Alternative to recaptcha for logging in?

I'm in the process of banning google from my life. Unfortunatelly this site requires recaptcha for logging in. I've currently set an exception for this site, but am not happy about this and therefore have been limiting my time spent here. Besides, recaptcha often is as frustrating to humans as it is to programs.

I realize of course, nothing's gonna change just to make one complaining user happy. Just dropping my vote for a change here, in case others dislike recaptcha too.

1 hour ago, lynak said:

I'm in the process of banning google from my life. Unfortunatelly this site requires recaptcha for logging in. I've currently set an exception for this site, but am not happy about this and therefore have been limiting my time spent here. Besides, recaptcha often is as frustrating to humans as it is to programs.

I realize of course, nothing's gonna change just to make one complaining user happy. Just dropping my vote for a change here, in case others dislike recaptcha too.

this post belongs in this thread. :classic_wink:

Today, for example, at least 30-40 spam threads were created!
if there weren't any captchas, could be a spammer loverslab paralyze!

No, it doesn't belong in that thread, because i don't have a technical problem, and i'm not asking for support. I'm not asking to have no captcha at all either. All i said is that i hate Google and therefore hate recaptcha.  Google recaptcha is just one proof-of-work method of many.

29 minutes ago, lynak said:

No, it doesn't belong in that thread, because i don't have a technical problem, and i'm not asking for support. I'm not asking to have no captcha at all either. All i said is that i hate Google and therefore hate recaptcha.  Google recaptcha is just one proof-of-work method of many.

of course it belongs there!
here is another thread, however blocked. :classic_wink:

and another one. :classic_laugh:

• if I keep looking, Oh the next one! ?
2 hours ago, lynak said:

There are also topics for 'What's on your mind', or 'Things that piss you off'.

Both are viable for community conversation and to just get things off your chest. I believe this was the point winny257 was trying to make - no need to make yet another post about something previously posted as if it was a new subject.

I personally haven't seen a 'captcha' request in quite some time - perhaps that is because I'm a supporter and do use the browser to save my log-in information. Yes Google has issues, but considering the size of the company, I doubt avoiding their obvious things like Chrome and other top publicly used programs is going to keep them from finding info about you as long as you continue to use the internet as it now exists.

Google and many other companies is everywhere in our lives these days, it doesn't matter how much you 'ban' them from your life or how many extensions you have installed on your browser that blocks trackers.

You can't "ban them from your life", but you can minimize how much and what kind of data you can give them by using stuff like Privacy Badger and other tools.

If you're already minimizing the amount of data they can collect on you a captcha isn't that bad, i mean anyone can look your username up and find out that you were on this forum after all so it doesn't matter if a captcha saw you login here once or twice because it's not really interesting data for them to utilize

Spoiler

(unless you believe in some crackpot conspiracy theory that the US, Chinese and Russian government have backdoors to find out where you're downloading your virtual e-sex mods for Skyrim multiplayer)

And yeah, most Captchas are not only bad because of how they spy on where you're logging in but they're also annoying for everybody. However it's there for a reason, would you rather deal with bots spamming this forum? or spend 15 seconds doing a stupid captcha to login whenever you open an incognito tab?