Skyrim and frustration

My journey barely started and I already uninstalled the whole game, I followed a guide explaining how to install the game with the specific mods, I managed to install some perfectly and test them without a problem, but it came to a part that some mods gave CTD, but so far so good, I removed them without a problem, but then I went to install the compatible ones and they loaded perfectly, but when I returned to the game, the screen simply goes black forever, I followed some advice to go back two previous saves, for now resolved, but they returned to give black screen, I installed and uninstalled twice, I just give up trying to play, frustrated unfortunately.

It takes some getting used to. The first two builds I made were basically disastrous. The first one... didn't work. At all. The second one did fairly well, though it didn't look nearly as good as a lot of the screenshots people posted here, but only for a time. I got my character to about level 50+ and the game just chugged to a halt. Any time I got somewhere fairly crowded it just crashed.

Eventually I got the hang of it, though. I followed some guides, learned how mods work, learned the tools, even made some of my own mods. My current build works just fine and I'm cruising with over 200 active mods. Give it some time, learn the way things work even just at a rudimentary level, and stick with it. Once you get your game to work well it's very rewarding.

Modding a game isn't your typical plug n play. That's fundamentally thee #1 rule when it comes to modding. You have to understand that when getting into modding. We all weren't born knowing how to mod. We've all been through the frustrations ourselves. Take the advice given by Sarathis and look for guides. Keep asking for help. That's what people here are also for.

There is also one thing which is called Skyrim being Skyrim, meaning even if you done everything right, or you didn't change anything and still, Skyrim simply stops working. You need a lot of experience to recognize this phenomena. A quick example:

Recently I started a game and I had crashes. The crash log pointed to a mod which worked fine for years. I reported it to the modder, who said he didn't change anything about that part lately. I couldn't fix it, so I decided to start a new game without that mod (it was a fresh game anyway, in the incubating phase).

I couldn't, my game crashed right at the beginning of the character generation. The crash log now blamed Live Another Life. That was when I realized that Skyrim is being Skyrim. I did a file check with Steam, which redownloaded the basic esps. I cleaned them again and now everything is fine (well, I had to fix a couple of more issues, but now I have a stable game).

A few more examples for Skyrim being Skyrim:

- in another game I could not go to a specific mountain top, I got a crash when I got into its cell. I could not fix it it (it usually can be fixed). In all my other games that area works as usual.

- A quest bugs out even if the Unofficial patch claims it is fixed. Then you do everything that google says and still does not work. I got 2 of these particular bugs in the Dragonborn dlc. While I couldn't fix them, I could work around these bugs with console commands. Of course other times the quests worked as intended.

So yeah, it takes dedication and time to mod Skyrim. I'd advise to start small, just do a few smaller mods, less than 20. It is much easier to find the problem with a small number of mods. Then when you know how those work together, you can start adding more. And don't forget, removing mods from ongoing games is playing with fire.

Peace,

M

18 hours ago, kaimiya said:

I followed a guide explaining how to install the game with the specific mods

If you really want to learn about building a stable game and play with mods start small.

... When you start modding do not think you going just start modding and have 200 mods and have a stable game it just does not work like that... There is a real learning curve ... Gopher on YouTube offers some excellent videos on modding and how to create a stable game. GamerPoets is another one he offers step by step videos you can follow along on how to create a stable game.

Those two people helped who knows how many people with their videos and I am one of them.....

I remember being in your position, my early modding days were really frustrating. But as woodsman30 here said, there is a learning curve to this and it will take some time before you can do a clean install, load more than 50 mods and get it running without issues. Start slow, learn the basics, pay attention, trial and error, develop patterns and you'll be modding your game like everyone else. That's not to say you'll never again run into issues, you will, but you'll be better equipped to deal with them easily as you encounter them.

Patience is the first thing you need. Don't be in a hurry, don't try to force it, just relax and take it step by step.

Guys, I think I found out why the game is giving problems, I think it may have been the folder that I installed Skyrim on, how come I didn't pay attention to it before, since MO2 was warning me that it was the wrong folder, I'm feeling ashamed now, in anger I uninstalled frustrated thinking it would be a waste of time, but I think it was a small thing that was in front of me and I didn't take it into account. I swear this is the third and last time I try to play it with mods, but if it doesn't work, I will have to wait a few years to buy a PC with better specs, although my current PC is reasonably good, but nothing that runs everything at very high, but he runs pretty good at least.