The Sims 3 Mods FRAMEWORK

The Sims 3 Mods FRAMEWORK

In order to use ANY Mod  in The Sims 3 – you need a “Mods” folder in the main “The Sims 3” folder.

Download "Mods folder Framework - Install.zip" and place in a new folder.

Extract the zip file to its own folder.

Move or COPY the ENTIRE Mods folder to your ...\Documents\The Sims 3 folder.

Now you can start placing your Mod package files into the Mods\Packages folder.

Play the game. No installing is required. 

It is easy to create one.

Make a new folder in Documents\The Sims 3 folder. Name it “Mods

In that folder make 2 more folders – name them Packages and Overrides respectively.

Copy the “Resource.cfg” file printed below and paste in a new Notepad document. Save this document to the new Mods folder as a text document, with the following name “Resource.cfg

What a mods folder looks like

Mods (folder)

Resorce.cfg (file)

Packages (folder)

Overrides (folder)

I’ve set up one as a download for you. Or you can follow the directions above.

Just place the ENTIRE Mods folder into The Sims 3 folder. That’s it!

You can now put your Mods into the Mods\Packages folder.

The “Resource. Cfg” file contains the breakdown on what folder in the Mods main folder has what priority for loading.

(Resource.cfg file)

Priority 601

DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate

That line of code is at the top

This is the entire Resource.cfg file

Priority 601

DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate

Priority 600

PackedFile Overrides/*.package

PackedFile Overrides/*/*.package

PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*.package

PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*.package

PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*/*.package

Priority 500

PackedFile Packages/*.package

PackedFile Packages/*/*.package

PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package

PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package

PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package

Priority 500

PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc

If you want a through explanation of how to set up a mods folder or have a MAC computer – you can find a good tutorial here: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=9187.0

Any problems - let me know.

Visit Non Sequiturs Custom Content

On 9/22/2019 at 5:30 PM, Non-sequitur said:

I’ve set up one as a download for you. Or you can follow the directions above.

Just place the ENTIRE Mods folder into The Sims 3 folder. That’s it!

You can now put your Mods into the Mods\Packages folder.

Only if a Mod you download states it is a core mod and requires being placed in the Overrides folder will you place any package in the Overrides folder. Most package files don’t require a higher scan rate.

The “Resource. Cfg” file contains the breakdown on what folder in the Mods main folder has what priority for scanning.

In the Resource.cfg  file I offer – the overall scan rate is 601. This is 100 points more than any other folder so will scan more often. The original overall scan rate was 1000 – it was scanning nearly constantly and making the game more jittery – so I lowered it.

If you want to change it back to its original values change the “601” to “1000”. You can, of course, change it back anytime you want before starting The Sims 3.

Uh no those numbers are the Global Priority for how those Sub-folders load that has nothing to do with how often the folder gets scanned. FYI the only time the game scans those folders is when it's loading after the game is done loading it never touches those folders again until you reload the game as it stores them into memory.

The reason the Overrides folder is set to 1000 is to place it at a higher level of Priority over the game files (or other mods in rare cases) it's overriding otherwise they may not load properly. It's fine if you have nothing in that folder, but if you do the game could very well make you pay for it by messing around with the Global Priority.

The only mods that go in the Overrides folder are overrides such as OBJD's that override the games OBJD's or a mod that fixes a problem with a CC object or in some cases when it's absolutely necessary the ccmerged from the DCCache if it's not working like it's supposed to. A Core mod should never go in there.

The main cause of the game being jittery or laggy has 99% of the time always been:

1. Stuck sims.

2. Bad, corrupted or outdated mods and CC.

3. A Script or Core mod that runs a lot of script code.

4. An improperly configured or poorly made Tuning mod.

5. A Script or Core mod that for some reason has become overactive temporarily or maybe even broke.

6. Poor computer specs at the very least you should have a I3 2120 gaming version CPU (or AMD Equivalent) or better,  Nvidia GTX 285 (or AMD equivalent) or better and a minimum of 8gb of RAM.

7. You have a newer graphics card but the game doesn't recognize it which will require tweaks to the Graphics Rules and Graphics Cards sgr's.

