Why does American comedy suck compared to British comedy? or am I watching the wrong shows.

Dude500X

Guest Plastrader

bring out your dead... bring out your dead...

But I'm not dead yet!!

About "Black books" with Dylan Moran ,Bill Bailey and Tamsin Greig.

I found that sitcom by mistake whilst searching for a ww2 movie with a similar name.

Well I am British, and tbh I like both American and British Comedy, I love Blackadder/Monty Python/MTW/QI etc. But I also enjoy/ed Friends/BBT/South Park, Simpsons, American Dad, FG etc. Loved Fresh Prince when I was a kid =/. American comedy is a bit different, but certaintly doesnt suck

I really want someone to make a GOOD British equivalent of Family Guy  =/

Ehehe, Japan, I have to say they have some funny shows, Takeshi's castle -.-

I think the difference between British and American humour is that the former is a lot more experimental and untamed in nature, willing to offend and take risks, while the latter to me seems a little sterile and stagnant. This is primarily, I think, why American cartoons are funnier, but British TV shows are better. Think of it - The Simpson, South Park, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, American Dad, Bob's Burgers - these are all funny because of their irreverent, politically incorrect and witty and unabashed social satire and political commentary. The same holds for British "mainstream" humour - starting with Monty Python, and then going on to things like Dad's Army, Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers and these days pretty much anything - whether it be prime time TV with Jimmy Carr or Jonathan Ross, late night shows such with Stephen Fry, David Mitchell and even Charlie Brooker. Throw in a bit of Frankie Boyle, and you're well on the road to offense, and obviously by extension, hilarity and success!

By contrast, American humour (mainstream) seem to be to be very cautious, contained and "clean". The real issues of the day are, for the most part, ignored, and you're left with funny, but ultimately unmemorable shows like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, The Office, etc. Go give an example, here's some examples of British Comedy at its best - which is ultimately, not being afraid to delve into controversial issues, laughing at yourself, and being honest. Honesty being the key word here:

What we think of immigration:

We talk about the war:

We aren't afraid to tell kids how it really was with The Phantom Menace:

We recognise the news is full of shit:

We know our facts about fat people:

We know rich people for what they really are:

We understand the pressures of finding employment:

And lastly, we know the Jews are really to blame for all the world's problems!  :P 

So yes, in sum, that is why I think British humour is best - we aren't afraid to laugh, and laugh hard at that. 

British comedy is comedy. American comedy is comedy. It's all according to taste (or lack thereof).

If you want funny animation comedy Have a look at "Archer"   Sexy and funny. More than a few times I have shot some drink from my nose laughing at Sterling and Lana, et al.

Hands down the best in animated laughter. And Lana Kane (Voiced by Aisha Tyler) is a riot!

For my own part, I'm careful to refer to my country as the US. I don't call us Americans, I call us US citizens. I think we should be called US-ians, or "Usians".

Anyway, I tend not to like comedy anyway, but the American comedies I do like are things like Kids In The Hall, M*A*S*H, MADtv, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Malcolm in the Middle. I do feel that most modern comedy isn't that funny, but then I feel the same way about most modern British comedy. I especially don't care for British comedy that relies heavily on references to British culture. If I can't get the references, I'm not going to get the jokes.

why i cant understand is why people keep referring America as the US. im a little tired of it, and grumpy.

I can tell you're a Latino because of that resentment. No two ways about it brother, ipso facto everybody knows "America" to mean "United Stated" - that's just how it is, regardless of the fact that "Americans" really, can and should mean the inhabitants of the entire bloody continent, and not just a part of its northern tip, but that's how it is!  ;)

Chancellor, I just read your post up there with all the video clips, and I have to say that if you really think Friends is what people in the US consider good comedy, you don't know anything about the US.

Awh c'mon QB, from the entire post you have to take THAT home lol? I was generalising - point is, whether you like it or not, that is one of the worldwide renown sitcoms which pretty much sums up US comedy in foreign eyes. I know, it isn't that funny - I've said so myself - but the reputation is there.

What a weird reputation. Ask most people over here, they'll agree it's a pretty shit show.

As for what you said about comedy that takes risks, have you not see The Whitest Kids You Know? Or It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? Wonder Showzen? I admit I don't watch much TV, but I made it a point to watch those once someone showed me episodes. They're hilarious, and they take risks as great as the shows you posted clips from.

What a weird reputation. Ask most people over here, they'll agree it's a pretty shit show.

As for what you said about comedy that takes risks, have you not see The Whitest Kids You Know? Or It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? Wonder Showzen? I admit I don't watch much TV, but I made it a point to watch those once someone showed me episodes. They're hilarious, and they take risks as great as the shows you posted clips from.

Never even heard of one of those, which I think says a lot about foreign awareness as to what real "United States Citizens" consider funny. The airtime is just not the same, I presume. Having said that, now that you've mentioned them, I'll give them a try - I'm always on the lookout for funny shows, regardless of origin,

why i cant understand is why people keep referring America as the US. im a little tired of it, and grumpy.

I can tell you're a Latino because of that resentment. No two ways about it brother, ipso facto everybody knows "America" to mean "United Stated" - that's just how it is, regardless of the fact that "Americans" really, can and should mean the inhabitants of the entire bloody continent, and not just a part of its northern tip, but that's how it is!  ;)

Mexican sounds better. Anyway, i know it will be always be that way, we latin americans will have to live with it. im just pointing out that it bothers me, a little.

as for the topic, i consider UK humor and US humor pretty good each. of course not all shows are gems but i can always choose when im in the mood. mexico has its own comedy style, but the language make it unique, unluckily its a little shabby but still fair.

Guest Plastrader

I'll probably get headslapped for this, but I love Jeff Dunham.

I was about to post "Achmed the dead terrorist".

I think Jeff Dunham is funny too.

Archived