I hate EA, please join me.

Airock

If you don't already know Simcity (2013) has an online-only requirement Origin DRM.  Because of this, many features have been cut or left out entirely. Now there are no local saves, and modding is impossible.  Fuck you EA, fuck you so hard cash rains from the sky and back to the people unlucky enough to have been conned into paying for your garbage.

It should be illegal to force us to use Origin over another DRM software like Steam which I support and use for Skyrim. Always online requirements for single player games is so Bullshit. I would never buy a game like that, no matter how much I loved Simcity 4.

If you've ever enjoyed a Simcity game, or cringe at the thought of always online DRM, please sign this petition:

https://www.change.org/petitions/electronic-arts-inc-remove-always-online-drm-from-simcity-and-future-games

Edit: Petition @ 52,000 signatures.  

So 52,000 x $60 = $3,120,000 worth of potential/obtained revenue for EA is unhappy with the situation. Petition has made it into the New York Times, and nearly all media and critic game review sites.

Amazon even removed the sale of the game for a period stating connectivity issues (probably due to a large amount of refund requests)

Update @53.5k now lol rolling em im,.....facebook is actually useful for something now :D

Update @70k

Nope it's not illegal and the delevoper has the right.

Either get used to it or you won't be buying PC games in the future. More and more games are going like that.

Personally I think it's a good thing.

It's not their fault that you didn't research into the product before buying it.

Signing a petition is going to do fuck all considering most people don't mind "always online" and or are always contacted to the internet.

Always online worked for Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.......

Don't kid yourself that online petitions don't work.  If they didn't, then try explaining why Biofart made the EC! As to not buying games as a form of protest.  Yep that works too as long as folks don't get weak kneed and knuckle under.  Believe it or not even Mighty EA pays attention when thousands of folks start yelling.  What they are "hoping for" is that all you will do is yell.  The best thing to do is both yell AND keep your cash in your wallet.  Buying games for developers that "DO" listen to fans also sends a strong message. 

Same thing applies to other venues.  The firefly series got its movie only because enough people hounded Hollywood to make it.

If enough signatures are gathered the chances of media attention starts rising and then companies have to do something.  What that something is will depend on what it is folks want and what kind of dollars it would cost to deliver it.  At the end of the day, no company intentionally wants to piss off potential customers and they certainly don't want a bunch of bad press.

Edit:  My take on required online for play DRM:  Go Fuck yourself with a nail studded bat Mr. Game Developer.  I play single player and I don't want someone F'ing looking over my shoulder while I do it! Requiring someone to be online ALL THE TIME to play single player is nothing more than spyware.  This type of BS is why I won't buy StarShit or DiabFuck 3.   Perhaps they are good games, but I'll never know, as I refuse to install a game that I can't mod or tweak to my hearts content for single player.  I'm PLAYING ON A PC AND NOT A CONSOLE for crying out loud after all!!!!!!!!! :@

DRM of any kind sucks ass, ESPECIALLY when it bans you from really, playing the game offline. It's ridiculous, and it's another stupid-ass trick EA pulled out of the tight sphincters to fight used games and piracy and all that shit. Now it's biting their asses hard. I don't buy EA games (except DICE ones) because they, like Activision are a shit company.

Nope it's not illegal and the delevoper has the right.

Either get used to it or you won't be buying PC games in the future. More and more games are going like that.

Personally I think it's a good thing.

It's not their fault that you didn't research into the product before buying it.

Signing a petition is going to do fuck all considering most people don't mind "always online" and or are always contacted to the internet.

Always online worked for Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.......

Of course I agree that developers have the right to protect their work. I accept DRM, and I actually enjoy being able to redownload my purchases. However, forcing you to be online after you've activated online, and being forced to stay on a server while in a singleplayer mode without local saving is a different concept altogether.

And I'm not suggesting DRM should be illegal, just when they try to tie their own personal DRM service to your purchase of their product. This will result in consumers having 20 different DRM platforms for game with different developers. Consumers are protected from tying of physical merchandise by antitrust provisions when its considered to be uncompetative to other companies, so why not digital products?

SC2 abd D3 are both multiplayer centric games, Simcity was always a singleplayer simulation game, and 0% of its fans wanted a forced-online singleplayer mode.

Also this forces all players of Simcity to be 13 years old or older, I started playing SImcity at age 10,...so I guess other kids wont get that chance in the future sadly. 

If everyone didnt mind always-online, the petition wouldnt have over 50k signatures man.

Let me add that for the first week the game was out the EA servers were down about 85% of the time. People are pissed who bought the game.

Meaning that singleplayer was down too for 85% of the time..

DRM has started to become more and more of a hassle. Always-online DRM is not going to curb piracy, it's going to increase it. People with shaky connections are going to find that the only way to play the game when they want to is to get it illegally, because pirates don't have to deal with this stupid stuff.

And for the record, piracy doesn't cost companies anything near what they claim it does.

EDIT: Solve for X to determine how much money companies "lose" on piracy.

X + 1 = 1

Always online worked for Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.

Isn't SimCity a single player game, though?

SC2 abd D3 are both multiplayer centric games, Simcity was always a singleplayer simulation game, and 0% of its fans wanted a forced-online singleplayer mode.

