Khajiit fur mod - hit a wall (NSFW)

Hi guys.

So i've been making a khajiit fur
mod (Image below):

9.png.0b84dd63819bf93812a21b50531261a4.png8.thumb.png.1d4a96e3a74cde8d0b401176ab75c7c8.png6.thumb.png.78e8c47dd2db61acb32f5883241ff359.png

I've hit a big problem though; her fur doesn't "retain" her underlying skin tone.

Her fur is tied to skin tone (uses skin tone shader type) and slot 60, it's referenced in a ESP and khajiits also use their own custom body (via another seperate mod)It all works fine, and the fur "mesh" object changes tone in relation to her skintone correctly.

however, the moment she then equips/unequipts armor, her fur returns to a default "White" appearance which looks odd.

Here's another pic of the "bug" :

ScreenShot1.png.cfe732bdae22cc129410919b3ca45337.png

As you can see, it's a bit wrong, lol.

Any ideas on what the cause is? I've no idea and cant seem to get over this problem. It must be solvable surely as mods like Schlongs of Skyrim incorporate a custom mesh (penis) and it syncs with skin and (importantly) retains its tone on equipt/unequipt of armors. Can anyone offer any help?

Oh my god, this is amazing. Does the fur have its own texture or does it use the skin texture you have installed? I had something similar happen when I tried editing a texture for my own use a while back. It could not be the same kind of issue at all, I don't really know too much about this type of thing yet.

• 2 weeks later...

still very much a WIP, might have had some progress with the help of Ichirou but no gaurantees as of yet.

Even then, it's a long way off, namely because it's built upon Unique Bodies by Race mod, meaning every khajiit armor in the game will have to be modified (at least, if it shows bare skin/fur.

And obviously mod added armors wouldn't work unless converted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/29/2021 at 10:55 PM, bob223355 said:

Is there any chance you would be willing to use this technique to make a pubic hair mod for females?

Funny thing is, i've been using pubic hair mods (existing ones) to try and find a workaround to this problem, sadly to no avail - the pubic hair mods all seem to have similiar issues as well. Hair color problems from in-game bugs and other weirdness.

This mod has been pretty much abandoned now unless anyone with some experience or know how has the capability to assist.

Edited by Watchamacallit
On 6/23/2021 at 10:03 AM, Watchamacallit said:

Funny thing is, i've been using pubic hair mods (existing ones) to try and find a workaround to this problem, sadly to no avail - the pubic hair mods all seem to have similiar issues as well. Hair color problems from in-game bugs and other weirdness.

This mod has been pretty much abandoned now unless anyone with some experience or know how has the capability to assist.

So is the problem that it wont match skin color?

there is this mod here https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/48311

It allows wigs to match hair color

What im thinking(just off the top of my head)

Is if you consider the main body mesh, furless skin and uses the skintone, so under your fur shell the whole body is hairless skin

you then have the fur shell set to sync to haircolor via the mod i listed this then sits over the skin

So interms of mesh layers you would have

the main body mesh - the skin layer

the first fur layer - this would be a full fur layer(no alpha dots) where only the areas you want exposed like the boobs are in the alpha of this layer

the rest of the fur layers - done as the alpha dots aka the shelling method

So now you have individual skintone and hair color thats considered fur color for this use

So if the fur shell both for the head and the body are technically considered wigs you can use the hair color syncing, tbh it makes sense that khajiit hair is just longer strands of there fur and should all be the same color/pattern anyway

The skin layer could also have the 'pattern' that the fur uses so it all syncs up nicely, you would want to have a nice fade in the alpha between the fur layers and the skin underneath so the transition is nice and smooth which i think you have done a good job already in the images

Edited by Starman01
On 6/29/2021 at 5:39 PM, Starman01 said:

So is the problem that it wont match skin color?

there is this mod here https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/48311

It allows wigs to match hair color

What im thinking(just off the top of my head)

Is if you consider the main body mesh, furless skin and uses the skintone, so under your fur shell the whole body is hairless skin

you then have the fur shell set to sync to haircolor via the mod i listed this then sits over the skin

So interms of mesh layers you would have

the main body mesh - the skin layer

the first fur layer - this would be a full fur layer(no alpha dots) where only the areas you want exposed like the boobs are in the alpha of this layer

the rest of the fur layers - done as the alpha dots aka the shelling method

So now you have individual skintone and hair color thats considered fur color for this use

So if the fur shell both for the head and the body are technically considered wigs you can use the hair color syncing, tbh it makes sense that khajiit hair is just longer strands of there fur and should all be the same color/pattern anyway

The skin layer could also have the 'pattern' that the fur uses so it all syncs up nicely, you would want to have a nice fade in the alpha between the fur layers and the skin underneath so the transition is nice and smooth which i think you have done a good job already in the images

Actually the biggest problem i've ran into is:

1. if i set the fur (on her body) to use the hair tint shader type (nifscope) it all works fine, HOWEVER;  it obviously doesn't sync well with the underlying skin (her main texture) as, her body texture is considered "skin tone" so therefore follows that of her facial colors (Also considered skin tone) - her body using the "Skin Tint" shader type, and her face using the "Face Tint" shader type (which makes BOTH use the skin slider in race menu).

