Best way to manage load order..

Tiress

I'm getting tired of this useless discussion that it's not going anywhere.

The only advantage of your aberrant system is speed and I admit it clearly.

You can create the patch much faster, copying fewer records and you don't have to do any additional merge.
There is no additional gain. Only speed.

And simply to gain time you are doing aberrant things that go against the guides, against the manuals, against the basic modding rules and against the common sense.

If you want to make your patches in an aberrant way, perfect, nobody can stop you.

But please, don't say your aberrant method is the best. Can be the best for you based in your personal opinion.
But you can be totally sure 99% of the people prefer make theirs patchs in the recomended way.

2 hours ago, GenioMaestro said:

I'm getting tired of this useless discussion that it's not going anywhere.

The only advantage of your aberrant system is speed and I admit it clearly.

You can create the patch much faster, copying fewer records and you don't have to do any additional merge.
There is no additional gain. Only speed.

And simply to gain time you are doing aberrant things that go against the guides, against the manuals, against the basic modding rules and against the common sense.

If you want to make your patches in an aberrant way, perfect, nobody can stop you.

But please, don't say your aberrant method is the best. Can be the best for you based in your personal opinion.
But you can be totally sure 99% of the people prefer make theirs patchs in the recomended way.

So again, you go on a long-winded rant that can't refute the points.

No, it's not just speed. I explained why the patches are being made that way. 

I have also never once claimed it is the best method, words you have been trying to place in my mouth in your last three-four posts. I pointed out that when needed,  it is a perfectly viable option. You still have said nothing that refutes that.

As for Loot, you realize that I can edit meta data the same as any other user correct? I use it often, lol.

Mod Managers; Learn it? What? Why would I need to? There is nothing the other managers offer over mine.

Have a great day Genio. 

I'm just going to drop here to mention that LOOT is far from infallible and shouldn't be blindly trusted. Common errors LOOT makes:

- Wrong load order with RaceCompability and Sancrosanct. It always puts UKSPOverride after Sancrosanct which overrides the PlayerVampireQuest, thus breaking Sancrosanct.

- If you use Myrkvior for trees and Skyrim Flora Overhaul for the flora (and not trees), it puts SFO after Myrkvior, thus making Myrkvior not work properly.

- Over at Yiffy Age thread we have plenty of people who blindy trusted LOOT and had broken game as result. It puts YiffyAgeConsolidated without a fail far too high on load order unless you specify custom rules for it. Telling people to put the esp near bottom used to be weekly occurrence until it was put on mod description.

There are plenty of other cases where LOOT has failed but I'm not going to try and recall all of them. LOOT gives you something that serves as acceptable base, it should be adjusted accordingly afterwards. Manual sorting if you know what you are doing is always the best option, guides recommend LOOT because people who read guides do not know what they are doing.

Load Order management is like building a house to me. You want to move your big, all encompassing mods up near the top under your esms and then medium sized mods and then small mods. True that with some mods, it doesn't matter where you put them in the load order. But with others that touch many things in the game, they need to be at the top so you can lay down the smaller changes over them. Then you make your patch. One patch if you can manage it. This has worked extremely well for me for years now.

An example of what I'm talking about is the four or five mods that I have that change Whiterun. Not just any combination of those mods can work- mainly because of the different nav-meshes I think. I HAVE to have them in a certain order or they will ctd my game every time I load into it. As far as I know, you can't patch nav-meshes unless you open up the ck and fix everything to work together that way.

So, I agree that incorrect load order in and of itself doesn't cause crashes, but it sure as hell helps to have the right load order the more mods you are running. You have to know what you are putting where and why to let the correct features of mods "win" conflicts and then patch everything else.

Archived