Getting to the point in my life now where I want to lose weight, ever heard of tape worm dieting?

Of course it can help like many other sports. Stick with the one that makes you the most fun it is so far more easier to keep it up.

But to torment you further under the aspect of wightlose you should start on your food (solid and liquid). As already in many post mentioned it is the key step to get rid of those unwanted pounds

I know I'm kind of bringing this topic back from the dead here, but as someone who's experienced being overweight, I just thought I'd throw my opinion into the mix. 

First off, I'm with everyone else - the tapeworm diet is a terrible idea. 

My weight has fluctuated greatly over the years. As a child, I was very heavy - when I was 11 years old, I weighed in at around 180, which is close to my current weight of roughly 170. Of course, back then, I was well over a foot shorter than I am now and had nowhere near as much muscle mass. After puberty, my growth spurt helped distribute my weight more evenly, but I then had long stretches of time where I'd be set at the same weight, and then, without warning, I'd gain weight out of nowhere. I'm not sure what you weigh, lord dweedle, but the most I ever ended up weighing was 234 pounds. I simply didn't feel good about myself whatsoever. 

One of the best decisions I ever made in my life was to start being active. I was tired of feeling constantly frustrated with my body. And at 234 pounds, I was in the obese range, BMI-wise. I started jogging right after my senior year of high school, and it was torture at first. Luckily, I had a friend who was also itching to get into shape, so we spent that summer exercising together. I cut back on some junk foods and drastically limited my soda intake, and by some twist of fate, I managed to lose around 20 pounds in the first two weeks. 

The fact is, the heavier you are, the faster you burn calories through exercise. I won't lie, starting to exercise actively when you're obese is hard. It takes a lot of willpower, and it's all too easy to give up on. When I first started jogging at 234 pounds, it felt rather excruciating. My lungs hurt, my body felt ridiculously sluggish, and my feet felt awful. But the more I stuck at it, the easier it got, until eventually, it actually felt good

I originally started jogging in the mornings with my friend, but after that summer ended, he moved away. I didn't let that stop me. Instead, I switched my routine up. I would go jogging at night, just me and the music in my ears, and to this day it's one of my favorite things to do. There's something absolutely soothing about running at night, I find. I wouldn't trade it for the world at this point, as cheesy as that sounds, haha. 

Now, at a weight of around 170, I feel much better about myself than I ever did before. My energy and confidence rose drastically, and I feel more at ease than I have in years. Eating healthy certainly plays into it, as well, but to be honest, I don't really watch my diet. xD Never have. I just make sure not to over-indulge, limit myself to drinking alcohol once or twice a month, and I no longer drink soda. 

If you don't feel capable of starting out jogging/running, my advice would be to give walking a try. Just the other day, on a whim, I decided to go for a walk after school. I walked at a fairly moderate pace (a little under 4 mph) and ended up burning somewhere around 500 calories in 90 minutes. And that's at my current weight - at around 230 pounds, that amount would likely be 800 calories burned, give or take. 

I know first-hand just how daunting the prospect of exercise can be when you're overweight. It takes a lot of determination, but it's worth it. As for your Coca Cola addiction, as hard as it may be, I would highly recommend cutting it out completely. Maybe not at first. Try to limit yourself, initially, and work your way to not drinking any from that point on. Soda was never a huge factor in my own weight, but I still cut it out completely. I never drank anything but Diet, and that wasn't due to me actually trying to get into shape, either. I just find the taste of most regular sodas to be highly acidic and gross. I would average around 2-3 cans a day in my high school years, which I later limited to 1, and then, none at all. 

I greatly encourage you to start working out. Even if it seems painstakingly slow at first, progress is progress, amirite? Find some means of tracking your progress. If you have a smart phone, the runtastic apps are great for this sort of thing, and as long as you don't bother with the premium versions, they're free. :D

^ Couldn't agree more. Last year of Uni I manage to put on quite a bit of weight (the daily binges of takeaways and alcohol took their toll after four years) and exercise and eating (and drinking!) less were the way to go. People can tell themselves whatever they want, and believe what they will, but the only proven method of weight loss is exercise + dieting. That's a fact.

