Which is the best version of Fallout to buy?

Apologies if this should be in general discussion, I wasn't quite sure.

Given the Steam summer sale is on I'm tempted to finally buy the Fallout series, but before I actually bought any of them I remembered that some games don't do so well on the Steam versions. Given LL is (obviously :) ) a modding site I'm wondering how the Steam version performs for you all? Would you suggest I'd be better off buying on GOG or Origin instead?

9 hours ago, RebelInfernal said:

Apologies if this should be in general discussion, I wasn't quite sure.

Given the Steam summer sale is on I'm tempted to finally buy the Fallout series, but before I actually bought any of them I remembered that some games don't do so well on the Steam versions. Given LL is (obviously :) ) a modding site I'm wondering how the Steam version performs for you all? Would you suggest I'd be better off buying on GOG or Origin instead?

I have the Steam version, but GOG should be fine too.

Note that Fallout 3 under Windows 10 doesn't like to behave, so if you get fallout 3, also get Fallout New Vegas, so that you can use the mod Tale-Of-Two-Wastelands and Fallout 3 (and new vegas) run on the New Vegas engine, which is more stable.

Also piece of advise (and self-promotion), but even if you don't want to install Sexout, it is smart to follow the first section of below link (without the Sexout obviously) as it will improve stability and enable you to use many other mods.

13 hours ago, dborg2 said:

Note that Fallout 3 under Windows 10 doesn't like to behave, so if you get fallout 3, also get Fallout New Vegas, so that you can use the mod Tale-Of-Two-Wastelands and Fallout 3 (and new vegas) run on the New Vegas engine, which is more stable.

Also piece of advise (and self-promotion), but even if you don't want to install Sexout, it is smart to follow the first section of below link (without the Sexout obviously) as it will improve stability and enable you to use many other mods.

Thanks a lot! That's a good list too so thanks for that. Not to worry, I'll forgive the self-promotion since it's so helpful ;)

• 7 months later...

Late for OP, but if anyone else reads this, go with the GoG versions. They come 'out of the box' with no DRM, no Windows Live (which is defunct anyway), and already patched to use 4gb of RAM instead of 2gb they originally shipped with. 

For Fallout 3, the GoG version runs fine on Windows 10; can't say the same for Steam in my (and many others) experience.

I have GoG, Steam, and Disc versions of FO3, FNV, and Oblivion; the GoG ones are, hands down, the most stable, and work well on Windows 10.

*I also recommend GoG for Oblivion if you ever feel like playing that again

On 6/26/2021 at 3:04 AM, dborg2 said:

Does that cause problems for Fallout 3 mods if they were not made specifically for New Vegas?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 3:04 AM, dborg2 said:

Oh I know.  Fallout 3 is terrible on Steam.  Even now unless you know what you're doing to fix it, the game is unplayable due to an instant crash you get upon launching Fallout 3 on Steam.  If you don't want to use Tale of Two Wastelands, I would get Fallout 3 on GOG instead.   On the other hand, New Vegas works fine on Steam.  I don't know if it's just me, but my Fallout 3 on Steam is still misbehaving with the instant crash.  I'm not going to get TTW because I want to make two separate female characters with separate mods lists & ENBs for both Fallout 3 and New Vegas.  I'll figure it out later.  But for now I'll work on modding the living daylights out of New Vegas.