[mod] Copious Cocks

Copious Cocks

What better way to celebrate the upcoming release of a DLC that's all about talking to other leaders, than a mod to make those leaders fun to look at? Why, a mod that also fills an underserved niche, of course. That being people who like anthros, particularly the part where "anthro" means "man", and who like them a lot.

This release is aggressively untested. It probably won't blow up your computer, but it might do silly things when you play the game, as silly as a portrait mod can. In particular, right now, it's in a very quantity-above-quality state: Some portraits are very light and others very dark, some species are fairly internally consistent but others much less so, tons of portraits are cut off at somewhere other than the bottom, etc.. And I have no idea yet what this thing will do with the many species that I didn't test, like primitives or crises. But at least there are enough portraits to fill up a small galaxy without too much repetition. At current count:

Spoiler

accipitriform 24
bat 25
blue_jay 29
corvid 19
demon 22
dolphin_chonky 34
dolphin_unchonky 40
dragon_wingless 34
flamedramon 30
goo 23
horse 32
lithoid_dragon 9
lizard 33
mustelid 19
naga 16
raccoon 36
sergal 33
shark_chonky 26
shark_multicock_chonky 24
shark_multicock_unchonky 27
shark_unchonky 32
skulldog 10
snake 30
synth_aeromorph 30
synth_marine 17
synth_robot 15
synth_vadersan 23
xenomorph 20

I would like to post a list of art sources, but it's kind of extensive, so it's in the .zip instead as copious_cocks_art_sources.txt. If you want to support the development of this mod, go give some money to those people.

The main mod will simply add the new species to the game. If you prize consistency, you can also add in the copious_cocks_no_default_random_spawns to disable the default Paradox species from spawning in galaxy generation.

I clearly really hadn't tested it much either when I posted this. For one thing, I had the game on mute, so I missed that every species was using human_male_greetings_01 as their greeting voice. It gets old surprisingly fast.

I uploaded 0.1 which improves on that. Other headline features:

- Split off lizard_collared into a new species because this guy (MonroeTheLizard's character) has a really distinctive look even by this mod's standards.

- Added species: Mantis.

- Minor fixes and additions.

0.2 is out, with:

- Added some more dolphin portraits with generally better crops, split non-orcas into a new species

- Added better naga portraits, removed some of the most stylistically inconsistent ones

- Added an event where you'll find presapient nagas; so far the only presapient species that can spawn from this mod

- Added species: Arctic fox

- Added species: Guardian spirit (i.e. Ori, from Ori and the Blind Forest, though in practice a majority of these are warden006's character or carbon copies of him)

- Added a companion mod that will disable all randomized spawns of Paradox default species at game generation, because I prize consistency. Event-spawned species will still work as normal, though (I'll get to them later), and the default species are still selectable for the player.

New tally of portrait counts:

Spoiler

accipitriform 24
arctic_fox 28
bat 25
blue_jay 29
corvid 19
demon 22
dolphin_chonky 48
dolphin_non_orca 31
dolphin_unchonky 25
dragon_wingless 34
flamedramon 30
goo 23
guardian_spirit 27
horse 32
lithoid_dragon 9
lizard 27
lizard_collared 28
mantis 20
mustelid 19
naga 27
raccoon 36
sergal 33
shark_chonky 26
shark_unchonky 32
skulldog 10
snake 30
synth_aeromorph 30
synth_marine 17
synth_robot 15
synth_vadersan 23
xenomorph 20

0.3 is out, featuring:

- (Mostly) consistent portrait heights, finally.

- Wide portraits for rulers, where the source portrait is wide. Ruler portraits mainly show up in diplomacy (and only after first contact - I think those use species portraits, although I didn't check). Non-ruler portraits are generally cropped for a 5:6 or taller aspect ratio.

- Restored some tails to portraits where I'd had to remove them earlier to fit the aspect ratio.

- Added species: Winged dragon.

- Added species: Turian.

- Small additions and fixes.

- A total absence of testing.

No tally this time, since I didn't update my portrait-counting script to discount the ruler variants yet.

A very nice choice of portraits, thank you!

Guys, what gameplay mod do you suggest alongside this one to enjoy a full male galaxy with Federations? I know about Sexy Male Xenos, but is there anything else? A mod in which I can simply lock all female related content is fine too.

It's a pretty narrow field. The only done thing I could find in the thread where Sexy Male Xenos was originally created was one mention of a gender-neutral mod. For my part, I'll see if I'm not completely Stellarised out by the time I get this mod to a 1.0 state - I don't have any plans to work on more mods at the moment, but then again, I didn't have plans to make this one either in February yet.

Also, here's 0.4, where these things were done:

- Broke compatibility with earlier versions on species design (and probably saves, didn't test those). I'm not trying to avoid compatibility breaks too hard so far, but I'm also pretty happy with the structure of things now, so I don't see any reason to break compat again coming up any time soon.

- Improved file numbering: The numbers in the ruler setup menu are now the same as the numbers in the source list, so you can actually tell where everything is from.

- Made all leaders from this mod's species classes actually only spawn as male, so, no more empresses or chairwomen.

- Actually made rulers use wide portraits in diplomacy.

- Switched to using wide portraits for governors and species as well; this might look odd in some places (species lists, governor lists), but it looks nicer in the places where those portraits really count (first contact, planet views).

- Added species: Lepidopteran.

- Minor improvements and additions.

