Hi People,

I have a bit of an issue lately, whenever I try to open my perk chart game just CTD without any error message. Sometimes it works, it looks like it maybe something to do with locations but whenever I try to open in an Interior area (Boston Police station, Rexford hotel or even Greentech genetics it just crashes.

I looked through the UI mods I have and nothing modifies perks except critical hits outside of vats. I am using HUD framework but I was using that for years without problems so I cannot see why it could be now? I have the latest version ( 1.0f-20309-1-0f)

Anybody has an idea what could cause this? I am just wondering if any mods from here would have that side effect maybe?

• 2 months later...

I'm now randomly getting this after I updated to the newest version of the game. I uninstalled DEF_UI, its HUD framework patch and other smaller mods associated with it, Valdacil's item sorting. Doing so fixed the CTD's I would get when viewing the data tab and map tab, however I still sometimes get CTD's when looking at the perk tree. I doubt it would HUD framework, but I may have to try uninstalling that too.

• 4 months later...

I have been having this problem for several games now. I finally decided to start manual updating the perks using the console. Last game I was able to enter the perks menu and update about 3 to 10 perks at a time, if I was lucky. I would exit the perk screen and save the game. If I tried again it would crash. I discovered that I can press "T" for wait with no problems, but trying to press T to go into the Perks area it would CTD. I read that you can use the mouse instead of the keyboard so if it is the T key. it would not crash. I tried that tonight and made into the perks, but as soon as I tried to click a perk it crashed. Earlier today I read that it might be swf files for the interface and there are several Perk upgrades that change the entire set of files. I installed one but as soon as hit T it crashed. I have probably played this game fifteen times and it just started happening about two games ago! It seems this is a major glitch that should be corrected.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:33 AM, dwharper34 said:

I have been having this problem for several games now. I finally decided to start manual updating the perks using the console. Last game I was able to enter the perks menu and update about 3 to 10 perks at a time, if I was lucky. I would exit the perk screen and save the game. If I tried again it would crash. I discovered that I can press "T" for wait with no problems, but trying to press T to go into the Perks area it would CTD. I read that you can use the mouse instead of the keyboard so if it is the T key. it would not crash. I tried that tonight and made into the perks, but as soon as I tried to click a perk it crashed. Earlier today I read that it might be swf files for the interface and there are several Perk upgrades that change the entire set of files. I installed one but as soon as hit T it crashed. I have probably played this game fifteen times and it just started happening about two games ago! It seems this is a major glitch that should be corrected.

If you're still having trouble, try see if Ulfberto's AAF Patch is causing the CTD.

On 1/3/2021 at 2:27 PM, Novatham said:

If you're still having trouble, try see if Ulfberto's AAF Patch is causing the CTD.

Not the OP, but just started fresh game with new mods and first time leveling up it CTD'd when opening the Perks tree. Looks like disabling Ulfberto's AAF Patch fixed it for me.

On 1/3/2021 at 5:27 AM, Novatham said:

I had some kind of problem with Ulfberto's AAF Patch and I uninstalled it right after it came out. I think it had something to do with Buffout 4. They said it was required, but everything worked alright without it. I think that was already after I was unable to gain access to the perks. Thanks though!

• 3 months later...

May need to repair your visual C++ and check your load method plugin preloader. Buffout not launching is very likely not correctly setup, check the logs to see if it's initializing properly.

13 minutes ago, aghjax said:

May need to repair your visual C++ and check your load method plugin preloader. Buffout not launching is very likely not correctly setup, check the logs to see if it's initializing properly.

And what do I check the load method preloader for exactly?

2 hours ago, Azzhat said:

And what do I check the load method preloader for exactly?

xSE PluginPreloader.log should have a line like: Load method is set to (for example -->) 'OnThreadAttach', loading method parameters.

Then list that plugins were indeed load further down in the log. If it's not set up correct it will mention an error an not a successful check.