Now you could say "Well why dont you just make sure when you make your character, you choose the right hair/fur/skin setup so it doesn't look odd?" Well...the problem with this is, existing khajiits in the game WILL look odd, because of their preconfigured race setup. It's just far easier to have Khajiits use ONE slider (either skin, or hair) for their entire color over that of both.

so, i thought to remedy this, why not set her "fur" as skin tone (So it uses the skin slider, like her body/head) so it all syncs? Well, it worked....

up until she changes armor at least - the game seems to not retain or remember her fur "color" when she changes armor, and goes back to a default color which causes sync problems. It's all snced up fine once i exit race menu, but then when she wears armor, it desyncs and looks off. So i then created this thread (it's the bug in the OP).

So, another remedy i thought, would be to force her body and head to use the "Hair Tint" shader type - the same as the fur.

This worked, no "desync" issues on armor changes. Her body all syncs fine, changes hair "Color" fine in race menu via hair slider.........

However, her face doesn't. In fact, if i use ANYTHING but the "Face Tint" shader type for her head mesh, her head either disappears entirely, or causes other weird graphical anomalies.

So, i've hit a major wall and it's all stalled. I tried using different flags for her head while it was set to Hair Tint but so far i've not really found anything that works at all.

If any mesh experts have any input on this i'd appreciate it.

Edited by Watchamacallit
14 hours ago, Watchamacallit said:

Actually the biggest problem i've ran into is:

1. if i set the fur (on her body) to use the hair tint shader type (nifscope) it all works fine, HOWEVER;  it obviously doesn't sync well with the underlying skin (her main texture) as, her body texture is considered "skin tone" so therefore follows that of her facial colors (Also considered skin tone) - her body using the "Skin Tint" shader type, and her face using the "Face Tint" shader type (which makes BOTH use the skin slider in race menu).

Now you could say "Well why dont you just make sure when you make your character, you choose the right hair/fur/skin setup so it doesn't look odd?" Well...the problem with this is, existing khajiits in the game WILL look odd, because of their preconfigured race setup. It's just far easier to have Khajiits use ONE slider (either skin, or hair) for their entire color over that of both.

Think you missed my point,

Set the main/original body to a skin texture, same as what human races use, they would now look furless

you then set the first layer of the fur shell as the main fur layer where its got a full body fur texture excluding the 'exposed' areas in the alpha where it shows the skin

So now the fur is completely independent from the body and can be set to the hair shader

With the head you do the same except you wouldnt need to set the main original head to a skin texture as i assume theres no exposed skin on the head in your design

What you end up with is two new bodyparts fur_head and fur_body these two parts are set and using the hair slider using the wig trick from the mod i posted

getting npcs to to use this, the new body part should be fine as npcs arnt generated with bodies, with this the new head part you may want to make a wearable version thats invisible(marked as unplayable) and use SPID to give all khajiit the fur for there heads, think of this as a fur helmet of sorts

Depending how thick the fur shell is you may want to not have the fur_body show with armor as it may clip with tighter outfits

My suggestion is you separate the fur into two parts, a base fur layer and an extended fur layer so fur_body_base and fur_body_extended

the base fur layer is the first fur layer of your fur shell, the most skin tight mesh layer, This layer adds a skin tight fur to the otherwise furless body

the extended fur layer is the rest of your fur shell, this adds the fluff

so when your wear armor it overrides the extended fur layer but not your base layer, as the main body that comes with outfits would be hairless so you need the base fur layer to add the most flat layer of fur

If npcs have an assigned hair color there fur will set to that many khajiit may have a generic default hair color as i think many vanilla dont use hair technically 

eather way the fur_head. fur_body_Base and fur_body_extended would all use the hair color and match

The result would probably be most khajiit npcs use the same or similar skin tint for there skin color and hair color for there fur as i assume most just rely on the fur texture alone and didnt change colors much. The player can then experiment with setting the skin tone and hair/fur tones to whatever they want

If you wanted to extend this mod to change npc hair and skink tones you can do just in xedit without having to regenerate npc meshes

you can test different skin/hair tone combos and note them down then give them to verious ect