And the tally script works again, so here's that as well:

accipitriform 29
arctic_fox 31
bat 27
blue_jay 31
corvid 19
demon 22
dolphin 31
dragon_winged 32
dragon_wingless 34
flamedramon 30
goo 23
guardian_spirit 27
horse 32
lepidopteran 30
lithoid_dragon 9
lizard 27
lizard_collared 28
mantis 20
mustelid 19
naga 27
orca_chonky 48
orca_unchonky 25
raccoon 36
sergal 33
shark_chonky 27
shark_unchonky 32
skulldog 10
snake 30
synth_aeromorph 30
synth_marine 17
synth_robot 15
synth_vadersan 25
turian 42
xenomorph 20

• 3 weeks later...

0.5 release notes:

- Realized that actually I'm not in a good place at all wrt. not breaking save compatibility, so yeah, pretty much every release is going to break saves and/or race designs. Including this one.

- Added species: Protogen.
- Added more Vader-San -style synth portraits.
- Replaced the lithoid_dragon species portraits with two new sets: Sangheili, and Dinosaur. Neither of them says "rock people" to me, but I was getting kind of desperate to cover them with something that's at least consistent with itself. Though the dinosaur set doesn't really achieve that particularly well, either. At least the lithoid greeting sounds make it hard to miss who you're talking to.
- Did a massive round of cropping on non-ruler portraits. I should finally have mostly consistent aspect ratios, sized to actually properly fit in the leader boxes (i.e. an aspect ratio of 3:4) in this mod. Now my main problem seems to be that the ruler variants are sometimes too wide even for their views, especially the planet view, though in diplomacy they're still mostly fine. I also intend to still do a round of cropping out excess legs.
- Various smaller fixes and additions.

- In copious_cocks_no_default_random_spawns: Replaced the vanilla presentient anomalies with a set that uses species from this mod instead. I also replaced the Stranded Scientist anomaly with a more male version, but most event chains that spawn leaders or species are really big and I'm not sure I want to copy them all over just to change some species portraits.

Total portrait count is now above 1000, which is in the ballpark of where I intended to go in the first place. It might rise, but then again it might even fall if I decide that I want to really focus on quality and consistency. That's pretty unlikely though, given the vast number of styles in the source material. Tally by species:

accipitriform 29
arctic_fox 31
bat 27
blue_jay 31
corvid 19
demon 22
dolphin 31
dragon_winged 32
dragon_wingless 34
flamedramon 30
goo 23
guardian_spirit 27
horse 32
lepidopteran 30
lithoid_dinosaur 17
lithoid_sangheili 31
lizard 27
lizard_collared 28
mantis 20
mustelid 19
naga 27
orca_chonky 46
orca_unchonky 27
raccoon 36
sergal 33
shark_chonky 27
shark_unchonky 32
skulldog 10
snake 30
synth_aeromorph 30
synth_marine 17
synth_protogen 25
synth_robot 15
synth_vadersan 31
turian 42
xenomorph 37

On 4/16/2020 at 10:18 PM, DoomBlackDragon said:

would be nice for some futs/herms add to this mod.

That reminds me! Sometimes in these threads people ask if they're allowed to build on top of the mod or to use parts of it in their own mod. So, I'm preempting them by putting my answer in here: I couldn't stop you if I wanted to, but also, I don't want to stop you. I would prefer that if people do do that, though, that they keep the list of sources in. The reason this mod exists is the work done by all those artists, after all.

Which also means that... if you want a mod that's this mod, but with futas and herms added, well, I would also love to see someone make one! Just, you know, I don't have any interest in doing it myself.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The main mod should still work in the current version, or at least it works for me. Try messing about with the usual suspects: Delete and reunpack the mod, delete descriptor.mod, reload whatever's reloadable, etc., I dunno, the launcher is capricious and I'm probably not paranoid enough about my approach to it.

Anyway, uhh, small announcement, it probably shows from the lack of updates, but I kind of mostly lost interest in this mod long ago, somewhat changed my mind on how moral it was to use other people's art like this in the first place, and also I threw out my original image source files for unrelated reasons, so, I guess I have no plans to make further releases to add or improve the art...

... but I did at least upload a new version of the default random spawn eraser mod. It should be up to date with all current DLC including Aquatics now. It's also totally untested beyond literally just starting the game, so your galaxy will probably end up with at least some default portraits, but oh well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 7:26 PM, Zermelane said:

The main mod should still work in the current version, or at least it works for me. Try messing about with the usual suspects: Delete and reunpack the mod, delete descriptor.mod, reload whatever's reloadable, etc., I dunno, the launcher is capricious and I'm probably not paranoid enough about my approach to it.

Anyway, uhh, small announcement, it probably shows from the lack of updates, but I kind of mostly lost interest in this mod long ago, somewhat changed my mind on how moral it was to use other people's art like this in the first place, and also I threw out my original image source files for unrelated reasons, so, I guess I have no plans to make further releases to add or improve the art...

... but I did at least upload a new version of the default random spawn eraser mod. It should be up to date with all current DLC including Aquatics now. It's also totally untested beyond literally just starting the game, so your galaxy will probably end up with at least some default portraits, but oh well.

You didn't put in the path correctly in the .mod file, do you mind correcting that for the others?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Trimming the file down to      common - species class and name.    gfx - model and portrait.   Doing that made the game function and recognize the mod. I'm not saying it will work flawlessly but is does as least let the game run.