How can I have multiple installations of Skyrim SE?

I really hate how every now and then I'll get the feel to install a bunch of sexlab shit and kinkify my game, make all my followers big tittied milk machines, etc. and then after some uh, "exercises" and afterwards I'll feel like virgin Mary or some religious figure and want to cleanse all that nasty unholy shit from my game from snipping all my skyrim guys, uninstalling cbbe, y'know the usual holy cleansing

I just wanna have 2 installs of skyrim se, one for fap, another for actually playing the game sensibly while both of the installations have mods

I use Vortex

The way i do it since i ain't an MO user is simply making a copy of SSE in a different folder (backing up the documents folder and load order files as well) and simply switching between them whenever i want, that way i have a version purely immersive without unnecessary sex mods and another version full of sex mods only . if you have the space for it on your HDD or SSD go for it.

it's also useful when needing to start modding from a fresh install again without having to re-download the game and take the time to clean the masters since it's already done.

Just now, Taki17 said:

How about using MO and utilizing its profiles feature?

I've really been thinking whether I should switch to MO2 instead of Vortex, what are the advantages?

And Profiles work and all but it would be nice if it would toggle and disable enbs and external stuff like dll loader

Just now, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

MO2. Profiles or multiple portable instances. You have 1 Skyrim SE install through Steam as per usual, but all your mod files are preserved separately in each profile/instance.

But can you switch ENBs and stuff like that in with the profile thing?

Just now, PraedythXVI said:

The way i do it since i ain't an MO user is simply making a copy of SSE in a different folder (backing up the documents folder and load order files as well) and simply switching between them whenever i want, that way i have a version purely immersive without unnecessary sex mods and another version full of sex mods only . if you have the space for it on your HDD or SSD go for it.

it's also useful when needing to start modding from a fresh install again without having to re-download the game and take the time to clean the masters since it's already done.

Hm, yeah this could work, I have a 3tb hdd lole but wouldn't that fuck up your mod manager? Because your rearranging the pluigins externally or whatever

14 minutes ago, LLabUser999 said:

Hm, yeah this could work, I have a 3tb hdd lole but wouldn't that fuck up your mod manager? Because your rearranging the pluigins externally or whatever

I do not use mod managers on my first install anymore once i start building my second setup so i only move the first install to a new folder once i'm sure i won't be adding complex mods to it anymore.

i have all the mods i use backed up so i don't have to re-download them and also since i got frustrated with mod authors removing or hiding their mods and also because i've got the space to keep them all anyway, and even if i had to re-download all the mods i use it would only take me a few hours since i can download 100+ gigs in like half an hour, and after modding so much I've sort of memorized the order in which i install my mods so remaking my first install from scratch wouldn't take too long...

Edit: i don't know which mod manager you're using but i'm pretty sure you can have two separate installs of the same mod manager or two different mod managers if you're that bothered about it.

Just now, PraedythXVI said:

I do not use mod managers on my first install anymore once i start building my second setup so i only make move the first install to a new folder once i'm sure i won't be adding complex mods to it anymore.

i have all the mods i use backed up so i don't have to re-download them and also since i got frustrated with mod authors removing or hiding their mods and also because i've got the space to keep them all anyway, and even if i had to re-download all the mods i use it would only take me a few hours since i can download 100+ gigs in like half an hour, and after modding so much i've sort of memorized the order in which i install my mods...

Hm, I think I'll shy away from that, I like my mod organizer .-. but thanks for the reply

3 minutes ago, LLabUser999 said:

Hm, I think I'll shy away from that, I like my mod organizer .-. but thanks for the reply

? i get why you're shying away from that, to be honest now that i've explained it, it sounds complicated even to me lmao yet i find this method more comfy and simple..weird... anyway i'd use MO2 aswell but i'd rather not spend my time learning how to use it until i see the 160+ issues it has reported on github finally gone... until then i'll stick to my method and the use of nexus mod manager community edition.

53 minutes ago, LLabUser999 said:

But can you switch ENBs and stuff like that in with the profile thing?

No, because MO2 doesn't touch files in Skyrim SE folder, only stuff in Skyrim SE\Data. I'm not sure if Vortex can handle files outside of Data, but if it does then there you have it. I think Vortex also has a profile feature, but I'm not familiar with its capabilities.

Either way, switching ENB presets is as easy as moving some files and TBH I would use the same preset across my different profiles so that's not an issue for me.

Just now, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

No, because MO2 doesn't touch files in Skyrim SE folder, only stuff in Skyrim SE\Data. I'm not sure if Vortex can handle files outside of Data, but if it does then there you have it. I think Vortex also has a profile feature, but I'm not familiar with its capabilities.

Either way, switching ENB presets is as easy as moving some files and TBH I would use the same preset across my different profiles so that's not an issue for me.