8. The game is a 32bit application with a memory limit of 3.5 gigs of RAM and pushing close to or past it's limit will cause it as well as Error 12's

9. The game is poorly optimized and has no FPS limiter leaving the FPS uncapped will also cause it to get jittery as well as wreak your graphics card.

Test your FPS with CTL+Shift+C and type fps on to show the games built in FPS counter.

I've been playing this game since 2010 and have made Script mods, Core mods, Tuning mods, CC and custom worlds for it for nearly as long. There are only a handful of people that know the game and it's code as well as I do and only 6 that know it better than I do.

Well great!

I've learned that some of the info I had is incorrect. Now corrected - thanks for the tutorial - I'll take it with a grain of salt.

I've removed that "offending" paragraph. However, some of what you state is still in contention with all that I've read from you experts. Especially the "what goes where". Everyone has their take I guess.

The way I have that Mods Framework setup will work great. I use it.

My machine is a 17 year old, 32 bit, Core2Duo, 2.20 Ghz, e45oo chipset, 3GB ram, running Vista. I have pagefile system set at about 8GB

7 hours ago, Non-sequitur said:

some of what you state is still in contention with all that I've read from you experts. Especially the "what goes where". Everyone has their take I guess.

The game reacts differently for everybody for me it's always been either Stuck sims or a Script mod broke and went bad that causes the game to jitter. Take Island Paradise for example I've never had any problems running the world it came with, whereas some else with the exact same or even better comp specs can't run it without massive lag.

Originally mods where installed in the game install directory in either the Base Game or WA root folder which could be done manually or with :monkey: Monkey Bars/Helper Monkey :monkey: and there was no Overrides folder at first either as the game didn't have Global Priority. That changed with Patch 1.9 in which EA added Global Priority in an attempt to discourage using mods.

Patch 1.12 changed the way mods where installed to the current way it's done now with the Mods folder being in the game folder as EA decided to give mod support as too many people where breaking their game installation with the old way. 

Some still stubbornly use the old method of installing mods as it does still work which adds to confusion when they tell people where to install the mod but forget to supply the proper mod framework for that kind of install as it has different requirements needed to make it work.

The worst part about the Global Priority is figuring out which mods go into the Overrides folder which isn't consistent. The game code doesn't tell you the Global Priority for the files you're working with as the Global Priority settings are in a part of the game core that is hidden and inaccessible.

An example would be the OBJD for the base game car Sloppy Jalopy has to go into the Overrides folder whereas the OBJD for the Fast Lane Scoot Mobile doesn't and can go in either the Overrides or Packages folder.

And some have multiple Global Priority settings depending on what you do. The OBJD for the WA scooter the Kenspa goes in the Packages folder if you're unlocking it so it appears in Build/Buy so it can be bought outside of the WA worlds but if you also change the Price of it then it has to go into the Overrides folder.

You can thank EA's spaghetti code for all the confusion for the most part on "what goes where".  :confounded:

I remember the time I was going to look into fixing the busted ass Generations Free Vacation scenario :unamused:. I took one look at the code :grimace: :scream: and immediately lit up a cigarette and grabbed my whiskey bottle and woke up with a hang over the next day and said "fuck it I'm not touching that". :tongue:

17 hours ago, Clydie said:

Thank you taking your time explaining this basics.

Was not aware of that, changed it as per your recommendation and think it helps to relieve stress from the game.

Please keep up your good work.

I had a look at this mod yesterday, and I admit I was equally intrigued by the "scanning" part of its description, which was a new to me.

1 hour ago, namaradus said:

-snip-

You can thank EA's spaghetti code for all the confusion for the most part on "what goes where".  :confounded:

I agree, and I'm certainly not going to blame the OP for that.

Having toyed with TS2, TS3 and now TS4, beside other Bethesda modding blockbusters, big companies like EA just don't care about how mods are transmitted to the masses. There is so little official information, and so much misinformation still hanging around countless forums, that I'm amazed how most people actually get their modded games running.

