I'm gonna need some help here

Okay, a couple of days ago I completely failed at installing a female nude body mod and ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated on my Steam version of New Vegas. This is my first time modding New Vegas, so I'll need help.

What do I do in order to clean my NV folders? I want to delete the failed AII stuff and restart but steam won't let me delete things in its folder. What do I do?

Also, should I just buy a hard copy of the game? or does that require steam as well? Is there a cracked version or torrent of the full game?

Any help would be appreciated.

For a full clean install, I generally just delete the Local Content via the Library in Steam... then remove all traces that are left manually. Though why it won't let you delete the stuff in the folder as it is, I've no idea... unless you're trying to delete the NV folder in your SteamApps>Common folder, in which case Steam is gonna get pissy at you. (have you tried closing Steam? That should be enough to stop it whining at you)

There are hard copies, but I've not seen any problems with modding the Steam version... you can guess what I use. :) As far as I know, the hard copies don't need Steam... it'd be bloody ridiculous if they did, to be honest.

For a full clean install' date=' I generally just delete the Local Content via the Library in Steam... then remove all traces that are left manually. Though why it won't let you delete the stuff in the folder as it is, I've no idea... unless you're trying to delete the NV folder in your SteamApps>Common folder, in which case Steam is gonna get pissy at you. (have you tried closing Steam? That should be enough to stop it whining at you)

There are hard copies, but I've not seen any problems with modding the Steam version... you can guess what I use. :) As far as I know, the hard copies don't need Steam... it'd be bloody ridiculous if they did, to be honest.

[/quote']

So If I log off and shut down steam, I can delete the rest of the content? Does deleting the local content uninstall the game?

Eh, I just tried what you said and no luck. It insists that I don't have permission to delete anything NV related. I deleted the local content, but that didn't help, all it did was uninstall my game. Everything is still in the folder though.

Fucking typical.

Ok... that's just weird... I'm assuming it's Windows that's telling you to get knotted here?

If it is, you need to find out what the permissions for that folder are set to...

right-click on the folder, Properties on the drop-down... click the "security" tab, click on the "advanced" button at the bottom of the window... in the new window, click on the "owner" tab, then on "edit"... in the new window, select who you want the owner to be, click ok.

Wait until it's done, if Windows is being pissy about things it can take a while... make a coffee or something. When it's done, you should be able to delete it ok.

That is all assuming you're using Win7... it's almost identical on XP and Vista, so it'll give you a good idea how to do it with those OS.

Hope this helps... if not, we'll try something else.

Ok... that's just weird... I'm assuming it's Windows that's telling you to get knotted here?

If it is' date=' you need to find out what the permissions for that folder are set to...

right-click on the folder, Properties on the drop-down... click the "security" tab, click on the "advanced" button at the bottom of the window... in the new window, click on the "owner" tab, then on "edit"... in the new window, select who you want the owner to be, click ok.

Wait until it's done, if Windows is being pissy about things it can take a while... make a coffee or something. When it's done, you should be able to delete it ok.

That is all assuming you're using Win7... it's almost identical on XP and Vista, so it'll give you a good idea how to do it with those OS.

Hope this helps... if not, we'll try something else.

[/quote']

Tried it, and... nothing. I did this twice (once for each option) and both times it failed. I am using Win7 and It still won't let me do it. I press "apply" or "ok", and I didn't press the X button.

I even made some coffee! :(

What now?

Hmm... are you able to change the name of the folder? If so, you can force Steam to install a fresh copy. That's only a solution to having the mucked up stuff in the NV install though... getting rid of whatever is going on in there is going to be harder.

I mean, I do know one way to get rid of it that would be pretty certain to work, but I'm very loath to mention it since it involves using Linux as the OS instead of Windows.

There is one way that might help without going to that degree though... reboot into Safe Mode and try to delete it in that setup. (reboot your PC, press F8 during the boot-up sequence, chose Safe Mode from the list it gives... when done, simply reboot and let it do a normal startup)

To be honest, this is starting to stump me... and confuse the fuck out of me. :-/

Hmm... are you able to change the name of the folder? If so' date=' you can force Steam to install a fresh copy. That's only a solution to having the mucked up stuff in the NV install though... getting rid of whatever is going on in there is going to be harder.

I mean, I do know one way to get rid of it that would be pretty certain to work, but I'm very loath to mention it since it involves using Linux as the OS instead of Windows.

There is one way that might help without going to that degree though... reboot into Safe Mode and try to delete it in that setup. (reboot your PC, press F8 during the boot-up sequence, chose Safe Mode from the list it gives... when done, simply reboot and let it do a normal startup)

To be honest, this is starting to stump me... and confuse the fuck out of me. :-/

[/quote']

Yes, I can rename the New Vegas folder and anything in it except for AII and a few other things. I've just come to notice that it won't allow me to edit or do anything with stuff added to the folder, vanilla content is fine. I've tried safe mode in the past and it didn't work though.

1. Are you logged in as admin?

2. When you tried to delete the folder did you exit steam completely (not clicking the x in the corner but rather clicking steam in the upper right corner and clicking

"exit". If you just clicked the x in the upper left corner steam would still be running in the back ground and would fight you deleting things.

