To Vortex or not to Vortex....

Hey Modding community.

I need some help as someone who has recently returned to Skyrim (and of course, wanting to mod it up).

I got a nice link on another thread from someone that gave me a rather in-depth guide on what was 'needed' to get things like Sexlab and SKSE installed... but then i ran into the lovely Vortex thing from Nexus.... and there is where my issues began.

Things seem to be going good, i used it to install everything from Sexlab, to CBBE and Bodyslide.. and FNIS... but, when i tried to run say Bodyslides Outfit studio.. it came up blank, unable to find any shapes... tried launching the game, and even with an Alternate Start mod installed... and i got the base intro to happen....

Umm... i feel like i am missing a few steps here.. as it seems Vortex either isnt actually activating anything, or its not using the SKSE launcher? or a bit of both? or are there some things i 'need' to install manually as Vortex's "pre-load" thing where it keeps mods in a separate folder is causing issues?

Any tips?  Ive been out of the loop for a while and really missing NMM :(

Thanks for any help!

can't speak for most vortex users, but I and many others fire up SKSE64 using a shortcut from desktop. I know you can configure Vortex to fire up SKSE64, but tbh, I've never paid attention on how to. I just use Vortex to manage my mods and handle LOOT/FNIS ops. The game itself (via SKSE64_loader.exe), Bodyslide,  NifSkope, SSEEdit, etc all get called from shortcuts, although again, I believe you can configure vortex so you have buttons that do the same. I just don't know how and don't need to. I drop all my skyrim shortcuts to the quickbar for access without having to have another app open to do so. (fwiw)

Bodyslide coming up without any content....perhaps you're putting your Bodyslide assets somewhere other than what Bodyslide expects? ie

(root)/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steam apps/common/Skyrim Special Edition/Data/bodyslide/CalienteTools/BodySlide/

I believe that if you do have things located on other drives/directories than their "normal" location, you have to configure Bodyslide to tell it where the assets are located. Again, that's another language to me, since I simply installed as Bethesda expected and it's been a breeze ever since (except for my own learning curve). And just fyi, the first time Bodyslide is run, you have to tell it where the game is located, in case you didn't get that far.

Also, just ftr, you know you have to "deploy" after installing a mod, right? If not, it's not installed (only saying this because you say you're new to vortex, so please don't bite)

Edited by anjenthedog

Vortex is a mixed bag for Skyrim.  Some mods work perfectly fine...others don't.  I started with Vortex and grew highly annoyed by it.  I now use MO2 and kinda love it.  The only issue I have with MO2 is overwriting.  I can't seem to understand how to figure it out, but it wasn't caused any issues in game.

1 hour ago, anjenthedog said:

can't speak for most vortex users, but I and many others fire up SKSE64 using a shortcut from desktop. I know you can configure Vortex to fire up SKSE64, but tbh, I've never paid attention on how to. I just use Vortex to manage my mods and handle LOOT/FNIS ops. The game itself (via SKSE64_loader.exe), Bodyslide,  NifSkope, SSEEdit, etc all get called from shortcuts, although again, I believe you can configure vortex so you have buttons that do the same. I just don't know how and don't need to. I drop all my skyrim shortcuts to the quickbar for access without having to have another app open to do so. (fwiw)

Bodyslide coming up without any content....perhaps you're putting your Bodyslide assets somewhere other than what Bodyslide expects? ie

(root)/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steam apps/common/Skyrim Special Edition/Data/bodyslide/CalienteTools/BodySlide/

I believe that if you do have things located on other drives/directories than their "normal" location, you have to configure Bodyslide to tell it where the assets are located. Again, that's another language to me, since I simply installed as Bethesda expected and it's been a breeze ever since (except for my own learning curve). And just fyi, the first time Bodyslide is run, you have to tell it where the game is located, in case you didn't get that far.

Also, just ftr, you know you have to "deploy" after installing a mod, right? If not, it's not installed (only saying this because you say you're new to vortex, so please don't bite)

Thing is... When i used purely Vortex to install everything, and i launched Bodyslide 'from' Vortex, even after fixing its path, it came up with 0 to edit. As if nothing had actually been installed.

