Passion or Kinky? January 2020

Never used Passion as I already had Kinkyworld to replace the primitive Nraas Woohooer.

If I had a choice today, I would run both on the basegame only - no other EP, stuffpacks or CC (besides the Nraas master controller/no mosaic). Then I could compare load times, ease of use/menu design, and ultimately - game play.

Anytime I see a post creating a popularity contest I cringe, since most answers will be based more on fanboi feeling then an actual comparison of features and issues.

BTW as a KW user, I only use version .375 as I hear enough problems about later versions...

Author activity on this forum may be a consideration to you - OnikiKay is never around.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:29 PM, landess said:

Author activity on this forum may be a consideration to you - OnikiKay is never around.

And, TwilightStorm has been rarely around for about a year, due to needing the time for family.

tl;dr:

If you're just wanting to add a layer of not in-rabbit-hole or under cover of blankets, cloud of steam, with harps & hearts floating everywhere, then go with Passion.

If you're wanting to add more than that in terms of relationships (and willing to invest time playing with settings), then go with KW.

I've used both, played with Passion for 6-9 months, just switched a few months back to KW (the highschool and a few other things intrigued me, so I thought I'd give it a go).  It might be worth your while to give a trial run of both.

Some heavy advice if you do choose to try out both:

1) do any customization (of sims, of the world, of the buildings) before you install either.

2) keep a "clean" backup of the entire "Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3" folder somewhere (lazy way: open explorer & highlight "The Sims 3", hit copy, hit paste, windows will create it as "The Sims 3 - Copy", then just rename "Copy" to something like "clean backup before KW or Passion")

3) create a copy of that "clean" folder tree that has KW, and one that has Passion.  (I named them simply "The Sims 3.passion" and "The Sims 3.KW" when I did this exercize.

4) then just rename whichever you're wanting to play back to "The Sims 3" and fire up the game.

5) Also: do not try to copy saves between the two folders (see below).  I was, for the initial trial of both, putting "kw" or "p" in the save game name, just to help keep me straight in case things got merged accidentally.

6) Give each a few days, better a few weeks (depending on your in-game clock settings... I have mine reallllllly slowed down, so a single in-game day takes almost a full day of play... realism to the nth degree, and it's getting a bit old, but I'm not ready to change it yet

Why #2 & #5?  IIRC, Passion's thread has mentioned several times that the two mods aren't fully compatible and bad things might happen if you ever had KW installed in the world before playing with Passion.

Personally, I'd like a lighter-weight KW (I might need to downgrade to 375, as 405, albeit better than 399 in terms of speed, still has issues... and a few things that worked in 399 aren't now. ?But, KW seems to act very weird when changing versions... heck, it doesn't even seem to fully keep my settings when I send my sims on vacation or to the future.

I made the switch, or, rather, the current switch, after TwilightStorm needed to take time away and left it kinda half-fixed for something (I no longer recall what feature that was).

There's good and bad parts with both.  Passion seemed to be more geared to just playing the animations automatically than it did adding in anything else.  KW seems to add in far too much of the depravity than I'd actually like, as well as generates a ton of additional pop-ups (she called them 'dialogs' which were annoying, but less-so than after turning that off & making them notifications).

I read somewhere:  "KW is like a game inside the game of the sims".

Hope that helps... sorry, feeling kinda verbose tonight.

Archived