You seem to be worried about fur to skin transition, can a see your texture for the first fur shell(the first layer of your fur) I can see if i need to suggest changes

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 5:29 AM, Starman01 said:

Think you missed my point,

Set the main/original body to a skin texture, same as what human races use, they would now look furless

you then set the first layer of the fur shell as the main fur layer where its got a full body fur texture excluding the 'exposed' areas in the alpha where it shows the skin

So now the fur is completely independent from the body and can be set to the hair shader

With the head you do the same except you wouldnt need to set the main original head to a skin texture as i assume theres no exposed skin on the head in your design

What you end up with is two new bodyparts fur_head and fur_body these two parts are set and using the hair slider using the wig trick from the mod i posted

getting npcs to to use this, the new body part should be fine as npcs arnt generated with bodies, with this the new head part you may want to make a wearable version thats invisible(marked as unplayable) and use SPID to give all khajiit the fur for there heads, think of this as a fur helmet of sorts

Depending how thick the fur shell is you may want to not have the fur_body show with armor as it may clip with tighter outfits

My suggestion is you separate the fur into two parts, a base fur layer and an extended fur layer so fur_body_base and fur_body_extended

the base fur layer is the first fur layer of your fur shell, the most skin tight mesh layer, This layer adds a skin tight fur to the otherwise furless body

the extended fur layer is the rest of your fur shell, this adds the fluff

so when your wear armor it overrides the extended fur layer but not your base layer, as the main body that comes with outfits would be hairless so you need the base fur layer to add the most flat layer of fur

If npcs have an assigned hair color there fur will set to that many khajiit may have a generic default hair color as i think many vanilla dont use hair technically 

eather way the fur_head. fur_body_Base and fur_body_extended would all use the hair color and match

The result would probably be most khajiit npcs use the same or similar skin tint for there skin color and hair color for there fur as i assume most just rely on the fur texture alone and didnt change colors much. The player can then experiment with setting the skin tone and hair/fur tones to whatever they want

If you wanted to extend this mod to change npc hair and skink tones you can do just in xedit without having to regenerate npc meshes

you can test different skin/hair tone combos and note them down then give them to verious ect

You seem to be worried about fur to skin transition, can a see your texture for the first fur shell(the first layer of your fur) I can see if i need to suggest changes

Duely noted, i really do appreciate the input.

In the meantime i have steadily made progress. Thought i'd share a (NSFW) video of some of her physics, alongside her fur coat, as well as armor edits to enable cup bounce.:

https://streamable.com/9j26zp

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So as I get started with this I'll say this is my interpretation of what is done (I'm probably wrong), this is also my first time saying anything on this site.... Been browsing and using mods from here for a few months now. I'm not going to set this as a file either since I'm too lazy to ask for permissions on modifying someone else's mod. But will give a short guide on what I did to achieve a similar result.

So first thing is download and install this oldrim mod (I grabbed the bodyslide for cbbe [I use 3ba and it works] and racemenu [also what I use]).

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/89747?tab=description

1275251297_Screenshot2022-04-08233650.png.0429821df41bc5628c5242ec9ee7f94e.png

In the base version folder find the meshes section and I removed the actor, ears and tail folders completely (ears and tail become useless because the actor folder has a skeleton that messes with physics of special edition). I also opened up sse edit and removed most of the stuff and keeping anything labeled as My body intact. I also took a few to figure out a way to edit it in creation kit but the only thing that happened is it became form 44 instead of oldrim form 43.

171967011_Screenshot2022-04-08222113.png.2a8629f602cae227c34cb76c6ac24f76.png440471079_Screenshot2022-04-08222012.png.a919b6c27fc0f055d3a514d64cbb1de9.png

At this point when I was in the process is I could get the fur but it was all black and didn't look good. So I tried outfit studio and low and behold I found the settings to change the color and also can choose between setting it for hair tint or skin tint hence these two different color furs using the same character (my hybrid khajiit is still a work in progress because Im still adding mods and I wanna get everything modded before I start building my characters as I wanna make a character for every base game race, this fur set up caught my eye though and wanted to see if I could duplicate it).

