Shapeshifter

When travelling through the mountains North of Whiterun, the Dragonborn comes across a unusual scene… A body in the snow covered in burns. On further investigation, it appears only the person’s skin is charred. The injuries don’t seem to be caused by fire magic. A dragon attack is unlikely to have caused this either. Even the snow hasn’t melted! What could have happened here? There’s an object in the snow: A strange orb. After picking it up, it feels like the orb radiates magic! But there’s no heat. Another dead end? Suddenly a disembodied voice can be heard!

“Well, what do we have here? How intriguing, you might be the only one able to unlock its full potential! What are you waiting for, mortal? Toss that thing into a smelter already!”

The Shapeshifter is a weapon mod. Yes, another daedric artifact…

As the story above suggests, you’ll first have to use the orb at a smelter to make the weapon itself. You can then restore the orb itself to its former glory as well. After that, you can change the weapon into one of the 17 different weapons at any time using the lesser powers.

The weapons cover all types and have unique models. Early game, the damage output will be OP since their stats are close to daedric weapons. They also have a custom enchantment (and the staff a similar spell) that can be unpredictable depending on the opponent.

A heavy and a light shield that fit the weapons appearance have been added. These can also be crafted at the smelter with a few pieces of ore if the corresponding weapon is equipped.

Arrows and bolts don’t have to be crafted anymore. The bow and crossbow will never run out of ammo. When changing weapon, the arrows and bolts left over remain in your inventory.

The treasure hunt to improve the weapons (and some extra stuff) is finished for now. How to start: After completing the quest “The Mind of Madness”, just walk a bit further down the hallway. The sign should be hard to miss (it falls over sometimes).

For those having trouble with the daedric writing, the translation of the riddles:

Spoiler

Butterfly

Spoiler

Butterfly.png.457f34c258290ac5d6f8c05767c8311f.png

Fire

Spoiler

Fire.png.f0d87efa7936ffc5c82d4084ceca0ba4.png

Gold

Spoiler

Gold.png.ae849c521501da9cf925636d10ce4e35.png

Statue

Spoiler

Statue.png.abf1610231478d0d3e8f96f9fee220fc.png

Wind

Spoiler

Wind.png.97d5e9163334d0dac6fe0f7b5b7a3d5a.png

Water

Spoiler

Water.png.f8439715578a645ddf38c588cc68a3a1.png

Snow

Spoiler

Snow.png.cafa2dc53a5e32b6cae631ba81203a43.png

Steam

Spoiler

Steam.png.b36b42bd748bfac85c15ba069ff15cdb.png

Two versions available:

File A : Lesser power for each weapon

File B : Only one power, switches to random Shapeshifter weapon

Only one file: All lesser powers are learned when the orb is restored.

If updating: Drop the orb and pick it up again to learn all powers.

With the optional patch, weapons will use proper animations if Animated Armoury – DAR version & New Weapon Types and Animation Support are installed.

I also added a keyword for scythe weapons.

Future plans:

- Adding more weapons (any suggestions?)

- Other events to continue “quest”

- Add side-effects from lore (devious devices, transformations,…)

The original models of the weapons are from various games. The models used in this mod are resources not created by me. As far as I’m aware, no credits necessary (correct me if I’m wrong). I only made some modifications and converted them to Skyrim.

Scripts made possible by all of the talented people both on LL and Nexus for their help, teaching me and fixing my poor attempts at scripting.

The weapon models are temporary actually. I'm still doubting to keep it lore-friendly (no guns) or try to make a portable railgun :smirk:

They will eventually be replaced by a collection of matching designs, this is far from the final mod I have in mind.

The enchantments should do diffrent kinds of damage depending on what creature you're fighting.

Is the opponent weak to fire, the weapon deals fire damage for example.

That said, it have only done a bit of testing of this feature (not main goal of the mod atm).

It won't break the game, but I can't say every enchantment will work every time :sweat_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 2:50 AM, Alfredo24 said:

This looks really nice, i insta-downloaded and i like the future plans ideas. Maybe it would be cool if the daedra lived inside the weapon so it talks to you and comments on things, kinda like a follower but is your weapon, would be pretty unique.

Where did you find it? And I love the idea of it being like a follower! 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MystOfDawn said:

It does seem to be a bit to well hidden :sweat:

I still need to upload new screenshots, will add some images to get to the spot.

edit: Images added! After taking a good look at the map, it's more North-West of Whiterun actually :sweat_smile:

Thanks for adding images. I think i would have never found it :D But atleast i was looking on right mountain :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 9:59 PM, The_Bloop5 said:

I have found the place in your screenshots, and lined up the picture perfictly, but there is no body, book, or orb. there is a unburned wood elf body nearby, but nothing else.

I know it's a late reponse.

Have you tried to fast travel somewhere and back to the location?

Maybe remove the mod and install again?

This kind of problem can be caused by anything from a bad install to Skyrim being... Skyrim :sweat:

• 1 month later...

I LOVE this concept. Seriously. Between that and the "True form curse mod" I can completely imagine using both together, with the weapon swapping type with the "true form". It would leave issue when it come to perks changing all the time, but that's a separate issue.

On the other hand, I'm not the biggest fan of the textures. The clear cut from rough iron to gold, the lack of different textures for the handles, and the lack of proper "sharpened" bit really make them feel blocky and detract from their interesting design. It's rather clear there is relief on the weapon itself from the images, but the simple texturing make it hard to appreciate.

Of all the weapon I can see, the sabre is my favourite, the cut here is much less disruptive and the gold actually give a filling of being "sharpened" where the rough iron make out the spine. This on in particular does give that feeling of sharp and dangerous weapon. Same for the scythe, it follow the same pattern of having one as the sharp part and the other the support, but the daedric word probably should be on the blade rather than the handle (like all the others wepaons).

and I can't wait to see where it lead.

If I read your description correctly, you're open to suggestion for more adventure? How about locking some of the weapons behind a quest ot gather "the 2nd part" of the ore? Only access to 1 handed weapons till then, and with two ores you could go two handed, give unlimited arrow/bolt to the bow/crossbow or have a 2nd 1h weapon to complement two weapons build.

I had missed this mod on release, but it looks fantastic.

It's definitely still a work in progress!

And any ideas on how to improve the mod are appreciated.

About the textures... I'm painfully aware :sweat:

I'm bad at texturing to say the least, but I was trying to follow the concept I had in mind.

Maybe I can find someone (more talented) to do a retexture...

The unlimited arrows & bolts are something I'm already looking into :smile:

As for the one-handed weapons: They'll get more options later in the story.

I shouldn't split... I mean spoil the surprise (I know, bad joke :unamused:)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MysticHydra13 said:

I was wondering how you unlock other weapons. I only have the base sword, and don't have any powers to change the form

Use the smelter again to make the rainbow orb.

It will give you the lesser powers.

It's sort of part of the lore :smile:

I'm working on the rest of the "quest" and it might be needed later on as well...

• 4 months later...