-quests, some old school RPG-style puzzles, and a good bunch of secrets / hidden areas for you too find. The dungeons are designed to be less linear than vanilla dungeons and will give you some room to explore and discover both interesting stuff and story.

One of the locations can be used as a player base after finishing the quest line, and of course Hel will be available as an interesting and rather distinct follower.

Requirements:

Latest version of Skyrim Special Edition
Optional: XP32 Skeleton, but the installer includes an outfit option that does not require the xp32 skeleton.

Installation:

Use your favourite mod manager that can handle a FOMOD installer, simple as that.

Uninstallation:

Uninstalling a mod midgame is never really a good idea, but if you have no other choice:

Dismiss any follower you have from this mod
Go to a location which is definetely not part of this mod (e.g. Riverwood)
Open the console and type: setstage N78TrueHelDLG 1000 (This action can't be reverted)
Wait for 24 in-game hours
Save game and uninstall the mod with your mod manager

Videos:

About Hel

Character & Personality:

Hel is described to met those who lived a good life with warmth and friendliness, while traitors and murderers were faced with cruelty and harshness. So her personality switches between these two sides: while one is dominant, the other gets in the background.

During gameplay Hel will change her active personality every few days. How long such a phase is and how often she changes will be decided by some of your actions during the quest. Everyone gets their own personal Hel.

Neither of her sides is simply good or evil, and as a being from a different plane of existence she has her own mind on some things in the mortal world. But generally her light side is nicer and more helpful than her dark side.

Voice:

Depending on her currently dominant personality Hel will switch between two voices. Her dark side will use the FemaleElfHaughty voice while her light side is based on FemaleYoungEager.

All her dialogue is heavily edited with Audacity to create a unique sound, and she has numerous new lines which doesn't exist in the vanilla game.

Player Base:

After finishing the quest line and recruiting her, you can obtain a certain location as a base for storing loot and offering the usual crafting stations. To get there simply talk to Hel, she will show you the way ?

Race:

Norse Goddess (Custom Race)

Marriage:

No, she isn't available for marriage

She will remain in the location where the quest line ends, and will wait there for you to be recruited. She also returns there if dismissed.

Combat Style:

One-handed / Heavy armour.

Perks:

• Heavy Armor: Juggernaut (Rank 1), Well Fitted
  • Block: Shield Wall (Rank 1)
  • Archery: Overdraw (Rank 1)
  • Sneak: Stealth (Rank 4), Muffled Movement, Light Foot, Silent Roll

Abilities:

At the start of combat Hel will summon a soul to aid in battle. Depending on her active personality, this will either be a Tormented Soul which fights as a close-combat focused tank, or a Benevolent Soul which prefers ranged combat and has the ability to heal both Hel and the player.

You can tell Hel to not use her summons in combat if you want.

Level:

Hel levels with the player at a rate of 95%, her minimum level is 5

Protection:

Hel is set to Essential, she can't be killed by NPCs or the player

Body Type:

CBBE
Her default outfit version is standalone, so you can have a different body installed. The lore friendly outfit version will use your installed meshes. Her skin textures will work with any CBBE-type body that uses the same UV mapping.

Height: 1.02
Weight: 80

Technical Stuff

Change Log:

v1.10

• Complete overhaul of Hel (looks, combat style, perks, race, rideable horse, etc.)
  • Added a new section to Helheim
  • Minor tweaks to quests
  • Minor improvements to dungeon design
  • Minor bug fixes

Do NOT install v1.10 if you already started a game with an older version installed. Use v1.10 only if you are starting a new game, or never used an older version of Hel Rising in your current save game.
If you ignore this advice you have to deal with the mess yourself, you have been warned! ?

For those who want the old v1.00 of Hel Rising, it's available as a separate download.

Compatibility:

Hel has her own follower system. This means while she won't conflict with any mod regarding followers, she will be ignored by them and their respective special features. It's not recommended to use any force recruit / manage features from other mods on her as this certainly will mess up things.

To put it simply, she will follow you when you ask her to, and do so until you dismiss her. Through dialogue you will be able to manage her outfit, toggle her summon spell, and while she is your follower you will gain a Lesser Power to summon her to your side.

