Sexout Sound Replacer

t3589

Remember it's not the NPC that matters, it's the voice type. In my experience custom voice types are not very common; since most mods don't completely voice NPCs up to and including sound sets they are assigned vanilla voice types so they have the generic sound set lines. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, of course, and in such a case the user would indeed not have any sound.

A way around this could be to maintain a form list of "Supported Voice Types" and if an NPC had a voice type that was not in that list it would play a generic backup sound (, perhaps) instead of the dialogue. Modders would be required to add their voice types to that list via BuildRef. (I haven't tested to make sure voice types can actually be added to form lists, though I don't see why they couldn't.) NPCs not on this list would probably use the system you were originally using, and as I don't think the Player has a voice type unique to them (again, not entirely sure) you might have to use the old system for them as well regardless of whether you switch over to the dialogue idea or not.

OK Alright...  I can dig it!

This blows the lid off.

You could pack blanks in a bsa and let them pick and choose to their hearts content.

PlayerREF has a voicetype as far as I know.  'playervoicemale/female'.

Thanks again.

As I'm sitting here thinking this through...  You know, this means creature sex sound customization as well?  lol

I've got a lot of work to do.  Will report back when I confirm it works at least for the player.  This should be interesting...

Well it does work.  This could open up a whole new realm of possibilities.  It took me forever to figure out how this would work.  Give me a text editor and a little code and watch me go to town, but geck dialogue is somewhat difficult for me to grasp.  I find it very hard to make the connections between the different aspects in the geck.  If it were printed out in code I could pick it up in two shakes...

I have a feeling this will take me some time to work through.  I can see why no one has attempted a comprehensive sound overlay.

Two things that concern me:

A. This would be wonderful for modders.  They'd know what to do to get their own custom sound sets in place and working without a hitch.  But...  for average joe user this wouldn't exactly be click and go.  I want to provide some kind of kit that allows players (not modders) to build their own sound sets in a way that they can install/uninstall on demand. ie. Drop sound files in a directory hit a batch file and rename the whole lot in one go, pack them up and install.  This method hinders that because of the file naming conventions.

B. This method is a lot more 'picky' about the format of the sound files themselves.  I don't want to have to make everyone run their sounds through Audacity or the like everytime they want to build a sound set.  Again, this is an obstacle to 'drop and go'.

That being said.  I can make arguments for and against the above.  So no need to go into that.

The know nothing player would definitely have to do more work to get started (at least until someone releases sound sets for it, which may never happen), but I think the benefits outweigh the need for simplicity in the long run IMO.

What do you guys think?

Hello I'm very interested in this mod is there a download for it any where.

Not just yet.  I'm thinking of taking this in a whole new direction.  I may release the one described in the OP as something temporary until I get this 'new' new one fleshed out.  I don't want to be too hasty as once I switch to this new method, I probably won't support the replacer I have now.

I want to avoid spending time trying to fix that one if there is a better one on the way.

I would not mind a stopgap, so you can get feedback on the sounds, especially if the more sophisticated one is down the road a bit.

Downside is some people do not read instructions and it may take a bit to disappear completely, but if you just put the temp one in OP labled as temp and make a full download thread in downloads for the new one once it is ready (or just wind up with it stuck in NG), it should be a temporary situation.

LOL running tests now.  This is amazing.  If I can pull this off you'll be able to customize sex voices for EVERYTHING.  Player sounds, unique NPCs, sounds by race, sounds by age, creatures, robots, the works.

If you have any suggestions for features now's the time to speak up.  If I don't get any feedback I'm going to decide for you.

Things like:

a. How many sounds should it support per set?

b. How many stages of sex should it involve?  I have been going by 3 stages so far.  Should there be more?

He could call the thing TemporarySexoutTEMPSoundtemporaryTEMPTestingTEMPORARYnotfinalTEMPtemp.esp and people would still not realize it was a temporary download.

You know it's true.

I've been thinking... the thing about voice files is that people could generate LIP files for them, and you could set emotions, no? That could liven things up a bit.

3 stages sounds good to me - at the moment sexout anims aren't staged at all to begin with.

