Question for AAF animators

In my time here it has really surprised me that I haven’t seen any animations involving the various robots (Mr. Handy’s, Protectrons, Assaultrons etc.) of the Commonwealth. Is this simply because no animators have wanted to make the animations? Or is it (as I suspect) a technical limitation of AAF and/or FO4 itself?

The most obvious possibility in my mind is if FO4 uses the same racial ID for all robots regardless of model, AAF wouldn’t be able to distinguish one type of robot from another and thus be unable to call the correct animations.

AAF and FO4 should be able to handle robot animations. There are separate races set up for different kinds of robots (though some kinds might be grouped together in unexpected ways).

I believe the reason they haven't appeared in animations is that nobody (to my knowledge) has made animation rigs for them.

16 minutes ago, dagobaking said:

AAF and FO4 should be able to handle robot animations. There are separate races set up for different kinds of robots (though some kinds might be grouped together in unexpected ways).

I believe the reason they haven't appeared in animations is that nobody (to my knowledge) has made animation rigs for them.

Thanks for the info. This is actually very encouraging because there is always a chance that a talented animator will come along and be inspired to create the needed rigs. Where as a programming limitation within FO4 would be nearly insurmountable.

I think it just boils down to most animators being uninterested in making sex animation mods for Fallout 4. I honestly thought that with the emergence of AAF we'd see a huge influx of sex animators returning to this game but it doesn't seem to be happening. Though I will say I at least greatly appreciate the effort that our current group of animators put into their work ?

52 minutes ago, heroscomeback said:

I think it just boils down to most animators being uninterested in making sex animation mods for Fallout 4. I honestly thought that with the emergence of AAF we'd see a huge influx of sex animators returning to this game but it doesn't seem to be happening. Though I will say I at least greatly appreciate the effort that our current group of animators put into their work ?

Let's not also forget that getting hold of any 3DS Max from 2012-2016 is Bloody Dam hard if not impossible without Braking the law. ( Not recommended)

On 9/8/2019 at 8:22 AM, heroscomeback said:

Hm. I don't know. To me, it seems like the amount of animation has been somewhat comparable to Skyrim in terms of number of active animators at a given time. I seem to remember chunks of animations showing up sporadically there too. It's just been going on a lot longer now.

I think there is already quite a lot of animations for FO4, from several different animators.

On 9/9/2019 at 6:17 PM, dagobaking said:

Hm. I don't know. To me, it seems like the amount of animation has been somewhat comparable to Skyrim in terms of number of active animators at a given time. I seem to remember chunks of animations showing up sporadically there too. It's just been going on a lot longer now.

I think there is already quite a lot of animations for FO4, from several different animators.

Seeing the animation packs in the new AAF section does help make you realize that there is still quite an active animation modding community for this game.

On 9/7/2019 at 2:50 AM, Number24 said:

In my time here it has really surprised me that I haven’t seen any animations involving the various robots (Mr. Handy’s, Protectrons, Assaultrons etc.) of the Commonwealth. Is this simply because no animators have wanted to make the animations? Or is it (as I suspect) a technical limitation of AAF and/or FO4 itself?

The most obvious possibility in my mind is if FO4 uses the same racial ID for all robots regardless of model, AAF wouldn’t be able to distinguish one type of robot from another and thus be unable to call the correct animations.

I would answer this as 'yes, sort of, there is a technical problem.'

I have looked into this a little bit, but the ways the robots are rigged is very different from the ways the critters are rigged. I think robots can be animated using the normal process, but it would be a lot of work. My 3ds knowledge is not good enough to fix this problem, but if no one else does, I might make another try in the next year or so.

1 hour ago, Gray User said:

I would answer this as 'yes, sort of, there is a technical problem.'

I have looked into this a little bit, but the ways the robots are rigged is very different from the ways the critters are rigged. I think robots can be animated using the normal process, but it would be a lot of work. My 3ds knowledge is not good enough to fix this problem, but if no one else does, I might make another try in the next year or so.

I would suspect some Bots (Assaultrons) could have junk added easy enough, like we do to Claws and Mirelucks. Others might have no more than an extra appendage with junk attached. Probably could animate just the thrusting arm. I think most would love some effort to get Synths (early) sex ready......See, we just figured it all out, from the no geek talent guy in the peanut galery..?

1 hour ago, maddadicusrex said:

I think most would love some effort to get Synths (early) sex ready..

Synths are already done, really.  They use the human skeleton so all that is needed is a morphable penis.  You can make one wear a morphable strap-on and everything works as expected.  Someone just needs to make cool looking dongs for them.  The old "Synth Clamp-Ons" mod would be a good basis, just make those morphable and it would work great.

For the less humanoid robots, it looks like there is some system in place to add bones onto a simple base skeleton. So, imo, you need an animation rig that targets the bones as the game ends up putting them together.

So, someone with 3D knowledge would need to look through the files to figure out what the "live" skeleton is.

Some of that info could be figured out too by decompiling the existing robot animations or maybe using F4SE functions (I think there are some there to get skeleton info).

Archived