Console:

Hel's BaseID is xx000D64, her RefID is xx017B15 (xx depends on your load order)

Questions & Answers

I'm stuck in the quest, how do I advance?

Some parts of the quest are designed to be non-linear, so if you're stuck you are maybe just in the wrong place right now or missing an item or hint laying around somewhere else. Look around and explore everywhere.
Unlike vanilla Skyrim the quest markers and log will occasionally be more of a guide than pointing you exactly to the next step.
If you still have problems, ask away.

I don't like follower mods, what should I do?

You can still enjoy the quest part of this mod (which by the way makes the biggest part of the mod). While Hel plays an integral part to the story, she is at no point forced to you as a follower. If you want, you can simply ignore her after the quest.

Will you release her preset?

No, her look wouldn't work on the player character without some modding work. Also I don't really like the idea, sorry.

Is this thing really lore friendly?

Technically not of course xD But it's definitely thematically fitting and the story told isn't too far off. If you have concerns about Hel's outfit you can simply install the lore friendly one.

I get nasty crashes when meeting Hel for the first time, what do I do?

Either install / reinstall the xp32 Maximum Skeleton or switch to Hel's lore friendly outfit during install.

Will you make a version with a "normal" appearance?

No, this would ruin the character.

Credits

- Mods used for her creation -

Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Edition -CBBE- by Ousnius and Caliente
DIMONIZED UNP Female Body by dimon99
UNP HDT-PE BBP TBBP by Turbosundance
KS Hairdos Renewal by Kalilies Stealthic Khaos and Shocky
Demoniac High Quality Glossy Female Body Texture by Regenbot03
Demoniac FMS uses assets from Mature skin texture and body for UNP(B) 7BASE CBBE Vanilla by Maevan2
Leyenda Skin by HeroedeLeyenda
Freckle Mania 2 by tetrodoxin
The Eyes Of Beauty by Gabriel Mailhot
Lind's Human Eyes by Lind001 - LindsWorkshop
Maevan2's Eye Brows by Maevan2
The Amazing World of Bikini Armor by NiseTanaka
Pierced Ears - Earrings by Nostromo79
Vanilla Followers AI by uni_SL
Evil Laughing Woman Sound - Woman Laugh Sound Effect | Ver.2 by Distorted Room
Matherian Viking Shields Set - MVSS by Matherthebec (mtwitalia.freeforumzone.leonardo.it)
Matherian Viking Shields Set - Retextured by Tier1Dusty
Sparrowhawk Armor by lucazoid
Sarta - Leather Wrapped Sword by Billyro
Dovah Nord Weapons by Billyro

- Music -

Music: Ásgarðr by Adrian von Ziegler

- Tools -

GIMP, NifSkope, Audacity
Lazy Voice Finder by BowmoreLover
Unfuzer CPP Edition by greentea101
RaceMenu by Expired
BodySlide and Outfit Studio by Ousnius and Caliente
TES5Edit by ElminsterAU
NifMerge by Turulo
SSE NIF Optimizer by Ousnius
Skyrim & Creation Kit by Bethesda

Special Thanks

Porterhause for making the teaser, playtesting and being a great guy in general
BowMoreLover whose Lazy Voice Finder proved to be invaluable for editing all the dialogue

Have Fun!

32 minutes ago, mikesolo1975 said:

this version its the same there are from nexus  ?

Yes and no ?

I've made several updates to the mod which I uploaded here as v1.10 for the first time. But since it changes a lot and is not compatible with the old v1.00 from Nexus, I also uploaded the old file for those who want it.

14 minutes ago, nachtdaemmerung77 said:

Yes and no ?

I've made several updates to the mod which I uploaded here as v1.10 for the first time. But since it changes a lot and is not compatible with the old v1.00 from Nexus, I also uploaded the old file for those who want it.

ok i go use the new version.

i use all your mods there are amazing.

thanks again for the amazing work , help and time my friend.

31 minutes ago, ripptide said:

Glad to see you here after the Nexus debacle Nacht. Just a non-Hel related question, will you be uploading your other follower mods, like Tish and her family, here eventually as well? Cheers for all the work.