760145757_TheElderScrollsVSkyrimSpecialEditionScreenshot2022_04.08-22_43_36_36.png.d47e2467ce0e41b698752be1f46688be.png875104950_TheElderScrollsVSkyrimSpecialEditionScreenshot2022_04.08-22.32_04_16.png.b8c9462474a03897efa4a24210c37f57.png554940585_TheElderScrollsVSkyrimSpecialEditionScreenshot2022_04.08-22_42_24_14.png.cf8b90b8f5e88c90479344680fdcc40c.png1576648959_TheElderScrollsVSkyrimSpecialEditionScreenshot2022_04.08-22_31_42_26.png.26e6dfd7528c69f5850cad087b8a925d.png

Anyway the fur is considered an armor in game with what I did and so I thought I would at least share what I did since the original poster been radio silent and keeping their secrets. Also now I gotta refind an armor since the fur clips the other armor I had for the character, but maybe a more revealing armor is on the table since fur.....

On 4/9/2022 at 8:19 AM, Monionandshadow said:

So as I get started with this I'll say this is my interpretation of what is done (I'm probably wrong), this is also my first time saying anything on this site.... Been browsing and using mods from here for a few months now. I'm not going to set this as a file either since I'm too lazy to ask for permissions on modifying someone else's mod. But will give a short guide on what I did to achieve a similar result.

So first thing is download and install this oldrim mod (I grabbed the bodyslide for cbbe [I use 3ba and it works] and racemenu [also what I use]).

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/89747?tab=description

1275251297_Screenshot2022-04-08233650.png.0429821df41bc5628c5242ec9ee7f94e.png

In the base version folder find the meshes section and I removed the actor, ears and tail folders completely (ears and tail become useless because the actor folder has a skeleton that messes with physics of special edition). I also opened up sse edit and removed most of the stuff and keeping anything labeled as My body intact. I also took a few to figure out a way to edit it in creation kit but the only thing that happened is it became form 44 instead of oldrim form 43.

171967011_Screenshot2022-04-08222113.png.2a8629f602cae227c34cb76c6ac24f76.png440471079_Screenshot2022-04-08222012.png.a919b6c27fc0f055d3a514d64cbb1de9.png

At this point when I was in the process is I could get the fur but it was all black and didn't look good. So I tried outfit studio and low and behold I found the settings to change the color and also can choose between setting it for hair tint or skin tint hence these two different color furs using the same character (my hybrid khajiit is still a work in progress because Im still adding mods and I wanna get everything modded before I start building my characters as I wanna make a character for every base game race, this fur set up caught my eye though and wanted to see if I could duplicate it).

760145757_TheElderScrollsVSkyrimSpecialEditionScreenshot2022_04.08-22_43_36_36.png.d47e2467ce0e41b698752be1f46688be.png875104950_TheElderScrollsVSkyrimSpecialEditionScreenshot2022_04.08-22.32_04_16.png.b8c9462474a03897efa4a24210c37f57.png554940585_TheElderScrollsVSkyrimSpecialEditionScreenshot2022_04.08-22_42_24_14.png.cf8b90b8f5e88c90479344680fdcc40c.png1576648959_TheElderScrollsVSkyrimSpecialEditionScreenshot2022_04.08-22_31_42_26.png.26e6dfd7528c69f5850cad087b8a925d.png

Anyway the fur is considered an armor in game with what I did and so I thought I would at least share what I did since the original poster been radio silent and keeping their secrets. Also now I gotta refind an armor since the fur clips the other armor I had for the character, but maybe a more revealing armor is on the table since fur.....

No secrets. You're pretty much where i'm at, except your shell is pulled from a pre-existing mod.

I've found that i can use only two types of Shader tints for the fur that will work:

1. Use Skin Tint

This is preferred, as setting the fur "shells" as skin tint will allow it to sync with the main body texture tint, so no off-coloring or looking strange (like my original post)

The issue is with setting it to Skin Tint, is if i use the Hair_Soft_Lighting flag on the mesh, it appears to work in game exactly as desired whereby, changing the skin tint via the race menu slider, changes the fur tint as well. Perfect.

However, the moment the player changes full body armor, the fur "resets" to a default tint. Looking strange again.

From what I  understand, if you want to use "Skin Tint" and it retain the tint data, you must also use "FaceGen_RGB_Tint" flag. Unfortunately, if you enable this flag on the mesh, it will ruin the "fur" appearance of the shells, making them look solid in-game, so pretty much broken.

2. Use Hair Tint

Compared to using Skin Tint, this works with the least disruption (And fixes the previous "resetting on armor change" issue. Yay!) but it has it's drawbacks:

1. the fur shells are synced to the players hair, meaning if you change skin tint (Say, darker skinned) lighter fur can just stand out and look odd. This poses issues to NPC Khajiits in game. (Bare in mind, i'm trying to add fur to ALL Khajiits, so NPC issues are a problem for me as NPC Khajiits and Player Khajiit share the same body mesh)

2. NPC's have further issues wereby their fur seems to want to sync to what the player has. So lets say you make a khajiit with light "skin" and light "fur" (both being similar to stop any strange appearance)  NPC khajiits in-game will also have this problem, which can look very ugly when they can have dark skin, light skin etc.

