I have problems with Mod Organizer 2

ok my short story is that I tried to change from MO1 to MO2 and the problems have started. Although I have 3 times clean installed MO2 with F4SE XEdit bla bla bla I have suddenly ctd every time I try to load a save game or start a new one that was the main reason why I installed it 3 times (thought I had something installed wrong :( ) but seems this is not the case in the last attempt after reinstalling LooksMenu I had the first ctd from a save but after can't even start a new game with the few mods I had  :( :(  :(

Spoiler

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
DLCworkshop01.esm
DLCCoast.esm
DLCworkshop02.esm
DLCworkshop03.esm
DLCNukaWorld.esm
ArmorKeywords.esm
SettlementKeywords.esm
Snap'n Build.esm
AQUILA.esp
CROSS_CryoLance.esp
rpampas.esp
Depravity.esp
OutcastsAndRemnants.esp
AA FusionCityRising.esp
ProjectValkyrie.esp
FF_Armors.esp
mjp_PTRS41ATR.esp
XM2010_SniperRifle_by_tooun.esp
NanoSuit.esp
N7-Armor-Standalone_by_Ruddy88.esp
VendorTrunk.esp
AWARHERO TitanFall 2 Outfits.esp
outlawer Titanfall.esp
Armorsmith Extended.esp
AlternateSettlements.esp
AdvBubbleTurretSet-RealNP.esp
OCDecorator.esp
NPC Spawner.esp
Red Rocket Basement.esp
Scrap Everything - Ultimate Edition.esp

Does anyone has any idea - help what is wrong with MO2 and FO4 ? 

2nd Problem trying to revert back to Old Mod Organizer doesn't see the exe files in Steam/steamapps/common/fallout4 although there are there. Does MO2 uses any thing to prevent Old MO to see the files? Maybe I start getting crazy I know :( sorry....

a few hints:

Sure you installed F4SE right? You got it working for MO so I guess you don't need instructions but maybe delete and reinstall it.

Then did you try deactivating all the mods and start the game in unmodded state?

If that doesn't work try repairing the game files (Steam option)  and if that doesn't fix it delete it and reinstall.

After that activate the mods you're using one by one, trying to load an unmodded savegame (so finish the intro without any mods and then save) after every new addition.

If you're not sure about how to sort these esp plugins, just use LOOT. It's right most of the time and also spots a few issues you might have overlooked.

Fallout 4 works just fine with MO2, you shouldn't experience these issues.

Gamer Poet has a good video for installation for MO2 on You Tube.  It may be worth watching.  He always has good instructions.  I know I was frustrated going from Nexus Mod Manager to MO and MO2 years ago.  I put in the wrench time and learned how to make it work.  I have no reason to look at any other Mod Manager because it works great for me.

It is recommended to not install MO2 in the default Steam directory or Programs Directories.  I have mine in C:/ModOrganizer2/Fallout4.  Also make sure to run F4SE, bodyslide, and other apps  as administrator.

I would disable all mods in MO2 and see if you can launch the game.  Launch game via F4SE from MO2.  Icon looks like gears.  Add path to f4se_loader.exe.  Ensure you have F4SE upgraded to the revision of your Fallout4.exe. Should be 1.10.138.0 currently.  Use f4se_0_06_17 along with revision.  If your game launches then start adding mods a few at a time.  Texture mods are good to add right away as they wont crash the game unless you are loading a lot of high resolution stuff that your machine can't handle.  I would usually load core mods next like looksmenu, bodyslide, CBBE, etc.  Make sure they are all up to date with this current game level.  Launch the game after loading a few more mods to ensure it is still stable.  Keep going in this way until you are satisfied.  You may also want to travel around at some point to make sure a certain locations do not cause CTD's.  Also check for missing textures or black face bugs.  When in trouble always disable the last mods that may have caused an issue and go back to safe ground.

I know its a pain but you don't want an unstable game.  Not fun!

I can expand on this if you have specific questions.  I no longer use MO.  I use MO2 for all Bethesda games.  FO3, FONV, FO4, Skyrim, SkyrimSE

I want to thank both of you @Bazinga and @Samuraitech I always follow - watch guides from Gopher and Gamer Poet also have read many articles from S.T.E.P plus many more others since my first installation of Skyrim. I was using old Mod Organizer 1 and never had problems in all my games with few exceptions FNV and Oblivion in some of the runs. After many years I wanted to replay Fallout4 and also to show my son how he can make games better in the future... I Failed ? that's the hard face of truth.

I followed for fallout 4 Gamer Poet managed the ini files played a huge walkthrough and feeling confident I want to add few more mods in a new profile. From there everything goes wrong. MO2 Directory yes wasn't in C drive neither in the Steam Directory but on the same HDD as Bazinga said I have clean installed for the 4th time the game and on my 3rd attempt I was adding the mods 1 by 1 login the game and back again next mod till I had the crash with LooksMenu that was the last one before the crash. Reading posts in LooksMenu mod others also have ctd problems.

The weird thing is that before MO2 when you had a ctd you could start a new game or even with search and tricking the mods or the order you could continue but not now with MO2 maybe it is my wrong impression but  is what looked to me. I wondering if the mod ini's get corrupted by a ctd and afterwards any attempt to start a new game or load a save fails shouldn't a new profile be clean inside MO2 and I am not referring to the ini's of Fallout4. As you have seen my load oredr is tragically baby one and makes me wonder what will happen if I try to install AAF and other mods when failing in simple mods. Am I also the only one having such problems with MO2 or others have also experienced ctd and solved the problem. If I am correct I do remember old MO could manage Fallout 4 mods not the amount of mods this days but what was then.

Hmmm in my 2 last attempts I haven't come in time to install bodyslide but I don't think LooksMenu would crash because of it...

I can't answer as to what is causing your issue.  I can only say you need to start somewhere.  If you have modded FO4 before or with another Mod Manager you may need to reinstall the game.  Delete and have Steam reload.  I would strongly recommend not installing the game in the default steam directory or in any windows program directory.  If your foundation is shaky any modding you do in the future will tumble.  Be patient and take it one step at a time.  It will work if you are persistent.  

A year or so from now this will all seem simple and you may be helping others with similar issues.

You may have to go to user files and delete all files associated with Fallout 4 there as well as any Fallout 4 files ,under my games in the document folder. Then uninstall and reinstall.

I do not use MO2.Ibelieve it has flaws MO1 does not have but that is just my opinion. I am in the process of getting the game going again and will use the updated NMM that other players have been modernizing and upgrading.

Gopher, Gamerpoet and others have youtube videos on MO2 so I would agree with the others who say you should watch those after you reinstall the game.

So Looksmenu is the mod you activated last before the crash?

But I don't see it in the load order you posted above.

Maybe try also adding the Unofficial Patch. Dunno how useful it is for FO4 but given that this is a Bethesda game I bet it's just as needed here as the Skyrim one was for that game.

And last but not least don't clean savegames using external tools. That might have worked for Skyrim, but here it will most likely just break the samegame. So better just ignore FallrimTools.

Something to think about: did your get an update from steam ?? if it was working fine previously check if you did not get screwed by steam with their silent updates. other then that try running mo2 without any mods installed make sure mo2 is correctly installed and then start adding your mod list.

btw if your game got updated to latest version make sure all your f4se mods also got their respective updates to the latest update.

• 1 year later...