DRM has started to become more and more of a hassle. Always-online DRM is not going to curb piracy, it's going to increase it. People with shaky connections are going to find that the only way to play the game when they want to is to get it illegally, because pirates don't have to deal with this stupid stuff.

And for the record, piracy doesn't cost companies anything near what they claim it does.

The way to end piracy is to not charge the consumer $60 for a 20-hour game,....follow apple's model of charging 99 cents per song.  Make videogames universally $15. Something people don't feel as though they're being scammed.  

Console gamers pay $60 because they payed so little for the console hardware, but now charging $60 when I payed $1000 for the parts to make my PC is just not quite as justifiable. This is what causes so much piracy.  

I can tell you now piracy is the response to the digital market's overwhelming advantage over the consumer, mainly due to an immature regulation policy on the exchange of digital goods. So trade commissions and business bureaus need to get off their ass and set regulation for digital merchandise.  Because corporate bullying and piracy are both terrible for the economy.

This type of BS is why I won't buy StarShit or DiabFuck 3.   Perhaps they are good games, but I'll never know, as I refuse to install a game that I can't mod or tweak to my hearts content for single player.  I'm PLAYING ON A PC AND NOT A CONSOLE for crying out loud after all!!!!!!!!! :@

I have Diablo 3, normal was ok but way too short, then you get to do it all over again on 3 more difficulties, all it does is give enemies more damage more health so you have to use auction house/real $ auction house. Terrible in my opinion, kind of funny that they'd port it to ps3/ps4,unless they add a lot of content.

So EA apparently is giving out a free game to everyone who bought SimCity. Except they're doing it via a coupon code. So anybody can get the game by entering the promo code.

Guess what the promo code is. From a company so worried about people stealing their games. Go on, guess.

SIMCITY

Clever. Very clever.

F*ck it! I say let's go to EA headquarters and burn them alive while we dance around with sticks and torches in ours hands.

Being serious, I didnt'n bought the game, but I'll still sing the petition. It's better than sitting around waiting to have that shit on my favorite future games.

So EA apparently is giving out a free game to everyone who bought SimCity. Except they're doing it via a coupon code. So anybody can get the game by entering the promo code.

Guess what the promo code is. From a company so worried about people stealing their games. Go on, guess.

SIMCITY

Clever. Very clever.

Hang on.....They are giving away Rawbots? That game isn't even one of theirs....

SIMCITY

Clever. Very clever.

If they give fans a free game, and its not an offline Simcity or another AAA title, its just gonna piss everyone off even more.

Check out this NFL player's twitter feed about sim city,...read all his comments I loled pretty hard.  

http://kotaku.com/5989350/nfl-punter-kicks-the-crap-out-of-ea-and-simcity

I bet he's not letting them use him for any EA sports games haha.

@55k signatures. 

F*ck it! I say let's go to EA headquarters and burn they alive while we dance around them with sticks and torches in ours hands.

Being serious, I didnt'n bought the game, but I'll still sing the petition. It's better than sitting around waiting to have that shit on my favorite future games.

Its ok, I didn't buy it either. Still makes me angry because I wanted a good simcity after 10 years of waiting.....

Thanks for signing, every one helps. :)

couldnt get into simcity 4

only simcity I liked was simcity 3000, how does the new simcity compare to 3000?

I thought SimCity 4 was a natural progression from 3000.  I thought they both played very similarly.

Unlike this "Simcity 5 garbage" with only a 2km by 2km city size max (thats like a tiny ass town). You know why they made it that small? Server space issues. Everything is way too damn streamlined, no farming, no subways, no teraforming land. Just bullshit made for online stability. They should have just made this crap a facebook game, and not charged people $60 for Cityville with ok but still outdated graphics. 

I haven't bought an EA game since 2004 when they closed down Earth and Beyond Online. So this kind of crap doesn't surprise me at all. They have always been unfair and will continue to be unfair, because they can. They know damn well all the kiddies will buy there crap even if they scream about DRM or what have you. It's like the blind leading the blind. EA is as much in the market of buying and closing developers as they are publishing games. They've bought out and closed as many Dev's as there are Dev's in business today. What makes anyone think they give a rats ass about consumers, they don't even care about there own employees.

I agree, EA is utter asshole. Everything they touch is instant fail. They need to just stay with what made them rich; sports games. They know nothing of any other genre, and should stay the hell away from PC gaming. 

The most hated company is at it again.

I was actually looking forward for a new SimCity, since the first beta videos and reports were out. But after all the shit that went down, I won't buy that game, until it's in the bargain bin and freed of its flaws and maybe not even then. Online DRM, 1/4-size maps compared to the now 10 years old SimCity 4, cloud saving and computing, cutting of essential game features (subways anyone?), no support for modding (which was a big part of the fun for SC4) and the list goes on and on.

This doesn't really come as a surprise to me, but the SimCity fanboy side of me really wanted it to be a good game. Luckily I don't preorder games and usually wait for the first week of reviews. But things like "worst gaming launch ever", coming not only from game sites, but serious news outlets, the TV news(!), 50k+ online petitions really are a bad sign usually.

This EA anti-consumer behavior only affirms me in my strict EA diet. Hit them where it hurts, never preorder, don't buy and play their games (don't pirate either). Sales is the only score they care about, even if the game has a 2.0 metascore.

Archived