I've been thinking... the thing about voice files is that people could generate LIP files for them, and you could set emotions, no? That could liven things up a bit.

3 stages sounds good to me - at the moment sexout anims aren't staged at all to begin with.

I thought lip file generation was broken in geck?  Wouldn't they have to create them in CSv1?  That's the only reason I haven't touched on that yet, but it would be great to have at least a moving mouth.

About stages.  I was thinking of adding forward support (for when/if anims are advanced like in PK).  That way the sound system would be ready for the different stages.  I'm using PK as an example of what could eventually come to pass.

CSv1 for Oblivion; I think it can also be done with the skyrim ck - I never was quite sure about this but I do hear it's possible. Doesn't have to come standard, I guess, if you need another game installed to get it done. Just something to keep in mind, I thought.

Stages: PK uses 4. If we got to the point where we can get enough anims to fill stages, it would most likely come from PK anyway. So yeah, maybe 4 would be better.

The very best part of this method is that I don't need to add sound assets for anything other than specialFX.  Brilliant.

Thanks so much for pointing me in this direction zippy.  If I can make this happen they'll have you to thank for an epic sex sound system.

CSv1 for Oblivion; I think it can also be done with the skyrim ck - I never was quite sure about this but I do hear it's possible. Doesn't have to come standard, I guess, if you need another game installed to get it done. Just something to keep in mind, I thought.

Stages: PK uses 4. If we got to the point where we can get enough anims to fill stages, it would most likely come from PK anyway. So yeah, maybe 4 would be better.

Right I just want to strike a balance.  Its a fine line between making it simple for players, and yet still allowing the more advanced users to do what they like to do (can't forget them either).

I think PK uses 5 for the sounds.  Stage 1-4 then 5 is a 'play this sound once and quit' stage.  I could do 5 I think.  I really like the idea of custom long playing orgasm sounds at the end.  I just need to find a way to trigger this without Lust, but without Lust there's nothing really to base it on (no arrousal).  I don't think I should be writing an arrousal system to go along with it.

I had the file the GECK needs to do the .lip files at one point. Unfortunately I can't find it, I think it might have gotten lost when I switched computers.

The problem is that I can't provide lip files default without default included sounds.  I think I'll just leave lip to the individual.  If I include any built in game sounds of course they'll have lip files already for the most part.

I could still put in the emotions though couldn't I?  They just wouldn't work until the end user creates their own lip files for their own sounds?

I think PK uses 5 for the sounds.  Stage 1-4 then 5 is a 'play this sound once and quit' stage.  I could do 5 I think.  I really like the idea of custom long playing orgasm sounds at the end.  I just need to find a way to trigger this without Lust, but without Lust there's nothing really to base it on (no arrousal).  I don't think I should be writing an arrousal system to go along with it.

Ah, ok. I was focusing on the fact that anims had 4 stages; orgasms should definitely be heard ;)

I think the arousal of the player is kept in an SCR quest variable. Npc's work with scripted tokens. That'd be the harder part.

I guess my issue is I don't know what it sounds like so it is hard to make recommendations.

I mean, I know we have, say, 20 oral sounds, but I don't know how repetitive or same-y between sex encounters they are, or whether it sounds like a lot of natural sex sounds vs. someone making wildly coked out noise.

Not having heard them, my knee jerk is more is better, but that is based exclusively off the low number of built in options seen in play, and not at all based on what you have.

ETA: Lust actually tracks orgasms and while I am not crazy about the must have sex part (which can be dealt with) the orgasm and building arousal is an amazing mechanic with a crazy amount of applications I kinda wish everything used.  If lust was used, the sounds could, right now, track along growing arousal and even account for female orgasm in the middle of sex. It would work really well. The problem is mods keep not wanting to use lust, which makes me sad. If say Preg had it then there could be a contest of pulling out after her orgasm before his if she was trying to avoid pregnancy or something, for instance. But it is not widely used now, probably because if you don't manage the wanting to have sex arm of the mod you can screw up story mods like Breeder, but the mod itself is a revolution on how Sexout handles sex just sitting there.

