Black screen on game start with Hook5

Brand new to TK17. I got the game, updates, and Hook5 from the post here. Installed the game, installed the updates in order, installed Hook5 from those files. Did not install the 7.5 Lua binaries as this is VX. As I'm brand new, not a lot of custom content added - just a couple of skin and pose packs.

When launched with OpenGL selected in the launcher, the game runs fine although obviously without Hook.

When launched with DirectX selected, the game window opens but remains black, then crashes after a minute.

Trying to piece together troubleshooting from the various fragmented guides has been a pain in the dick. As far as I can tell, everything is installed properly. I have the appropriate Visual C++ and DirectX packages. This guide says "choose a different core hook" as an option, but hell if I know what that means. I think it's unlikely that the few additional content packs are causing the issue as it's not even getting to the point where it would load them, except in OpenGL mode which works fine.

mainfx_errors.txt below. I see the words, but they mean nothing to me, except for "loading main settings failed". But, I don't understand why that would be the case, as all I did was put the Hook5 files where they're supposed to go - I haven't changed any settings or anything. So I have no idea what would cause that or how to fix it.

Spoiler

E:\Crap\Odd games\TK17\TheKlub17\
loading main settings failed
adapter 0:NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
adapter 1:Microsoft Basic Render Driver
requested: 1920x1057
requested Format: B8G8R8A8_UNORM
entering validate resources
shader compile failed:

effect compile failed
signature for fake primitive failed

Sounds like a hook 5 issue for sure, have you tried running the game just on DirectX and without hook5. Try hook 4 or 3 just to be sure it is 5 crashing the game.

Tryin to get this game to work with hook is a swing and a miss with some machines bud. The version included with the game you got is a newer update so try this one instead.

I'm not certain your game will run but its worth a shot. Plus I've found some room files can crash your game as well so, maybe remove the starter content for now to test. All you really need is the hook basic folder, if the game works you can proceed to add more hook related files.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/as78rguniap1v0d/hook5_basic_version+25.06.2017.zip/file

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...