If you are especially interested in the followers I made for Porterhause, he has already uploaded Mae Little-Fire here. Best to ask him about the others, since I just made them into mods. They are more his babies than mine ?

As for my own followers, I have some ideas about their future, but I haven't decided on all the details yet. The plan is to bring more of them back eventually, but it will take some time ?

2 hours ago, nachtdaemmerung77 said:

If you are especially interested in the followers I made for Porterhause, he has already uploaded Mae Little-Fire here. Best to ask him about the others, since I just made them into mods. They are more his babies than mine ?

As for my own followers, I have some ideas about their future, but I haven't decided on all the details yet. The plan is to bring more of them back eventually, but it will take some time ?

Thanks for the heads up Nacht, missed them before. Looking forward to what you come up with in the future.

v1.10

• Complete overhaul of Hel (looks, combat style, perks, race, rideable horse, etc.)
  • Added a new section to Helheim
  • Minor tweaks to quests
  • Minor improvements to dungeon design
  • Minor bug fixes

GAHHH!

If Shindara's mod also ends up with as significant an update like these, I'd be putting off a new merge or even considering a non-merge for the special quest-included followers. With Yuriana Wench also going through another version change, I won't be getting out of a modcheck run anytime soon.

Edited by hotrack

Wow! Your amazing for not just reuploading your mods here but also updating them too! Thank you! Now that you got your hands dirty working the CK for these lovely ladies are you inspired to create more? :) Oh and if you did consider it would you use all that VAsynth or w.e stuff? Your splicing of voicework with what you had at the time was very creative and totally fit the characters, I totally thought they were their own characters! Or would you be using a VA like in Maelstrom?

Edited by Gurofiend24
12 hours ago, shardoom said:

Any chance you could release a 3ba version or release the bodyslide files for the bodies/armours so that we can make our own?

(Same question for Maelstrom)

Sorry to say, but I don't dabble with the many body types floating around, I just use CBBE and sometimes UNP. And the bodyslide files I used where the ones that come with TAWOBA, I didn't made any of my own.

But if someone wants to make a body replacer for my mods, I usually give permission to do so ?

10 hours ago, Gurofiend24 said:

Wow! Your amazing for not just reuploading your mods here but also updating them too! Thank you! Now that you got your hands dirty working the CK for these lovely ladies are you inspired to create more? :) Oh and if you did consider it would you use all that VAsynth or w.e stuff? Your splicing of voicework with what you had at the time was very creative and totally fit the characters, I totally thought they were their own characters! Or would you be using a VA like in Maelstrom?

Thank you very much for your kind words! ?

But the sad truth is, I don't have enough time anymore to create new mods. Real-life is taking its toll, sorry. ? Of course I can't predict the future, but for now all I can manage is updating my old mods and reupload them.

11 hours ago, nachtdaemmerung77 said:

Sorry to say, but I don't dabble with the many body types floating around, I just use CBBE and sometimes UNP. And the bodyslide files I used where the ones that come with TAWOBA, I didn't made any of my own.

But if someone wants to make a body replacer for my mods, I usually give permission to do so ?

Yeah I've already replaced the body files for your Maelstrom in my own game, but I kinda wanted to do the armours for this one (and Maelstrom) are you saying the BS files are all in TAWOBA? I don't know what TOWOBA is though to be honest. lol

I went ahead and created CBBE bodyslides for all the armors in the mod, but in my game a lot of stuff looks invisible when equipped.

So I went into creation kit and saw that some armor pieces are pointing to a file structure that only existed for the 1.00 version of the mod. for example

n78TrueHelArmorCuiriassAAChest

the 1.00 location is

actors\character\TrueHel\armour\Chestguard_1_1.nif

but the new 1.10 location is probably

n78truehel\armour\hel\Chestguard_1_1

I've only played through the 1.00 version of the mod so there's a chance that these armors are not being used and so the paths don't matter, but I'm leaving this here just in case anyone has invisible armor issues. ( I think everything gets solved if you leave the 1.00 version enabled so that the game can locate the files and textures but disable the old esp or let the new esp overwrite the old one by using your mod load order.)

In the end it could all be an error on my part haha

Edited by venomr