About the TS3 "Overrides" folder, I could find maybe one thread on MTS discussing it, and nothing else of real value. In my recent TS4 trials, it took me a good while too long to find out that scripts shouldn't be nested more than one level below the "Mods" folder. I still have no clue though if the "Overrides" folder is being used by the TS4 game or not. The list could go on and on, and the worst is that we never get any kind of official/dev documentation or references (let alone support) about modding questions. I fondly remember my Neverwinter Nights modding days, where we got an active and actually very helpful modding forum on the official Bioware boards, with the actual devs contributing! Nowadays, it's just "gimme your money, and figure it out on your own if you want mods", for any company.

In any case, and since I'm back to TS3 now, since TS4 more and more appears to be an utter mess of an ongoing failure, it's good that users with some experience can chime in to keep older (but much more worthwhile) games supported and documented. Having read several of your posts in this forum, they usually are a pleasure to go through, gathering information.

Glad, and grateful, to have you onboard.

6 minutes ago, ljacquard said:

Bioware

6 minutes ago, ljacquard said:

Maxis

Both of these companies are just shells of what they used to be. But between the two Maxis got it worse at one time Maxis was the only Independent Subsidiary EA had in fact EA no control over Maxis all they really had was publishing rights.

That changed when EA was able to get their "worm" Samantha Ryan into both companies and rip them apart from the inside out and giving EA full control over Maxis and Bioware.

The average user – even the knowledgeable power user would assume that any change to an existing EA package would, then, go into the Overrides.  After all, is it not “overriding” an existing package?  In some fashion it still feels like guesswork. Fortunately, most users - even power users, do not create or modify packages. If they did - could you imagine a million more of ME?  Although I might find it a pleasing thought - your opinion would differ vastly! I'm sure!

And in like fashion, the dissemination of putting Core mods into the Overrides is still perpetuated. Obviously, as I did – GIGO. I know players that put quite a few packages into Overrides and say they have no problems.  It can be confusing that you use Overrides for “some” modified packages that already exist within the system – but not for system modifications. I can see how they might be handled differently. I have also read conflicting articles stating no packages in Overrides, only core mods and scripts, only if "it"says to... there is a wide range. 

I have a question about the scanning/loading/Global Priority thingy.  Perhaps a separate thread is needed for this.

The Mods subfolders have individual folder Global Priorities set. In the Global sense It's my understanding these folders have a load hierarchy. So, once loaded, then what?  It’s all dumped into a database then it’s a “lookup” when required? Or, are they further partitioned into internal priority groups?

Since it is somewhat an “open” world, objects come in and out of view and perspective, there is loading and unloading of scene object data. Since it needs to reload these objects “base” data again (or does it) I assume Global Priorities have a finger tilting the scale in it somewhere – or not? Or is it simply a loading priority to put the most important packages at the start point of the Database and in order of importance of use?

The only 'override' package I have came with a modified world based on an EA one. I assume so the game would use animations, etc. from that world which weren't EA installed.

Thought I'd stop by this thread since it gets into a few of the nut's and bolts without doing a full autopsy.

11 hours ago, Non-sequitur said:

The Mods subfolders have individual folder Global Priorities set. In the Global sense It's my understanding these folders have a load hierarchy. So, once loaded, then what?  It’s all dumped into a database then it’s a “lookup” when required? Or, are they further partitioned into internal priority groups?

Depending on the mod Core Mods and Script Mods will have there code running once loaded into memory so they can be called on when needed (or like in the case of Nraas ErrorTrap and OverWatch run continuously once loaded), now Tuning Mods the changes they make are "hard coded" or in other words "set in stone" once loaded into memory.

As for how they load first it would the Packages folder and then the Overrides folder as overrides have to make their changes last incase they are overriding another mod in the Packages folder. But they will all override the game files as the games files are loaded before any mod is.

Only exception where a mod won't override a game file is a Game Core Override meaning the games own script core nullifies any changes to that file or tuning and is almost impossible and in some cases totally impossible to get around.

As for how they go into the database in the case of a mod in the Overrides folder overriding a mod in Packages it would be "last mod wins" the changes from the Packages folder mod would be discarded in favor of what the mod in Overrides is overriding from it. Basically look at the hierarchy like this Game Files then Packages then Overrides.

I have also read conflicting articles stating no packages in Overrides, only core mods and scripts, only if "it"says to... there is a wide range. 