Yes, it hurts, yes, it takes A LOT of willpower. Running/jogging is a total bitch at first, your lungs hurt, your feet ache, your body feels rigid and terrible, but it pays off. So does eating less. Feel hungry? Good, that is a good sign. Learn to feel that way, for a while. First two-three weeks, your body and you by extension, are going to suffer. Food and a complacent lifestyle are like drugs, take that away, and your body suffers withdrawal. At the end of the day, it all boils down to willpower - don't drink that coke, don't eat that extra portion of food, DO run every odd day, DO make it all the way towards the end... in a few weeks you'll have lost a crap ton of weight.

Of course... willpower is something a lot of people lack, which is why 90% of people will fall through with the above recommendation, and why obese people exist. 

I was told I was pre-diabetic at the start of last year, which served as a nice kick to the crotch for me to get in shape. I was the type who had never seen the inside of gym outside of mandatory gym classes at school where I'd half ass it and do the bare minimum to pass. Never thought I'd be any different and all my attempts to change that failed or never got off the ground. The medicine I was prescribed to help treat the insulin resistance made me feel like absolute shit, and would in all likelihood do nothing but delay the inevitable, I had to do something more or I would eventually be dropping the pre- part of pre-diabetic.

I've since lost 80 pounds, I went from about around 250 down to now 170. All I did was cut most sugar and starchy foods from my diet and replaced the missing carbs with fatty foods to serve as a replacement energy source and because fatty foods satiate more so you end up eating less as well, and lets be honest, fatty food taste damned good. I started going to the gym as well, but not with any sort of regularity, usually just once or twice a week to run a mile or two on the treadmill, so I'd attribute most of my success to diet, though it certainly didn't hurt either. I've never felt better in my life as I do today, I can think clearly and I'm less tired as the day goes on, I don't know how I lived before and will never go back down that hole.

I'm less hardcore with the diet as I was before, as I've since reached my goal weight of 170, but I still moderate my intake of sugar and starches compared to how much I used to eat in order to maintain it. I found it surprisingly easy to cut out the sugar and starches as there's still plenty of good food to have outside of that if you look. Steak, eggs, bacon, ground beef, cheese, kale and asparagus became my staple foods, while almonds easily replaced my sugary snacks.

But more importantly, there is no miracle cure, don't kid yourselves. If anybody tells you you can lose weight without diet or exercise, they're either lying to you or you're just going to end up doing more harm to your body than good. "Tapeworm Diet" is pretty much straight out of 1920's homeopathic fads, the fact that any reasonable person today would even consider it is beyond ridiculous. Stop thinking there's an easy fix and instead reevaluate your lifestyle.

I'm now one of those people I always found obnoxious when I was fat, always telling you to cut back on the food and exercise. Fuck those people, they don't know me or my lifestyle. But I'm here to tell you now, they're right. They aren't mocking you, they're just concerned for your well being and gave you honest advice and the harsh reality.

As someone who eats like a pig and by saying pig I am insulting the poor things . My secret is don't drink sodas , there is just so much sugar in those and their taste is horrible .

Also by dieting you wont lose weight you'll just stop gaining it, you have to work out .

As someone who eats like a pig and by saying pig I am insulting the poor things . My secret is don't drink sodas , there is just so much sugar in those and their taste is horrible .

Also by dieting you wont lose weight you'll just stop gaining it, you have to work out .

Agreed, soda is probably the biggest one thing any one person could cut, it's nothing but empty calories and sugar that does nothing for you. Majority of people, dieting or not, could benefit from increasing their water intake as well.

It is understandably a hard thing to do though, sodas are a staple of most peoples day. I'll admit to having a near crippling addiction to energy drinks. I hated diet sodas but faced with the option of struggling past my energy drink addiction or simply switching to sugar free ones, I picked the sugar free option. It's not the best option, but it's absolutely better than doing nothing. I'm used to the taste of diet sodas now, but it easily remains my biggest shame in my weight loss venture. My many attempts to wean off of them I just can't make it through a day without massive headaches until I get my usual Monster Zero Ultra drink in me.