I tried doing it manually 'without' Vortex, and it worked like expected.

This is whats got me scratching my head as if im missing a step somewhere with Vortex.  And i think it has to do with how it manages the mods 'outside' of the Game folder, when in the old days i was use to NMM actually placing the files into the game folder. So when i launched Bodyslide from vortex, it had nothing to show because nothing was actually 'in' the game directory (it was instead wherever Vortex stashes everything)

*edit*

p.s. I never bite........... unless asked ;)

And im thinking the 'deploy' thing might be whats giving me issues?... i'll give it another shot tomarrow.. gonna do the nuclear option tonight, reinstall SKSE manually (as i think thats one thing that Vortex cant install?) then try again.

Edited by Rhapsody81
3 hours ago, Rhapsody81 said:

Things seem to be going good, i used it to install everything from Sexlab, to CBBE and Bodyslide.. and FNIS... but, when i tried to run say Bodyslides Outfit studio.. it came up blank, unable to find any shapes... tried launching the game, and even with an Alternate Start mod installed... and i got the base intro to happen....

I think you need to configure some tools to run through Vortex (in something called dashboard?). You also need to do something about deploy mods... sometimes. Yeah, not really into Vortex. But I think it's a totally valid option, if you learn how to use it. For that there is a video series by Gopher about using Vortex to mod Skyrim. There are other Vortex guides on youtube. That should set you on the right path to learn its features and configure different things (like SKSE, FNIS or Bodyslide).

47 minutes ago, DylanCorp said:

The only issue I have with MO2 is overwriting.  I can't seem to understand how to figure it out, but it wasn't caused any issues in game.

What do you mean? Overwriting as in when two mods contain the same files and one overwrites another? If that's the case:

You need to look at your left panel. There you'll see different conflict flags (lighting bolt with + and - signs). If you double click these mods and go to the Conflict tab you'll see the conflicting files in detail.

The order in which the mods are listed will determine which mod will provide the files for the game when you launch it. If two mods are conflicting, the mod below will win said conflict (so its files are used in game instead of the other conflicting mod). This means in order to correctly solve a conflict you'll need to determine which files you need in game and adjust your left panel accordingly. Some examples:

Spoiler
  1. Sexlab framework conflicts with Papyrus Util (and plenty of other mods that contain its own version of Papyrus Util). To ensure your game will use the latest PU version, you'll need to place it (on your left panel) after any mod conflicting with it.
  2. SOS, XPMSSE and other mods containing actor skeletons are another common conflict. In this case you want to use the skeletons from XPMSSE, so you move XPMSSE below SOS on your left panel... unless you use creature mods, because the creature skeletons from MNC and similar mods need to overwrite the XPMSSE skeletons. So your left panel in regards to these mods would look like
    1. SOS
    2. XPMSSE
    3. MNC
  3. A lot of conflicts comes from textures or meshes files for things like furniture, armors, clutter and so on. In this case you'll need to chose based on which mods you want or need in game. For example mods like Static mesh improvement replace a lot of things, but what if you have another mod that only replaces a chair, and you really like that chair. Then you'll need to place Static mesh improvement above your awesome chair mod.
  4. If a mod patches or upgrades something from another mod you'll surely want to place these patches or upgrades below the original mod.

Edited by Just Don't
14 hours ago, Rhapsody81 said:

Thing is... When i used purely Vortex to install everything, and i launched Bodyslide 'from' Vortex, even after fixing its path, it came up with 0 to edit. As if nothing had actually been installed.

I tried doing it manually 'without' Vortex, and it worked like expected.

This is whats got me scratching my head as if im missing a step somewhere with Vortex.  And i think it has to do with how it manages the mods 'outside' of the Game folder, when in the old days i was use to NMM actually placing the files into the game folder. So when i launched Bodyslide from vortex, it had nothing to show because nothing was actually 'in' the game directory (it was instead wherever Vortex stashes everything)

*edit*

p.s. I never bite........... unless asked ;)

And im thinking the 'deploy' thing might be whats giving me issues?... i'll give it another shot tomarrow.. gonna do the nuclear option tonight, reinstall SKSE manually (as i think thats one thing that Vortex cant install?) then try again.