I have deleted and moved my entire steam folder in the past but you can only do so if steam itself is not running on the system.

2. When you tried to delete the folder did you exit steam completely (not clicking the x in the corner but rather clicking steam in the upper right corner and clicking

"exit". If you just clicked the x in the upper left corner steam would still be running in the back ground and would fight you deleting things.

I have deleted and moved my entire steam folder in the past but you can only do so if steam itself is not running on the system.

The Main profile that I use is an admin. I've also created a profile called "Administrator" which basically has special admin functions not available to regular admins (If you don't know what I'm talking about, search it on google or something, I did that along time ago). I haven't tried using that profile yet but I'll try soon. If you're saying that I must manually become and admin when I sign in, how do I do this? Also, I've had Steam off while trying to delete stuff, and have had no success.

No, I understand what you are saying on the admin side, I just asked as many are oblivious of how permissions work.

As to not being able to delete while steam is closed - that is a new one to me. Seriously I can move\delete\rename at will on my comp running win7.

Oh' date=' one question and this goes back to permissions: did you install Steam to its default location - C:\Program Files\Steam? If so there could an issue of all files\folders in there being protected by UAC (if running win7).

[/quote']

Yeah it's in the default location, what do I do to turn off UAC?

HALO try msconfig in command prompt and check back ground files to make sure there is not a Steam progy runing in the back Ground and if that dosent work shut down your anti Vir program and or windows defender IE and try if all else fails try in safe mode and if that fails LOL there is allways regedit Be sure you are confident in deleting the files in regedit as real bad MoJo can happen in that area ;) good luck hope it helps

(The Version you provided was for vista while I have 7. No worries though, I found 7's version).

So after reading the guide and the comments I was so happy that it finally would be over! So I happily navigate through the settings and what-do-you-know! UAC is ALREADY at NEVER NOTIFY! ISN'T THAT GREAT!?

I shit you not, UAC was already at never notify when I read the guide. So do I have the weirdest computer in the world or not?

Thanks guys for sticking with me. The extremely helpful community really makes LL a unique and great place (the mods are also pretty cool too!). I'll try what you suggested gregathit, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Anyways, thanks once again, and I'll try this out on the 3rd.

K, I'm back. I think I might just throw in the towel with steam and buy a hard copy. Unless...

Do hard copies of NV (for the pc) require steam? If any of you purchased the pc disk version, can I install the game in the program files and have the freedom like I do with Oblivion. Or... is steam going to fuck me over again?

K' date=' I'm back. I think I might just throw in the towel with steam and buy a hard copy. Unless...

Do hard copies of NV (for the pc) require steam? If any of you purchased the pc disk version, can I install the game in the program files and have the freedom like I do with Oblivion. Or... is steam going to fuck me over again?

[/quote']

Stem alwys fucks you over, thats what its here for. I have the boxed version and it requires steam. You can run it in offlinemode ofc, but it's still installed on c: wich is the worst possible location, since thats my smallest partition and reserved for system stuff. Thats why i don't buy steam games anymore. I want to decide where stuff gets installed and if i want 3rd party tools. I could not install the amount of mods i have in oblivion (some 16 GB with the game itself) for FONV without repartitioning my HD. There is ofc the illegal option but thats just stupid. It gets really interesteing with games that have a limited number of installs, you can't even remove games that you played to make room without loosing an install.

K' date=' I'm back. I think I might just throw in the towel with steam and buy a hard copy. Unless...

[/quote']

Stem alwys fucks you over, thats what its here for. I have the boxed version and it requires steam. You can run it in offlinemode ofc, but it's still installed on c: wich is the worst possible location, since thats my smallest partition and reserved for system stuff. Thats why i don't buy steam games anymore. I want to decide where stuff gets installed and if i want 3rd party tools. I could not install the amount of mods i have in oblivion (some 16 GB with the game itself) for FONV without repartitioning my HD. There is ofc the illegal option but thats just stupid. It gets really interesteing with games that have a limited number of installs, you can't even remove games that you played to make room without loosing an install.

Which is why I installed steam to my D drive which is dedicated to games only. If you like you can move your steam directory (without having to reinstall all of your games) in a few simple steps. The time it will take to do so depends on how many games you have purchase through steam.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Having a dedicated hard drive for your games (with steam on it) will solve all of the problems you listed - barring that hard drive failing.

I bought a cheap and quite effective means of having multiple hard drives to even backup my games disc. I use a Thermaltake black x duet and pop in my older hard drives from previous outdated computers to backup/store games and mods.

Personally I love steam. It is so easy to use and if you wait for sales (generally one around the 4th of July and around Christmas) you can get games at ridiculously low prices. Sure it has a couple of issues (updating games even when you tell it not to.....) but overall the pro's vastly outweigh the cons for me. It is so nice to purchase something online, preload (I do hate it when some game developers don't allow this), and then you just unlock it at midnight (this should also be an industry standard!!!!). Sure there are other programs that can do this but they tend to only offer that publishers games (EA's Origins) or are not as friendly to operate.

Sorry for getting off topic and writing a damn wall of text!!!

Archived