For me, honestly, cutting out Coca Cola could kill me.  I managed once to give it up for a month and by the end of that month, although in some respect I did feel healthier I also felt like I was ghosting out of existence.  

I have done abit of research though into the Zumba exercise stuff and it feels very tempting, also there is a club of people who do it nearby where I live.. hmm, do you guys think its possible to die of a heart attack doing such an exercise?  Or should I be safe?

How the hell can someone manage to get that addicted to soda?

Actually it is not imposible, addiction can be the over doing or consumption of anything.

I used to be a Pepsi Addict as much as that may sound pathetic it is possible.

I used to drink about 8 Liters of Pepsi a day, then I started to develop signs of kidney stones.

I would pee like every 5 minutes and then it would have a redish tone to it. Really scary thing tbh.

After realizing this I stopped completely and drunk none for about 2 years.

Finally a year or so ago I started again but no it is down to only drinking two liters a week, and occasionally a can every other day or so.

Good luck Lord_Dweedle with your tape worm diet.

Just try to keep at it.

But first STOP DRINKING COLA! :P.

For me, honestly, cutting out Coca Cola could kill me.  I managed once to give it up for a month and by the end of that month, although in some respect I did feel healthier I also felt like I was ghosting out of existence.  

I have done abit of research though into the Zumba exercise stuff and it feels very tempting, also there is a club of people who do it nearby where I live.. hmm, do you guys think its possible to die of a heart attack doing such an exercise?  Or should I be safe?

your Cola addiction puzzles me realy. Coffein can cause addiction and abstinence phenomenons but after 2 - 9 days they should be gone for good and you are free.

As a 21 year old you should not think about heart attack there is realy almost no risk for you, expect you have a genetic defect or birth defect but the likliyhood for that is also very low. Apart from that use your health common sense during exercise, don't push your body over the limit, but stop when you feel that you are near it, even if it means that you don't reach your goal for the day or can't finish the training unit (some people tend to develop there an unhealthy ambition). And drink enough during training (preferably water :P ) and you should be fine.

So go for it as long as you have fun with it.

Trust me, you won't die if you stop drinking Coca Cola. But 1 glass every hour is unbelievably bad for your health. That 'ghosting out of existence' sensation was probably a result of withdrawal, if you really do depend on it that much. I felt pretty weird when I initially stopped drinking Soda, and I only had one, sometimes two cans, per day. If you really do consume that much Coke, of course you're gonna feel a little off.

As for dying of a heart attack from exercise, no. You're the same age as I am; heart attacks really shouldn't be an issue, even if you're obese. 

If you can't motivate yourself from not drinking Coca Cola, you won't be able to motivate yourself to exercise, whatever you end up choosing, be it Zumba or anything else. Sacrifices must be made my friend... 

^this

Learn what willpower means, you'll need it if you want to change yourself for the better.

Hello there!

I was once obese, still not at my perfect weight but I dropped down a lot.

My story is a bit different tho, and it was really really hard for me to change.

Lets begin at age 16

when I was really young, I never had weight problems, so I Was pretty "normal" if not a bit underweight as my arms were really really thin.

However when I turned 16, I started jogging...a lot. I started with 2km every second day and ended up with 10km per day a few weeks later.

Needless to say I became super thin, one could see my ribs, the upside of it is that I was able to eat all the crap food I could, and I did.

Chips, Fries, Chocolate bars, 1.5 liters of coke every day and so on.

Didnt matter, I didnt gain weight, however I started to work out a while later, and became really really strong-looking. However after 4 years I got sick, heavily, ended up on cortisone and years later I realized that telling myself "its all just water" or "the fat will go away once im off/low on cortisone" was a lie.

Anyhow! So! My adventure started!

Heres a thing that is very very important!

There are 3 types of food, no I dont have a list.

1 Type barely elevates your blood sugar level

1 Type puts it in a medium range(up to max 180)

and 1 type puts it faaar above normal(180+).

Now, when your blood sugar lvl is high up, you wont be hungry, for a while, however as there is so much sugar in your blood, your body will do its best to get rid of it.