Hm alright, is it possible to switch over to MO2 from Vortex while keeping the modlist managed? Or should I redownload everything through MO2

7 minutes ago, LLabUser999 said:

Hm alright, is it possible to switch over to MO2 from Vortex while keeping the modlist managed? Or should I redownload everything through MO2

I don't know how Vortex manages the mod files. It could be as easy as copy&paste a couple of folders or as convoluted as Vortex wants. In MO2 each mod is installed under "Mod Organizer 2\mods"(if you're using a portable instance) in the "mods" folder you'll find each mod as its own folder (for example the Sexlab Framework files would be inside "MO2\mods\Sexlab framework"). If you find something like that in Vortex you can try to place these folders in MO2\mods.

But if you have no experience using MO2 or Vortex you might want to just reinstall all your mods. And learn about whatever mod manager you want to use. BTW checking with uncle Google, Vortex has a profile system too, so if your only reason to switch to MO2 is profiles... I recommend MO2 above anything else, but if you don't learn how to use it is worthless, same applies to every mod manager or software in general.

@LLabUser999

Seeing as the people here are mentioning the multiple profiles for MO2 I figured I would just point out since you mention you use vortex that this is also possible to with vortex as well. Simply google vortex mod manager profiles should give you some videos on how to get that going. Its really quite simple but watching a video on it will be easier to figure it out than me typing out how. Also this seems like a easier way to do things than switching mod managers and figuring out how to import all the mods or redownloading them all on MO2. But yeah just figured I'd save you the hassle by letting you the same feature exists on vortex too.

Edit just read dontknows post and realized he said basically everything I did so yeah what he said lol.

5 hours ago, sparral said:

@LLabUser999

Seeing as the people here are mentioning the multiple profiles for MO2 I figured I would just point out since you mention you use vortex that this is also possible to with vortex as well. Simply google vortex mod manager profiles should give you some videos on how to get that going. Its really quite simple but watching a video on it will be easier to figure it out than me typing out how. Also this seems like a easier way to do things than switching mod managers and figuring out how to import all the mods or redownloading them all on MO2. But yeah just figured I'd save you the hassle by letting you the same feature exists on vortex too.

Edit just read dontknows post and realized he said basically everything I did so yeah what he said lol.

Ah, thank you! This will work great!

• 1 month later...

with multiple login accounts otherwise you only get one set of ini's, one load order and one save folder. It's possible on one login account but each install would have to have the same mods and load order with shared saves. Unless you want to get good with a hex editor.

7 hours ago, Todd420 said:

with multiple login accounts otherwise you only get one set of ini's, one load order and one save folder. It's possible on one login account but each install would have to have the same mods and load order with shared saves. Unless you want to get good with a hex editor.

Ah, good try Todd, trying to get people to buy the game in more than one Steam account just to play different modded versions?

No, as other and myself said before, you can have a single game installed and several instances/profiles with mod managers such as MO2 or Vortex. Different loadorder, mods, even ini and save files (at least in MO2, don't care about Vortex). No need for that hex editor voodoo, what would you even edit?

1 hour ago, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

Ah, good try Todd, trying to get people to buy the game in more than one Steam account just to play different modded versions?

No, as other and myself said before, you can have a single game installed and several instances/profiles with mod managers such as MO2 or Vortex. Different loadorder, mods, even ini and save files (at least in MO2, don't care about Vortex). No need for that hex editor voodoo, what would you even edit?

Not at all.. I tried several years ago dontknowdontcare, the automated directory renaming takes too long to load. I don't work for beth and I don't really care for them, just one more corporation. The only way, bluntly to have multiple install locations is by applying no-steam cracks (made large address aware unless it's SE) after making unmodded copies and running windows scripts for renaming support folders. The hex editor would be used for altering support file locations in the exec as an alternative. My point is that it isn't worth it dontknowdontcare. Since you said it, show me where I'm telling this person to buy more licenses? WTF is wrong with you just making up shit I didn't say?

1 hour ago, Todd420 said:

My point is that it isn't worth it dontknowdontcare. Since you said it, show me where I'm telling this person to buy more licenses? WTF is wrong with you just making up shit I didn't say?

That part was just a joke about your user name. But I seeyou're too dense for that. As for the other things you say, I can't make any sense of it. What "takes too long to read"? MO2 instances/profiles have similar loadtimes and you don't need to have multiple instances of the game installed. If you don't know how to make them work that's on you. Just don't go around telling people to do things like it's the 90's when there are known tools to deal with this.

1 hour ago, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

That part was just a joke about your user name. But I seeyou're too dense for that. As for the other things you say, I can't make any sense of it. What "takes too long to read"? MO2 instances/profiles have similar loadtimes and you don't need to have multiple instances of the game installed. If you don't know how to make them work that's on you. Just don't go around telling people to do things like it's the 90's when there are known tools to deal with this.

So enlighten us.. What are these known tools for managing multiple installs dontknowdontcare. Show us how it's done. Multiple installs with different mods with unique saves or are you what your name implies?

Did you even read the previous replies before talking nonsense? Damn, I also mentioned it again when replying to you today.

Vortex and MO2 have a profiles feature. MO2 also has portable instances, where each MO2 folder is treated as its own self-contained version of the modded game, with local saves, its own ini files and of course installed mods with their own modlist and loadorder, and you only need to have the game installed once.

There, welcome to the 2011 technology and its miracles.