Each race in my game have a unique body assigned to it, hence i'm able to make a seperate "furry" body for khajiits, but unfortunately, this issue is whats held me back for some time as, my mod is aiming to add fur to ALL khajiits in the game (Starting with females)

Edited by Watchamacallit

Yeah I'm not experienced enough to make a mod from scratch yet and for what I did I looked at every mod possible to see what could give a similar look hence how I found my method. I did take a pause from what I was doing with it for now but was planning to see if I could find away to force equip the specific armor to all khajiit but life and also trying to still mod my Skyrim to look the way I want (equipping the fur to all would be a bonus for my Skyrim if I can get it to work) got in the way. 

On 2/24/2021 at 1:24 PM, Watchamacallit said:

Her fur is tied to skin tone (uses skin tone shader type) and slot 60, it's referenced in a ESP and khajiits also use their own custom body (via another seperate mod)It all works fine, and the fur "mesh" object changes tone in relation to her skintone correctly.

however, the moment she then equips/unequipts armor, her fur returns to a default "White" appearance which looks odd.

Here's another pic of the "bug" :

ScreenShot1.png.cfe732bdae22cc129410919b3ca45337.png

As you can see, it's a bit wrong, lol.

Any ideas on what the cause is? I've no idea and cant seem to get over this problem. It must be solvable surely as mods like Schlongs of Skyrim incorporate a custom mesh (penis) and it syncs with skin and (importantly) retains its tone on equipt/unequipt of armors. Can anyone offer any help?

So... Schlongs of Skyrim I believe uses a cloak spell to apply the penis to the character, this allows it to be applied constantly, even if it's removed.

I experienced an issue with a mod that removed the cloak spell from Schlongs of Skyrim and replaced it with Spell Perk Item Distributor, at the time it seemed like a good idea, less cloak spells = better, and the penis would be applied normally when selecting it, however when I wore armour that covered that slot, SOS would remove the penis so it doesn't clip through the armour (that's normal behaviour), but because the cloak spell was removed, and SPID only runs once on load, it meant that the penis was never re-added when removing the armour.

It made female on futa scenes very awkward because no one has a penis, they were just sort of thrusting at the air...

Perhaps if you have a cloak spell, it will reequip slot 60 when it's free.

(I'm not a modder so I have no idea if what I'm saying will work, this is just what I've observed)

9 hours ago, SwissxPiplup said:

So... Schlongs of Skyrim I believe uses a cloak spell to apply the penis to the character, this allows it to be applied constantly, even if it's removed.

I experienced an issue with a mod that removed the cloak spell from Schlongs of Skyrim and replaced it with Spell Perk Item Distributor, at the time it seemed like a good idea, less cloak spells = better, and the penis would be applied normally when selecting it, however when I wore armour that covered that slot, SOS would remove the penis so it doesn't clip through the armour (that's normal behaviour), but because the cloak spell was removed, and SPID only runs once on load, it meant that the penis was never re-added when removing the armour.

It made female on futa scenes very awkward because no one has a penis, they were just sort of thrusting at the air...

Perhaps if you have a cloak spell, it will reequip slot 60 when it's free.

(I'm not a modder so I have no idea if what I'm saying will work, this is just what I've observed)

In all fairness i am starting to think i'm going ot need some sort of script or in-game magic effect to try and mitigate this issue, or at least try and get it to keep fur synced with a khajiit's body (that will also need to be ran on khajiits)

How to go about doing this though is another matter as it's an element i've not delved in before. Neither do I know scripting.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:57 AM, Watchamacallit said:

In all fairness i am starting to think i'm going ot need some sort of script or in-game magic effect to try and mitigate this issue, or at least try and get it to keep fur synced with a khajiit's body (that will also need to be ran on khajiits)

How to go about doing this though is another matter as it's an element i've not delved in before. Neither do I know scripting.

I would have suggested trying to contact Smurf or VectorPlexus as your mod seems to function similarly to SOS, at least mechanically, but I wouldn't know where to begin in getting their attention; Smurf hasn't touched LoversLab since 2013, nor Vector since 2017, Vector doesn't seem to have been on their own website in a while either, it's possible they're still active in their Discord server though (I haven't been in there).

b3lisario took over the support of SOS at some point, so they may have been able to help too, but they stopped visiting LoversLab in 2017 as well, about a month after Vector vanished.

Scripts or magic may be the only options left here, hopefully someone with the know-how is willing to offer some help because I'm clueless.