Deploy is what will stick everything in the \data folder like installing manually/with NMM although I'd suggest going into the options and disabling the auto run of FNIS after deploy as that just causes headaches

i.e.

image.png.b5a7244c78f2c3e4af50bd20d7a4aafe.png

Turn it off as it makes life easier

That said vortex (never used MO2 so can't say) does have some neat features like being able to install ENB and preset (google the tutorial on how to do it) so switching those is easier and while i installed SKSE manually out of habit it is also meant to be able to do that as well which NMM never could do so if you google installing SKSE with vortex there seem plenty of resources showing how its done

Once you've successfully deployed i don't think it really matters whether you run FNIS from Vortex or go \Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users and click GenerateFNISforUsers.exe, doing it either way the FNIS report looks the same for me. Same with bodyslide so setting these up on the vortex dashboard looks more of a convenience thing than a necessity as long as your doing them after using deploy

Edited by pinky6225

In a nutshell, Vortex's "Deploy" runs LOOT (internally) to ensure proper rules have been followed, compiles the mods and plugin listings, and runs FNIS (either externally, or in background if you've opted for a silent FNIS) to ensure animations work correctly. (probably does a few other things, but that's the basics.

And unlike the person above me, I do not agree that you should disable autorunning FNIS during the deployment phase. Admittedly, it causes a longer deployment (FNIS takes time to do its job), and FNIS isn't always required for a given mod installation, but keeping it scheduled for autorun during deployment ensures that you're covered after ALL mod installations, and you don't end up having to post something along the lines of "Like I did everything, but like everyone is t-posed now, and I don't' know what to do...  this game sucks man,, I shoodah stuck wit LE, like man" (which I've seen in so many words way too many times)... and waiting (often for days) for someone to reply with a valid solution... instead of playing your game.

Edited by anjenthedog
1 hour ago, anjenthedog said:

And unlike the person above me, I do not agree that you should disable autorunning FNIS during the deployment phase. Admittedly, it causes a longer deployment (FNIS takes time to do its job), and FNIS isn't always required for a given mod installation, but keeping it scheduled for autorun during deployment ensures that you're covered after ALL mod installations, and you don't end up having to post something along the lines of "Like I did everything, but like everyone is t-posed now, and I don't' know what to do...  this game sucks man,, I shoodah stuck wit LE, like man" (which I've seen in so many words way too many times)... and waiting (often for days) for someone to reply with a valid solution... instead of playing your game.

If you feel it helps then by all means leave it enabled but as lots of mods that come with a fomod (fancy installation menu) are checking for a .esp to be present to work correctly (you literally can't tick an option if the .esp isn't present) so you have to install some stuff sequentially (deploy, install, deploy install etc) and having to wait for FNIS to run between each of those achieves nothing other than increasing blood pressure/draining will to live so like with NMM just remember to run FNIS when you are done and your all good

I simply believe that advise like that is best left for more veteran users, and that when prematurely offered to novitiates/newbs/etc, often results in unnecessary problems for them, and not just applicable for Skyrim either, but to keep in focus, for skyrim specifically. I don't want to belabor the point or argue, so that's all I'll say. 

Edited by anjenthedog
phrasing
  • 2 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 5:32 AM, -Delete- said:

I never stopped using the original NMM, it always worked for me so I never changed

I have the same issue as another person from this thread - a lot of mods that worked perfectly fine when I was using NMM, just don't work when using Vortex, I tried MO2, but maybe I'm too stupid for it, I can try it again, but it will probably be to no avail(got stuck on game not launching cause of resolution not supported error). I really wish I had the old NMM, cause it was simple and it worked, with Vortex it's like a lottery where some simple mods(armour replacement for example) just don't work because why would they.

Edited by Telis5678
On 9/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, Bluegunk said:

I wanted to love Vortex.... but my first experiences of it left me like this:   Arrgh.

I stick with MO2 and love it. I doubt I'll change from it. It's so easy to use and rarely lets me down.

Whatever works for "you" and you're happy with what you have, that's all that matters.

And anyway, How can I argue with someone using an avatar of the "hawtest chick" from Xena Warrior princess (aside ~maybe from Xena's supposed daughter)?  ;)

Edited by anjenthedog