When it comes to this I'll stick by what Pescado, Twallan, Consort, Cmar and Buzzler have said only when directly stated should any mod go into the Overrides folder. Core mods don't go into Overrides there are only 7 Core mods and none of their creators will tell you to put them there. It's rare for a Script mod to go into the Overrides folder and that's usually because it uses/requires a Store or CC object that was converted into a package file and you don't want both in the same folder. An example would Nraas Pocket Protector Tablet which makes changes to the OBJD of the Store Item the Multi Tab 6000 and you had decrapped and converted the Multi Tab 6000 into a package file thus you would want to put Nraas Pocket Protector Tablet in Overrides so it overrides the OBJD of the Multi Tab 6000 package file.

There is a lot of bad information concerning the Overrides folder which comes from people who have never made a mod or don't understand mods. I remember one person who had so many outdated mods on top of a ton of mod conflicts who vehemently refused to listen when me and igzor over at Nraas tried to help them. Despite their game being an absolute mess they refused to believe that the mod that they download 9 yrs ago was outdated and that the 2 mods that did practical the same thing would conflict and cause problems. 

But generally packages files (OBJD overrides, certain types of mesh overrides and a few other things) are what goes in the Overrides folder and only if the mod says to put them there or in for some cases where troubleshooting is called for under the direction of a mod developer. And in some extremely rare cases a Tuning may go into the Overrides folder which I've only ever seen a mod developer ever say to put one there once.

Since it is somewhat an “open” world, objects come in and out of view and perspective, there is loading and unloading of scene object data. Since it needs to reload these objects “base” data again (or does it) I assume Global Priorities have a finger tilting the scale in it somewhere – or not? Or is it simply a loading priority to put the most important packages at the start point of the Database and in order of importance of use?

No that's just how the games rendering is due to it's 32bit limitations and it's Open World it merely hides the objects from view and restores them to view to decrease memory and cpu stress. There already loaded just not visible. It's actually pretty complicated to even explain, someone with better knowledge of game engine graphics would be needed to give an adequate explanation.

The Sims 3 is an open world and like most games with an open world it's very taxing on the cpu thus the hide and restore method. The Sims 2 and Sims 4 (actually only partially) are an open neighborhood or in other words only the immediate area is open and the rest is locked behind a load screen.

Explained nicely #7  - thanks!

So, if I'm clear on this...

• Global Priority, as it pertains to the Mods subfolders, is only a data loading order with highest numbers loading last - so whatever goes in last overrides whatever was previously referenced for that object.
  • Since the Global Priority loads the Mods after the main part - any package files will naturally override game stuff already loaded anyway. And, since Overrides are loaded last, after the Packages folder - anything in the Overrides folder will override anything referenced before it was loaded.  As the new kind on the block moves in - the old kid is kicked out (or ignored).

Sound like the Overrides folder would only be used in rare cases and for troubleshooting because it will have the final say over anything previously loaded.

The way this is all structured, it doesn't seem like it would really matter at the end of the loading though, as it's all loaded and the last one in is the leader. 

I can see where it might be very slightly useful in testing the next iteration of a creation that has the same internal numbering.

If I ever get to a point where I even think I need to place my ccmerged into the Overrides folder - it's time to reset the game folder.

Hope I got it right this time - thanks again for the correction.

Sounds about right. Yes.

8 hours ago, Non-sequitur said:

If I ever get to a point where I even think I need to place my ccmerged into the Overrides folder - it's time to reset the game folder.

Not necessarily sometimes some Store Items namely the Premium Items need that extra kick in the pants especially if you have a lot of Store Items and/or CC installed.

14 hours ago, namaradus said:

Not necessarily

In my case... for me, oh yea.

I'm more a builder than a player.

I keep my game pretty well striped down. Minimized for the project at hand. 

Now days, if I need or want something in my game - I usually make it.

In any case - I want to thank you for chineing in when you did.

Not only did I correct and clarify  the information I had but gained some history as well. 

Your information will be carried forward. 

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, playervlad1999 said:

Thank you for this discussion.

I am afraid such fundamental discussions we will not see here that fast again.

Unfortunately Namaradus deleted his account at LL due to the best private reason I can think of.

I miss his knowledge much here at LL.