ReadMe's?

jack_crow

18 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Maybe there's a way to attach a small script that checks if the user reads the readme? If they don't then the mod doesn't work or something? IDK. I'm just being stupid....ignore me as usual. :classic_laugh:

In related news..... I just love when MA's say about their mod "It does a lot of shit and it's too much to list". So, there I am looking over the files and loading the esp in X-edit to see what the fuck it is doing. Conflicts? No, none that I'm aware of says they. X-edit says otherwise.

I won't say who, but as a kick in the teeth to those who wouldn't read the OP or the Readme, a mod was made for FNV that absolutely wrecked your game.  Completely.  When folks posted in the tech support section on this mod causing all kinds of havoc and CTD's and so on, folks were absolutely brutal to them that the mod wasn't broken, it was doing EXACTLY what it said it would do, and that they failed to properly read about what they were installing.  It was both brutal and hilarious.  It got the point across pretty damn quick at the time.  Folks started reading OP's and readme files.  

13 minutes ago, gregathit said:

I won't say who, but as a kick in the teeth to those who wouldn't read the OP or the Readme, a mod was made for FNV that absolutely wrecked your game.  Completely.  When folks posted in the tech support section on this mod causing all kinds of havoc and CTD's and so on, folks were absolutely brutal to them that the mod wasn't broken, it was doing EXACTLY what it said it would do, and that they failed to properly read about what they were installing.  It was both brutal and hilarious.  It got the point across pretty damn quick at the time.  Folks started reading OP's and readme files.  

I got hit with a joke mod one time. It didn't crash my game or anything, but it did leave me scratching my head for awhile until I figured it out. :classic_biggrin: Doesn't Ashal's Sexlab check for a legal copy of the game? Why couldn't a similar check be made if a readme is opened or not? You could put the readme in the game and make it automatically pop up or something too. More work initially, but it might cut down on people asking the same shit over and over again.

I used to write READMEs for my mods, but now I put the same information on the download page.  This lets potential users see exactly what the mod does before they download it.  It's also better for users, since pretty much everyone uses a mod manager nowadays, so putting a readme in the archive is just extra work for them.  It's also less work for me, since it makes uploading or updating a mod a one-stop-shop on the same page instead of having to edit a document and put it in the archive.

I can see the concern about documentation being lost in the future, but I don't see that being an issue as long as LL is around.

I miss the days when computer games came with an actual printed manual.  One with useful information.  I think one problem with readme's and documentation in general is that many times they contain too much information the user doesn't need, and rarely have the exact information they need to get something working and solve problems.  Computer users have been trained to ignore documentation by poorly written readme's.  This isn't to say that there aren't some really good one's out there, I've seen some really good examples here on Lovers Lab.  A read me needs to be short and to the point with no unneeded verbage.  If a writer wants to add supporting information on tools and methods add it to a section at the bottom, not the top of the readme.

• 1 month later...

I Love, love LOVE it when numbers just speak.

Literally 1(.1) in 10 people reads the read-me.

stats2.jpg.2b4603b08d4d294f4b978ec8aa0f9fb1.jpg

stats1.jpg.a5d044800a5fdfd848d822243bfa1512.jpg

On 8/17/2019 at 3:29 AM, gregathit said:

A German insurance company had it part of their call scripts, to inform their clients to ALWAYS read the customer agreement, before signing.

There was this line in the 'fine print':

"Until it is claimed at least one time, whoever reads this line, and calls us with code (a code here) will receive 20.000 euros tax free."

(Or something to that extent).

It took years before someone finally claimed the money.

I needed a read-me to understand how to use mods. I needed a read-me to understand what a mod did and if it was compatible with my game, expansions, current mods, etc.

If a mod doesn't have a read-me included, I copy the text from the website, and make a .txt to insert into the mod folder using download name info. It's all quite tidy and works for me, but then again, I'm a bit older and have learned from most of my mistakes.

On a side note, I find it amusing when someone having me sign something seems impatient when I stop to read through it....

Archived