Why does American comedy suck compared to British comedy? or am I watching the wrong shows.

Dude500X

Guest flingingfeces

I'm "Usian"   :P  and I tend to go back to the shows I loved when I was younger like Alf,  SNL,  In Living Color,  Bosom Buddies,  M.A.S.H,  Gomer Pyle and I Dream of Genie.  Todays shows just don't seem to have much originality.  I think Happy Endings is about the only thing I find remotely funny and probably because it has Daymon Waynes Jr in it.   I'm a sucker for quick witty humor or funny skits.  SNL has fallen hard in both departments and it's barely watchable imo if at all. 

Here's an MST3K sampler for those who haven't yet been graced by seeing it;

Season 0 (public access, before being picked up by Comedy Channel), episode 20: Last Chase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWPspYjPi3c

Season 4 (Comedy Central), episode 24: MANOS: The Hands of Fate (widely considered to be the best episode they did)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AJVZuQuD6M

Season 9 (Sci Fi Channel), episode 10: The Final Sacrifice (my personal favorite episode)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUYM3jkcrjg

THINGS TO NOTE

Several cast changes happened between these episodes. Servo will have a different voice in MANOS, Crow will have a different voice in Final Sacrifice, Joel will be replaced by Mike in Final Sacrifice, as will those doing "the experiments" (AKA torturing with bad movies).

What an odd thread.

The overwhelming majority of both American and British comedy is crap. But who cares, the good stuff is pretty damn amazing wherever it comes from.

On the American side, as just a tiny sample from the last decade, you've got Arrested Development, Parks and Recreation, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Whitest Kids you Know, Portlandia, The Colbert Report, the Daily Show, Modern Family, Curb your Enthusiasm, Better off Ted, The League, Louie, Archer, The Venture Brothers...you get the picture.

Now, the American shows generally produce 2-4 (13 to 24 episodes is typical) times the number of episodes per year that the British shows produce (between 4 and 12 every 1 to 2 years appears to be typical), and I think that some of the British shows benefit from the tight scripting that approach generally requires.

Maybe it's because we expect America to have the best everything and I know they almost excel at it.

But it all comes down to a matter of perspective. Take Japan for example. You might see it as THE source of anime (robots, cars whatnot). People love it, and then their are people like me who see the absolute dark side of that culture with all those horrible stereotypes that are shunned by western culture. It's the reason why we can't have Child Army mod on this site.

For Brittan, we are introduced to so many awesome shows (Dr. Who) that the horrible shows never became as popular. I can't compare with the TV show counterparts like American Idol because I know both shows had some real talent. Brittan had a dog show within their Idol that is currently loved, but America also had a fantastic dog show too. Personally, I think America is overflowing with great shows. Ever watch Key & Peele or The Colbert Report?

Archived