Aka lots of insuline, when that happens, it actaully puts out too much, which in return drives your blood sugar below 100, if not even below 80.

Once its below 80, you'll feel dizzy, you'll get a headache and you'll feel weak + you'll be really hungry, which in return will make you crave for things like chocolate or fries etc.

So you see, once yorue in that cycle, its "over".

The aim is to stay in the medium range blood sugar lvl, that way you'll feel satisfied and your blood sugar wont go down as fast as it does when its above 180, and the time difference there is extreme.

Now I simply avoid several food things

A. Sugar, yes sadly, I miss my soda.

B. Artificial Sugar, its part of what I call "bad carbs" that will make you crave for food in no time. I have no idea how to explain it, but it really is bad for your weight.

C. Margarine, if you want it on bread, use butter and for cooking use oliveoil or any other non artifical oil.

Foods that you really should intake, as someone else has said already.

Fruits and vegetables, you dont have to eat a lot of em.

But eating an apple after breakfast/diner/lunch will make a huuuge difference, you'll stay satisfied for much longer, which in return will cause your fat to get built off.

Also steak, yes steak. Steak helps.

Another thing you should try is working out.

It has several benefits.

A. Building muscles burns fat.

B. One always gets told working out doesnt burn fat because the movement is so limited, however thats only half the truth, its actually part of A. Even while youre just sitting there, your leg muscles will burn calories if you've trained it a few days ago.

The "official" saying here always varies. So its best to go by experience, thats mine.

C. Now this is a very important however very trampled belief:

Id normaly go a bit deeper here :>. But Im sure Id get a million bad responses from that so Ill make it short

When you work out, dont just randomly work out, have a target, and by target I dont mean lose x amount of weight, instead you have to actually imagine yourself in the shape you want.

Go look for pictures of built guys on google if you want, then imagine you yourself looking like that, walking around like that, getting response for looking like that etc etc. You will eventually end up looking close to that.

One thing here, one has to belief it works, not just know, not question, not distrust but actually really believe in it.

I know this sounds like a lot of horsesh*t, but it actually works, just try it while youre doing that, if you are working out that is.

PS, inbefore science response, I find that science is a failure to judge what can and cant be. After all, if you told someone 100years ago that there'd be astronauts living in space someday, they would have shot you on the spot.

So you can't quit coke?

Don't quit coke then.

But start drinking water. Ice water, actually, tastes better, and is better for you. Your body burns more trying to keep you heated up. Or so I've heard anyways!

Getting yourself a can/glass of coke? Also get a glass, fill it with ice, and water. Take them both with you to wherever you are sitting. Then, if you want a drink of coke, drink it. But if you are thirsty, and want simply somthing to drink, drink the water. Hell, really just do whatever you want, when it comes to how much of each you drink, but that way, you can at least introduce yourself to water, and hell, never know, could eventually be drinking more water than coke, with the goal of, when you feel like a coke, get it, but when you are simply thirsty, get water. 

I also like to generally always have a drink. I used to be on nothing but soda and sweet tea. But I just, one day, got tired of sweet tea. And replaced it with water. Now my main drink is water, and like I've said, when I feel like a soda, I get one. Hell, lately I've had days where I'm drinking a few cans, but still. I have that glass of water handy, for when I'm simply thirsty. I may not be skinny, but not fat. ~145-150 pounds. Heh, I want to get down actually, to at least 135, if not lower. I don't really want muscles.... cause I like being weak... but that is getting into a post for the fetish thread. :P

But hey, this works for me, in it's little way. And it is just a little thing, so if you are looking for a little step, hell, give it a try. Or take what I've said, and do your own thing with it! Whatever works for you. 

I am a coke drinker too... But I am active most of the time and can shed the calories... I drink at least a cup or two of ICE COLD water before every meal and IF I have a coke with my meal, It is mostly ICE...

Your body burns a lot of energy to keep a stable temperature.. 98.6 degrees.  

Reduce fats and carbs, do NOT cut them out... And like I said, find some sort of activity... Sex and Swimming, two of my favorites...