I'm gonna need some help here

K' date=' I'm back. I think I might just throw in the towel with steam and buy a hard copy. Unless...

Do hard copies of NV (for the pc) require steam? If any of you purchased the pc disk version, can I install the game in the program files and have the freedom like I do with Oblivion. Or... is steam going to fuck me over again?

[/quote']

Stem alwys fucks you over, thats what its here for. I have the boxed version and it requires steam. You can run it in offlinemode ofc, but it's still installed on c: wich is the worst possible location, since thats my smallest partition and reserved for system stuff. Thats why i don't buy steam games anymore. I want to decide where stuff gets installed and if i want 3rd party tools. I could not install the amount of mods i have in oblivion (some 16 GB with the game itself) for FONV without repartitioning my HD. There is ofc the illegal option but thats just stupid. It gets really interesteing with games that have a limited number of installs, you can't even remove games that you played to make room without loosing an install.

Which is why I installed steam to my D drive which is dedicated to games only. If you like you can move your steam directory (without having to reinstall all of your games) in a few simple steps. The time it will take to do so depends on how many games you have purchase through steam.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Having a dedicated hard drive for your games (with steam on it) will solve all of the problems you listed - barring that hard drive failing.

I bought a cheap and quite effective means of having multiple hard drives to even backup my games disc. I use a Thermaltake black x duet and pop in my older hard drives from previous outdated computers to backup/store games and mods.

Personally I love steam. It is so easy to use and if you wait for sales (generally one around the 4th of July and around Christmas) you can get games at ridiculously low prices. Sure it has a couple of issues (updating games even when you tell it not to.....) but overall the pro's vastly outweigh the cons for me. It is so nice to purchase something online, preload (I do hate it when some game developers don't allow this), and then you just unlock it at midnight (this should also be an industry standard!!!!). Sure there are other programs that can do this but they tend to only offer that publishers games (EA's Origins) or are not as friendly to operate.

Sorry for getting off topic and writing a damn wall of text!!!

Woah, tanks for the guide, I'll try this out very soon!

Archived