I guess my issue is I don't know what it sounds like so it is hard to make recommendations.

I mean, I know we have, say, 20 oral sounds, but I don't know how repetitive or same-y between sex encounters they are, or whether it sounds like a lot of natural sex sounds vs. someone making wildly coked out noise.

Not having heard them, my knee jerk is more is better, but that is based exclusively off the low number of built in options seen in play, and not at all based on what you have.

ETA: Lust actually tracks orgasms and while I am not crazy about the must have sex part (which can be dealt with) the orgasm and building arousal is an amazing mechanic with a crazy amount of applications I kinda wish everything used.  If lust was used, the sounds could, right now, track along growing arousal and even account for female orgasm in the middle of sex. It would work really well. The problem is mods keep not wanting to use lust, which makes me sad. If say Preg had it then there could be a contest of pulling out after her orgasm before his if she was trying to avoid pregnancy or something, for instance. But it is not widely used now, probably because if you don't manage the wanting to have sex arm of the mod you can screw up story mods like Breeder, but the mod itself is a revolution on how Sexout handles sex just sitting there.

The mod described in the op does this already with Lust, in fact it scales your duration timer with Lust and allows you to orgasm in the middle of sex via Lust.  Completely agreed on Lust.  It makes me sad too.  It's such a great system that adds depth and most of all 'challenge' to sex.  I like it when sex is sort of a mini game within itself (to a degree, until it gets 'arcadish').  I'm torn between adding built in Lust kind of functionality, creating a plugin for use with Lust, and making Lust a master (which I see as a last resort).

And when I say sounds what I really meant was 'voices'.  I have been working under the assumption that any set of sounds that are generally voice neutral are 'FX', while any set of sounds that are voice dependant are 'voices'.  Hell I have sounds that literally voice dialogue during the act.  I intended to cap the voice neutral soundFX at a relatively low number, while allowing for lots of voices.  Should I do this differently?  How much variety do you really need in a sucking/slurping sound?  I probably have 30 or less soundFX (not voices), but 100s of voices.  So maybe its just because I don't have very many of them in comparison that I capped them so low.  If you think we need more let me know.

I would agree, more is better. If there's more slots than sounds for a set, it can just repeat a few. On the other hand, if there's more sounds than slots, there's no way around it.

Excellent point.  The trouble with me is that I have enough sounds to feed an elephant.  I capped them at 20 in the original mod knowing full well I myself would have to 'do without' a number of my own sounds in my collection.

The number of sounds you should probably have depends on how often you plan on playing them and how long the average user's duration is set to.

The number of sounds speaks directly to the aspect of variety.  The more sounds I support, the more variety we'll have when they play.  But that's my point really.  How much variety do you need from soundFX (not voice sounds)?

I just don't see the need to have 80 different sucking/smacking/slopping sounds.  Of course I should add that I don't use the intercourse slopping sex sounds personally.  Or if I do they're very very subtle, almost to the point of not even knowing they're there until you remove them (very ambient).  The intercourse squishing soundFX just don't appeal to me so I may be biased in that regard.

I defnitely use the oral slopping sounds though.  But then again I've never really said to myself 'I'm tired of hearing these sounds over and over again', while I've thought that many times with the voiced sounds.

OK trying to plan this out and explore the possibilities.  Do we want theme music support?  It would work somethng like a movie soundtrack that plays when certain criteria are met during sex.  Then there could be soundtracks (with multiple songs each) for forced sex, romantic sex, oral sex, (cheap sex? hurry up with a relationship system damnit lol), etc.

Or is that going overboard?

Trying to think ahead here.  Suppose I add in some hooks that modders could tie into that play different sounds depending upon the kind of sex it is.  I don't mean the type, but the kind.  It will support oral/straight/forced.  What I mean is something like Romantic, Cheap, Drunken, Lustful, Pity, Angry, Bored, Submissive, etc.  If I could work out a standard list I could leave these in as hooks so modders could add more depth to their NPC voices during sex, instead of overwriting the default customizations of the player.

Just an idea.

Archived