6 hours ago, aghjax said:

xSE PluginPreloader.log should have a line like: Load method is set to (for example -->) 'OnThreadAttach', loading method parameters.

Then list that plugins were indeed load further down in the log. If it's not set up correct it will mention an error an not a successful check.

Okay found out that despite my thinking I did, I didn't have the 2019 version of C++ installed, game starts now, still crashes when opening the perks page though. Here's what Buffout logged: Also, checking the xSE PluginPreloader said that it can't run Buffout 4 because "<Buffout4.dll> Couldn't load plugin: [Win32: 'The specified module could not be found.' (126)]"

Buffout4.log

15 minutes ago, Azzhat said:

Okay found out that despite my thinking I did, I didn't have the 2019 version of C++ installed, game starts now, still crashes when opening the perks page though. Here's what Buffout logged: Also, checking the xSE PluginPreloader said that it can't run Buffout 4 because "<Buffout4.dll> Couldn't load plugin: [Win32: 'The specified module could not be found.' (126)]"

Buffout4.log 4 kB · 0 downloads

Post your preloader log.

2 minutes ago, aghjax said:

Hmmm using MO2? Either way change your preloader load method from OnProcessAttach to OnThreadAttach and try again. Make sure the TBB redistributable is in the game root folder. Something still isn't set up quite right.

Got it working. Thanks so much!!!!!! Changing the load method and remembering to install the TBB redistributable fixed it! I completely forgot about the latter from yesterday honestly. 

• 3 months later...

+1 

This problem  plauged me for some time. Constant perk chart crash.

Finally found the solution here.

Thanks much for sharing.

For the record, it was the TBB redistributable, from the Buffout 4 mod. 

Once I added the TBB redistributable to the root directory, no more perk chart crash.

Thanks again !

• 6 months later...
On 4/27/2021 at 8:27 AM, Guest said:

Hmmm using MO2? Either way change your preloader load method from OnProcessAttach to OnThreadAttach and try again. Make sure the TBB redistributable is in the game root folder. Something still isn't set up quite right.

Wow.  I've had this problem before and it came up again.  No idea how to fix it, but this worked.  The other file to download when downloading Buffout.  TBB redistributable.  I never saw that before.  Tossed that puppy into the root folder and when I got on game, went to skills screen, no crash. I love you man.  Thank you.

I did however lose all my saves before last save, but at least I got to continue without being stuck on the same level.  I can breathe again.

• 3 months later...

In addition to the link that Overcast451 has supplied, that of the Buffout 4 page on the Nexus, I will drop 3 links in this thread for the next person that has crash issues.

Proper Buffout 4 installation instructions can be found in the Up-To-Date Adult Oriented Setup Guide

Notepad++ is required for editing XML files (Don't use regular notepad)

You can also find manual Buffout 4 install instructions here, in the How To Install Buffout 4 And Resolve Most Common Crashes documentation.  Bear in mind that manually extracting Buffout 4 itself is only really necessary if you are seeing "error 126".

You should find that a properly installed Buffout 4 eliminates the Perk Chart crash.  It also prevents other crashes.  When a crash does occur, you'll find it in your Documents\My Games\Fallout4\F4SE directory.  Here's what to do next, if you want to take a closer look.

To scan your crash log for known issues, use the Crash Log Auto-Scanner.  << Download that manually, extract it to a folder on your hard drive where you keep your other modding tools, and install Python for Windows 3.10 or higher.  After installing Python for WIndows, you'll find that you can just double click the script in the crash log folder after copying your crash log file there.  This will in turn generate a scanned crash log that you can open.  I recommend also using Notepad++ to read these log files.  From there you can refer back to that document I linked earlier, in the third link above, to Ctrl+F the Known Issues found in the scanned log and find remediation tactics for your scenario.  The scanned log also contains suggestions of mods it find in your load order that have been found to be problematic for other modders.

Cheers

Oh, did I say I was going to drop 3 links?  I meant 6.

Edited by Sgt. Marge